• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
2n1vkp.jpg

Authorities say two uniformed officers encountered Akai Gurley between the seventh and eighth floors of a dimly lit stairwell during a vertical patrol in the Pink Houses.​
[...]
“nervous” rookie cop, in a tragic misfire, fatally shot an unarmed man without a word of warning in a Brooklyn housing project stairwell late Thursday
[...]
The innocent victim’s helpless girlfriend recounted Friday how she was left to watch Akai Gurley die after the single gunshot tore into his chest during a routine police patrol gone horribly wrong.

“What happened last night was a very unfortunate tragedy,” said NYPD Commissioner William Bratton
[...]
“... It appears this may have been in fact an accidental discharge.”

Officer Peter Liang, who fired the fatal shot, “heard a noise,” a police source told
[...]
“It was dark. He must have been nervous.”

Gurley, 28, was not a suspect in any crime or engaged in illegal activity when Liang fired his weapon once in the pitch-black stairwell,
[...]
Gurley had just entered the stairwell near his steady sweetheart’s seventh floor apartment at about 11:15 p.m. when Liang fatally shot him in the chest, said the source and the girlfriend.
[...]
two only used the stairs because the building elevator was slow.

“I shot him accidentally,” Liang told colleagues afterward. His partner never fired his gun
[...]
Devastated gal pal Melissa Butler, with tears pouring down her face Friday morning, said the officer coming downstairs from the eighth floor blasted Gurley without explanation.
The only sound was the deafening echo of the gunshot in the stairwell
[...]
“They didn’t identify themselves,” said Butler, 27, who began dating Gurley in January 2011. “No nothing. They didn’t give no explanation. They just pulled a gun and shot him in the chest.”
[...]
terrified couple ran down to the fifth floor before Gurley collapsed in a pool of blood. Butler, who was standing alongside her boyfriend when he was hit, recalled their frantic final moments together as she begged Gurley to keep fighting.

“Yo, you OK? Talk to me!” she recalled shouting. “He wasn’t saying nothing. That was the last thing I said to him.”
[...]
said the officers never came down to check on the mortally wounded man, and medical help was only sent after she banged on a neighbor’s door for help.
“She opened the door and said, ‘Yo, is somebody hurt?’” recounted Butler, holding a damp washcloth over her red and swollen eyes. “
[...]
‘Yeah, my boyfriend.’”

Gurley died at Brookdale University Hospital shortly after his arrival by ambulance
[...]
“My heart goes out to the family of the young man who was lost,” said Mayor de Blasio. “We don’t know enough but it does appear to have been an accident. And look, we’re going to do a full investigation.”
Liang, who joined the force in January 2013, was placed on modified duty after turning in his gun and badge
[...]
Local politician Charles Barron condemned the shooting as an outrage.

“They didn’t find a gun,”
[...]
“And believe me, if he had anything, if he had a slingshot, they would have put that in the report. This is incredible.

“I want to hear the justification for this one.”
Just a short time earlier, Butler had braided her boyfriend’s hair inside her apartment. She said the slain man lived with his 2-year-old daughter in Red Hook, and was just about to start working for the city.

The NYPD, in a press release, said the two uniformed officers were on a vertical patrol in the building when they came down the stairs
[...]
One of the officers fired a single shot, but further information was not provided. It unclear why the officer fired, and a police source said Gurley was not armed.
[...]
NYPD press release described the stairwell as “dimly lit.”

Police Commissioner Bill Bratton was expected to brief the media about the shooting at an 11:30 p.m. press conference at police headquarters in Manhattan.

Both officers were taken to Jamaica Hospital for treatment of tinnitus.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...28-brooklyn-housing-project-article-1.2018724
119qamd.jpg

Akai Gurley.
swwrw7.jpg

Blood stains the stairwell where an NYPD officer fatally shot Akai Gurley, 28.​

“What happened last night was a very unfortunate tragedy,”

And a crime. Why sugarcoat it chief?

Officer Peter Liang, who fired the fatal shot, “heard a noise,” a police source told
[...]
“It was dark. He must have been nervous.”

Must have been an inept piece of shit who had no business holding a badge or a gun in the first place. Who shoots at a noise? What the fuck!? Oh a noise, KILL IT!!!

said the officers never came down to check on the mortally wounded man, and medical help was only sent after she banged on a neighbor’s door for help.

Wow.

Hope there's responsible people looking after his daughters interests and are able to secure her the multi million dollar fortune she has coming via the corrupt city of New York.

Both officers were taken to Jamaica Hospital for treatment of tinnitus.

Awwwweee, poor officers hurt their ears.

why would they allow a rookie inside buildings in a project without enough training not to shoot at noices? Bad enough it was an innocent unarmed man but what if it had been kids? they play on the stairs all the time. He needs to be dismissed immediately. It's funny if I was there and heard a noise and shot someone I think they'd consider it more than just a tragedy, you'd be seein how Gawdawful I look in orange

why would they allow a rookie inside buildings in a project without enough training not to shoot at noices? Bad enough it was an innocent unarmed man but what if it had been kids? they play on the stairs all the time. He needs to be dismissed immediately. It's funny if I was there and heard a noise and shot someone I think they'd consider it more than just a tragedy, you'd be seein how Gawdawful I look in orange

Needs to be charged immediately. Sounds open and shut to me. They weren't there responding to a crime, from the sound of it this was some routine patrol. No one threatened him, he didn't see someone raise a cellphone and thought it was a gun or any of the multitude of other things that get innocents shot by cops. He simply heard a noise in the dark and decided to open fire indiscriminately.

And if it's true that help didn't arrive or wasn't notified until the gf went and did so herself, it means the cop didn't even realize he hit anyone. Just fired and said fuck it.

Needs to be charged immediately. Sounds open and shut to me. They weren't there responding to a crime, from the sound of it this was some routine patrol. No one threatened him, he didn't see someone raise a cellphone and thought it was a gun or any of the multitude of other things that get innocents shot by cops. He simply heard a noise in the dark and decided to open fire indiscriminately.

And if it's true that help didn't arrive or wasn't notified until the gf went and did so herself, it means the cop didn't even realize he hit anyone. Just fired and said fuck it.
or fired and said 'oh fuck' and scooted out.

NYPD rookie officer shot 'innocent' unarmed father dead in Brooklyn stairwell by 'accident' as girlfriend watched in horror

• Peter Liang shot Akai Gurley in the chest in a 'pitch black' stairwell
  • Cop was with partner Shaun Landau when he was patrolling Pink Houses
  • Gurley, 28, was hit in the chest while standing with girlfriend Melissa Butler
  • She claimed the officers did not present themselves before the encounter
  • Commissioner Bill Bratton said the victim was a 'total innocent'
  • Told a press conference that 'everything points to accidental discharge'
  • Liang has been stripped of his gun and badge and placed on modified duty

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2844570/NYPD-rookie-officer-shot-innocent-unarmed-father-dead-Brooklyn-stairwell-accident-girlfriend-watched-horror.html#ixzz3JmN7Un7t

yep he needs to be charged as far as Im concerned cop or not
this shits popping up again and again
theres going to be huge crap going down
with this happening and the verdict expected in Ferguson these 2 cities are going to collide
If they don't charge cop in Ferguson that will get people in NYC flipping
If they do charge him people are going to flip
NYC needs to act fast and not slow like Ferguson
they need to get on top of this now or shits gonna hit the fan

29p3r86.jpg

10ynsc3.jpg

'All he is, is an innocent guy walking down the stairs who was killed for no apparent reason at all. Going home to his baby mother and his kids,' Pringle (center), 18, said on Saturday.
Akai Gurley has prior convictions, sister says innocent when fatally shot by rookie NYPD cop
Relatives gathered Saturday morning at the Harlem headquarters of the National Action Network - ahead of a rally scheduled for that night. At one point Rev. Al Sharpton brought Gurley’s 2-year-old daughter to the microphone. Sharpton said little Akaila had something to say. But she didn’t part her lips.
He didn’t deserve to die.
[...]
fatally shot by a clumsy rookie cop at a Brooklyn housing project, had been busted more than two dozen times. His convictions included trespassing and drug possession.
But in the moment the unarmed man was gunned down in a dark stairwell Thursday night, he was an innocent man, his sister Akisha
[...]
“All he is, is an innocent guy walking down the stairs who was killed for no apparent reason at all. Going home to his baby mother and his kids,” Pringle, 18,
[...]
He’s always been a nice person,”
[...]
“Very giving, very kind, and he’s not this criminal that you all picture him to be in the media. So whatever he’s done in his past, that doesn’t justify what happened to him that night.”
Probationary Officer Peter Liang was one of two cops conducting a vertical patrol inside a building at the Pink Houses in East New York, Brooklyn. It was about 11:15
[...]
A police source told
[...]
that Liang was holding his Glock 9 mm. pistol in one hand and a flashlight in the other. Liang, who joined the force in July 2013, had just entered the pitch-black stairwell on the eighth floor when his gun accidentally discharged,
[...]
Gurley, whose girlfriend had just braided his hair, was 14 steps away from Liang when a bullet - possibly a ricochet - tore through his chest. Gurley, 28, who was with gal pal Melissa Butler, 27, ran from the seventh floor down to the fifth floor where he collapsed.
Liang’s partner, Officer Shaun Landau
[....]
“I’ll never be able to see him again, kiss or hug him again,” the victim’s sister said. “That hurts me and I know it hurts my mother.”
Relatives gathered Saturday morning at the Harlem headquarters of the National Action Network - ahead of a rally scheduled for that night.
[...]
Rev. Al Sharpton brought Gurley’s 2-year-old daughter to the microphone. Sharpton said little Akaila had something to say
[....]
“She told us she wanted to say she loved her daddy," Sharpton said.
The fired-up reverend called for a complete investigation.
“The police department must deal with its training, must deal with its procedures,”
[...]
The (Brooklyn) District Attorney must deal with a thorough investigation,”
Gurley’s common-law wife, Kimberly Ballinger, sat silently while Sharpton said the family would be without a husband and father
[...]
“What we do know is this baby will grow up without a daddy who did nothing wrong,”
[...]
A police source said no decision has been made yet whether to fire Liang, who remains on modified duty - stripped of his badge and gun. Probationary officers can be canned without a departmental hearing.
Gurley’s death hung over the Pink Houses like a dark cloud on Saturday. Butler, wearing a black coat that read, “Defend me in the battle,”
[...]
But her 10-year-old niece, Janice Williams, referred to Gurley affectionately as her “uncle.”
“He was a good man,” the little girl said. “He didn’t hurt nobody. He didn’t do anything. They didn’t have to shoot him. The man they shot was my uncle.”
[...]
family is waiting until after Thanksgiving to make burial arrangements.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...iminal-record-innocent-shot-article-1.2020342
v4lzes.jpg

Gurley’s common-law wife, Kimberly Ballinger (pictured), sat silently while Sharpton said the family would be without a husband and father on Thanksgiving.

U know, if neither parties saw each other, don't turn this into a race issue. Charge the cop, yes, he was negligent. But Sharpton? I didn't like u when I met u here at the polling station and I continue to feel that way. This man was not targeted for his gender/race/criminal history.
FFS.

you never shoot at 'a noise'. imagine if every gun owner did...oh wait, some have. regardless, it could have been an innocent mouse. instead it turned out to be an innocent father. this 'rookie cop' should be charged.

and should probably get some help considering he apparently has some major ptsd if he is shooting at noises in the dark.

ooooops, oh ooooh, I ah, heard a noise. So I instinctively just shot. That person should go right to jail, do not pass go. A disgrace to the NYPD, not that I'm a big supporter, even less now.With the money the family gets, I hope the kids get a great education. Education is the answer. It wont get daddy back, but will give you some of tools needed to get through the tough formative years.

U know, if neither parties saw each other, don't turn this into a race issue. Charge the cop, yes, he was negligent. But Sharpton? I didn't like u when I met u here at the polling station and I continue to feel that way. This man was not targeted for his gender/race/criminal history.
FFS.
i agree, and i do not really care for the man. however, are you gonna stand up for her and hers? i know i am in no position to, but i am no one to deny her any help she can get.

"Liang was holding his Glock 9 mm. pistol in one hand and a flashlight in the other."

Seriously, they patrol with guns drawn, safety off? There's a recipe for disaster.

QUOTE: Liang was holding his Glock 9 mm. pistol in one hand and a flashlight in the other.
Seriously, they patrol with guns drawn, safety off? There's a recipe for disaster.

Sounds like he had the same training that Barney Fife from Mayberry received and he was only allowed to carry one bullet! :meh:

There is no need for this person to be on the streets, much less in a uniform. I feel if it was a dog that got killed in the same manner, PETA would have had the cops lock him up already. The COPS should not get special rights to kill unarmed, innocent civilians living in their own buildings. To say even at first, to put him on modified duty, is an affront to all reason.

Unfortunately no choice, union contract
You can't just fire union, state or fed employees, even if they murder someone

i agree, and i do not really care for the man. however, are you gonna stand up for her and hers? i know i am in no position to, but i am no one to deny her any help she can get.
Absolutely I would if I were in a position to. But let's face it, he's not exactly synonymous with victim defending when only one race is involved. And Liang doesn't exactly sound Anglo/African American.
I'd love to see a time where he stood by a white woman raped by a white cop, or rallied for a black women killed by a drive by shooting where a black man was involved. Where is he then? That's all I'm saying.

"Liang was holding his Glock 9 mm. pistol in one hand and a flashlight in the other."

Glocks don't have external safeties unless they have been retrofitted with them. All a Glock's safeties are internal -- and are switched "off" when the trigger gets pulled.

New York has had problems in the past with negligent discharges; hence, the creation of the "New York trigger" for the Glock, with a heavier than standard trigger pull.

--Al

Thanks for the info about safeties on LE weapons, did not know that, but still disturbed that they, or at least he, was patrolling with a drawn weapon. Responding to a call regarding to an assault in the stairwell would be an entirely different matter.

DAO weapons normally don't. Conventional DA pistols -- such as the the various SIGs and Berettas -- do. Whether it is an actual safety or only a decocker depends on the agency's requirements.

I am also bothered by the notion of patrolling with a drawn weapon.

--Al

Back