• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...-ptb-drowned-baby-st-0328-20150327-story.html

The infant girl's 23-year-old mother told Cpl. Donald Evans the baby was fussy so she took the baby into the bathtub with her, but fell asleep. About 6 a.m., the baby's father saw them in the tub and the infant appeared unresponsive. He was performing cardio-pulmonary resuscitation when medics and police arrived, the police report states.

Evans learned the baby was going to be moved to Chicago for treatment later, the report states.

Not sure if this is considered a crime BUT I think it's a crime. A crime of stupidity at the least. Since it says that dad found them at 6am she must have taken the baby to the tub at 3 or 4am. I'm sure she was tired and very sleepy, her judgement had to be very bad to do this.

Last edited:
I agree. I think she was very sleepy with baby up in night and fell asleep in the tub. I can see a mother climbing in tub of warm water to soothe a crying baby. A stupid choice...but I don't believe she had intent in any way to harm her child.

This falls right along the lines of those women that forget their baby in the car. It's hard to determine intent. You want to feel bad for them, but it is generally difficult to.

I'm calling bullshit. Are there no other ways to quiet a fussy baby in the middle of the night?

I don't have kids, but most of you do. Has taking a bath at 3am ever been in your top 10 things to do to quiet a child? How about top 20?

I'm calling bullshit. Are there no other ways to quiet a fussy baby in the middle of the night?

I don't have kids, but most of you do. Has taking a bath at 3am ever been in your top 10 things to do to quiet a child? How about top 20?
I agree. You sure as hell wouldn't have seen me running a bath at 3am unless the baby had shit all over themselves. And if that was the case, you sure as shit wouldn't have seen my ass in there too.

I never took baths or showers with my kids. Slippery wet me plus slippery wet baby doesn't sound very relaxing.
I suppose she could have drowned the baby and pretended to be asleep so her partner would find her and believe her. It's preferable to think that it was a terrible accident, though.

Bath and sleeping? Sorry, I've tried the whole relaxing bit candles included and the water gets too cold after about 20 minutes I don't know many Moms with slippery fussy babies that can fall asleep within 20 minutes and then not wake in cooling/cold water. Sounds a bit hinky to me.

Has taking a bath at 3am ever been in your top 10 things to do to quiet a child? How about top 20?
Hell NO! Putting my kids in the tub when they were babies was close to one of the last things I would do to try to soothe them. And not because I might have fallen asleep with them in there but because it would wake them up even more.

Little known fact about me: When I was a baby, the bath relaxed me so much that I pooped pretty much every time, so reliably that my parents kept a little green fish net on the side of the tub, and I always slept after. So, I imagine it varies by child. :p

We can't criminalize questionable judgment. Take co-sleeping, for example. I didn't even consider it for a moment. It increases SIDS risk by five-fold and substantially increases the likelihood of suffocation. But co-sleeping has doubled since the mid-90s despite being recommended against by the AAP. My own sister did it with both her children. I think it's rolling the dice, but should it be criminalized?

Parents do some pretty extreme things to get babies to sleep when they themselves are sleep deprived. Occasionally, it goes terribly wrong. Nothing but education will reasonably prevent this sort of thing.

giving my kids a bath when they were babys they would always cry about something wah wah wah one of my grandaughters shes 4 bitches the whole time im helping her it has never been a relaxing experience for me or them i was thankful when they got old enough to do it themselves. My son cried every time i would wash his hair. I hope the baby makes it but i cant see falling asleep the tub would get cold unless she has a fancy bathtub that stays warm,

When you have kids, you never sleep again. I haven't slept in 18 years! lol. Seriously, no, This has never been on my list. Not even my top 50. You don't get into a tub in the middle of the night with a fussy baby when you haven't had any sleep. But people do stupid things when they are that tired.

I'm sorry after being on this site for awhile I just DONT BELIEVE it... And I would even go as far as to believe it was actually the dad who drowned the baby and convinced the mom to lie for him and totally take him out of the death lie all together...

Back