• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...oliday-jailed-melissa-humphreys-a8061766.html
[....]
Melissa Humphreys, 33, from Essex, has been sentenced to three years after she defrauded her elderly parents Elizabeth, 70, and Terence Fordham, 80, out of £130,000.

She was left her in charge of her parents' finances while they were away for four years. The couple had sold their home and settled their debts before travelling across Europe in a motor home.

When they returned to the UK, they discovered all the money had been cleared out of their accounts and that the borrowing limit had been reached on five credit cards in their names.

They had almost £55,000 in their savings account and left the details with their daughter, who was 21 and training to be a financial adviser at the time.

Prosecuting, Matthew Bagnall said: "While Mr and Mrs Fordham were travelling around Europe in their motor home and to assist them with financial matters, they arranged for their daughter to have bank account details i.e. savings to pay for any expenses incurred through their credit cards.

"This was restricted for day to day management for the parent's expenses and not for personal gain or use."
melissa-humphreys-2.jpg

However the court heard that Humphreys had taken money from their account to pay for her bills after her husband had been made redundant.

The couple noticed their money was missing when they tried to pay for their other daughter, Gail, to join them in Spain but there was not enough in their account to buy a ticket.
[....]
"I love my daughter Melissa too much. She is my first born and the sun shone from her eye. When my two daughters were growing up, neither of them wanted for much and I could provide for them.

"I don't understand to this day how or why she did this to us. She has let the whole family down."

The parents have cut all ties with their eldest daughter after receiving threatening phone calls and emails from her.

Wearing black leggings and a black jumper, Humphreys cried as her crimes were laid bare in the court.

Defending, Steven Levy said: "This defendant at the age of 21 was given responsibility of a considerable amount of money and was a very mature person having gotten married at a very young age.
[....]
"She used money as a mechanism to live out lives of others that she could not afford. When asked what she used the money for it was not for the renovation of her house, flashy cars or anything like that but instead to maintain her lifestyle and pay off bills.

"Her husband had been made redundant several times and she was struggling financially. Her house was repossessed. She tried to sell the house to pay back her debt but her husband blocked this.

"At first she would take £50 and pay it back at the end of the month but it soon spiralled out of control.

"She said it came as a relief when this all came to an end in 2010.

"She has lost her family and friends and support of her husband as a result of this. Her parents are rebuilding their life after this but she is not a part of it. She is all alone.

"She is extremely remorseful and she is trying to rebuild her life but just recently she got into a relationship that was bad for her mental health. Also she has been forced into an abortion of a child because of someone else and this has affected her mental health."

However the court heard that Humphreys had taken money from their account to pay for her bills after her husband had been made redundant.

Say what??

Did she get a second husband, so the first one became redundant?
Is this a weird polite British way of saying someone was laid off?
Other?

Sounds like she's still a spoiled brat who can't take responsibility for her own actions.

"Her husband had been made redundant several times

Redundant is their way of saying laid off or fired, sounds like he couldn't keep a job if his life depended on it. Too irresponsible, too lazy to keep several jobs, it seems.o_O

I can tell none of this is her fault, it's all the fault of everyone around her. Doesn't take responsibility for herself or her very bad decisions, sounds like she and her husband are two of a kind.:rolleyes:

British
(of a person) no longer employed because there is no more work available.

Google Dictionary comes through again for me! Yeah this entitled bitch is a sham. I wonder how she faired as a financial adviser... probably extremely poorly .

So she is a financial adviser specializing in demonstrating how badly someone can bugger up their finances given half a chance.
Got it.

Her parents trusted her so much they never looked at a statement? Surely that was also part of the defense:" I was tempted because they trusted me too much, it's their fault."

Say what??

Did she get a second husband, so the first one became redundant?
Is this a weird polite British way of saying someone was laid off?
Other?

@Mitchfb is correct. It means they have been laid off, because there is no work for them. To get fired in the UK would indicate you'd done something wrong at work to be let go, caught with your hand in the till or something ....

Her house was repossessed. She tried to sell the house to pay back her debt but her husband blocked this.

Uhhh...sounds like the bank “blocked this” because, ya know, she no longer owned the house.

At first she would take £50 and pay it back at the end of the month but it soon spiralled out of control

You mean...like in 4 years, 48 months, she forgot to pay it back 2,600 times?

Back