• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
[
A woman serving a life sentence for killing her newborn baby in 1993 was re-sentenced Thursday to 25 years to life, and will be eligible for a parole hearing next summer.

Melisa McManus
Melisa Ann McManus, now 41, was re-sentenced in a plea agreement on her first-degree murder conviction for the death of her infant son, found in trash bags May 6, 1993, on the banks of Susquehanna River.

McManus, who was 16 when she killed the baby, was convicted at a non-jury trial a year later and sentenced to the mandatory life term.

She was now resentenced due to a 2012 U.S. Supreme Court decision that deemed life sentences against juveniles unconstitutional.

She will be eligible for a parole hearing in June 2018, having served over 24 years.

McManus is the seventh of 12 inmates - previously serving life for killings they committed as juveniles in Lancaster County - to be re-sentenced.

Appearing via video conference from a state prison in Muncy, McManus told Lancaster County President Judge Dennis Reinaker "not a day goes by that I don't think about my son."

"I don't know how to forgive myself. I really didn't mean to hurt anyone. I just didn't understand it."

McManus has no family she is in contact with, and intends to live at a halfway house in Williamsport upon release, her defense lawyer said.

/QUOTE]
http://www.pennlive.com/news/2017/11/woman_serving_life_for_baby_ki.html

I wonder if she is really sorry or not.

I think she is sorry ... but it worries me that she doesn't understand why she did it, especially

when she has had so long to consider all of the why's and how comes.

I can easily explain why I thought murdering my other children would have been a good idea,

I thought they should be in a better place like sister ... its that simple.

So why this woman doesn't have an explanation or seem to understand is concerning for the

rest of us or any other child she has contact with or becomes the parent of.

Last edited:
that she doesn't understand why she did it

I think her saying, "I just didn't understand it" was in reference to not understanding why she did it. But when she was 16 not understanding the gravity of the situation. She was probably just a scared young girl who panicked. Part of me says that situation really sucks but the majority of my brain says you murdered a baby bitch!

My youngest son was born in May 1993 ..
I still think of him as a baby even though he's 24 ..

My mom still considers me a child.
Mind you I am the baby of the family but 53 next week FFS
Been out of diapers a good 9 years now.
True I still suck my thumb and breast feed as often as possible.

Migod...that is some peoples fetish.
I was only kidding.:vomit::vomit::vomit:

My youngest son was born in May 1993 ..
I still think of him as a baby even though he's 24 ..

Evil bitch should have received the death sentence!
I understand why you feel that way (my baby boy is 23 now) but I’m pretty sure the Supreme Court also struck down the death penalty for juveniles.

To his dying day, a little over 2 months ago, my dad called me his baby. He had a bad habit of talking to anyone and everyone and whenever I would be somewhere with him he always said something about his "baby" and pointed to me. I'll be 54 next month. I miss my dad, but I'm glad no one calls me a baby anymore.

Part of me is thinking 'you murdered your baby', and part of me knows she was only sixteen and likely clueless. =/

She's served 24 years. That might be enough in this case. :shrug:

I don't like being conflicted. :sorry:

Meh. I have no problem with this.

Shit I did and decisions I made when I was 16? Nowhere near where my moral compass lies today.

She’ll do 25 of her sentence, however she needs to come up with something better than “I don’t know why I did it” for the parole board.

One can only hope that she received quite a bit of counseling and has begun classes to reintegrate into society.

Back