• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

rebl1128

Honored Guest
NApekml.jpg

Ky. woman convicted in slayings of her parents and brother found dead in jail cell

A woman who admitted plotting to kill her parents and brother in one of Adair County's most notorious murders was found dead in her jail cell Wednesday.

The death of Meg Wellnitz Appleton is being investigated as a suicide, said Lisa Lamb, spokeswoman for the Kentucky Department of Corrections.

Appleton was being held at the state's prison for female offenders at Pewee Valley. Staff members found her about 7 a.m. Wednesday.

[...]
Appleton pleaded guilty in 2005 in the murders of her adoptive parents, Joseph and Beth Wellnitz, and her brother Dennis Wellnitz.

Joseph Wellnitz, 50, was a well-known veterinarian; his wife, who was 40, helped in the clinic. Dennis Wellnitz, 20, was attending college.

An accomplice, William Harry Meece, was convicted of sneaking into the Wellnitz's home outside Columbia and shooting all three victims more than once, reloading to finish off Dennis Wellnitz.

The murders happened in February 1993. State police doggedly pursued the case for a decade, finally getting a break when Meece's ex-wife agreed to provide information.

Money was the motive in the crime. Appleton got $300,000 in insurance after her parents were killed, and Meece expected to get a share, the prosecutor said.

[...]
Appleton was serving a sentence of at least 25 years without parole.

Meece claimed he had nothing to do with the killings. A jury convicted him in less than two hours, however, and the judge sent him to Death Row.

He continues to fight the conviction and sentence.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2014/02/13/3087148/ky-woman-convicted-in-slayings.html#storylink=cpy

I have a nasty interest in adoption murders, but this chick wasn't some messed up little adopted kid working out mommy/daddy issues - no attachment disorders here. I looked for some more info and found that she was Beth's daughter from a previous marriage and had taken the step-fathers last name. Both of her parents are NOT adoptive.

This is something I think about too much becuase I may one day try to adopt and I'd always said that I don't really care if I get a baby... but all of the stories with little adoptees who turn psycho kind of make me nervous...

I thought I recognized the name Wellnitz. I think I saw a show about this case on Discovery a while back, she had it all and what she didn't have she could get, all she had to do was just be a good girl and she couldn't even do that. Hooked up with a loser and decided she would take it all. Yeah, goodbye to bad rubbish. Sorry to family.

Oh, the sad, pathetic land-whale killed herself... So? Not one soul gives a flying fuck...

Not true, this soul does give a flying fuck.

She committed the crimes when she had just turned 18 and even though the crime she committed is
unforgivable she was not all bad. She loved her son and often did things for others.

I love it how they pick a picture of her in which she was arrested for something other than this crime to make
it seem like she is gloating.

Some of you are cruel jerks.

She committed the crimes when she had just turned 18 and even though the crime she committed is
unforgivable she was not all bad. She loved her son and often did things for others.

I love it how they pick a picture of her in which she was arrested for something other than this crime to make

A woman who admitted plotting to kill her parents and brother in one of Adair County's most notorious murders was found dead in her jail cell Wednesday.

Sure, she was such a wonderful person that she had her family killed for money.

If she loved her son so much she shouldn't have gotten herself locked up.

She was a selfish cunt.

You are saying she was arrested before for something else? Care to tell us what it was and why it would be worth smirking over? (I honestly thought that was her drivers license photo, until you told me differently.)

Hmmm, SON? @justin003. If so, you need to understand that because all of these people hate that she did these things and chose to leave her son, we feel she was cruel. It is probably best that you not read these comments because we will never be able to know the good she did, we just know what she has chosen to do to her family. If this is her son, please be gentle with yourself and know your parents nor your past dictate anything regarding you or your future. Good Luck to you and I am sorry you had to read these things and they hurt you.

Justin 008 is probably a kind person, but totally off course. Like many "good" people they think first of the perpetrator of obscene crimes as some kind of victim. Meg Wellnitz, was not uneducated,-she was in fact-well eductated- with many opportunities that many other people don't have. She was not a victim. She willfully sought out and employed a man to kill her family. and then eluded detection for a good number of years. It's interesting to note that the actual killer is on death row- he would not be there if not for Ms Wllnitz- if he deserves the death penalty so does she. Ms Wellnitz got up every day, went about her business, went to school, she would not have wanted to be murdered, she knew right from wrong. Sympathy and pity should not be wasted upon her- she doesn't deserve it. If you have an excess of compassion-seek out a more worthy cause.

It seems to me that she loved her self and money more than her son...she killed his grandparents and uncle...which sent her to prison and also left him without a monster....oops mother. She felt entitled to the same way of life she lived all her life...instead of working to earn her way up to that way of life. She wanted it instantly...so her parents and brother became dispensable.

She was "...all that bad" and more. She was guilty of the murder of her parents and brother! For money! So what if she loved her son? She loved money more than she loved him. Murdering her family trumps everything else she's ever done. She is (was) a murdering, selfish, despicable, excuse for a human being and you are a cruel jerk for defending her.

I actually know Justin. He's an acquaintance of mine, and I find him to be very naive about some things quite often but he's not a bad guy. Justin, a question for you. Do you look at how great a serial killer is because they let a couple of people go free? No? The reason is because nothing they ever did that was good cancels out the truly horrific shit they did that was just plain fucked up. You knew Meg rather well but not well enough to know she was a pathological liar and a murderer. Maybe you are just mad that she fooled you for so long. Yeah, you and her son have to live with this shit but if she gave a flying fuck about anything she wouldn't have done that in the first place.

I knew Murderin' Meg and Bill Meece(I saw him slap his wife in the face at a doctor's office if that tells you the level of that shit sandwich's morality). Both were disgusting and deluded. I cheered when she died and I'll do the same when they put Bill down.

I actually know Justin. He's an acquaintance of mine, and I find him to be very naive about some things quite often but he's not a bad guy. Justin, a question for you. Do you look at how great a serial killer is because they let a couple of people go free? No? The reason is because nothing they ever did that was good cancels out the truly horrific shit they did that was just plain fucked up. You knew Meg rather well but not well enough to know she was a pathological liar and a murderer. Maybe you are just mad that she fooled you for so long. Yeah, you and her son have to live with this shit but if she gave a flying fuck about anything she wouldn't have done that in the first place.

I knew Murderin' Meg and Bill Meece(I saw him slap his wife in the face at a doctor's office if that tells you the level of that shit sandwich's morality). Both were disgusting and deluded. I cheered when she died and I'll do the same when they put Bill down.
Oh good, I missed the last episode of American Horror Story- I have a feeling this is going to be even better!
:popcorn:

Back