• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://fox13now.com/2018/01/15/man-rescues-mysterious-dog-found-wandering-salt-flats-close-to-death/
[....]
Matt Bentley said he headed out to Knolls with his dog Bella Sunday, as an early celebration for his best four-legged friend turning three years old.

“Just going 4-wheeling, it’s actually my dog’s birthday [Tuesday], so I wanted kind of wanted to take [Bella] to a new spot,” he explained.

While driving around the popular off-roading area, he spotted something running in the distance and said he realized it was a dog.

He jumped out of his Jeep, and said the pup came to him when he called her. Bentley put her in his Jeep and eventually took a video of the clearly lost dog.

"Middle of nowhere on the salt flats, probably been out there forever,” Bentley says in the video.
[....]
dtovmxlvwaavo_v.jpg

[....]
The dog needed serious help, so he took the pup to a vet and from there was able to get in touch with the Utah Animal Adoption Center (UAAC).

“I have never seen a dog in that bad of a shape,” said Lila Oulson, the UAAC shelter manager.

She took the mysterious lost dog in, and said the pup is suffering from a severe case of sarcoptic mange as well as malnourishment.

“She’s scabbed over, she has sores on her, and then she has no fur,” Oulson said.

Oulson can’t even tell the breed of the dog, but said she appears to be older in age and has signs of bearing puppies.

The dog had been out wandering the desert and salt flats for at least three months, if not more, Oulson guessed.
[....]
Despite the rough few months this dog’s had surviving the elements in such terrible condition, Oulson indicated the dog’s personality and spirit have stayed in good shape.

“She’s just being so sweet,” Oulson said. “She wants to be around people.”

Oulson has even already given this miracle dog a name: Kelly. Oulson said it means ‘warrior.’

“She’s going to be a fighter, she’s got to fight this,” Oulson said.

Kelly has started eating food and Oulson said the vet has administered medicine. She expects Kelly to make a full recovery, but Oulson said it’ll take at least a month.

Anyone wanting to contribute to Kelly’s recovery can click hereto fill out a form and Oulson said they need to specify in the comment section that it’s a donation for Kelly.

UAAC scanned Kelley for a microchip, but Oulson said the dog doesn't have one.

If they can't track down Kelly's original owners, Oulson said they plan to adopt Kelly out to a new family as soon as she’s healthy.

Man that dog kinda looks like a cross between beef jerky and a chicken wing.
How can people be so damn cruel?

Sweet baby. :)

I admit to wanting to shank bitches here and again.

But every violent impulse I have is quelled at the threshold of children or animals.

And thankfully even towards the humans who seriously NEED a shanking. Otherwise I would be in the pokey. :shifty:

I don't see how that is possible in a Utah autumn/ winter.
I think they are way off on the dates as well. The salt flats are super cold in the winter months. This december it averaged around 18f(-8c). That dog would have been dead very quickly in temps like that. The scabbing is mange, and its got no signs of frostbite on the ears or tail.

Even dogs with fur get frostbite on those parts if left outside for long periods of time in the cold. This dog would have had very little food at the salt flats and no food + no fur would have been a death sentence long before 3 months ever rolled around.

I'm half tempted to adopt this dog myself. The only problem with it is that it would have to live outside. No inside dogs for me. Inside the house is reserved for humans and cats.

On Jan. 15, the dog found wandering the Bonneville Salt Flats — now known by many fans as Kelly — was malnourished and appeared to be at death's door.

Now, Kelly is "happy, eating well" and "way more restless," says Lila Oulson, Utah Animal Adoption Center manager.

"I’m pretty sure she’s gonna make a full recovery," she added.

The shelter has been treating Kelly's sarcoptic mange with medication, and Oulson says the "crusty, scabby" stuff that covered much of her skin has fallen off. In two more weeks, she should no longer be contagious, after which she can go out on her first walk in a while.

"She wants to go out for a walk and hang out with people," Oulson said. "She loves being around people."

And people, it seems, love Kelly.

Since Kelly's story went viral, the shelter manager said, well-wishers around the country have been sending in money and gifts, including toys, blankets and treats. A woman from Maine even sent the dog a new coat.

So far, a few people have come forward claiming to be Kelly's owner, but Oulson says the shelter needs "positive proof," such as photographs showing she belongs to them, before the dog can be turned over to anyone.

Though Kelly's hair has started to grow back and is "white with some black, short and fuzzy," the shelter manager says it will be difficult to identify her in photos until the hair finishes growing in.

If an owner isn't found, Kelly will surely find a loving home. The shelter noted over Facebook that she has received "many" adoption offers.
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900008683/dog-found-in-salt-flats-happy-and-recovering.html
dd7c6f7808

Back