• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/1...urn-10000-nonrefundable-cans-in-michigan.html
A Michigan man who authorities say was trying to return more than 10,000 cans and bottles for 10 cents apiece has pleaded guilty to one count of beverage return of nonrefundable bottles.

The Livingston Daily Press & Argus of Howell reports that Brian Edward Everidge of Columbiaville faces up to five years in prison at his Nov. 3 sentencing.
[....]
Authorities have said that Everidge was stopped for speeding April 27 by state police in Livingston County. Inside the truck he was driving were aluminum cans and glass bottles that police were told were from Kentucky.

To legally get a bottle or can refund in Michigan, beverages must be bought in the state.

Now that's some high crime there. Glad Michigan is on top of bottle piracy!

Inside the truck he was driving were aluminum cans and glass bottles that police were told were from Kentucky.

But he didn't get any money for them, that's obvious since they were still in his car. As far as I can tell by the article, he hadn't even got to the recycling place. Just What?! Is there a law that says if you drive around with cans in your car then you intend to return them and commit fraud?

Watch out for this guy ....

He is a Master of Diabolical Plans :p (quite innovative actually) :shrug:
Cleaning the streets and making some coin ;)

10 thousand cans @10 cents each is only 1 thousand dollars.
Hardly seems worth the trip. Cost of the fuel and all that driving.
It sure isn't worth 5 years in prison.

Even if he told the police it was his plan to redeem them illegally, he did not complete the transaction so how can they convict?
This fellow is tiny compared to a $14 MILLION recycling fraud scheme in California.
http://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...ts-14m-scheme-to-bring-recycling-from-arizona

The amount seems inflated in this article because it's very difficult to find a place that gives you back the full CRV (California Redemption Value) when you turn in your recycling to the centers. Every place in my town gives a per pound value. If you want the full CRV back you need to find a place that scans the bar codes and you have to feed the bottles/cans in one at a time, like at Re-Planet. It takes forever.

Intent to commit fraud? Who gives a shit. He'd be ripping off a corrupt, hopeless gov't, not any honest hard working people who actualyy matter. Fuck Michigan.

Intent to commit fraud? Who gives a shit. He'd be ripping off a corrupt, hopeless gov't, not any honest hard working people who actualyy matter. Fuck Michigan.

And those cans and bottles were not going to the landfill either. Give the man a slap on the wrist and a medal made from recycled aluminium!

How the fuck are they gonna know they were from another state? What a dumb fuck. Just recycle the can and make him drink a glass of Flint water and call it good.

It just seems like a slippery slope to convict him on a crime not yet committed.
In that case, I would already be in prison for life just from thoughts I've had from reading here.

Y'all know you'd be right there with me.

It just seems like a slippery slope to convict him on a crime not yet committed.
In that case, I would already be in prison for life just from thoughts I've had from reading here.

But they do that all the time... if someone just tries to hack someone to death but they're vaguely kept alive, should they not be charged with attempted murder? If someone attempts to kidnap a child for rape but the kid runs away, do we want the potential rapist to go free? Attempted crimes are treated differently than successful crimes in court (justifiably so), but do you really don't think that should have legal ramifications?

Thought crimes aren't the same as attempted crimes one bit to me.

But they do that all the time... if someone just tries to hack someone to death but they're vaguely kept alive, should they not be charged with attempted murder? If someone attempts to kidnap a child for rape but the kid runs away, do we want the potential rapist to go free? Attempted crimes are treated differently than successful crimes in court (justifiably so), but do you really don't think that should have legal ramifications?

Thought crimes aren't the same as attempted crimes one bit to me.
Whst you describe is actual crimes.

This man drove with some recycling items. That's not a crime.
Even admitting that he planned to turn them in for money in a state the csns didn't come from still isn't a crime.

He had a chance to change his mind all the way there, even waiting in line to return them is not a crime. Once he hands them over, a crime has been committed.

Whst you describe is actual crimes.

This man drove with some recycling items. That's not a crime.
Even admitting that he planned to turn them in for money in a state the csns didn't come from still isn't a crime.

He had a chance to change his mind all the way there, even waiting in line to return them is not a crime. Once he hands them over, a crime has been committed.

What do you mean? It is a crime to do this..... that's why they charged the guy. Attempted crimes are their own crimes under the law. The examples I gave are attempted crimes.... this is also an attempted crime. I'm pretty sure it says so on certain bottles.

I can understand why you don't think it matters (I wouldn't pursue this one, personally) but claiming attempted crimes are not a crime is a very odd (and incorrect) claim.

@spiff said
if someone just tries to hack someone to death but they're vaguely kept alive, should they not be charged with attempted murder? If someone attempts to kidnap a child for rape but the kid runs away, do we want the potential rapist to go free?
You described actual crimes.

Since when is it a crime to drive around with plastic bottles and aluminum cans?

A kidnapped child is in fact a crime.
If the kidnapper has ripped off the child's clothes, that's attempted rape.
Those are in fact actual crimes.

Is there a law on the books that says its against the law to drive with recycling items in your vehicle that I'm not aware of?

Explain to me where exactly the law was broken.

Something else had to have happened! If all you can come up with to charge somebody with is attempted recycling over state lines- please! He pissed himself a cop off! Five years for one offense is steep too!

Back