• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

sugarfree irony

Trusted Member
A MAN will appear in court today charged with the murder of a teenage girl stabbed on a bus as she made her way to school.

Christina Edkins, 16, died after she was stabbed once in the chest on the top deck of a bus in Birmingham, last Thursday.

Phillip Simelane, 22, will appear at Birmingham Crown Court this morning.

West Midlands Police were given authority to charge Simelane by the Crown Prosecution Service on Tuesday.

He was formally charged at 9am today, after he was taken back into police custody from a secure unit where his mental state was being assessed by medical experts.
6nqt6t.jpg

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/man-faces-court-accused-of-murdering-teenage-schoolgirl-on-bus-29132605.html

Christina Edkins inquiry finds missed opportunities to prevent killing
Report makes 51 recommendations after homeless man with mental health issues stabbed schoolgirl in Birmingham last year.
It emerged that Simelane's previous crimes include attempting to stab his mother, Priscilla, and punching a police officer. He had received a police reprimand for possessing a knife when he was 17.

Police had been called to his mother's home in Walsall, in the West Midlands, 21 times because of concerns about his violent behaviour, the first time when he was 14. His mother has said she tried in vain to get help for him.
When doctors examined Simelane in a secure psychiatric hospital after the attack on Christine they concluded – for the first time – that he had probably had paranoid schizophrenia since his early teens.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/...dkins-inquiry-missed-opportunities-birmingham

From April 2009 to December 2012 alone, he went through 17 mental health reviews or formal assessments by four organisations, involving a number of healthcare experts. Incredibly, none resulted in his detention under the Mental Health Act before Christina’s death on 7 March 2013.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2756416/Damning-report-reveals-12-years-social-services-failures

A new inquiry has been commissioned into the death of a teenager who was stabbed on a bus on her way to school.

NHS England confirmed the family of Christina Edkins, 16, from Halesowen, had written to request a further review into her killing.

The schoolgirl was killed on a rush-hour bus by paranoid schizophrenic Phillip Simelane in March 2013.

An earlier report found authorities missed chances to refer Simelane for mental health treatment.

Conservative MP James Morris recently raised the issue in the House of Commons and also called for a further review.

"It was commissioned locally but has wide national applicability," he said.

"How can we ensure that the lessons of this report and the recommendations are implemented nationally?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-30167105

This guy being allowed to be in the public with people sounds like a crime itself. What in the world were the dr's and health officials thinking. I mean the police being called 20 times because of his anger problems is not enough to take him off the streets, what in the world is? I guess only after taking the life of a young woman, it just might be enough now. Absolutely heart breaking, A coward he is. A lowlife piece of shit, coward.

This guy being allowed to be in the public with people sounds like a crime itself. What in the world were the dr's and health officials thinking. I mean the police being called 20 times because of his anger problems is not enough to take him off the streets, what in the world is? I guess only after taking the life of a young woman, it just might be enough now. Absolutely heart breaking, A coward he is. A lowlife piece of shit, coward.

I agree that it is a crime that he was out there to hurt her; but I am not so sure he is a coward as much as mentally ill. They were both failed utterly by the systems that should have kept her safe and him in treatment.

Back