• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
http://www.freep.com/story/news/201...inds-toddler-dead-detroit-apartment/84930348/

“On May 16, there was a 911 call about a woman down on the front lawn there,” Moreno said. “We’re not sure if it was a medical emergency or an overdose,” Moreno said.

“She was the mother of the victim, a baby boy," she said. EMS took the woman to a hospital in Detroit, then transported her the next day to a hospital in Ann Arbor, after which the woman was released, Moreno said.

On Wednesday afternoon, an apartment maintenance man was drawn to a unit by a bad odor and found the toddler's decomposing body, Moreno said.

Evidently, the toddler had been dead more than a week after being left alone, police said. Investigators were unsure about his exact age because he recently had a third birthday and may have been dying, or dead, on that day. Police would not disclose the date of his birthday.

Police have positively identified the mother and believe they have an identity for the child’s father, she said.

“If we can’t locate them, we will be releasing their pictures and asking for the media’s assistance,” she said.

At least one neighbor said she saw the woman and boy late last week, which conflicts with what police are reporting.

April Fowler, 28, said she last saw the boy's mother and the boy late last week, possibly Thursday, as the mother pushed the boy in a stroller to a nearby corner store. She said she was neighborly with the woman but not a friend.

“It was pretty much normal because she does on a day-to-day basis, early in the mornings or mid-afternoons — she walks her child in a stroller, goes to the store and comes back,” she said. But after several days went by without the woman appearing on the street, Fowler said she wondered.

“I said, ‘I haven’t seen her. I wonder, did she move?’ ” Fowler said. “And now she’s apparently missing, and that’s very alarming.”

Fowler said she would have a hard time believing the woman left her child alone, but she also said she didn’t see anyone else going in or out of the apartment in recent days. She said the complex has many single mothers, and she said that if anyone had heard a child crying in an apartment with no sign of his or her mother, someone would've called police.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...hs-aniaya-montgomery-miracle-murray/83511350/

I know I put it in the wrong forum, I reported it, I had a tooth pulled, my only excuse this morning.

:fish:

*Thanks @Athena, I promise to do better going forward into the future LOL:cool:

Last edited:
The missing mother of a toddler whose decomposing body was discovered in an abandoned Detroit apartment Wednesday has been found in a psychiatric ward at a local hospital, police said.

"The mother was located early this morning at a psychiatric unit," Detroit Police Officer Nicole Kirkwood confirmed Thursday morning. Kirkwood said the child's father has also been located, but he is not a person of interest at this point, since he's been incarcerated for quite some time.

More details were not immediately released by the police. Police declined to release what hospital the mother is in or why she's being treated.

Police said Wednesday that the mother had collapsed nine days earlier on the apartment's lawn and was hospitalized for at least two days. The mother could be charged in the boy's death for leaving her child alone in their apartment on Trumbull, west of the Lodge Freeway and five blocks south of I-94.

From @Valasca's link

All the locals are saying that the child starved to death. No one bothered to check her apartment when she was taken to the hospital.

Maybe had she been in a better mindset, she would've sent relatives to pick him up/stay with him? But if she has a history of mental illness, relatives probably aren't in the picture.

I feel sorry for both of them tbh.

All the locals are saying that the child starved to death. No one bothered to check her apartment when she was taken to the hospital.

I am thinking dehydration. Finding snacks at age 3 would be easy enough but if he can't reach a sink he is screwed.

I saw this on the news this morning. Oh how awful. I don't like this, there's no simple answer. Either this kid was surrounded by fucking idiots or there a crime committed here. Who watches a woman get taken away to a hospital and doesn't think ONCE about where the kid is? My nosey ass would have been all over that. I would have jacked the apartment open with a crow bar and made SURE that baby was safe. This makes no sense. I have a bad feeling.

What I thought was hinky was they said no one heard the baby crying after she left and she was released from the hospital after 2 days and she didn't come back to check on him and now she's been found in a mental hospital, could be setting up a crazy defense for, at the least, allowing him to die thru neglect.

Thank you @Valasca . As horrible as this toddler's death is, I feel a lot better with the understanding he died for reasons **NOT** related to being left alone for days on end, dying of dehydration and starvation. To die like that is a fate beyond terrible. :(

Well I am tired of these sad ass stories so I will stand up and say.

Kid died naturally or accidentaly. She tucked him into bed then tried to kill herself. She couldn't stand going back after she was realesed so she tried again. I want to be right. I know I am not. I want to be though. Just once.

Paramedics say she was coherent and didn't say anything about a child. Since they're pretty good at spotting the mentally ill, well...
Also too late to claim PPD

@cubby @Buffettgirl
March 2, 2018

Criminal charges were dismissed Friday against a Detroit mom who “snapped” and fled to a psychiatric clinic before her toddler son was found dead in her bed nearly two years ago.

Judge William McConico, of 36th District Court in Detroit, found Deanna Shanta Minor again incompetent to stand trial in the death of her 3-year-old son Aaron.

“The case was dismissed and (Minor) remains in the Forensic Center,” Maria Miller, a spokeswoman for the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office, said Friday.

“When the psychiatrists have evaluated the defendant and have determined that the person will not regain competence to stand trial, the case is dismissed. It then goes to the probate court for civil commitment proceedings. If the person later regains competence, the charges can be filed again and the person can stand trial.”

Minor also was found incompetent in November 2016 to stand trial in her child’s death.

Aaron Minor’s decomposing body was found May 25, 2016 in Minor’s apartment.

Police said the mother was found in a Downriver crisis center after her son’s body was found. The boy’s death was ruled a homicide by the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office. The cause of death was unknown.

Deanna Minor was charged with felony murder (child abuse), second-degree murder, first- and second-degree child abuse, and failure to report a dead body.
A maintenance worker in the apartment complex, near Wayne State University, discovered the child’s body after a foul odor drew his attention. There were no signs of trauma inside the mother’s apartment, authorities said.

Deanna Minor’s relatives say she was hospitalized because she was suffering from depression but that they was working out her problems with a local social service agency.

“Deanna had some problems, but social services was supposed to be working with her,” Minor’s grandmother, Beverly Mylum, said in a Detroit News interview not long after the child’s death. “She was a loving and giving mother. I didn’t see any signs of abuse.

“She was going through depression for a very long time. She just snapped. She was quiet. I have no knowledge of alcohol or drugs.”

Aaron Minor was described as an average toddler who was always well-groomed. The boy’s father, according to authorities, has been incarcerated for a long time.

Two social workers, Elaina Brown and Kelly Williams both Wayne County residents, also were charged in Aaron Minor’s death. Brown and Williams, according to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office, were grossly negligent and reckless in connection with their treatment of the case involving the boy and his mother.
The more serious charges of manslaughter and child abuse, both felonies, were dismissed against Brown and Williams in January 2017.

The women face trial next month in 36th District Court on a charge of willful neglect of duty, a misdemeanor.
Authorities said the social workers failed to perform a “legal” duty to protect the well-being of the child. But lawyers for the workers said they followed protocol and did everything they could to protect the child.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/n...2/mother-incompetent-toddler-death/111021214/
New%20clues%20in%20toddle%E2%80%99s%20death20160527214750_6088655_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

I'm glad they are charging the social workers, even if it's just a misdemeanor, neglect of duty, or some such. Might make them a little more proactive when dealing with a case with a mentally ill mother who has s child. And tell me, why are her relatives even talking about her and the baby at all, if they knew she was in the hospital why were they not looking for the baby? such a cute little boy with great big brown eyes, how can those relatives live with themselves, if she's incompetent then they are responsible for his death.

I agree social workers should be held accountable but the bigger problem lays with the laws that promote, incentivize and punish agencies that do not attempt to return children to their family of origin.

Biological mothers who were in abusive relationships and lost custody of their children have sued saying that it is wrong to remove their children from them and have won.

So children can be at risk of the abuse being visited upon them because the mother is the victim of happenstance or choice.

Also the ACLU fighting for people with mental health issues also has put children at risk.

Hate to say it but children like animals are treating more like property than human beings.

1615500187905.png

A judge listened to three days of testimony and reviewed records in the case, then tossed felony charges against two Children's Protective Services workers accused of causing the death of a 3-year-old boy by failing to do their jobs.

“I’m not in the business of doing what’s popular. I’m going to do what’s right,” 36th District Court Judge Kenneth King said, explaining his ruling. “And I’m going to make sure that justice is done.”

He presided over the preliminary examination of CPS worker Elaina Brown, 24, and her supervisor, Kelly Williams, 47, and dismissed charges of involuntary manslaughter and second-degree child abuse against them Thursday, citing insufficient evidence in the case.

Prosecutors charged Brown and Williams in connection with the death of Aaron Minor, alleging the defendants failed to properly follow up in the Detroit boy's case.

Back