• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

FlowerWhiskers

http://m.seattlepi.com/local/article/Charge-Upset-over-no-shopping-carts-woman-set-10620473.php

A three-alarm fire that gutted a Kent strip mall on Sunday may have begun because one store was out of shopping carts.

Court documents say the woman now charged with setting the fire had gone into the Dollar Tree Store at 23406 Pacific Highway S., then mentioned to an employee that there weren't any carts. She said she was going elsewhere to shop and left.

She returned and said something about "burning the store down," court documents say. She went to the greeting card aisle, then came back and announced, "The store is on fire."

(...)

The fire spread from the Dollar Tree Store to five adjacent businesses, including a post office, beauty salon and a gym. Seventy-five firefighters battled the blaze, which burned for 24 hours.

(...)

"That's her," the detective quoted the employees as saying. "She's been watching and taking pictures the entire time."

Poplawski is being held on $225,000 bail.

Its true. dollar tree doesn't ever have enough shopping carts.
That's where I buy those stoneware plates and bowls I make the bird feeders out of. I buy 30 to 40 plates and bowls at a time and it really sucks with no cart.
It never occurred to me to burn the place down.

That'll show 'em!

The next time 7-Eleven is out my monster, I'm gonna burn it down. Teach them a thing or two!

This woman has shown me the light. I now know how to deal with minor inconveniences. Thank you Linda!!!!!

What the hell did she use to set the fire, doesn't seem possible that a raging inferno started because she set a few cards on fire.

WTF! She can't even claim to be a young entitled millenial, she older than I am, maybe the onset of dementia, I can't really think of anything else to explain it, idiocy can't be explained, really.

ETA: I am so glad I don't work retail anymore.

She returned and said something about "burning the store down," court documents say. She went to the greeting card aisle, then came back and announced, "The store is on fire."
(...)
"That's her," the detective quoted the employees as saying. "She's been watching and taking pictures the entire time."

Seventy-five firefighters and a 24 hour blaze. The moral of the story is clearly Dollar Tree needs more carts! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I'm not sure why, but this story sent me into fits of laughter this morning. Possibly the woman's matter of factness about everything and then her sticking around to snap pics. Or maybe my own impending dementia, I dunno. :YOW: I do sincerely hope everything was insured and nobody suffers as a result of this woman acting out.

Ya think the employees at Dollar Store are a tad jaded? If someone marched into a store I was working at and announced something about burning the store down, it would seem prudent to get someone to follow them into the card isle, no?

In Breaking made up news ...

Turns out she saw a spider in the greeting cards section and she acted out a sense of community mindedness. All is forgiven.

If only Hallmark made a musical card that reads, "Fuck you for being out of shopping carts..." on the front, and when opened, plays "Ring of Fire", "The Roof is on Fire", or "Disco Inferno". Perhaps this situation could have been prevented. :devil:

Ya think the employees at Dollar Store are a tad jaded?

Usually when people say crap like that, they don't follow thru, they just wanna laugh at you when you go running to check. But then there's always that one person who's crazy enough to do it.

Ironically, every single shopping cart survived the blaze, as they were all out in the parking lot at the time.

Maybe this is just a freelance right-sizing program on behalf of Dollar Tree stores nationwide. If customers act independently to reduce the number of Dollar Tree stores down to a number that more fittingly corresponds to the total number of carts available, the surplus carts could be distributed throughout the remaining stores so as to provide a better shopping experience.

Burning down stores because we are dissatisfied with our shopping experience.
hmmmm.
Will be back later, need to go to Walmart.

If only Hallmark made a musical card that reads, "Fuck you for being out of shopping carts..." on the front, and when opened, plays "Ring of Fire", "The Roof is on Fire", or "Disco Inferno". Perhaps this situation could have been prevented. :devil:

Hahaa and then the cliche scene from movies walking in slow mo, fire, things blowing up behind her and she's walking away to some bad as music! yes yes, ring of fire!

Its true. dollar tree doesn't ever have enough shopping carts.
That's where I buy those stoneware plates and bowls I make the bird feeders out of. I buy 30 to 40 plates and bowls at a time and it really sucks with no cart.
It never occurred to me to burn the place down.
I love homemade bird feeders! how do you make yours?

I have been dying to see what Linda looks like since I've read this. I finally found a picture!

2pri3x2.jpg

A woman accused of setting a fire at a Kent strip mall while shoppers were inside was in court Monday morning to enter her plea.

Linda Poplawski is charged with starting a fire that gutted the Kent Dollar Tree store and two neighboring businesses in the 23400 block of Pacific Highway South earlier this month.

Witnesses told police they saw her walk into the greeting card aisle, angry over the lack of shopping carts, mention burning the store down and then exit 90 seconds later saying the store was on fire.

Her attorney said those may be conflicting accounts.

“There's several people mentioned at the Dollar Tree. Some people are alleged to have identified Mrs. Poplawski, so we believe identification will be an issue in the case,” her attorney said.

Though Poplawski has no criminal record, the crime is significant enough that she's still being held on a $225,000 bond.

Meanwhile, store owners like Rick Tillman are still dealing with the damage done from a fire that burned for more than 24 hours.

“By the time we got out, it was as if someone struck a big match and everything just went up in flames. I ran down and then got everyone out of my health club,” said Tillman.

Poplawksi's next court date is in less than two weeks. She pleaded not guilty Monday.

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/woman-faces-judge-in-arson-at-kent-strip-mall/471073485

Latest posts

Back