• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/09/12/denver-starbucks-tea-burn-lawsuit/
A woman is seeking more than $75,000 in a federal lawsuit after she and her dog were severely scalded when an improperly lidded cup of very hot tea spilled on them at a Denver Starbucks drive-thru window, killing the dog and disfiguring the woman.

Deanna Salas-Solano’s dog Alexander was so severely burned that he died at an emergency veterinarian hospital and Salas-Solano was taken to the emergency room of Rose Medical Center. She was later taken to the Swedish Medical Center Burn and Reconstructive Unit to undergo skin grafts.

Starbucks denies the allegations. “We have video evidence that clearly contradicts the claims made by the plaintiff and believe they are without merit,” the company said in a prepared statement.

“We look forward to presenting our case in court. While we are sympathetic to Ms. Salas-Solano and the injuries she sustained, we don’t have any reason to believe our partner (employee) was at fault.”
[....]
Salas-Solano is seeking compensatory damages in excess of $75,000 for injuries that included disfigurement, severe burns, emotional distress, lost wages and physical impairment.
[....]
Salas-Solano ordered a 20-ounce hot tea at the drive-thru. But she hadn’t ordered an “extra hot” tea, the lawsuit says. Starbucks employee Delaney Skaarer failed to properly secure the cup’s lid, didn’t double cup the tea or place it in a hot cup sleeve, the lawsuit said.
[....]
When Salas-Solano took the cup of tea in her hands, the hot temperature of the cup began to burn her hands and tea began to spill out of the unsecured lid and onto her body, the lawsuit says.

The hot tea melted Salas-Solano’s clothes and severely burned her. She felt intense pain to her stomach, legs and lap.She began screaming for help and writhing and moaning in pain, the lawsuit says.
screen-shot-2017-09-12-at-7-17-44-am.png

Her dog, Alexander, jumped onto her lap and the tea spilled on him, causing the dog to yelp in pain. Alexander died shortly after he was taken to a veterinarian hospital.
screen-shot-2017-09-12-at-7-17-09-am.png

Two percent of Salas-Solanos’ body surface — her abdomen and bilateral thighs — had second-degree burns. She underwent skin grafts.

Starbucks had received complaints before Salas-Solanos’ severe injury. It had written policies about how hot to serve teas and another one to double-cup hot tea, the lawsuit says.

But employees were also graded on how fast they served tea. A wall-mounted timer was used to ensure employees met speed requirements, the lawsuit says.

The dog should not have had free roam of he car.
Why not ... ? Our dogs free roam in the car ... no one dies, or gets burned. We use our own cups for hot beverages in the car ... Its just our preference ... Starbucks has no problem filling them up for us and screwing the lid back on. I get they need to be dicks and talk smack but ... this lady is totally going to win.

I think starbucks is at fault.

I hope we get to see that video they claim disproves her story.

Also, i curious about what exactly killed the dog. I see 2 small burn marks, is it possible she chose to have the dog put down rather than treat it at the vet?

What fabric was she wearing that very hot tea caused her clothing to "melt"?
Or is it badly worded and she means that scalding hot water on the clothing exacerbated the burn effect?

Why not ... ? Our dogs free roam in the car ... no one dies, or gets burned.
There are practical reasons to restrain a dog in a car. Children are restrained for their safety, why not a pet? A friend got in a car accident and his car overturned. His old dog was loose and was thrown around the vehicle. He had broken ribs, and a broken leg. Due to his advanced age, they decided it was best to put him down. If he had been restrained he would not have been badly injured.
Small dogs can also interfere the driver's feet if they get on the floor.

If he had been restrained he would not have been badly injured.

We had a seat belt for our puppy ... he eventually learned he liked it better in the car with out it and learned to stay in his seat, had he been in accident like the one you described ... He would have broken his neck for sure. I agree that seat belts can come in handy ... but to call them safer ... I don't think I agree. They might keep your dog out of your way so you can focus on driving ... but to think they're going to save your dogs life is a reach.

Never get a fucking hot beverage lowered to you, gravity is not your friend here! Just go the fuck inside.

Why not ... ? Our dogs free roam in the car ... no one dies, or gets burned. We use our own cups for hot beverages in the car ... Its just our preference ... Starbucks has no problem filling them up for us and screwing the lid back on. I get they need to be dicks and talk smack but ... this lady is totally going to win.
Having a dog loose in the car when you driving is dangerous. If you ever have an accent they become a projectile. They can also interfere with your driving by jumping in your lap. This poor dog got tea spilled all over him because he jumped in her lap.

What fabric was she wearing that very hot tea caused her clothing to "melt"?
Or is it badly worded and she means that scalding hot water on the clothing exacerbated the burn effect?

That's a really good question. Maybe cheap synthetic polyesters?

Rayon and nylon won't melt, but do soften and become more flexible submerged in hot water. They will burn, and melt if burned, but not by liquid.

The way it's worded, it seems they are definitely talking about the action of hot liquid on the clothing itself. There's a lot of different liquids and surfaces involved in these burns; I could understand her thinking, for example, that portions of her wet clothing had melted to her skin, when in fact the burns had adhered to the wet clothing. But that thinking wouldn't make it into a legal document, would it?

I'd be interested in seeing pictures.

@Burke
It's poor language. No clothing fabric melts at boiling water temps. If that was true, she could sue the clothing manufacturer.

And no dog dies from the few dime sized burn marks shown in the photos, unless he was already teetering on the edge of mortality. I am very skeptical of the driver's claims at this point and need to see more substantive evidence from both parties.

@Burke
It's poor language. No clothing fabric melts at boiling water temps. If that was true, she could sue the clothing manufacturer.

And no dog dies from the few dime sized burn marks shown in the photos, unless he was already teetering on the edge of mortality. I am very skeptical of the driver's claims at this point and need to see more substantive evidence from both parties.
Damn straight. I can't wait to see Starbuck's video of this, I have a feeling its going to be like that preacher who added "Fag" on his wedding cake at Whole Foods just to sue them, except this broad put a bit more skin in the game.

This poor dog got tea spilled all over him because he jumped in her lap.

I think her doggy is a lap dog. I'm not getting one of those until I'm in my seventies ... late seventies ... in fact by the time I get one .. i probably wont even have a drivers licence ...
[doublepost=1505338096,1505337684][/doublepost]
And no dog dies from the few dime sized burn marks shown in the photos,

I agree because Roadie who is a cat went screaming though our house in a ball of flames and when we put him out ... It was awful .. he was scabby for months. But he didn't die ... he still loved us ... and I'm not kidding when I say he was a ball of flames. He got scalded too ... that was trip to watch ... top of the fridge to the spaghetti pot ... out of the pot but with a kick out so the gas burner lit him up and then gone like a cat on fire ... literally. Then i nearly drowned him in ice water ... anyway he never died for like five years after that.

Back