• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
A graphic designer attempted to kill her mother by putting poison in a drink in a plot inspired by US TV series Breaking Bad, a court has heard.

Kuntal Patel, 37, denies trying to murder her "controlling and selfish" magistrate mother Meena by putting abrin in her Diet Coke drink.

Prosecutors said she was angry that her mother had "forbade" her from marrying her boyfriend.

Southwark Crown Court heard abrin is "much more poisonous" than ricin.

Kuntal Patel has pleaded guilty to two counts of attempting to acquire a biological agent or toxin last December.

She is alleged to have bought the poison from a site on the secretive online world known as the dark web, which allows users to be anonymous.

She paid for it using the virtual currency bitcoins, jurors heard. It arrived in a wax candle.

The graphic designer put the poison in the bottle and watched as her mother, who sits on the bench at Thames Magistrates' Court, drank it at her home in Stratford, east London, but nothing happened.

Prosecutor Jonathan Polnay said the poison was 1,000 times less toxic if swallowed rather than inhaled or injected.

The plot was "inspired, in part, by the US television series Breaking Bad", he said.

When her mother survived the poisoning, she confessed her plot to the seller, the court heard.

She wrote: "Something had definitely gone wrong somewhere as it is now early Saturday morning and still everything is normal.

"Yes target drank all of it. I made sure I watched her drink it all."

Kuntal Patel was arrested in January and told police she bought the poison in order to kill herself, but said when the parcel arrived, she became scared and threw it away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-29312281

Prosecutors say she was angry her mother "forbade" her from marrying her boyfriend Niraj Kakad.

Southwark Crown Court heard she penned a message to Mr Kakad saying: "I've not had much luck with guys."

"I've never even received a Valentine's Day card," the letter added.

The letter, which she never sent, continued: "I thank God every day for bringing you into my life. No-one has ever talked to me like you have. I trust you. I'll do all I can for you."

Mr Kakad flew to London to see her in June 2012 to give their relationship a go.

But Ms Patel's "controlling and selfish" mother was determined to break the couple up, the court was previously told.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-29367402

A woman who allegedly poisoned her mother in a Breaking Bad-inspired plot ordered a second batch of drugs after the first lot failed, a court heard.

Kuntal Patel, 37, has denied trying to murder her magistrate mother Meena by putting abrin in her Diet Coke drink.

Southwark Crown Court heard she was arrested when her emails to Jesse Korff asking for more abrin and ricin on the "dark web" were intercepted by the FBI

Jurors were told that after the first alleged attempt failed, Ms Patel, under the name Headgear, emailed Mr Korff on 20 December and said: "Something has definitely gone wrong somewhere because it is now Saturday morning and everything is normal.

"Yes, target definitely drank all of it. I made sure I watched her drink it all. I need this to work... I can't be with the man I love because my mother does not like him."

The email said she needed the deadly concoction to be "tasteless and untraceable".

It added: "I don't want her to end up with her stomach shredded and exploded and the doctors getting suspicious and telling police.

"Now having explained what I need, you can use your chemical knowledge to make it. Abrin/ricin seems the best way.

"Please, please know that I don't want to get caught and put in jail. I still have my future to live with the man I love, that's the only reason I'm doing this."

The court heard Mr Korff, who made his poisons in a lab at his home, reassured Miss Patel he had sent her real poison and said it had "worked" for his other customers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-29379382

A woman accused of poisoning her mother in a Breaking Bad-inspired plot has told a court she was beaten by her.

Ms Patel said her boyfriend Niaj Kakad had called her mother controlling, and when she told her this she erupted in fury and beat her.

"I think for her that was a sign of him being disrespectful to her," she said.

Ms Patel lived with her mother and younger sister Poonam in Plaistow, east London, where her mother kept tabs on her "24/7", jurors heard.

She said her mother "started slapping" her "on and off".

When she struck up a relationship with Mr Kakad, her mother quickly turned sour and tried to break them up, she claimed.

She denies trying to murder her mother, who sits on the bench at Thames Magistrates' Court, and one count of acquiring a biological agent or toxin, but has pleaded guilty to two further counts of attempting to acquire a biological agent or toxin.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-29413913

Here comes the "it was all a fantasy, I didn't mean it really" defence:

A woman who allegedly poisoned her mother in a murder plot inspired by the TV series Breaking Bad told a court she imagined herself in the show.

But Breaking Bad-obsessed Patel said the emails were a "fantasy" in which she imagined herself as a character in the American TV series.

Giving evidence at Southwark Crown Court, Ms Patel said: "It was like I saw myself to be some kind of Mexican drug warlord. I would think it through as if I was the main character in Breaking Bad.

"It was all a big mess. A complete and utter mess."

Ms Patel admitted she emailed poisons dealer Jesse Korff in America to demand deadly toxins.

But Ms Patel insisted the emails were just a way of her coping with her abusive home life and depression - and she never poisoned her mother.

She said: "By this time, because of the messages I received from my mum and because I couldn't cope with it and I wanted to escape from it all, I started to fantasise about trying to kill myself or my mum.

"It was as if I was thinking through it as if I was in my own TV programme or a character in Breaking Bad.

"I was in a really strange place in my mind."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-29425831

Oh, FFS, she is 37 fucking years old, get a job, move the fuck out and it's like magic, Mommy issues are solved. It's called growing the fuck up and getting a fucking life, also, it's WAAAAY more legal than murder. Once on your own you can marry whoever the fuck you want and Mommy can't abuse you anymore, it's pretty fucking neat how that works.

I mean, how about she move out and get married? What can she do after the deed is done? Nothing, really.

Unmarried women in Asian families can be in somewhat of a cultural strait-jacket. They need the family's approval for marriage (a lot of them have arranged marriages) if they want to stay "in" with their families.

I would really like to know where the father is in all this. And also, I am a bit surprised that a highly educated woman in a highly respected position would not encourage her daughter to spread her wings. I realise that we have only heard the daughter's side of the story so far, but living at home at 37? I agree there is something off. I'd like to know why they never managed to get her married off earlier.

Maybe she was trying to get a TWO FOR ONE deal. Kill momma, able to marry what his name and cash in on an inheritance!!! Sounded like a plan until the ding bat didn't know how to administer the lethal dose she was looking for.

Maybe she was trying to get a TWO FOR ONE deal. Kill momma, able to marry what his name and cash in on an inheritance!!! Sounded like a plan until the ding bat didn't know how to administer the lethal dose she was looking for.

Might be the case, if the father is deceased......?

Filipina employee of mine slept in the same bed with her mom 'til the day she married the man they picked. She was 33.

This poor, naive thing, I swear she was screwed before she ever got out of the chute. She should have done some research before she just jumped in and spilled her guts to a friggin' poisoner. :rolleyes: Anybody who's spent any time at all lurking the "Dark Web" *knows* you don't trust ANYbody who solicits the worst humanity has to offer.

I have to wonder when she told b/f she "hadn't had much luck with guys," in 37 yrs. if mom may have had something to do with that, too...o_O

Edit: O.K., that didn't "reply" correctly. Link = article re: her emails to poisoner.

Last edited:
Filipina employee of mine slept in the same bed with her mom 'til the day she married the man they picked. She was 33.
My second day in the Phillipines I had an old woman knocking on my door demanding money for spending the night with her daughter. It was indeed the girl's mother and she was mortified:crack:

A woman has been acquitted of trying to poison her mother in a Breaking Bad-inspired plot.

Kuntal Patel, 37, had denied trying to murder her magistrate mother Meena Patel by putting abrin in her Diet Coke drink.

The jury found Patel guilty of acquiring a biological agent or toxin.

The court heard Mrs Patel, who sits on the bench at Thames Magistrates' Court, was "hell-bent" on breaking up her daughter's relationship, and locked Patel in their home, beating and bullying her in a bid to get her to stop seeing Mr Kakad.

Patel, a Barclays Bank graphic designer who volunteered at the London Olympics, admitted fantasising about killing her.

The poison was allegedly hidden in a red wax candle and delivered to London, but Patel said she "panicked" when she picked the package up and threw it away.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29463602

Back