• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
347vecn.jpg
osbyx3.jpg

Arrested: The girl’s parents, Douglas L. Sherman, 64, and Kim Sherman, 60 have been charged with child abuse​
[...]
15-year-old girl was locked out of her family and forced to live in a shed with a bed made of cinderblocks for nearly two month
[...]
The helpless teenager eventually tried to reach out to her neighbor - begging for food and asking her to meet outside her family home
[...]
Officers said her parents forced her to live in a shelter that had no lights, no water, or a toilet, because she had tried to sneak into their bedroom to use the computer.
[...]
the girl’s parents, Douglas L. Sherman and Kim Sherman, have been charged with child abuse.
[...]
neighbor Kim Wilkinson alerted the authorities, they searched the premises and found a 12ft by 5ft shed attached to the back of the house.

Inside was a bed made of concrete blocks underneath a cardboard roof supported by plywood. The youngster was also forced to wash outside and was not allowed to go eat with her family.
[...]
was also reportedly made to do manual labor which included moving dirt around the garden.

Their daughter and her brother, who also is 15, have been placed in the care of county Child Protective Services.

Mr. Sherman, 64, pleaded not guilty on Friday to child endangering and intimidation, and to misdemeanor charges of telephone harassment and menacing. Mrs. Sherman, 60, pleaded not guilty to child endangering.

Both are free on bond, and are scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Friday
[...]
Squalid: A 15-year-old girl was locked out of her family and forced to live in this shed outside her family home in Ohio as punishment, police have revealed

Just for sneaking in their room to use the computer?? Please tell me theres more to the story. Besides the fact that these are shit parents, how does one do this to their child at such a hard age? Teens have so much more going on in their lives at this age, its too tramatic to add this to their issues. Hope they are in a good home now with positive support to help them. . .

I wish the justice system had a more creative way to punish dumb asses like these. For instance give them the same treatment they gave her. Buf of course that would be barbaric and would violate their rights and we cannot have that. Instead they will be given an attorney, given counseling, fined, and might have to serve time in jail some where. But their jail will be at least inside, they will be fed three times a day, given medical care if needed, allowed to take a shower inside, and so on. They won't even begin to understand the cruelty they forced on her and the extent of violating her rights.

Huh, two of their neighbors have pools. Didn't expect to see 2 swimming pools in bum fuck egypt Ohio. Guess it's a fairly affluent neighborhood, what 15 y/o girl doesn't have her own phone?

I understand Megan1993 my mother is a drama queen ginger, everything is about her, so I understand, I understand.

Abominable. "...begging for food." In what Universe do these sub-primates get that keeping a kid, let alone a 15 y.o. teen (and for two friggin' months?), in a stuffy-assed, wafer board shed "attached to the house" is a good idea? But for household overflow/storage, which they're obviously *not* using it for, I don't trust that gd room is a "shed" by a long shot. JMO, but that thing looks like it was thrown up and attached to the house for the very purpose it served. A psychological torture chamber. That old, one piece, Fisher-Price toddler's table and bench set is *very* telling. I shudder to think wth she and her brother have been through before this little gem was discovered. Thank the PTB there was intervention. I doubt if anyone would be shocked if we read this child had commited parricide.

He looks like a cunning manipulative controlling guy...something in the eyes...she looks totally blah like none of this means anything to her. Lock them up and throw away the key. Make them sleep on cinder blocks for a few yrs. under a cardboard roof. Don't provide them with water or toilet facilities or a shower. Make them dig in dirt. Give them just enough bread and water to keep them alive. Then show us their pics again. I'd love to see their expressions a few years in.

He looks like a cunning manipulative controlling guy...something in the eyes...she looks totally blah like none of this means anything to her. Lock them up and throw away the key.

Yeah, hate to play into stereotypes but when I saw the mugs I see domineering loser with fob Asian wife being ordered around (along with the rest of the family). Doubt this was the mom's idea, she's just along for the sick ride.

Bumpkins have to have pools, ponds or creeks, it's not like there is a neighborhood community pool to go to.
Those look like nice, fancy cement ponds, honey. Not them above ground pool doohickeys normally found in bfe Ohio. Which led to my conclusion of rich neighborhood, teenies with iPhones, etc, adding to the weirdo factor of the story. Normally these stories include 'trailer' in the first sentence lol.

I have no doubt this man will retaliate against the neighbor...my first impression of this guys pic was accurate. I'll bet he's a monster to live with.

Yeah, hate to play into stereotypes but when I saw the mugs I see domineering loser with fob Asian wife being ordered around (along with the rest of the family). Doubt this was the mom's idea, she's just along for the sick ride

I had to look up fob (thank goodness for urban dictionary). Fresh off boat. I never would have gotten that. I learn new things here all the time.

...was also reportedly made to do manual labor which included moving dirt around the garden.
Although my kids live in the house & are cared for by us I have to say they have to do things like "move dirt around the garden" and it's not considered manual labor, it's a chore. They also have to unload the dishwasher, take out the trash & pick up the dogs poop...so I guess I"m a slave driver?

Asian wives are not necessarily completely under the sway of their Western menfolk. They are very good at making it look like they are, but they tend to get what they set their minds to. I have watched it in action in a couple of marriages in my circle.

In this particular case, I guess the punishment was thought out by him, and she went along with it, choosing her battles and deciding that this one was not worth having, because it was mild out.

Asian wives are not necessarily completely under the sway of their Western menfolk. They are very good at making it look like they are, but they tend to get what they set their minds to. I have watched it in action in a couple of marriages in my circle.
I used to live in the SF Bay area, I came to think of them as "Dragon Ladies". One of my seemingly shy, quiet Fillipina employees broke every lamp, plate, and window in the house over a disagreement with her husband. However, in this case I suspect he's a domineering control freak, and she's the passive enabler.

Although my kids live in the house & are cared for by us I have to say they have to do things like "move dirt around the garden" and it's not considered manual labor, it's a chore. They also have to unload the dishwasher, take out the trash & pick up the dogs poop...so I guess I"m a slave driver?

I pictured their "move dirt around the garden" as, "Shovel this pile into the wheelbarrow. Now take it across the yard and dump it. Now take the dumped pile, shovel it back into the wheelbarrow, push it to another corner of the yard and repeat." Basically, pointless hard work to break her, rather than a contribution to the house's appearance. I could be wrong, just seems like what people do when they're dickish enough to make a kid sleep in a shed.

And congratulations on getting your kids to do chores. My sister taught her 9 and 7 y.o. to do their own laundry, and the wailing when they learned they also had to fold everything could be heard for blocks.

Anyone who has ever had to deal with a 15 year old, especially a 15 year old girl, should be able to 100% understand both the motivations and the definite benefits behind locking one up in a shed for 2 months. I can't say i can look down on these parents too much, scumbos that they are.

I pictured their "move dirt around the garden" as, "Shovel this pile into the wheelbarrow. Now take it across the yard and dump it. Now take the dumped pile, shovel it back into the wheelbarrow, push it to another corner of the yard and repeat." Basically, pointless hard work to break her, rather than a contribution to the house's appearance. I could be wrong, just seems like what people do when they're dickish enough to make a kid sleep in a shed.

And congratulations on getting your kids to do chores. My sister taught her 9 and 7 y.o. to do their own laundry, and the wailing when they learned they also had to fold everything could be heard for blocks.
I grew up on a farm, there were plenty of areas to mow and we had a mower. When I got into trouble, there were weeds to pull. I hated those weeds. I spent many hours pulling weeds.

Anyone who has ever had to deal with a 15 year old, especially a 15 year old girl, should be able to 100% understand both the motivations and the definite benefits behind locking one up in a shed for 2 months. I can't say i can look down on these parents too much, scumbos that they are.

You've raised a teenaged daughter (this isn't sarcasm, or a set up for a slam)? I only ask b/c w/o a sarcasm alert, your post is ambiguous. It reads as either humorous, or a serious POV. Just trying to clarify. I got the impression you were younger, although technically, you could have been an early bloomer.

Luckily didn't have to raise a teenage girl, but i've had the misfortune of being around them. Shed is mighty appropriate for all teens until they hit 18 and can leave the roost as far as i'm concerned.

I wish the justice system had a more creative way to punish dumb asses like these. For instance give them the same treatment they gave her. Buf of course that would be barbaric and would violate their rights and we cannot have that. Instead they will be given an attorney, given counseling, fined, and might have to serve time in jail some where. But their jail will be at least inside, they will be fed three times a day, given medical care if needed, allowed to take a shower inside, and so on. They won't even begin to understand the cruelty they forced on her and the extent of violating her rights.
I think a good year in Solitary would about do it. Its just about the same.A little 8X12 concrete box with No lights, no windows, no tv, no computer, out dated books donated from random old defunct library's, you eat alone, you have to shower in a dark little corner at the end of the cell block with zero cover and the AC constantly pumping so its cold as an eskimos balls. No clocks in view so you have zero comprehension of time. 23 hour a day lockdown, by that point your Begging for manual labor, believe me, I sure did.

March 17, 2015
Two parents accused of using "bizarre methods" to discipline their children avoided jail time and felonies on their records after accepting a reduced plea.

Douglas Sherman, 64, and Kim Sherman, 61, appeared in court, along with the 15-year-old daughter they were accused of abusing by forcing her to live and bathe outside of their Lithopolis Road home.
The girl's living conditions were described as "horrific" by Fairfield County Sheriff Dave Phalen. However, Fairfield County Prosecutor Gregg Marx is backing off those original observations by deputies, saying it was portrayed worse than it actually was.

"Frequently, she did stay in the shed because she wanted to," Marx said, adding that it was "only sometimes" used as punishment.
The two parents both accepted the same deal from prosecutors, pleading no contest to endangering children, a first-degree misdemeanor. Both were sentenced to 180 days in jail, with all time suspended. They also were ordered to complete two years of nonreporting probation and each pay a $50 fine.

Marx said the special conditions of the plea agreement made the offer worth it. The conditions required the Shermans to "permanently surrender their rights to her" and they were ordered to not have any further contact with the child.
As part of the plea, the girl's sibling was returned to the Shermans, which Marx said was based on Child Protective Services' suggestion.
1578228914125.png

Or the only place she found peace from these loonies was in the shed.

With her gone I wonder if they made one of the other children their designated target.

Back