• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
Two men have gone on trial accused of murdering a father-of-two in a Dumfriesshire village in August.

Andrew Brown, 23, and Dean Melnyk, 20, deny murdering Kevin MacKay by punching, kicking and knifing him at Peacock Place in Ecclefechan.

It is also alleged that they tried to set fire to items of furniture in an attempt to burn Mr MacKay's body.

Co-accused Jennifer Melnyk, 60, also denied a charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice.

Mr MacKay's ex-wife Melissa, 36, who had two children with him, told the court that he was a drug dealer and revealed that their marriage ended for that reason.

She said they broke up in 2008 and at the time of his death he was staying at a friend's home in Peacock Place.

Ms MacKay told defence QC Ronnie Watson, representing Mr Brown, that her ex-husband was involved with drugs.

She added that he was selling cannabis, cocaine and sometimes ecstasy to friends.

When questioned she also confirmed that she had known Mr MacKay was a drug dealer during their marriage.

Ms MacKay was then asked if she knew of 19-year-old Jamie Abba who died after taking fake ecstasy tablets in the summer of 2013 and she said she did.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-26534661

Two men are facing life sentences for stabbing a man they blamed for the drugs death of a friend.

Dean Melnyk, 20, of Lockerbie, was found guilty by a jury of murdering Kevin MacKay in Ecclefechan.

Co-accused Andrew Brown, 23, of Ecclefechan, had previously admitted the attack in August last year.

Judge Lord Armstrong deferred sentence until June when he will determine how long they have to serve before being eligible to apply for parole.

Melnyk said he was devastated when Mr Abba died and suffered nightmares and flashbacks in which his friend appeared to him and said: "Help me."

The court heard that at the teenager's wake Melnyk had become increasingly angry and at one point Brown - known as Buster - came over and spoke to him.

"Buster said 'We'll go and give Kesty a kicking' to try and cheer me up," Melnyk said.

He told the court that the two got a lift to Ecclefechan and, after going into another house in the village, Brown led him to where Mr MacKay was staying.

He added: "We both had a knife each - I saw Buster stabbing Kesty.

"Kesty was on his feet and Buster was stabbing him.

"I was in shock - Buster was turning the furniture over and shouting: 'You killed Jabba, Kesty.'"

Melnyk said Mr MacKay had spotted he had a knife and had grabbed his leg.

"I couldn't get him off me, he was much bigger," he told the court.

"Buster kicked him off and I began stabbing Kesty - I don't know how many times.

"The handle broke off the knife."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-27063609

Last edited:
Back