• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://wreg.com/2016/05/26/kay-jewelers-accused-of-swapping-diamonds-with-fakes/
NEW YORK — Diamonds are supposed to be forever, unless, as some consumers are alleging, you shop at Kay Jewelers.

Some customers are claiming that after they took their diamond jewelry to Kay Jewelers, the rare stones were mysteriously replaced with cheap imitations. Kay said that it is “actively reviewing this issue.” Shares of Signet Jewelers (SIG), Kay’s parent company, fell as much as 11 percent on Thursday, although the share plunge came after the company’s earnings fell short of analysts’ estimates.

Chrissy Clarius[....]would bring her $4,300 engagement ring, which was bought at Kay Jewelers, to Kay every six months to get it inspected, as this was part of the company’s gemstone guarantee that insures the stone will “last forever.” After taking the ring in February for its six-month checkup, she said the Kay employee couldn’t find the diamond’s certification number. Suspicious, she took the ring to another jeweler, who tested the stone and declared that it was moissanite, a cheaper stone.

“I felt sick to my stomach,” Clarius told the publication. She said she believed the original diamond was replaced during an earlier repair at Kay, and that she had never taken the ring to another store for repairs.

Clarius said when she took the ring to Kay for testing, they said the stone was a diamond. Another jeweler also said it was moissanite, however.
[....]
Facebook page called Boycott Kay Jewelers has become a clearing house for complaints, with consumers alleging issues including poor jewelry construction, shoddy repairs, and rings that were swapped out for other bands.

Clarius, for her part, wrote on Facebook that she’s filed a police report, a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and the attorney general’s office.

In a statement, Kay said that the chain has “rigorous processes in place to help ensure this won’t happen. When a guest brings their jewelry in for repair or service, it is diamond tested before it is sent out and when it is returned.” It added, “With that being said, we are actively reviewing this issue, as we do all customer concerns brought to our attention, as part of our commitment to customer care and continuous improvement.”
[....]
One woman said she was suspicious after her ring was resized at Kay’s because it lacked the sparkle that it had had before she left the ring there. An employee told her it was because she hadn’t seen the ring for a while, but when she asked another jeweler to check the certification number on the diamond, she learned that it didn’t match the stone in her ring.

She said when she returned to Kay to complain, they located her diamond and returned it to her, but she said the experience was stressful.

She noted, “It is a ring, it is a material possession, but it’s so much more than that.”

Diamond rings and weddings are the biggest rip-offs. I'm so thankful that I don't have daughters to get caught up in all that bullshit.

Kay Jewelers in Tucson did a diamond swap on the ring I purchased for my first wife back in the mid-'80's. I had checked the stone under a loup before I paid for it, but I let them do a "cleaning" before I laid claim to it. Some months later, we were doing a checklist for insurance coverage and decided to have it properly appraised by another jeweler. The stone that was in it had a huge, easily noticeable, carbon spot. That was absolutely not the same stone I'd bought. Needless to say, Kay refused to do a damned thing.

Dammit y'all gonna make me go get my fucking ring checked. I have to get it resized coz it doesn't fit. But so help me baby Jesus. I'll P a bitch in the F if any fuckery is to be found. Only coz I'm on my cycle and ain't nobody got time for that.
I'm not even vain. I just liked the damn ring. But it better be what I fucking paid for that is for darn sure. Argh.

Greedy people.

My ring was made special...with diamonds and gold he found here and there.

Surprise...I made you a ring. A big stone plus twelve...he calls it thirteen dirty diamonds.

I took it off once...he shoved it back on...hard. Gave me the if you do that again

I will kill you look...which I deserved because I was being a bitch.

Last edited:
but it’s so much more than that.”

What a stupid fucking uppity bimbo.

I have no sympathy for these people blowing that much money on something impractical. And on a diamond no less? That's one of the least interesting, least appealing stones. There's sooooo many VASTLY more beautiful ones out there. Fuck diamonds.

Most people care more about the sentimental value of their jewelry...to find out its a fake takes away from that. Its not necessarily the monetary value as it is the jewelry isn't what was originally gifted so lacks that meaning.

My most expensive piece I have is a claddagh ring I bought at the Renaissance Festival this year, sterling silver, no stone in it of any kind. Means more to me than any diamond. Never really cared for diamonds anyway.

Back