• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre on Thursday repeated the false claim that gay teachers in Florida have been forced to take photos of their spouses off their desks or risk losing their teaching license.

Jean-Pierre’s remark came during the daily White House press briefing, as she commented on Florida’s so-called “Don’t Say Gay” law, which was expanded on Wednesday to encompass all public school grade levels in the Sunshine State.

The law, championed by Florida Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, restricts classroom instruction related to sexual orientation and gender identity. It had previously only applied to teachers with students in pre-kindergarten through third grade and is formally called the “Parental Rights in Education” law.

Jean-Pierre on Thursday called the law “dystopian” before she made the false claim about teachers’ photos.

“As this measure takes effect, it will prohibit all students, up to seniors in high school, from learning about our — learning about or discussing LGBTQI+ people in the classrooms,” she said.

“Teachers in Florida have already faced the devastating consequences of the existing law. Under threat of having their licenses revoked, gay teachers have been forced to take down pictures of their spouses from their desks and censor their classroom materials,” Jean-Pierre added.

The claim has been shared widely on social media since last summer in the form of a meme, which also claims rainbow clothing was also being banned.

The false claim stems from comments made during a June 28, 2022, school board meeting in Orange County, where several teachers spoke about their concerns regarding the “Don’t Say Gay” law.

Teachers in Orange County had apparently learned that during administrators-only seminars, lawyers for the school district advised principals to discourage teachers from wearing rainbow items and displaying photos of same-sex spouses.

The school district later disavowed that guidance, and said it was not “formal guidance.”
A district spokesperson later flatly denied that gay teachers would be forced or even encouraged not to display pictures of their spouse in the classroom.

“All teachers are encouraged to keep pictures of their families in the classroom,” the Orange County school district clarified to teachers union members. “However, in K-3, it was cautioned against specific discussions in the event those discussions could be deemed classroom instruction on sexual orientation or gender identity.”

In response to a lawsuit filed by political advocacy group Equality Florida, the state of Florida also declared that there is “no merit” to the claim that photos of same-sex spouses in classrooms would lead to teachers’ licenses being revoked.

In a motion to dismiss the lawsuit, the state argued that “there is no merit … to the suggestion that the statute restricts gay and transgender teachers from ‘put[ting] a family photo on their desk’ or ‘refer[ring] to themselves and their spouse (and their own children).’”

The state said that those actions are not considered “instruction.”

Frankly I don't think pictures of any teacher's family should be in the class room. The teachers go there to teach and instruct not flaunt their families. I have never seen a family picture in a classroom. Don't know what the value would be to have it there. There are already too many distractions there anyway.

Frankly I don't think pictures of any teacher's family should be in the class room. The teachers go there to teach and instruct not flaunt their families. I have never seen a family picture in a classroom. Don't know what the value would be to have it there. There are already too many distractions there anyway.
I knew three things about my teachers' private lives when I was in grade school. Mrs. Lessinger was married to a dentist, because he came in to teach us how to properly brush our teeth in 3rd grade. Mrs. Alford lived in Australia for a year because her husband was transferred there, and we only knew this because she took a picture in Portland, Victoria, Australia and showed it to us while we learned about the geography of Australia. And Ms. Ford lived in the same condo complex my Auntie and cousin lived in. Third, fourth and fifth grades. Later in high school, my 11th grade English teacher was also the mother of a friend of mine. That's all I ever knew about their private lives. Because the rest was NONE OF MY DAMN BUSINESS. Just like kids today don't need to know anything more. It's beyond inappropriate if they do... :shifty:

Last edited:
I knew three things about my teachers' private lives when I was in grade school. Mrs. Lessinger was married to a dentist, because he came in to teach us how to properly brush our teeth in 3rd grade. Mrs. Alford lived in Australia for a year because her husband was transferred there, and we only knew this because she took a picture in Portland, Victoria, Australia and showed it to us while we learned about the geography of Australia. And Ms. Ford lived in the same condo complex my Auntie and cousin lived in. Third, fourth and fifth grades. Later in high school, my 11th grade English teacher was also the mother of a friend of mine. That's all I ever knew about their private lives. Because the rest was NONE OF MY DAMN BUSINESS. Just like kids today don't need to know anything more. It's beyond inappropriate if they do... :shifty:
My 8th grade English teacher was smokin hot,looked like Phoebe Kates,every dude in class wondered where she lived

My 8th grade English teacher was smokin hot,looked like Phoebe Kates,every dude in class wondered where she lived
I had one teacher, a coach, that was 'hot' when I was in high school. But I was too shy to notice at the time. I only recognized it 10 years later in a photo! Well, creepy coach Younglove was good looking, but he gave off creeper vibes from the start, and later got busted for getting a 15 year old pregnant. But he was nice to look at I guess... :woot:

if teachers want to bring pics of their family to school the proper place to display them would be the teacher's lounge not the classroom... if they can display their loved ones on the desk in classroom then students should have the same right ... wow wouldn't that be something g/fs, b/fs pics, mom and dad, even pics of pets cuz they are all your loved ones and yea part of YOUR family

I've been thinking of a new kind of school. A school where the teachers/administration, students, parents all sign contracts to be able to go/work there to abide by all the rules, rules that were put in place by parents and school admin and infractions are dealt with by the parents paying a portion of fines and the students who made the infraction working off their portion in the school by whatever is deemed appropriate by the admin and parents. Parents will be involved in everything. Of course this can be more fleshed out but I think holding parents, students and school responsible when needed is the way to go.

if a GAY, BLACK woman with a FRENCH surname cannot have pictures of her family, what does this say about our SOCIETY? they are the highest priority and should be the first to have their accommodations met.

if a GAY, BLACK woman with a FRENCH surname cannot have pictures of her family, what does this say about our SOCIETY? they are the highest priority and should be the first to have their accommodations met.
Equal rights, or highest priority, shitmouth?

Back