• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sister Iroz

Nun the worse for where
Bold Member!
Henry County police said a foster father was arrested and faces charges of cruelty to children and felony murder after a 20-month-old child died while in his care.

Police said Russell Chapman died on Oct. 10 at Egleston Children's Hospital from traumatic injuries.

The foster child lived with the Joseph Charles Todd Dunn's family in a foster-to-adopt home along with his 3-year-old sibling, according to reports.

“He always called papa, mama when he needed something,â€￾ said a woman who was Chapman’s foster mother before he lived with the Dunns.

She doesn’t want to be identified, but she does want you to know her pain.

“He was like my little boy. I suffer a lot,â€￾ said the former foster mother.

Pictures taken in the hospital show Russell unconscious. At first no one knew how it happened. Police now say they're sure Russell was killed, dying of blunt force trauma to the head.

Russell and his brother hadn't been with their biological mother since last year. Michelle Johnson denies mistreating them and says she had her suspicions early on about what happened. On Oct. 13, Johnson said her boys never should have been placed with the Dunns.

“From what I understand, the case worker said, ‘Don't put them in the home' and the Department of Family and Children Services did anyway. And in July, Russell had a broken arm,â€￾ said Johnson.

Now Johnson, and Russell’s former foster mother are left asking, "what happened?"

“That boy shouldn't be dead. Justice is good. He will have to pay for what he did,â€￾ said the former foster mother.

CBS Atlanta spoke to a representative for DFCS. She could not answer any questions about why Russell was placed with the Dunns in the first place.

Police said Russell’s brother is now with another foster family.
http://www.cbsatlanta.com/news/25812643/detail.html

foster_1116_752805l.jpg
[...]

Russell Chapman, a 20-month-old boy, lived with Joseph Charles Todd Dunn and his family, police said. Dunn took him to Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egelston on Sept. 27 because of seizures, but the doctors quickly realized the boy had been beaten, Sgt. Rene Swanson of the Henry County Police Department told the AJC Tuesday.

Russell died a week later, on Oct. 3, of blunt force trauma to the head, Swanson said. After an investigation that lasted more than a month, police charged Dunn with felony murder and cruelty to children in the first degree.

[...]

Dunn has no history of abusing children, Swanson said. He has two biological children -- a teenage girl and an infant, she said.

[...]
http://www.ajc.com/news/foster-parent-charged-with-743875.html

the case worker said, ‘Don't put them in the home' and the Department of Family and Children Services did anyway. And in July, Russell had a broken arm,â€￾

Sigh.

Is there a language barrier? Or are they lazy? Stupid? Inept? Ignorant? Living in fucking Fantasyland? I really don't understand why this shit happens so often? Why do they even assign fucking case workers if the goddamn DFCS completely disregards every fucking thing they say?

My heart and head is so tired of hearing this shit. It boggles my mind - which surely doesn't need anymore boggling.

i wonder why the case worker said that? i wonder why the biological mother didn't have 'em? and the former foster mother? why was he taken out of her care? soo many questions

What an ugly fuck...ugh.

On the other hand baby Russell was so cute, adorable child, no surprise there really. You can see him on this video...looking for a picture.

Rest in peace baby Russell Chapman, you deserved a fair chance at life.

Last edited:
ok, for all of those who posted negative, NASTY comments, who judged too quickly. THIS MAN WAS PRONOUNCED INNOCENT AND CHARGES WERE DROPPED. the child had a medical condition that was undiclosed by DFACS. there was a condition which caused seizures and death. this man and his wife lost their children, their home, their jobs and their finances due to this!!! and not even an apology for the suffering they have endured!

ok, for all of those who posted negative, NASTY comments, who judged too quickly. THIS MAN WAS PRONOUNCED INNOCENT AND CHARGES WERE DROPPED. the child had a medical condition that was undiclosed by DFACS. there was a condition which caused seizures and death. this man and his wife lost their children, their home, their jobs and their finances due to this!!! and not even an apology for the suffering they have endured!

proof?

This one had a bit more detail, but is older:

33ojotw.jpg

Looks like the murder charge was dropped at the preliminary hearing, but they are still pursuing the cruelty to children charge. After clicking F8, clicking the offenses will give you more information about what the prosecution alleges happened to that poor lil' guy. :sad:

Just because the murder charge was dropped doesn't mean he didn't do it. It could mean they don't have enough evidence to think they can prove murder.

Last edited:
Was the broken arm caused from a medical condition?
I'm betting no.

I don't know this guy, and I don't know if he is innocent, but I do know that when having a seizure, it is possible to break bones, bite off tongue, etc.
Not saying this guy didn't do it, just wanted to let you know that a seizure could have caused the broken arm.

Dont quite know what to say, 2 stories I read in a row where charges are dropped? Makes me wonder even more how many are there living in prison for the rest of their life for something they didnt do?

And so they should, if they are child abuses, this is a beautiful little thing, that exists in the universe, karma

the boy's older brother pushed him off the bed, breaking his arm. both boys came from a biological mother who was on drugs. the adopting family raised their now GROWN (beyond 20's) daughter. have NEVER EVER had ANY charges against them before. these boys already had been through enough strife going in and out of foster homes. of course, DFACS and the media will always post the negative 'newsworthy' side.

the boy's older brother pushed him off the bed, breaking his arm. both boys came from a biological mother who was on drugs. the adopting family raised their now GROWN (beyond 20's) daughter. have NEVER EVER had ANY charges against them before. these boys already had been through enough strife going in and out of foster homes. of course, DFACS and the media will always post the negative 'newsworthy' side.
There is always a first time for getting caught. Just because he never had other charges means nothing.

DFACS is SUPPOSED to take care of the negative things in a child's life. It's their job. As for the media, the public doesn't want to read stories of normal life. They live it.

Why are they charging him if the older brother did it?

What does Dunn's sainthood for taking on these poor ungrateful kids from a drug addicted mom have to do with it?
(My wording due to the tone of your posts).

Having raised a now grown child is a good sign in most people, but we here have read enough stories about real people to know that is no guarantee that a person won't abuse a child they foster, care for, are step parents of, or even adopt. Sometimes it seems that the lack of a blood connection and a little frustration is all it takes.

Having raised a now grown child is a good sign in most people, but we here have read enough stories about real people to know that is no guarantee that a person won't abuse a child they foster, care for, are step parents of, or even adopt. Sometimes it seems that the lack of a blood connection and a little frustration is all it takes.
Does not cut it. We have seen time and time again where ONE CHILD - for whatever reason - gets the brunt of the abuse. It does not matter how many "successful raisings" a parent has had or even the blood relationship (although foster and step kids statistically get more abuse").

Abusers ALWAYS have a "first". Prior success is NO guarantee - when it happens, it just shows how pathetic, heinous, selfish and evil they are. They, OF ALL PEOPLE, know better and CHOOSE to not follow that example. I actually find it far more disgusting than those that abuse the first and only child. He KNEW how to react/behave. The fact that this man took in children with problems makes it even worse, in my book. It is no excuse!!! All the more reason to have compassion, understanding, and self restraint.

The kids may have been a handful. As a foster parent, he could have at least "given them back" instead of abusing them - a luxury that natural parents do not have without 10 times the legal hassle.

He can suck a duck as far as I'm concerned. His history with previous children only makes it sadder. If we can't trust those with a proven track record, who can we trust with the unwanted children??

Hey Subway07...check your facts before spouting off what you don't know. Their "beyond 20's" daughter is not, in fact, beyond her 20's. She is only 18. Just say'n...

Murder charge is indeed dismissed... But it may change to manslaughter... And it might not.

I was actually present during the entire juvenile proceedings. All charges have been dropped against this man. This poor man and his family was persecuted by both Henry Police and Henry DFACS. It is a shame that anyone can be put through what this man and his family have endured!! It just goes to show that everyone should now the circumstances before judging. The media doesn't tell everything, only the bad things.

Back