1. Before creating a thread in the Reality Bites forums, please read the following guidelines so you do not risk the wrath of the administrators and possibly lose the privilege of creating threads. We want everyone o take part in spreading the shitty news, but let's do it in a way that keeps Morbid from fielding takedown notices.
  2. You must be logged in to see or use the chatbox

John O'Neill,FBI Expert on Al Qaeda Warned Of Threat, But Maverick Style Doomed Him

Discussion in 'General News' started by Whisper, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Whisper

Whisper Baptized N Dirty Water Bold Member!

Thought some may like to watch this or read it with the anniversary of Sept 11 being so close,I was floored

The Man Who Knew
    The Man Who Knew
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/knew/view/
    [​IMG]
    John.P.O'Neill​

Would John O’Neill Recognize Today’s FBI?
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...-knew/would-john-oneill-recognize-todays-fbi/

John ONeill
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_P._O'Neill
    [​IMG]
    John.O'Neill​
  2. Whisper

The docu is 90 minutes long but you can watch in chapters online,
    I watched it lastnight on TV and was floored by how much this guy was right on everything
    Right down to the night before telling guys it was close
    he knew it was coming and how ironic hes the one killed in the attack the next day
    Really good docu to watch especially anyone that has doubts about what the FBI and White House knew before the attacks
  3. Pete Bondurant

Pete Bondurant Veteran Member Bold Member!

If they had been arrested on September 10th....someone else would have done it on November 15th. This action was inevitable.
  4. Akelda

Akelda trust no one Bold Member!

I've seen that documentary and it was interesting and not at all surprising. I think I've watched just about every documentary made about it. It's just my opinions, but I believe the govt knew more than they let on, and they let it happen to a certain extent. I will always remember the day because of the way so many people died, it's not about the politics for me., but I can see already that it's starting to be a commercialized event to be celebrated. I think I even saw a commercial for some kind of memorial football game on 9-11. They can market it to the younger crowds that were too young or yet to be born in 2001. It means different things to different people, and for more and more people it's something they get tired of hearing about. That's the way it usually goes though.
  5. Whisper

[MENTION=1779]Akelda[/MENTION] I dont want to see it commercialized either
    But I want them to be remembered somehow
    In the 2 times since then I have in NY I havent gone to "ground zero" b/c to me (and only me) thats for the families of the ones lost,I just wouldnt feel right going to it and treating it as a tourist attraction so I havent gone but that just me
  6. carolinablue

carolinablue Veteran Member Bold Member!

The book and the video are now on my must-have list; thanks for the links. when we were in NYC my sister and I went to Ground Zero first; before we even unpacked. To see it on the news was one thing; to stand there and see what was done was something else. The sheer around the size of it. All the names inscribed along the walls. I'm having trouble putting this into words. About half the people there were crying, not noisy, just tears. I have a tiny piece of concrete taken from the rubble around the survivors' staircase. I begged the guards for just a pebble to keep for my kids and their kids; a guard pushed a little shard thru the security fence, and it is now a treasured piece of history.

For a long time I've thought that some part of the ruins should be allowed to stand, as the Japanese did with the ruins of Hiroshima. They left (I think) a small part of the bombed city, I think about a block or so, to stand as a memorial to those who died and a reminder to the rest of the world.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Akelda

I got emotional at the replica of the Vietnam wall, and the first time I saw Biloxi after Katrina. There's no way I would try to see Ground Zero.
  8. Whisper

See we just got a Vietnam Memorial not to long ago here
    its on my run route I stopped the first day and bawled,
    I was just born when that was going on but I cried
    And thats huge part of why I dont go to ground zero,
    I dont know anyone killed there that day but I would have a major break down
    Thats just me and the person I am,
    I hate it but I get to emotional over things that have nothing to do with me poersonally and I cant change that
    I do know people that barely got out,
    Best friends hubby and her daughter both worked in the towers and took hours to get ahold of her
    but they did get out but to this day her hubby cant go past the second floor of a building
    Her daughter has had therapy and is now a mom and for the most part gotten back to who she was,
    wont say normal b.c its a new normal for them now
  9. walkingeagle

walkingeagle Trusted Member

This is why you are so loved by most, if not all of us in here!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Whisper

Aww ty but I have been known to cry at a damn pampers commercial lol
  11. walkingeagle

walkingeagle Trusted Member

Not trying to distract from the OP, but SCC posted earlier today. (Second post down at this moment on- http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/)

12. Whisper

Well my front yard is is less then half a mile across to States
    We have had American and Canadian Coast Guard boats and helicopers already and will increase over the next week
    b/c Im right by the bridge which is a HUGE target bc so many thousands of Fords,Chryslers and GMs trucks pass back and forth each day 24/7
    But Im also closer to the tunnel then the bridge so if they attack either Im done
    But also as it gets closer Selfridge Air Base is close and they pick up alot of the monitoring,
    we see them all the time when theres a threat or near the anniversary
    I used to get scared but now im like what can I do?Nothing so just trust them to monitor the border
    One thing scared me years ago before I knew about Selfridge being there
    I was out back and taking clothes off my clothes line and it was around 7/7:30 at night so not dark out but not bright daytime
    And all of a sudden I looked up and above me by mear feet was this grey thing floating really slow over my house and back across to States
    It looked exactly like a hammer head shark lol
    Turns out I found out couple days later its was A drone they were testing out
    Totally freaked me out at first I didnt tell anyone b/c I thought I was losing it lol
    Told my husband the next day and went on internet and found the exact one I saw just diff color
    Really weird
  13. Akelda

Don't feel like the only one Whisper, I used to cry at Kodak commercials! And the Budweiser commercial they did for 9-11!!
  14. Akelda

I saw one of those once too but it wasn't that close to the ground!! I didn't know what it was, but I thought at first it was going backwards, but it was that hammerhead shark look that threw me off. I'm glad to finally know what it was, nobody else saw it here that I asked. lol
  15. Whisper

lol i didnt say anything at first either b/c nobody else was outside so I thought I was losing it
    Until I looked online and found all the diff ones and found the shark looking one
    Then I found out just across the river from me is a Army Base Selfridge( i think its called I always screw up the name)
    And they were testing or some one was testing drones to fly back and forth monitoring the border
    B/c rivers between me and Detr so they really monitor the warer and bridge and tunnel
  16. Whisper

kinda like this one only the one I saw had a flatter hammerhear nose on it and longer looking

[​IMG]
  17. Akelda

the thing I saw looked more like this, but it was up so very high I thought it was more streamlined , there was a curve to the wings. This is the closest thing I found that looked anything like it. eurofighter.jpg
  18. Silvahalo

Silvahalo Bite My Seraphim Sass

I'd like to go to ground zero, but I completely understand why some wouldn't. I Thought about it a lot after it happened and every year since. I'd like to visit without the crowds, if that is possible, to run my hand over the name I know.

I find it fascinating and suspicious that this person predicted so much.
    So ironic and tragic that O'Neill was killed on that very day in the horror that he spoke was coming.
  19. Akelda

If you've never heard of Rick Rescorla, Here is a link to a site and video called "The man who predicted 9-11" He was like O'Neil in that after the 93 bombing, he knew they were going to try it again. I think it's worth a look/read if anyone's interested.
    http://rickrescorla.com/
  20. carolinablue

carolinablue Veteran Member Bold Member!

If you have the chance, please visit the 9/11 Memorial and the memorial for the airline; you may cry tears of grief, but you will also see the best of America there. The tears I cried were tears of sorrow and anger, but also tears of pride and patriotism. The best of our country can be found there, as people from all over come to reflect and pay respect. Total strangers hold hands, reach out to those crying, touch hands as they pass, murmur words of encouragement, offer Kleenex.

We were at Ground Zero when the clean up was still in progress and the memorial had not yet been built. I was reading the names inscribed around the ceiling of the viewing spot and crying a little; a well-dressed business suited man gently laid his hand on my shoulder and began reading the names aloud. I joined him, and before long several other people came up and we all read out the names. Over three thousand of them. Right then, right there, we were all Americans, nothing else, just Americans. Politics, views, voting preference....nothing mattered but our shared tragedy.
  21. Whisper

I thought all the security last couple days was a build up to 911 but I just found out that Obama is less then 1/2 a mile from me
    Directly across at the GM World Head Quarters or Ren Cen whatever they want to call it today
  22. Whisper

[​IMG]
    Catured: U.S. officials have not confirmed the capture of Anas al-Libi, but his family has said he was captured from in front of his home by armed commandos​

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2446332/Captured-Libya-Anas-al-Libi-mastermind-twin-1998-bombings-United-States-Embassies-killed-200-people-injured-1-000.html#ixzz2gu61uXeg
    [​IMG]
    Coordinated: Anas al-Libi was one of the planners of both the US Embassy in Tanzania bombing (pictured here) and the US Embassy in Kenya bombing
    [​IMG]
    Lethal: Over 200 people were killed in the twin 1998 attacks, with 11 dead in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania (pictured here with then-US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright touring the bombed-out site)​
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  23. Whisper

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. Just my luck sucks

Just my luck sucks Trusted Member

My SO and I visited ground zero chain link fences were still up, photos of loved ones missing, a letter from a little girl to her father brought me to my knees...I will never forget.