• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Jaded

Staff member
NEW ALBANY, Miss. --
The sheriff of north Mississippi's Union County says the death of 2-year-old Enna Barreto has been ruled a homicide, and investigators are trying to decide whether her adoptive parents will face charges.

"We still don't know what actually happened to this child," Sheriff Tommy Wilhite said in a phone interview Tuesday night. "It's one of the worst cases I've seen in my life."

Sheriff's deputies on Sunday raided the home of Janet and Ramone Barreto near New Albany after receiving a tip from doctors that the couple might have abused their daughter.

Once at the home, law officers found more than 180 dogs, 25 cats and several ducks in various conditions. The animals' numbers are expected to increase, because some of them continue to give birth.

Wilhite said the Barreto's 2-year-old daughter was taken from a local hospital to Le Bonheur Children's Medical Center in Memphis, Tenn., for an unspecified reason. Doctors there suspected child neglect and tipped off Wilhite on Sunday night, when he got a warrant and raided the property.

The girl died Monday morning. Wilhite said Shelby County, Tenn., officials conducted an autopsy and told him Tuesday that the death had been ruled a homicide.

The sheriff said eight other children have been taken from the Barretos and put into foster care. He said the oldest is 17 and several of the others are younger than 5.

Wilhite said two of the children are Barreto's biological children and the others apparently are from Guatemala or other countries, but some of the children from other places don't have passports. Wilhite said it was unclear whether the Barretos had adopted all the children.

http://www.sunherald.com/306/story/575030.html

No mugs yet....

how can these dorks just get random babies from around the world? i mean - if it is that easy, why arent others who actually want to CARE for children doing it this way? i know couples who have worked for years and paid tens of thousands. I can't see those two poops-on-a rock doing that. and - if it IS that easy, are others doing this for happy ends or are others doing this to exploit the children? i know i sound naive - but i just didnt think it was that easy in america. but now that i think about it, i am sure that it is.

got you beat!:rofl2: but the only thing i'm giving away are the two little monsters who are getting into the giving me lip, stage.

no, i'm about ready to give away the 2-leggeds including the hubby & the bleeding heart employee. not my dogs, they actually listen to me.:lol2: mamma, you can pick up a dog whenever you want.

no, i'm about ready to give away the 2-leggeds including the hubby & the bleeding heart employee. not my dogs, they actually listen to me.:lol2: mamma, you can pick up a dog whenever you want.

I'll toss in the Beagle, a 10 yr old and raise you a husband.

More details about the adoption.

http://www.djournal.com/pages/story.asp?ID=273920&pub=1&div=News

NEW ALBANY - It's still unclear how the parents arrested in the death of their adopted daughter Monday obtained custody of the 2-year-old and her six adopted siblings.

Union County investigators would not release the name of the family's adoption agency or agencies.
What is clear is that Janet and Ramon Barreto of Union County would have had to pass a grueling series of home visits, questionnaires and background checks before being able to legally adopt the Guatemalan-born children.

They also likely would have paid between $25,000 and $35,000 for each child – the going rate for that country, said Tom Velie, executive director of Tupelo-based adoption agency New Beginnings.

"It's pretty in-depth," he said of the adoption process.

The Barretos, who also have two biological children, have been charged with seven counts of child endangerment in connection with the girl's death and care of her siblings. Law enforcement officials expect other charges, but they aren’t providing specifics yet.

Enna Barreto, 2, died Monday at a Memphis hospital from a blow to the head, according to an autopsy. The family claims the girl fell from a shopping cart Sunday, but doctors who treated her at LeBonheur Children's Medical Center in Memphis suspected child abuse.

The other children are now in protective custody.
Since the girl’s death, many have questioned how the Barretos were allowed to adopt so many children - especially considering reports that the rural family home was filthy, the parents did not have traditional employment, and they bred more than 200 pets in a backyard puppy mill.

To legally secure the children, Velie said, the Barretos would have had to go through the typical channels: hire an adoption agency, submit to the home visits, prepare a dossier and travel to Guatemala.

New Beginnings conducts home-site visits for international adoptions, but when asked if it had worked the Barreto case - or if Velie knew which other agency did - he declined to comment.

"Because a possible criminal investigation is going on, I feel it would be better not to respond to that question at this time," he said.

Also declining to comment on that question were spokeswomen for the Mississippi Children’s Home in Oxford and Bethany Christian Services of Columbus, which both perform international adoptions or home-site visits for international adoptions. They said their agencies' client lists are confidential.

A spokeswoman for another agency, Harden House Adoption of Tupelo, could not provide information because the director was unavailable.

Two other Northeast Mississippi adoption agencies contacted do not handle international adoptions or home-site visits.

International adoptions typically "involve four visits where we’ll talk about your motivation to adopt, your past experience with adoption or international adoption in particular, a family history and marital history, background on each individual in the family," said Velie, adding that they ask questions like "What was your childhood like? What was your relationship with your parents? What activities did you participate in?"

It also involves a medical evaluation, criminal background check, home inspection and income verification, he said.

But, somehow, adoption officials missed signs of the Barreto’s large-scale pet breeding operation in the backyard, where hundreds of dogs and cats were kept in cramped, dirty cages surrounded by feces and flies.

Velie said after the visits are completed, the report goes to the state Department of Human Services, which reviews it and sends it to the U.S. Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services. That bureau can approve or deny the adoption request.

After the child is adopted, it is considered part of the parents' family, Velie said, and the state of Mississippi does not require follow-up visits.

"As an adoptive father of two Korean-American daughters who we raised, and knowing so many wonderful adoptive families who truly love and care for their children," Velie said, "it saddens me that situations like this occur, bringing adoption and international adoption into question."

Since the dude looks Guatemalan and the name "Barreto" is possibly hispanic...does anybody else suspect a smuggling operation perhaps? "Hey, I'll take your kids and "adopt" them for XXX dineros. Then when you get enough to come to the states, you can have them back. You, know, if they're still alive and stuff."

ty for the followup mom - that is what i was getting at in my previous post. there is no way ihn hell these peeps had the resources or passed the testing involved in adopting a child internationally. they just aquired them somehow. like one aquires a stray dog or cat or duck. and yes, they could have preyed upon an unsuspecting parent or just had connections to unwanted children. i wonder if they were keeping them for themselves or holding them to be bought for creepy purposes. i mean they did own a puppy mill after all. why not sell kids too if you are that morally bankrupt and twisted?

Veterinarian: New Albany puppy mill 'worst condition' she's seen

NEW ALBANY, Miss. (AP) - A veterinarian says the New Albany puppy mill had the worst conditions -- she's seen.

Dr. Gretchen Ganas with the Animal Care Center in Tupelo tells Memphis' WMC-TV that the situation was used only for breeding puppies and making money.

Union County sheriff's deputies discovered signs of a puppy mill operation on last Sunday when they raided the home of Janet and Ramon Barreto after doctors at Le Bonheur Children's Medical Center in Memphis, Tenn. tipped off officials about possible child abuse involving a 2-year-old child.

The child, Enna Barreto, who had been adopted by the couple, died at the hospital a week ago today (Monday) and her death was ruled a homicide.

Yesterday (Sunday) Ganas and volunteers -- working in a makeshift veterinary clinic -- helped care for some of the 180 dogs who were found.

Animal shelter director Debbie Hood of the Tupelo-Lee Humane Society told the station the animals will require a special adoptive family because of what they've been through.

Link

Seems the oldest DAUGHTER did it... this time at least. They have been indicted for more charges:

A Union County grand jury claims Janet Killough Barreto and Ramon Barreto, whose 2-year-old adopted daughter died at the hands of her teenage stepsister, also tortured three of their other children, with one forced to live caged in a closet off and on for nearly six years.

In the indictment, the Barretos are accused of three specific instances of child abuse:
- From Sept. 14, 2000, through Feb. 8, 2006, Adriana Killough, also known as Adriana Santana Lemar, was caged in a closet for prolonged periods and forced to eat, sleep, urinate and defecate in the cage.
- From Nov. 1, 2007, until May 1, 2008, Luisa Fernanda Barreto was tied in a baby crib.
- From Nov. 1, 2007, through May 1, 2008, Juan Fernando Barreto was tied in a baby crib.

But the Barretos' attorney, Tony Farese of Ashland, on Thursday, responded by saying, "This is nothing but allegations by the older child who is trying to save her own neck.

An official close to the investigation said Adriana, now 8 years old, was the first child then-Janet Killough adopted and later gave away because the child suffered from a brain disorder.

This indictment is the first mention of that child.

Their daughter, Enna, died May 19 after her 17-year-old stepsister, Marainna Torres, hit her and threw her into a baby bed, causing fatal internal injuries. Torres, who spent the next month in a Tennessee psychiatric facility, pleaded guilty July 2 to one count of manslaughter by culpable negligence. She has not been sentenced.

Since the Barretos' arrests, all the children have been in protective custody of the Mississippi Department of Human Services, including Torres. Adriana Killough also is in DHS care.

In addition to 2-year-old Enna, the Barretos are adoptive parents to an 8-year-old, Byron Alexander Barreto; three 3-year-olds, Celeste Barreto, Edwin Estuardo Barreto and Juan Fernando Barreto; and two 2-year-olds, Luisa Fernando Barreto and Lucrecia Michelle Barreto, the indictment shows.

Count 10 of the indictment accused them of causing Enna's death by adopting so many children and turning over their care to Marainna, a teenager without any training or help, which the grand jury stated led to Enna's death.
http://www.djournal.com/pages/story.asp?ID=277289&pub=1&div=News

Damn! Double Post Demon struck! See above :lol:

Last edited:
ramone_barreto.jpg

janet_barreto.jpg

Fugitive Couple Last Seen in Memphis

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Investigators say a fugitive couple may be hiding out in Memphis.

Janet and Ramone Barreto are charged with killing a two year old girl, and keeping seven other Guatemalan adoptive children locked in a trailer in terrible conditions.

The couple has been spotted in Memphis after skipping bail earlier this month in New Albany, Mississippi.

Two year old Baby Enna died from blunt force trauma. Investigators say she was killed by her adoptive parents, the Barretos.

Creekmore indicted the couple on ten charges, after investigators searched the New Albany, Mississippi trailer where the couple lived. There they found seven other Guatemalan adoptive children, in addition to Baby Enna.

"It was very shocking that they were living in the condition that they were," says Chief Deputy Jimmy Edwards of the Union County Sheriff's Office.

Edwards says the couple was living in the large double wide trailer and the eight children, two and three years old, were locked inside the smaller trailer with no way out. He says it was filled with garbage, dog feces and syringes and the children were being kept in metal cribs with ply wood bottoms which investigators said amounted to cages. There was evidence that the children had been tied up.

The Barretos are also facing nearly 200 counts of animal cruelty. A puppy mill, with cages full of purebred puppies and dogs was found on the property. The dogs have all been adopted.

The children were also adopted into good families after it was determined they were legitimate American citizens.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/news/local/052809_Fugitive_Couple_Last_Seen_in_Memphis

I try very hard not to allow this kind of evil to affect my private life, but this case has hurt me deeply.

There is nothing bad enough for me to say about these people.

This is horrific, just beyond my understanding. How is that these people were able to keep on adopting? don't there living conditions have to be reviewed and other such criteria? Such filthy, lowly, depraved fuckers.

I am very glad to read the children and animals were placed in good homes. As for baby Enna, she deserved a fair chance at life as did all these children tho Enna is dead along with any chances. So sorry little one....Rest in peace Enna.

C'mon now. Don't insult real people.
These aren't people. My dog was better than this. That made him a people.

You have never spoken truer words! But, I believe I would rather be called a dog than a people. Better yet, call me a cat.

A nationwide manhunt is underway for a Union County couple accused in the death of one of their children.
[...]

When neither showed up for another on Monday, they knew the couple had flown the coop. "They're out on a $900,000 bond and they've just fled the jurisdiction of the court. We've talked to family, interviewed family, friends, nobody knows a thing," said Union County Chief Deputy Jimmy Edwards.

He says they could have run as far as Mexico, though he suspects they're closer. "They were last seen in the Memphis area April 27th. Ramon has brothers there, some cousins, and were last seen in the Memphis area."

Since their arrest, Janet had given birth to another baby, making for nine children, 7 adopted from South America.
[...]

Investigation revealed 17-year-old, Marainna Torres, who's now 18, got angry with the child and hit her in anger, causing her death.

Torres, admitted guilt in the case and awaits sentencing.

Investigators say the couple vanished without a trace leaving behind their children who remain in state custody.

The first sign of their disappearance came when Janet Barreto failed to show up in court on a charge she threatened the young woman, earning a witness tampering charge.

That caused the couple's attorney to bow out since the new charge put Janet and Ramon on opposing sides.

It also made it impossible for the court to take further action in the case, including finding them guilty in absentia, since they have no representation.

The Barretos apparently felt it the new charge made for a no-win situation.

But District Attorney Ben Creekmore, says life as a fugitive won't be much better, "It's gonna be hard to live on the run and I think eventually it'll catch up to 'em."

One phone call, says Creekmore, will put them back behind bars for good, "It's just gonna take somebody looking and recognizing 'em and contacting law enforcement to get 'em back."

But until then, investigators say folks should keep their eyes open and their children close. "We don't' think they're dangerous to most people. They might be dangerous to children." said Edwards.

There's a reward in excess of $1,000 for information leading to the couple. Union County, US Marshals and US Immigration are all working together to find them.

If found and convicted, the couple could get fifty years, to life in prison.
http://www.wreg.com/wreg-barreto-missing,0,5211559.story

Back