• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

CbabyRKO

Trumperdink Mussolini
A retired nurse in Florida suffocated her husband, a former New Jersey police officer, in his hospital bed after he became unresponsive following surgery, cops charge.

Jan Sochalski, 61, was found lying on top of her husband Henry at Florida Hospital Memorial Medical Center in May.

She had been complaining about her husband's care after he went into respiratory and cardiac arrest in April following elective back surgery, according to an arrest report obtained by the Daytona Beach News-Journal.

[...]

His wife was so upset about his treatment that in late April she threatened to go home and get his firearm and "shoot the people on the seventh floor" of the hospital. Police were called to the hospital, but a nurse calmed Jan Sochalski down and she wasn't arrested.

On May 19 a nurse told investigators she walked into his room and found Jan Sochalski lying across her husband's chest. The nurse said the woman had one hand around his stomach and the other across his mouth and nose. A second nurse said it appeared she was "pinching the victim's nose," according to the police report obtained by the newspaper.

Henry Sochalski died approximately 30 minutes later. An initial autopsy was done the following day, but results did not come back until Aug. 17. Henry Sochalski died of asphyxia of the mouth, nose and trachea, according to Detective Dave Dinardi.

Jan Sochalski denied killing her husband to cops on Monday. She is facing a second-degree murder charge and is being held without bail.

The former nurse also allegedly mishandled her husband's pain medication. Henry Sochalski had been taking Dilaudid for pain, according to WFTV.

She had pressed the medication machine a whopping 264 times in an eight-hour period, according to the station, when it should only have been pressed six times every hour. The medication machine does have a safety net built in and won't give more medication than prescribed, according to the station.

The day before her husband died, she signed a "do not resuscitate" order and would not let nurses into the room, one nurse told cops, according to WFTV.

A nurse told investigators that on one occasion, she had asked for medication to "decrease his respiratory status."
LINK

I do believe this was an emotional response to her husband's declining condition. They expected he'd go in and have this back surgery to make him better and instead he had an adverse response. I have a feeling the husband and wife had a conversation along the journey through life and he'd probably told her he never wanted to live like that and she was trying to abide by that. Not saying what she did was right...it wasn't...but who knows how an event like this would make us whack out over a loved ones demise.

Dude was comotose since fucking april, shame on the medical community for keeping him breathing, good on the brave wife for disposing of this worthless shell.

I don't think you can write someone else's DNR. When the docs know someone is brain dead, a family member can take them off life support, but not before. My roommate was in a coma 6 months, coma is not brain death.

She wanted to be with him she didn't want him to suffer anymore
I felt bad for her. She was very upset after his surgery and loss of consciousness.
She smothered him.. if she had only waited for testing for brain activity more than likely she would have been able to pull the plug and not been charged with a crime.

She was awaiting court proceedings but died before her trial.

Just tragic all the way around.

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/...rmer_nj_cop_in_fla_rep.html#incart_river_home
The woman accused of killing her husband, a retired city cop, while he was recovering from back surgery, was found dead last week in her Florida home, according to reports.
[....]
Jan Sochalski was found slumped over Thursday in her back porch in Palm Coast by police performing a wellness check ordered by her daughter, Daytona Beach News-Journal reported.

She is reportedly believed to have died of natural causes.

Jan Sochalski had been out after posting a $50,000 bail in September. She was scheduled to be in court July 10, according to the report.

Back