• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
raozzc.jpg

James Calvert​
Smith County capital murder defendant, James Calvert, says the free computer he is getting in jail is not good enough.

Calvert is awaiting trial for the murder of his ex-wife, Jelena Sriraman, in Tyler on Halloween of 2012. Calvert is defending himself at his trial, so the court has provided him with a computer to prepare his case.

When the computer was delivered to the jail, Calvert sent it back saying it didn't have the
software he needed. However, experts disagree.

"It has a massive amount of software on there... even more than he asked for. It should be just fine," testified Tim McLemee
[...]
McLemee often testifies in trials as a computer expert. He says the computer is just as good, if not better, than some computers used in the Smith County District Attorney's Office.

"We did go out of the way to add extra software to the computer just to be sure that any kind of audio or video or photograph would open on that computer,"
[...]
Calvert also said he wanted administrative access over the computer, so he could make sure that no one else is looking at his work.

"I cannot accept that computer because it does not secure," Calvert told Judge Jack Skeen Jr.
"I can't make you take the laptop," Judge Skeen replied.

The judge ruled that the computer was going back to the jail, whether Calvert wanted it or not. The court determined that the computer is more that sufficient for Calvert's needs.

"I understand, Judge, but you're believing that expert," Calvert said, pointing to McLemee. "You're not believe this expert," Calvert said, pointing to himself.

Even though Calvert is the one who asked for the computer in the first place, he said he'll refuse to use it until it has everything he wants.

The judge has ruled that Calvert will be allowed to use the computer in his jail cell for two hours a day,
http://www.kltv.com/story/24957948/...t-his-jail-laptop-isnt-good-enough?hpt=ju_bn2

Wait, he gets a laptop to help him work his own case? I vote, NO, killer, because you belong on death row.. you don't even deserve the plastic parts holding the laptop together, you worthless piece of shit.

~shadow

Douchebags like this dude have been defending themselves for years without the benefit of a computer. Why is this guy so fucking special?

Another example of a criminal believing he is smarter than all the other people in the world. He is just trying to drag it out.

"I cannot accept that computer because it does not secure," Calvert told Judge Jack Skeen Jr.
"I can't make you take the laptop," Judge Skeen replied.
with his prima donna attitude, a computer will be the least of his worries when he's found guilty

His diva issues aside, the "The judge has ruled that Calvert will be allowed to use the computer in his jail cell for two hours a day," part is a bit worrisome. Unless he's going to be sitting in prison for a year before his trial, two hours per day is not enough to prepare for a pro se defense.

His diva issues aside, the "The judge has ruled that Calvert will be allowed to use the computer in his jail cell for two hours a day," part is a bit worrisome. Unless he's going to be sitting in prison for a year before his trial, two hours per day is not enough to prepare for a pro se defense.
Many inmates have represented themselves without the need of a laptop. He has 22 other hours per day to come up with defense strategies.

Many inmates have represented themselves without the need of a laptop. He has 22 other hours per day to come up with defense strategies.
While I agree that he should be able to make do with a pencil, a notebook, and access to the prison law library, I feel that if we the people are giving him a laptop for his personal use, two hours per day is kind of a waste.

While I agree that he should be able to make do with a pencil, a notebook, and access to the prison law library, I feel that if we the people are giving him a laptop for his personal use, two hours per day is kind of a waste.
We the people should have not even given him the use of a laptop. He killed his ex and left a 4 year old orphan. Fuck him, giving him the use of a laptop while some public schools don't have the luxury of one computer for every student is very telling of where our tax money goes to.

A man accused of murdering his wife and kidnapping their son is trying to bring his son back to East Texas. James Calvert was in court today for a custody hearing for his now five-year-old son. Calvert is accused of shooting his wife back in October 2012. He was later arrested in Louisiana, where he had fled with his son.

Calvert, his mother and her attorney attempted to reach an agreement for nearly two hours before today's custody hearing. Calvert refused to sign any paperwork and also refused to attend mediation later this month.

"I object that my attendance be in mediation," Calvert said.

Calvert told Judge Clark that he does not want the sheriff's office to be ordered to bring him to court.

"You want to stay in the jail in your cell or wherever they have you and not here?" Judge Clark said.

"Well, I don't want to be in jail but in the situation, and this is capital murder, I am the suspect and you are putting me in an environment where people can make up stuff about me and so forth and testify my criminal period," Calvert responded.

[....]

"There would be no point in mediation because we're still in dispute," Calvert said. "This is a termination proceeding in which the court has ordered a mediation without discussing it with the parties what they're actually suppose to be mediating on."

Judge Clark says if Calvert does not attend mediation there will be consequences.

Calvert says he would prefer an informal settlement.

[....]
http://www.kltv.com/story/24791232/james-calvert-refusing-to-attend-mediation-in-custody-dispute

I seem to vaguely remember this original story

http://www.kltv.com/story/19964939/shooting-near-pollard-park

TYLER, TX (KLTV) -
The 4-year-old boy and his 5-year-old sister caught up in the Halloween shooting death of their mother will be re-united with their stepfather Thursday.

Judge Carole Clark of the 321st District Court ordered that the Lucas Calvert and his sister's stepfather would hold temporary managing conservatorship. A spokesman for Child Protective Services (CPS) said with no criminal history and the children asking for him, they believe he is the best option for the children, adding that he is planning to legally adopt both children.

Police arrested Lucas' biological father, James Calvert, 41, late Wednesday night in West Monroe, LA. He is behind held in West Monroe, LA, on charges of fugitive from justice. Once he is extradited to Texas, he faces a capital murder charge for the killing of his ex-wife - the children's mother - Jelena Radovanovic Sriraman, 30.

According to investigators, Calvert shot and killed Sriraman shortly after noon on Wednesday in the 3300 block of Bain Place. He then is accused of kidnapping Lucas. Sriraman is Calvert's third wife. They were married in 2004 and divorced in 2009.

The shooting and subsequent Amber Alert issued to help find Lucas led to a day-long search for the suspect and his son. Less than 12 hours later, an officer saw the suspect vehicle on Interstate 20 in West Monroe, LA, according to police.

According to a police affidavit, the driver of the suspect vehicle made an abrupt turn and crossed over the solid white line and onto the shoulder of the exit ramp. According to the affidavit, the officer attempted to make a traffic stop, but the driver would not stop.

Following a short chase, the officer identified the driver as Calvert and made the arrest. Officers transported him to West Monroe Correctional Center, where he was held until Tyler Police and FBI agents arrived to interview him.

West Monroe police say Calvert had guns in his lap and the backseat of the car, where Lucas was unharmed in a car seat.

During the arrest, West Monroe Police said Calvert sat silently in his car with his hands on the steering wheel until officers broke through a window. When they pulled him out of the car, officers said he didn't fight and he remained silent. However, once in a holding cell, Maj. Jeff Terrell said he ripped bars off the window and began hitting himself with them.

When questioned by police, Terrell said Calvert began making threats.

"[He] said he was going to go out in a blaze of glory or something to that effect," Terrell said. "And he did make a statement to officers that if given the chance he was going to try to escape or shoot somebody or kill himself."

DPS, Texas Rangers, the FBI and U.S. Marshals were all involved in the search. The investigation is still ongoing at this time. It is unknown when Calvert will be extradited back to Texas.

Martin says the district attorney's office is working with Louisiana courts to quickly bring Calvert back to East Texas. Maj. Jeffrey Terrell said Thursday the West Monroe, LA, Police Department has only charged Calvert as a fugitive from justice to help speed up the extradition process.

Calvert can either waive extradition and return to East Texas voluntarily, or the Smith County District Attorney's Office will obtain a governor's warrant to force him to return.

According to files at the Smith County Records Division, in 2008 Judge Clark approved a restraining order against Calvert to protect Sriraman at the time of their divorce. He violated it in 2010, and Judge Rodgers issued another restraining order for him to stay 100 ft. from Sriraman.

According to the Smith County Sheriff's Office, Calvert has been booked into the county jail on three charges of violating a protective order since 2009. He was also charged in 1999 with aggravated assault/family violence.

In May 1999, Calvert was charged with aggravated assault/family violence. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to two years probation.

In September 2009, he was charged with violation of a protective order restricting him from seeing Jelena, and three months later, in December 2009, was charged with violating his bond conditions.

According to files at the Smith County Records Division, Judge Rogers signed a new document ordering Calvert to not communicate in any manner directly nor indirectly nor go within 100 feet of the person, residence, place of business, school, child care facility, or any other place that Jelena may be located. This condition was inclusive of family member (or friend) contacting the above on behalf of the Defendant or for any other reason. He was also to stay at least 100 feet away from Jelena.

In May of 2010 he violated that protective order.

In a previous marriage in 1999, he was arrested and charged with aggravated assault family violence, according to files at the Smith County Records Division.

According to Larry Craig, pastor of Southern Oaks Baptist Church, which owns the home where the shooting occurred, the church was letting Sriraman stay in a mission house while she was going back to school an rearranged some things in her life, like getting remarried and becoming a U.S. citizen.

Craig says he only met Calvert once and did not know much about but, but Craig added that the two had recently undergone a child custody hearing as she prepared to move to Houston. Craig said Calvert always seemed to be determined to be involved in his children's lives.

The hills are alive with the sound of the fucks I don't give!
Since when did Mr. Murder death kill become a fucking computer expert?
I find solace in the fact that his kids won't have any illusions as to the "man" their "father" was. He's a fucking baby ass coward bitch.

The 2 hours would be all he is allowed to use the computer not how long he is allowed to work on his case. There is still a law library in the jail he can use, one that I am sure would more than meet his needs. Yes, I work 12+ hours a day putting together appeals but not all of it is computer work, in fact I only research and then print off the computer, I'm old-school and like my hard copies. From there I hand draft everything long before I sit and type the brief. And guess what? My ass isn't sitting in jail accused of murder. Want free computer access? Don't go to jail.

I'm waiting for the day Judge Skeen jumps from behind his desk and tries to crush Calvert's head between that laptop's screen and keyboard. That would be fun to watch.

There are so many things wrong with what's going on in/what did happen in this story that I can't even figure out where to start bitching or what to be the most pissed about... so fucked up.

I live here and Judge Skeen is a hard ass.. it amazes me he even got a laptop. Our jails are over capcity for many years. I dont agree at all for him to get the laptop.. who is gonna control and monitor what he does over the internet?!?!

Bread, water and a slab of concrete to sleep on is more than enough for this fucking asshole ..
Amen! When women go into jail here you have to take a shower with lice soap.. if your bra or underwear are not white they take them.. if you are on your period they give you one pad a day.. the rooms are over crowded.. people litterally sleep on the concrete.. the food yeah you learn to not eat.. your water fountain is attached to the toliet they are out in the middle of a room showers out in the open.. so for this f'ker gets a laptop.. I want to personally take him out and save the system and tax payers the $$$

Latest posts

Back