• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
How did he get in the pond?

People who can't swim don't usually don't get in water.

I'm really wondering if these subhuman creature tossed him in

If I found out my kids did this, they would be begging the police to arrest them and put them safely in jail.

Even a pack of feral white teens couldn't get off this one.

I am unreasonably amused by the phrase "pack of feral white teens" and will work it into conversation ASAP.

Seems that most all teens I come across these days, no matter their race, are feral. No manners, no empathy, no sympathy, just I, I, I and me,me,me and fuck you cause you're not me.

I know. They are minors.
When we find out the actual charges, that's when we'll hear race .
The prosecutor will look bad no matter what if the sociopathic teens aren't white. The victim was black, so here's how will look if the teens are too. If the prosecutor charges them as adults some people will say its because they are black, if they are charged as minors some people will say its because the victim was black, because if the victim was white they would be charged as adults. I would not want to be in that prosecutor's shoes.

Last edited:
Erm off the top of my head I can think of at least 2 charges they could get the teens with. Florida has a Duty to Rescue law and like @PsychoKitty pointed out, they failed to report a death.

They don't have to be "involved" for either of those charges. Standing around watching is all it takes for both of them. And there's plenty of proof they did that.

I couldn't find a Duty to Rescue law in Florida, and the local Police Chief, Michael Cantaloupe (what's with this place, anyway? Sounds like a breakfast buffet--Police Chief Cantaloupe of Cocoa, Florida)...anyways Chief Cantaloupe says "“As horrible as this video is the laws in the State of Florida do not obligate citizens to render aid or call someone to render aid to a person in distress," and he claims to have done "research of the statutes and consultation with the State Attorney’s Office."

As far a a brief jaunt around the net over coffee can tell, Duty to Rescue laws may have a lot of caveats anyway. If Florida does indeed have one (which I couldn't find online in an admittedly brief and haphazard search) the teens probably had no duty to rescue since they'd never started trying to help him. the FindLaw site says:

"At common law and in most states, people, generally, have no duty to help or rescue another person. You would only have a duty to help if you created the peril, you started trying to rescue or help, or you have a special relationship, such as parent-child, with the person in need."
They also list an exception for Florida, but it's for someone who witnesses a sexual battery, not someone who callously watches someone die when they might have helped. :sour: At least the mayor of Cocoa seems fired up about it:

Parrish said of the decision to pursue charges, "While this in no way will bring justice for what occurred, it is a start."

"In a case like this we struggle to understand how anyone could be so cold and heartless and then learn that there are no laws in Florida that obligate someone to render aid or call for someone to render aid for a person they see in distress," he said. "If this case can be used as an example to draft new legislation, then I am committed to move forward to make that happen. More so, may this tragic incident, which has shocked all of us, cause each of us to examine ourselves and our responsibility to one another."

"I implore the State Attorney’s Office to follow through and file the charges presented by the Cocoa Police Department!" he added.
The charge would be "'failure to report a death under Florida Statute 406.12,' a misdemeanor." For anyone who did not follow the HuffPost link above from Valasca:

Cantaloupe told reporters he’s charging the teens under a state statute typically reserved for medical examiners obligated to report deaths. The statute, according to Tampa’s Bay News 9, reads:

“It is the duty of any person in the district where a death occurs, who becomes aware of the death of any person occurring ... must report such death and circumstances to the district medical examiner.”

Cantaloupe said, “It will be kind of a test case … As far as we know, the statute has never been used in this way.”​

http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-rec...eens-recorded-mans-drowning/story?id=48769120

http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2015/05/in-which-states-do-i-have-a-duty-to-help.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...owning-disability_us_597229f3e4b00e4363df267c

“It will be kind of a test case …

These morons are underage, I don't think any state statute can compel an underage person even to report a death, much to try to rescue the person themselves.

As much as I think these assholes should have had, at the very least, the courtesy to call for help for this man.

But really. What kind of sick fuck, sits there laughing and recording while someone dies?

It isn't a joke, and not at all funny.
I am concerned for what kind of adults these kids grow up to be.

These morons are underage, I don't think any state statute can compel an underage person even to report a death, much to try to rescue the person themselves.

I hope that is incorrect. Most laws apply to everyone, although where you will be adjudicated if you break them may differ. In this case they were teens, not small children, and at least one of them had a cell phone because he was using it to record the incident. Most likely in today's world, all of them had cell phones. If the law says a 16 year old with a cell phone in his hand has no duty to even report a person fighting for life and screaming for help, then the law needs to be changed.

I would, however, agree that in a situation like this, there probably should not be an actual legal duty to rescue a stranger who is drowning. What if none of the boys could swim? Also, drowning people are panicky, and often pull their would be rescuers under in their panic. While I think the group of them could have safely rescued the man if they wanted to, that is not the same as saying they should be obligated to by law.

The arrest rate of black teens is not what made these black teen males so heartless and unsympathetic to the plight of a drowning disabled black man that they laughed and filmed it, then posted the video on facebook because they figured everyone else would enjoy it too.

I like how you got a crap for what has been shown to be fact. Black peoples are arrested, and go to jail much more frequently than whites. Especially teenagers.
Yeah. You know I DOOOOOON'T care about craps.
I'm not even looking to see who gave it.
I just don't care.

For everyone else, I AM a BLM supporter. Dgaf how you feel about that. And you cannot change my mind.

@Brillig beat me to it. Your average person is likely to be drowned right along with the victim. It's not that they want to pull you down, but instinct kicks in and they try to climb you like a tree. Lifeguards and such get training on how to rescue someone and not allow them to do this. So I really cringe when I hear about being forced to rescue someone in water if you don't know how. That being said, CALL SOMEONE!!! Shit, try to find a rope, something! Also, he just walked in that deep? What? So was he trying to kill himself, because nothing else makes sense with that story. Or are the kids lying?

I refrained from posting on this story initially because I was conflicted with the teenagers behavior and the loss of a life. Honestly, I assumed that the race of the teens was African American without watching the video.

The race of the teenagers and the deceased should not be the focus of this story. The callousness and disregard for human life is demonstrated by all races, ethnic groups and genders-this site can attest to that.

The first question that should be asked is could the teens swim and would they have been capable of saving the man? Many Black youth do not learn how to swim and this has led to many deaths.
abc_shreveport_drowning_victims_100803_wmain.jpg

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/teens-drown-wading-louisianas-red-river/story?id=11312631

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/drowing-rate-black-kids-times-whites/story?id=10965334

The second question that must be asked is why would these teens be so devoid of humanity and common decency? Pack mentality among teens is very strong and while it does not always lead to violence it will impact how a teen behaves. Individually these teens probably are decent and caring people. I think that when the teens become fully aware of what there actions led to some will be remorseful. Another factor is the break down of the family and a lack of a father in the home. Children raised without fathers are more likely to live in poverty, do poorly in school and engage in delinquency.

http://www.fathers.com/statistics-and-research/the-consequences-of-fatherlessness/

Thirdly, why does race matter? I want criminals: muggers, rapist, pedophiles, child abusers and murderers held accountable for their crimes regardless of their race. Hypothetical stories are disrespectful to the person that has been a victim of a crime. Are we saying that a white elderly woman raped by a person of another race does not deserve justice because a White person who committed a similar crime was not given the same sentence?

I am not sure that the teens committed a punishable offense but they should be mandated to attend therapy with their parents to work on the issues that led these teens to be indifferent to human life.

Anyone else have the thought this was a suicide attempt that the deceased changed his mind about (too late)? The callous, mocking behavior of the teens was so horrifying that the state of mind of Jamel Dunn himself sort of fell off the table.

Also, sometime between when the pic for the GoFundMe thing was taken and his death, Jamal had pretty much his entire face tattooed. I wonder why?

Police said that the teens told Dunn, who walks with a cane, not to go into the murky waters.
“The kids were at the park that day smoking marijuana and apparently saw him walk into the water. He walked in on his own. They were watching him,” said Yvonne Martinez, Cocoa Police Department spokesperson.

Edited to add the pic:
ijuipsQ.jpg

A photo of Jamel Dunn, taken March 13, 2017, who drowned in a pond in Cocoa Beach, on July 9 as a group of teens filmed his dying moments and never called or sought help to save his life. Brevard County Sheriff's Office
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...a-teens-who-mockingly-filmed-drowning-n785581

Last edited:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...agers-video-death-laugh-look-on-a7871021.html
Hundreds of people poured into a church in Florida to pay their last respects to a disabled man who drowned as a group of teenagers watched and mocked him, and filmed his death rather than try to help him.
[....]
The Associated Press said friends and relatives of the dead man asked that those attending the funeral service at the Zion Orthodox Primitive Baptist Church wear red clothes.

Some wore T-shirts that bore Mr Dunn’s face.

Florida Today said that Pastor Jarvis Wash, who officiated at the service last Saturday, discussed the circumstances of Mr Dunn’s death and said many were struggling to understand why the teenagers had not gone to his aid.

“We were lost and confused, “ said Mr Wash.
jamel-dunn-funeral.jpg

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/tee...mans-drowning-death-wont-be-charged/775028483
In the two-and-a-half-minute video, the teenage boys can be heard yelling, “We’re not going to help you and you never should have gotten in there.”

There is no Florida law that requires a person to provide emergency assistance under the facts of this case, the State Attorney’s Office said.

Prosecutors had considered a charge of failing to notify a medical examiner of a death but said they could not appropriately apply it to the case without new legislation.
[....]
At the time the video was taken, the group ranged in age of 14 to 18 years old.

In light of the incident, a Florida state legislator had created a good Samaritan bill that would have made it a crime not to render aid to someone in need, but it was not passed by lawmakers.

“I know that everyone was sickened by the callous disregard for human life exhibited by these young people. We can only hope that this was an isolated and rare circumstance that will never happen again,” said State Attorney Phil Archer. “Unfortunately, Florida law does not address this behavior and we are ethically restrained from pursuing criminal charges without a reasonable belief of proving a crime beyond and to the exclusion of every reasonable doubt.”

Not everyone was sickened by the “callous disregard for human life exhibited by these young people.” I read many comments on this story, and I think some of them were on the DD Facebook page, where people were calling the victim a criminal and an animal. They were saying he wasn’t worth shedding tears over and missed the point that those kids are very sick and damaged themselves as shown by their behaviour.

Back