• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
I don't think this is in the thread. Apologies if it is.

Thursday, September 14, 2017, 2:17 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ound-dead-irma-preparations-article-1.3495923
A Florida grandmother who had been missing since December was found dead in her vehicle on Saturday as residents braced for Hurricane Irma.

The body of Loraine "Lori" Feliciano-Pino was spotted in a Palm Beach County canal in Boca Raton, giving closure to the family.

The vehicle became uncovered as a result of the county lowering the water levels in preparation for Hurricane Irma's landfall, the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office said.
[....]
missing15n-1-web.jpg

[....]
Feliciano-Pino, who was 47, was last seen leaving her home on Dec. 19. "That was pretty close to her home," her sister told the Sun Sentinel. "I always had a feeling that she would be in there."

Rosannie Feliciano said she did not understand why investigators did not search the canal earlier. They were instead looking for her in the Loxahatchee Canal, according to the Sun Sentinel.
[....]
"I was initially completely shocked, then was very angry," she told the Palm Beach Post. "I can’t tell you how many times I said (to detectives) can we please check this canal because it was close to where she lived."
[....]

http://www.whas11.com/news/cocoa-canoe-washed-up-by-hurricane-irma-may-date-to-1600s/481283670
636410866549528310-canoefull-1-of-1-_1507294615995_11320188_ver1.0.jpg

There's a 50-50 chance that the wood used to make the canoe that washed ashore in Cocoa during Hurricane Irma dates between 1640 and 1680 — generations before the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

The dugout canoe was discovered Sept. 11 along the Indian River Lagoon shoreline by Cocoa photographer Randy "Shots" Lathrop. He was checking out hurricane damages on his bicycle in the Indian River Drive neighborhood.

A Florida Division of Historical Resources archaeologist inspected the 15-foot log vessel, and radiocarbon dating results were released Thursday. The tests determined there is:

• A 50 percent probability the wood used to make the canoe dates between 1640 to 1680.

• A 37.2 percent probability the wood dates between 1760 to 1818.

• An 8.6 percent probability that it dates to 1930 or later.

"It is important to note that this gives us the probability of when the log used to make the canoe died or was cut down," said Sarah Revell, Florida Department of State spokeswoman.

"The canoe has some interesting features, like the presence of paint and wire nails, that indicate it may have been made in the 19th or 20th century, so this adds to the mystery," she said.
[....]
The Cocoa canoe features square-headed iron nails, small splotches of possible red and white paint, and what may be "rope burns" notched in the wood. Lathrop suspects that an outrigger may have been attached at one time.

"I didn't think it'd be that old," Lathrop said of the canoe, which has attracted national media attention. "I'm no expert, but I was placing it somewhere in the middle-1800s, frankly. I was surprised. And it was good news."

Revell offered some possible explanations. In one scenario, the canoe was made in the 1800s or 1900s, but from an old log.
[....]
Or, perhaps the canoe was made in the 1600s or 1700s, saw use for many years, and was modified over time.

Then again, though the probability is lower, someone could have crafted the canoe during the 1900s, she said.

"Florida has the highest concentration of dugout canoes in the world. We have more than 400 documented dugout canoes in our state. Each canoe is important in that it adds to our database and helps fill out the picture of how people used these canoes over thousands of years," Revell said.

"This canoe is unique in that the radiocarbon dating indicates the wood is very old, but it has features that indicate it is more modern — so it is a bit of a mystery," she said.

University of South Florida researchers have created a 3-D model of the canoe, which was stored in a Cocoa freshwater pond shortly after its discovery. The species of tree has not yet been determined, Revell said.
[....]
"The process of preserving a canoe requires a great deal of patience and expertise. It could take a year or longer to complete the preservation process," Revell said.

"The canoe will first go through a desalinization process and any algae on the exterior will be removed. It will then be placed in a bath of polyethylene glycol for a year or more, which strengthens the structure of the wood and prevents shrinking or expanding," she said.

Ultimately, the canoe may be placed on permanent display in Brevard County.

Back