• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
from the link.

An American Fork man was charged Tuesday after he allegedly ran a woman off the road and to her death in an attempt to repossess her SUV.

Kenneth Drew, 49, was charged in 4th District Court with manslaughter, a second-degree felony, over 35-year-old Ashleigh Best's death.

[...]
A neighbor's surveillance video shows Best taking off in the SUV and Drew trying to box in Best with his tow truck as both vehicles accelerate, according to charging documents. Best maneuvers around the truck with Drew "speeding" after her "in very close pursuit," charges state.

After leaving the camera's view, the two came to an S curve in the road, and rather than giving Best some space, charges state, Drew drove the tow truck "straight to pin Mrs. Best against the curb on the right."

The SUV jumped the curb and hit a tree, a collision that inflicted fatal injuries on Best, charges state.

Police believe speeds through city streets were 70-80 mph, and apparently the collision, ending at 682 N. 100 East, occurred at full speed. "There's no evidence of braking before impact," Pleasant Grove Police Chief Mike Smith said later that day.

Drew's explanation of what happened that night doesn't entirely match the video and photo evidence gathered by police, charges state.

Drew's girlfriend was in his tow truck and told officers she was "scared during this incident and repeatedly wondered why they were even chasing Mrs. Best," according to charges.

She also said she was unsure of whether Drew ran Best off the road on purpose, charges state.

[...]

Damn son! You know you fucked up when your own woman throws you under the bus! He's a jackass but why the fuck did the dumbass run? Pay your bills and this shit won't happen.

I read somewhere that the family had just moved in with one of the couple's parents after falling on hard times. Dad explained that him and the repo man were talking and he had gone inside to call the bank to make a payment when the wife ran out and took off in the vehicle.

Wrong on her part. But having done skip tracing and surveillance for a repo company before, his actions were downright wrong. All he had to do was call the cops, prove the repo order from the finance company and the cops would've pulled her over.

Or, you know. It was in a driveway. Wait until 0300 and get one hook on the vehicle, then it's yours.

This was repo man fail 101.

Stupid asshole trying to play cowboy and ends up taking a life.
Spend some time thinking that one over nutsack.

@Sage If you need help, i can help you as well. But the link i posted is pretty much the whole shebang on how to post a new thread :)

I wonder if the family can sue the finance company that hired the repo guy. Hopefully at least the repo company has deep pockets, for now anyway. Something tells me some folks are about to lose their livelihood. Repo company is gonna have all their own shit reposessed by the end of all this, kinda funny.

Is manslaughter the harshest he could be facing? Really need to throw the book at this shithead.

He's a jackass but why the fuck did the dumbass run?

What idiot stops for some maniac chasing them down in their truck?

I wonder if the family can sue the finance company that hired the repo guy. Hopefully at least the repo company has deep pockets, for now anyway. Something tells me some folks are about to lose their livelihood. Repo company is gonna have all their own shit reposessed by the end of all this, kinda funny.

Is manslaughter the harshest he could be facing? Really need to throw the book at this shithead.

What idiot stops for some maniac chasing them down in their truck?

What idiot gets into a vehicle in the midst of it being repoed and decides to run for it?

A repossession agent who pleaded guilty to killing a mother-of-three while trying to take back her car in a high speed pursuit was sentenced up to 15 years in prison.

Kenneth Drew, 50, sobbed in court as the judge ordered him to spend one to 15 years behind bars at Utah State Prison for the death of 35-year-old Ashleigh Best.

It was a surprising sentence, as Drew accepted a deal that recommended he only spend one year in a local jail if he pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

The prosecution recommended that he then serve 60 months of probation before having his second-degree felony charge downgraded to class A misdemeanor.

They also agreed that Best's family could not advocate for a specific sentence, according to the Salt Lake Tribune.

But Drew was still given the maximum punishment allowed. He will have to begin serving his sentence in a week.

Brennen Best, Ashleigh's husband, said he was 'extremely happy' with the sentence but said it was 'just a little victory'.

'I think that the facts of the case couldn't be overlooked,' he told the paper.

'The facts are that he chased my wife 12 blocks, put her into a tree and killed her. And he has to answer for that.'

'My answering is that I lost my wife. My wife lost her life. My children have lost their parents. I'm just a shell of what I was.'

Best was killed after crashing into a tree at speeds of at least 70mph in Pleasant Grove, south of Salt Lake City, on May 17.

Drew had gone to her house after midnight to take her Lincoln Navigator on behalf of a bank because she had fallen behind on title loan payments.

Brennen stepped between the tow truck and the SUV and argued until Drew agreed to leave the vehicle and allow the couple time to make a payment and return with proof, according to police documents.

A short time later, Best got in her SUV and drove away. Her husband told police he had instructed her to drive the SUV to her mother's house.

Drew later told police he was angry about the deception and sped after her in his tow truck with his girlfriend in the passenger's seat.

A neighbor's security camera shows Drew trying to force Best against a curb as both cars accelerated.

Prosecutors said Drew then drove alongside Mrs Best's SUV, grinding his rear right tire into her door.

Best jumped the curb and slammed into a tree. She died a short time later from her injuries.

Drew claimed he was just following Best to keep an eye on the SUV but investigators said evidence, including pictures and GPS data, showed that wasn't the case.

On Tuesday Loni DeLand, Drew's defense attorney, argued that although there was 'no question' he had been reckless, the crash was not intentional.

DeLand argued that Best's driving ability may have been affected by a mixture of drugs in her system that included antihistamine, anti-anxiety medication and methadone.

He asked the judge for jail with work release, claiming the crash could have been 'induced by either party'.

Drew apologized for what he called an 'unfortunate accident' during his sentencing hearing.
LINK

well, this gt out of control fast. Reproing is a dangerous job and it doesn't sound like the wife had the best intentions in this case, she wanted to hide the car and was willing to do a fast and furious number rather than give it up. He should have turned it over to a filed police complaint so they could have then ratcheted it up to a warrant to get the car rather than fall into the car chase.

I can't believe he called it an unfortunate accident. Deliberately running someone off the road is not an accident. He still hasn't accepted his responsibility.

Back