• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Oberle

Trusted Member
Pics at souce link: http://www.thesunchronicle.com/news/local_news/kp-student-charged-with-manslaughter-in-fairhaven-friend-s-death/article_821a5d5e-be30-11e4-ada1-7b43f5417c27.html

Michelle Carter has only charged been with manslaughter (and in juvenile court), but deserves much, much more. I shudder at the thought of this excuse for a human being running around free. I know she's young, but she stinks of human evil, the kind that doesn't wear off.

PLAINVILLE — A King Philip Regional High School senior has been indicted for involuntary manslaughter, allegedly for urging a friend to commit suicide. She then raised money for mental illness in the name of her friend.

She is accused of urging Conrad Roy III, 18, of Fairhaven and Mattapoisett to kill himself, which he did while idling a truck last July in the parking lot of a Fairhaven Kmart. Authorities said he died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Police went through Roy’s cellphone and allegedly found a number of text messages from Carter, right up until the time he died, when she allegedly urged Roy to go through with the suicide, according to court documents.

Fairhaven police Detective Scott Gordon said in a police report: “Not only did Conrad tell Carter in several of his texts prior to his death that he was scared and didn’t want to leave his family, she continued to encourage him to take his own life, and when he actually started to carry out the act, he got scared again and exited his truck, but instead of telling him to stay out of the truck ... Carter told him to ‘get back in.’”

Gregg Miliote, a spokesman for Bristol County District Attorney Quinn, issued a written statement Thursday outlining the basics of the case.
“Based on the totality of the investigation, it is alleged that Ms. Carter had first-hand knowledge of Roy’s suicidal thoughts,” he said.
“Instead of attempting to assist him or notify his family or school officials, Ms. Carter is alleged to have strongly influenced his decision to take his own life, encouraged him to commit suicide and guided him in his engagement of activities which led to his death.”
He confirmed that Carter called and sent text messages to the victim encouraging him to go through with the suicide.

Carter’s attorney, Joseph P. Cataldo of Franklin, told The Standard-Times of New Bedford Thursday night that she did not commit a crime and that the manslaughter charge probably will be dismissed.
“This is terrible tragedy — a young man taking his own life,” he told the Standard-Times.
He accused the district attorney’s office of “trying to pin the blame on someone.”
“I can’t understand why they brought the charge,” Cataldo said. “They’re trying to claim there is manslaughter, when they freely admit the boy took his own life. You can’t have it both ways.”

On Carter’s Facebook page and on the Plainville Athletic League website, postings say she organized a softball tournament last September to raise money for mental health awareness in honor of her friend, Roy.

The event was called “Homers for Conrad,” and Carter wrote: “life can be tough, but helping others makes it easier.”

Carter posted on her Twitter page about the outcome of the fundraiser.
“Thank you so much to everyone who came out to support Homers for Conrad! I’m so happy to say that with your help, we raised over $2,300!” Carter posted the message on her Twitter page Sept. 13 under the account @michyc47.

She wrote about suicide prevention often on her social media accounts.

On Sept. 10, 2014, she posted on her Twitter page: “National Suicide Awareness day, I wish more people understood. I love you and miss you everyday Conrad. Help others #WeCanEndSuicide.” She retweeted the link to a suicide prevention hotline on Sept. 21, 2014.

The youthful offender designation she was indicted under means she will be tried in juvenile court, but her trial will be open to the public, unlike typical juvenile cases. Carter was 17 at the time of her friend’s death.

Meanwhile, the grandmother of the victim, Janice Roy, said Thursday night she did not want to say too much about the case because it is making the family relive the heartache of Conrad’s death.
She did say Conrad was a good kid who had earned his boat captain’s license in only three weeks as he went to work for the family’s marine salvage business.

Conrad Roy Jr., the father, was working a tug boat Feb. 19, 2009, when US Airways Flight 1549 went down in the Hudson River. Roy Jr.’s tug was among the first to come to the rescue.​

They'll have a record of the text messages, though. It is not really up for discussion what she said, is it? And if her words were as reported, she is morally guilty, if not culpable by law.

What a pathological, self-centered little bitch. I wish they had charged her as an adult. I also feel badly for he parents when they discovered they had raised such a sociopath. I'd have no problem with keeping this chick in prison for most of her life, she is NOT going to change is 100 percent to blame for this kid's suicide. Fuck her:finger:

Actually, this is another one of those "with friends like [Michelle Carter], [Conrad Roy III] doesn't need enemies"-stories.......

Found some more info at http://www.newser.com/story/203354/teen-faces-manslaughter-in-friends-suicide.html:

She was texting him at the same time she was texting other friends expressing worry that he was missing.

The Boston Globe has one example: “I’m losing all hope that he’s even alive,” she texted a friend. Then she texted Roy, “Let me know when you’re gonna do it."
Just think about that for a moment. :sour: And that this girl will likely just walk freely into her future, or get a little slap on the wrist. I don't know why this story is bothering me so much, but it is. Maybe I'll go watch something uplifting for a while or something . . .

Found some more info at http://www.newser.com/story/203354/teen-faces-manslaughter-in-friends-suicide.html:

She was texting him at the same time she was texting other friends expressing worry that he was missing.

The Boston Globe has one example: “I’m losing all hope that he’s even alive,” she texted a friend. Then she texted Roy, “Let me know when you’re gonna do it."
Just think about that for a moment. :sour: And that this girl will likely just walk freely into her future, or get a little slap on the wrist. I don't know why this story is bothering me so much, but it is. Maybe I'll go watch something uplifting for a while or something . . .
I was reading this one on the FP I think.

It's bugging me too. I think it's the girl's forty-forehead and her complete and utter lack of empathy covered by a mask of sweetness. She sent THOUSANDS of messages to him, they used to date and she was in constant contact with his family she had to know somewhere inside that those messages would come out. Yet she kept up the act with his family knowing they'd be doubly devastated when they found out.

That shit cannot be fixed. I know she's still a teen, and they're mentally imbalanced by nature, but this goes well beyond your normal teen assholery. This shit is evil.

I'm on the fence here.... Do I think she needs to be locked up? Yes this bitch is dangerous, she's the type to make her kids "sick" to get attention...but this kid killed himself,she didn't lock him in the car.
This kid allowed a girl to convince him to kill himself, in a couple years if she told her to beat a baby to a bloody pulp would would we take blame off of him?

This is a terrible either way and for some reason no matter how i type it I look like a dick but I can't help but feel that these two would have ended up doing some fucked up shit later in life.... Her because she most definitely will hurt someone else and him cause he was manipulated by a teenage girl.. How long till someone got him to do something terrible to someone else and not himself

I see what you're saying, if it was so easy to talk him into KILLING HIMSELF, which should have been a very hard thing to do, how easy would it have been to talk him in to anything else, like beating kittens or raping babies...etc. something that didn't involved hurting himself at all.

Well I do hope anyone who ends up befriending, being an acquaintance, dating, marrying, etc., this harsh ass bitch doesn't take a damn word she says personally or to heart like this poor guy did. She's caused enough destruction in what short time she's been alive. Hell Hitler and this broad would have gotten along great! I wonder if her parents know what level of a demon they have spawned?

I'm on the fence here.... Do I think she needs to be locked up? Yes this bitch is dangerous, she's the type to make her kids "sick" to get attention...but this kid killed himself,she didn't lock him in the car.
This kid allowed a girl to convince him to kill himself, in a couple years if she told her to beat a baby to a bloody pulp would would we take blame off of him?

This is a terrible either way and for some reason no matter how i type it I look like a dick but I can't help but feel that these two would have ended up doing some fucked up shit later in life.... Her because she most definitely will hurt someone else and him cause he was manipulated by a teenage girl.. How long till someone got him to do something terrible to someone else and not himself
She didn't give him the idea of killing himself, that was all him, but she knew he was teetering and could have helped him, but instead pushed him off the cliff.

Last edited:

I don't think I'd be worried about him being talked into beating a baby had he survived, it seems he was incredibly depressed, and while it might be easy to talk a depressed person into hurting themselves, imho it would be a whole different story in trying to talk them into hurting another.

That said, ultimately he could have stopped himself, could have not listened to her. My trouble is that I believe he WOULD have stopped, if not for her. Maybe he would have gone on to do it later anyway, but maybe not; we'll never know now. Not only that, but she knew where he was the entire time, she could have told his family and had them stop him, she wanted him to die either way.

She's fucking disturbed.

I keep thinking it is a very fucked up mindset similar to Munchhausen by proxy . If my best friend is depressed he gets lots of attention , but if my best friend commits suicide I'm the grieving one , and the center of attention .

So she was looking for her own personal pity party..bitch

Last edited:

So she was looking for her own personal pity party..bitch
I think that's exactly why she did it, and then she gets to play the Valiant Champion of his cause and be in the spotlight ongoing with everyone thinking what a wonderful person she is.

This is murder. She manipulated that boy until he did commit suicide. She should have her cold ass locked up, or better yet, put in a room with his family. Bitch is fucking psycho

What a load of shit. She didn't kill anybody. The dude was suicidal, he wanted to die. She helped. Big fucking deal.

I'm not sure that this constitutes Munchausen by proxy, but it definitely sounds like some attention-seeking bullshit. By clinical standards I think the Munchausen label would imply that she made him suicidal to begin with (which is pretty unlikely).
Narcissistic people are incredibly dangerous, and this all seems like she wanted to seem like a heroically concerned friend who was "there every step of the way", soaking up all the attention he may have received had anyone else known about the situation in detail. I've met people like that before...shit, my ex-bf LOVED to whine and bitch and tell people about my mental/physical health problems so he could sound like some kind of martyr (but he actually was quite antagonistic and totally unsupportive). He would tell people about my personal business (stuff I really didn't want to get attention for, it was really embarrassing) for attention, but he actually didn't give a rat's ass if I lived or died. If I had, he probably would've done exactly what she did---trying to "raise awareness" and all that crap, when the whole time he actually never did a damn thing to help me and actually made everything way worse. Some people enjoy the "trauma drama" as a means of attention because they don't have any real problems of their own (except, of course, for severe narcissism, which their own self righteousness makes them unable to see).

Assisted suicide then ... still a crime.

Which is also a load of total shit.

At worst this bimbo was very, very misguiding and nutty herself. Instead of dragging the kid through the mud we should be wanting her to get the help she needs and at least be appreciative of her clearly trying to make amends for what happened. The fact that she's devoted so much time and effort to suicide awareness and similar causes shows she likely regrets her past behaviors. Sounds like she's turned around. And let's not forget this is a kid we're talking about, likely very confused and ill one.

Which is also a load of total shit.

At worst this bimbo was very, very misguiding and nutty herself. Instead of dragging the kid through the mud we should be wanting her to get the help she needs and at least be appreciative of her clearly trying to make amends for what happened. The fact that she's devoted so much time and effort to suicide awareness and similar causes shows she likely regrets her past behaviors. Sounds like she's turned around. And let's not forget this is a kid we're talking about, likely very confused and ill one.

Did you miss the part where she was telling people she didn't know where he was, at the same time she was encouraging him to finish himself off. That's evil. There were people looking for him to help him, but she was preventing them to get to him.
She should have been educating herself about suicide awareness before her friend died.
I wouldn't want her near my kids.

They may nog be able to charge her with much, but I really wish the judge would stick her in an institution or mental hospital until they can figure out if she can be treated. To be this young and to have no empathy at all....scary.

Nope, she deserves jail, she urged a, mentally unstable, friend to take his own life ..

Wow, a boat captain's license? Now that's something to pin your hat on! Not really much reason to stick around and prove anything after that when you think about it.

Did you miss the part where she was telling people she didn't know where he was, at the same time she was encouraging him to finish himself off.

You're so quick to call it evil. Perhaps she genuinely thought she was helping him. Perhaps she believed she understood his pain and figured it best to aid him in his decision to end that pain. Telling others about his whereabouts would have clashed with that.

She's a total dipshit and def in need of intervention, counseling, education herself. But legally culpable for his death? Evil? GIve me a fucking break. People are so quick to indulge their knee jerk gut reactions to shit rather then approaching such events with critical thinking and care. Not everything in this world is so black and white.

No mention of suicidal behavior should be ignored . But what about those people that use it as form of emotional bondage . For example the soon to be ex spouse that threatens it every time the divorce gets closer to becoming a reality . If the other spouse says " go ahead kill yourself " after hearing the threat for the thousandth time , and the person goes through with it .. is it a crime ? I know this isn't the case here , but if this person is charged it does open that door .

But legally culpable for his death?

Yeah, I have to agree. She isn't and she shouldn't be, sadly he still chose to do it himself. Setting a legal precedent like this too dangerous.

They can probably get her on fraud with her 'charity' event though.

he got scared again and exited his truck, but instead of telling him to stay out of the truck ... Carter told him to ‘get back in.’”
This part seals it for me. She's 17, she is plenty old enough to know better, those few months until she turned 18 didn't make a difference. If she was 12 or 13 I could see the validity of an argument about her young age but 17 when the magic age is 18? Save it. Cunt is evil and she knew better but didn't care. Lock her up.

To me, this looks like a case of Munchausens Syndrome by Proxy in action. This is a mental condition in which those afflicted harm others - or perhaps as in this case cause them to harm themselves - so that they can bask in the attention and pity that comes their way. Most such perpetrators are females, and their victims are most often children in their care. But although the victim here is not a child, and was talked into harming himself, the psychological motivation appears to be the same.

Latest posts

Back