• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
http://abc13.com/home/elderly-couple-scammed-out-of-home-by-grandson/1523613/

An elderly couple has given up fighting an eviction from the home they've lived in for nearly six decades after their grandson allegedly mortgaged it away and sold it without their knowledge.

Helen and Hank Kawecki are scheduled to leave their home this Saturday.

The Kaweckis, both in their late 80s, have been facing eviction for months after they signed over the deed to the home to their grandson, who allegedly mortgaged the property to the maximum with three loans and defaulted on all of them, the couple said.

The relative also allegedly sold the house without their knowledge.

He persuaded his grandparents to sign the deed over, promising he would take care of them financially, according to a GoFundMe page.

"It's hard, very hard, to leave this. But we don't have any choice. And I didn't ever think my grandson would ever do this to me. Ever," said Helen Kawecki.

The couple will move in to a mobile home in a senior living community, thanks to the generosity of the community and neighbors who helped raise nearly $125,000 on their behalf.

Doug and Linda Emerson, who live across the street from the Kaweckis, created the fundraising page. They first learned of the alleged fraud after a real estate agent introduced her clients to them as the soon-to-be residents of the Kaweckis' house, The Star reported back in July.

That prompted Doug Emerson -- who knew the couple planned to live in their house for the rest of their lives -- to investigate online.

After learning the loans against the home were in default, and knowing that the couple had no money and nowhere else to go, the Emersons helped the couple hire a lawyer to fight back.

The attorney tried to halt the sale, but "the lenders went through the foreclosure process and that could not be stopped," Doug Emerson wrote on the fundraising page.

Although they were given a temporary reprieve, the couple has been evicted from their home and has until Sept. 27 to move out, according to an update on the page.

The Kaweckis are terrified of what the future holds, but are grateful they have some place to go.

"Not used to this," said Hank Kawecki. "I don't know what to say anymore. It's a hard thing."

Local law enforcement and the Ventura County District Attorney's Office have investigated the case, according to the GoFund Me page. KTLA reports that it was not immediately known whether the grandson would face any charges.

The Kaweckis have said they are sharing their story in the hopes that it serves as a warning to other families.

What a greedy, uncaring asshole.

This totally disgusts me. For years i worked with old folks and i just love them.
But it comforts me to know karma can be a bitch so he should get whats coming to him pretty quick.

I hope he some how gets both his elbows broken.

Only then will he realize what a total hated ass hole he is.

(Its very hard to eat and wipe your own ass when both elbows are broken)

I used to be the most peaceful non violent person ever. But the more i read DD, the more great ideas for torturing people i think of.
DD members have great imaginations!

Normally I'd agree, but, the people which bought the house are as likely, as not, innocent in this. Why should they have to lose anything because of that fermented scumbag grandson?

The attorney tried to halt the sale, but "the lenders went through the foreclosure process and that could not be stopped," Doug Emerson wrote on the fundraising page.

Looks to me like it went into foreclosure. The bank "bought" it.

Last edited:
I swear I've read this on here before. although it had the grandson's name?

He's one of like 15 of their grandkids...hang on.

Here's we go. Not the one here (I might've just read it elsewhere), but more about how Chadd Moore did it to them.

It's pretty evil.
About two years ago, the Kaweckis needed to take out a loan and Moore offered to help. Moore proposed they put the house in his name while he supported them financially for the rest of their lives.

Instead, Moore mortgaged the property, defaulting on three loans against the house totaling almost $500,000, and put the house up for sale.

After taking out the first loan, Moore promised to give his grandparents the money in monthly payments, but after a few months he stopped, the Thousand Oaks Acorn reported.

Moore allegedly spent all the money in Las Vegas....

At times, Moore lured his grandparents out of their home while realtors hosted open house events to potential clients.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ed-scammed-grandson-article-1.2727272?0p19G=c

Why are some of these articles not giving the sons full name/employer/facebook link/etc.?

The couple will move in to a mobile home in a senior living community, thanks to the generosity of the community and neighbors who helped raise nearly $125,000 on their behalf.

My trailer cost over 100 grand less than that, what are these crooks doin with the rest of the money? Grandparent like grandson huh.

Normally I'd agree, but, the people which bought the house are as likely, as not, innocent in this. Why should they have to lose anything because of that fermented scumbag grandson?
The person who bought it is far from innocent. I'll have to dig up the links I was reading last night, someone found the whole financial paper trail and it's shady as fuck.

Basically the grandson isn't quite as bad as people are making him out to be, douche yes but he did pay the biggest loans off. They lost the house (valued at almost $800k) for between $3-50k(its not known how much of the last loan was left to be paid and sources vary) left owning on the loan.

The grandson took out the loans through a very shady company. The company then did something that no one can figure out yet. They transferred the beneficiary of the loan payment to another bigger loan company. There hasn't been any sign that the bigger company bought the debt, they just somehow got beneficiary. The larger company is registered as the beneficiary while the smaller company is still going after the grandson (3 months later even).

The owner of the larger company sold the house to himself, for $89k. He said he took out a $450k loan to buy the house. Once the lawyer stopped the public sale the larger company foreclosed and he purchased the house himself. He then took the couple to court to try and have them evicted or pay rent (he claimed he was having to pay $6k/month for his loan on the house). The judge shot down both requests (for eviction and rent) and gave a 60 day stay. He loan shark appealed and it was shot down again.

The couple are civilly suing the loan company and their grandson. They have brought in a prosecutor that specializes in fraud and are investigating criminally at this point.
[doublepost=1474884981,1474884573][/doublepost]
Why are some of these articles not giving the sons full name/employer/facebook link/etc.?

My trailer cost over 100 grand less than that, what are these crooks doin with the rest of the money? Grandparent like grandson huh.
His name is Chadd Moore. He lives with his mother in Nevada. At the go fund me they explain what the costs are for. They had to buy a trailer (plus the lot) and in the area they live in its pretty pricey. They managed to find a trailer that was falling into the ground and people donated services/time etc to fix it for them. The rest of the money is being used to pay for the legal/court fees(which are already in double digits, they've been fighting this since Jan.) and for them to live off. In all reality 120k doesn't go far when you are actively fighting a legal battle and needing a place to live.

I could have sworn it was on here too so I looked it up several different ways before I posted it. I figured someone would find it later and they'd merge it, LOL.

I hope they get it figured out and they get their home back, but they probably won't..... get their home or get it figured out.

Oh Jack, no, they live in LA California. When I left the North Bay region, 20 years ago a falling- down "starter home" was half a million. Seriously.

Back