• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Tits McGee

Karma Whore
The man accused of murdering his ex-wife in Berthold early Sunday morning angrily asked a judge to sentence him to death for the slaying.
David Marvin Hail, 39, of Berthold, told Judge Douglas Mattson Monday morning in Northwest District Court in Minot that he killed 44-year-old Noreen Tina Hail, and that he just wanted "to get it over with." In an appearance later Monday afternoon, however, Hail had calmed considerably and agreed to at least consult with a public defender in the case.
Deputies from the Ward County Sheriff's Department were called to 8 Tyler St. in Berthold around 12:30 a.m. Sunday to a 9-1-1 call reporting a domestic disturbance in the home...

Upon arrival, the deputies knocked on the door but received no response. Utilizing a wood pallet to stand on, Roed and Kraft looked through the window of an unlit room with a flashlight and spotted David Hail lying on the floor with a knife. The deputies could see Hail's hands moving, but he would not respond to their knocks on the window.
The deputies then entered the trailer. David Hail's vital signs were taken, and he was found to be alive but unresponsive with injuries to his arms and neck. Upon checking the rest of the trailer, Noreen Hail was discovered in a bedroom...

David Hail was transported to Trinity Hospital for treatment of his injuries, where he was interviewed by Keller. Hail reportedly told Keller that he and his ex-wife had gone to Wal-Mart and purchased alcohol, then got food to take home. Upon arriving at the residence, they began playing a board game. :dong: An argument ensued between the two, with escalation leading to both becoming physical with one another.

Hail told Keller that he knew 9-1-1 had been called and heard deputies outside. In order to prevent Noreen Hail from speaking, he said he put his hand in her mouth, then his forearm across her throat. He said he then placed first his right hand, then his left on her throat and squeezed. When he got off her and stood up, he said, she was no longer moving, she was quiet and her eyes were staring up at him.

Upon a search of the scene, broken glass was found in the kitchen and hallway. A bottle of whiskey was on the floor, and a bottle of tequila on the kitchen counter. In the bedroom, amid signs of a struggle, Noreen Hail's phone was discovered broken beneath her body. A box cutter knife was found in another room, with what appeared to be blood also discovered in more than one location.

Keller's affidavit then states, "The defendant then called three individuals and told them what he had done. The defendant told (me) that he wants the death penalty and that he doesn't want to waste taxpayers' time with fighting the charge."

A clearly agitated David Hail appeared in court Monday morning, with that train of thought apparently continuing. As Mattson began to explain the proceedings to Hail, Hail immediately interrupted the judge.
"I just want to get it over with," Hail said.

Mattson advised Hail that he recommended Hail exercise his right to remain silent.
"I'm guilty and I just want to get it ," Hail blurted again.
"Once again, I encourage you to exercise your right to remain silent," Mattson advised.

"I'm guilty, your honor," Hail spat. "There's no evidence - we were the only two involved."
Mattson began to explain that regardless of whether Hail wanted to plead guilty to the charge immediately, certain steps have to be taken in the process before that plea is accepted.
This only served to anger Hail further.

"You're wasting the taxpayers' money," he barked, as Mattson continued to persuade him to calm down.
"In all fair honesty, I don't see why you don't just put me in the chair or give me a lethal injection," Hail said emphatically. "Why waste the taxpayers' money sitting my butt through prison? I know her family would be a lot better off."

Mattson told Hail that although he is accused of committing Class AA felony murder, the state's most severe charge, the maximum penalty is life imprisonment since North Dakota does not have the death penalty.
Mattson then said that he would appoint an attorney for Hail through the public defender's office.
"I don't want an attorney - that's my right!" Hail shouted. "I'm telling you right now, I'm not working with him, I'm not (cooperating)!"
"I know my rights. I'm exercising my right in not wanting an attorney!"
More of this hero among criminals at the link.
http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/content.detail/id/537087.html

Last edited:
I would third it; but even more than that I need to comment that the killing of his ex-wife clearly wasn't premediated. He has a better case for man-slaughter than many of the bastards we see on here........

I would third it; but even more than that I need to comment that the killing of his ex-wife clearly wasn't premediated. He has a better case for man-slaughter than many of the bastards we see on here........

I am sad to say the same thing,but let's give him what he wants anyway.

Why doesn't he just off himself? If at first you don't succeed...

It can be done. The jail here has had inmates kill themselves by bashing their head against the wall. Messy, but effective.
We had a guy here try to stab himself with a pen. He went in through his eye. He survived... must have missed his pea sized target.

The preliminary hearing for a Berthold man charged with murder has been delayed.

39-year-old David Hail is accused of Class Double-A Murder in the death of his ex-wife Noreen Tina Hail.

His court-appointed attorney, Tom Gunderson, asked for and received a continuance of today's scheduled preliminary hearing.

The preliminary hearing is where the state must convince the judge there is sufficient evidence to move forward with the case.

David Hail was arrested early on February 28th at a home in Berthold - a home where the dead body of Tina Hail was discovered.

Hail told investigators he had put his hand on Tina's throat and squeezed after an argument with her.

Judge Doug Mattson has not yet set a new date for the preliminary hearing.

Hail is not due to enter a plea in the case until after the hearing.

http://www.kxnet.com/getArticle.asp?ArticleId=552439

Preliminary hearing is tomorrow.

ETA: This article is from April. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited:
I'm shocked

A man accused of murdering his ex-wife in Berthold in late February has entered an innocent plea in the case. Really? I'm shocked.
David Marvin Hail, 39, of Berthold, appeared before Judge Douglas Mattson in Northwest District Court in Minot Friday morning, where he was scheduled for a preliminary hearing and arraignment on a charge of murder, a Class AA felony.
Hail stands accused of choking Noreen Tina Hail, 44, in David Hail's Berthold residence on Feb. 28 during a domestic disturbance that occurred after both had been drinking heavily.
The calm, clean-shaven Hail who materialized Friday was in stark contrast to the agitated defendant who asked Mattson for the death penalty a mere 75 days earlier.

......."We've been getting all the discovery, and soon we will get more discovery as it becomes available to the state, so we'll waive," Gunderson said. Huh?
Mattson then asked Hail how he wished to plea to the murder charge.
"Not guilty," Hail said.
Hail opted to retain his right to a jury trial in the matter.

...."I think we've been getting it as it comes into the state's attorney's office," Gunderson said. "We just yesterday received a disk of recorded telephone calls, and I don't know if there's going to be more of those, or anything else coming in."
However, all signs indicated a harmonious working relationship between prosecution and defense at this juncture. I wonder what those are about?
Hail's next mandatory court appearance is scheduled to be at a pretrial conference, which Mattson scheduled for July 22.

http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/content.detail/id/539362.html?nav=5010

"However, all signs indicated a harmonious working relationship between prosecution and defense at this juncture." I wonder what those are about?

I suspect what that means is that the prosecution are so certain of their case, and the facts coming in so damning, that they have no reason to wish to conceal any of the evidence from the defence?

Go to hell, David Hail! :cheers:

I suspect what that means is that the prosecution are so certain of their case, and the facts coming in so damning, that they have no reason to wish to conceal any of the evidence from the defence?

Go to hell, David Hail! :cheers:
Sorry, I meant the recorded phone calls. It looks like a clear cut case of drinking, fighting, and then choking. I don't know what or whose phone calls they are referring to or why they are significant.

Sorry, wasn't paying attention there. I agree, they sound mysterious. I wonder who recorded them? And when?

I have known this guy since he was 8 yrs old, bad seed from the start. Life in prison is what he deserves! Don’t let him off by ending his life!

Hello, Mr. Katz.

Do you have any tales of Hail's background you're willing to share with us?

--Al

Actually you are wrong this man is evil and deserves the death penalty!!
Post automatically merged:

You all are entitled to your opinions. However, you do not know this man like I do. This woman he murdered was my mother ! I lost her at age 11 when she ran away with this bastard! Then at 14 I lost her soul and the chance to talk to her on weekends. A freshman in highschool who was forced to go to school the day after hearing her mother was murdered by a drug using bastard. He is right we would be better off, but he deserves to rot in jail and know of what he did the rest of his life. This deceiving man had the nerve to write me an apology letter, which I never got to read but growong up I wish I didn't live with inconsiderate humans. Overall this is something I wasnt surprised at. His anger was very deep and cold. He would attack my mither in front of my face before she gave me to random people. He jumped on her right near me when he broke her cigarettes and she was trying to fix them. He screamed and threw the backgammon game board when he was losing so he figured she was cheating, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. She wasn't cheating, I was right there. He is a sore loser and just an overall loser !! This man deserves my hands on him because of him I live with depression, anxiety and fear of losing everything close to me. I cry inside everyday, but on the outside am the happiest person you will meet. I'm overall happy and joyful and the kindest sweetest person you will know. But everyday my inside mind tells me to end it. What is worth the pain of living without a mother for. (P.s.. Never had my father around) So before you comment more negativity or anything irrelevant saying you feel sprdy for this bastard, remember the fanily she had. Two daughters who now live in deep dark depression that can nevwr be cured because we are not pill takers.

You all are entitled to your opinions. However, you do not know this man like I do. This woman he murdered was my mother ! I lost her at age 11 when she ran away with this bastard! Then at 14 I lost her soul and the chance to talk to her on weekends. A freshman in highschool who was forced to go to school the day after hearing her mother was murdered by a drug using bastard. He is right we would be better off, but he deserves to rot in jail and know of what he did the rest of his life. This deceiving man had the nerve to write me an apology letter, which I never got to read but growong up I wish I didn't live with inconsiderate humans. Overall this is something I wasnt surprised at. His anger was very deep and cold. He would attack my mither in front of my face before she gave me to random people. He jumped on her right near me when he broke her cigarettes and she was trying to fix them. He screamed and threw the backgammon game board when he was losing so he figured she was cheating, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. She wasn't cheating, I was right there. He is a sore loser and just an overall loser !! This man deserves my hands on him because of him I live with depression, anxiety and fear of losing everything close to me. I cry inside everyday, but on the outside am the happiest person you will meet. I'm overall happy and joyful and the kindest sweetest person you will know. But everyday my inside mind tells me to end it. What is worth the pain of living without a mother for. (P.s.. Never had my father around) So before you comment more negativity or anything irrelevant saying you feel sprdy for this bastard, remember the fanily she had. Two daughters who now live in deep dark depression that can nevwr be cured because we are not pill takers.
I have known this guy since he was 8 yrs old, bad seed from the start. Life in prison is what he deserves! Don’t let him off by ending his life!
Hi R Katz, will you be willing to speak to the daughter of the woman he killed?

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your personal story. Getting it out may help you but I hope you can get some professional help. I believe it can get better, so please don't think emotional recovery is a lost cause. Medication is not always the answer, so I don't disagree about not taking pills. My problems are not as severe as yours, not even close, but I did find that getting myself physically healthy and taking some supplements helped me get my head in a better state of mind so I could start helping myself although it's something I still have to work on after many years. Please don't give up, because then you won't have a chance at the life you should have and be able to enjoy.

My heart goes out to you and your sister, and both of you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you for sharing your personal story. Getting it out may help you but I hope you can get some professional help. I believe it can get better, so please don't think emotional recovery is a lost cause. Medication is not always the answer, so I don't disagree about not taking pills. My problems are not as severe as yours, not even close, but I did find that getting myself physically healthy and taking some supplements helped me get my head in a better state of mind so I could start helping myself although it's something I still have to work on after many years. Please don't give up, because then you won't have a chance at the life you should have and be able to enjoy.

My heart goes out to you and your sister, and both of you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
AMEN! for people like you thank you for keeping us in your prayers. Update we are doing well ☺

AMEN! for people like you thank you for keeping us in your prayers. Update we are doing well ☺
Hey it is great to hear that things are going well. Keep it up! :)

hmm btw, found him I believe. Will be 65 yrs old at release.

NameHAIL, DAVID MARVIN
Date of Birth12/02/1970
Est. Release Date08/27/2035
FacilityNorth Dakota State Penitentiary (701) 328-6100
3100 E Railroad Ave Bismarck, ND58506

Last edited:
Back