• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Amandascott

As police brutality protests turned to riots in Baltimore earlier this week, an Atlanta-area woman was arrested for allegedly inciting violence against cops with a Facebook post.

Ebony Monique Dickens, of East Point, Georgia, allegedly called for "death to all white cops nationwide" in a Facebook rant that she posted on Monday, East Point police told The Huffington Post. She was arrested Tuesday on charges of terroristic threats after Atlanta police notified the department in East Point. Dickens reportedly deleted her Facebook page hours before her arrest on Tuesday evening.

The 33-year-old is accused of threatening to murder police officers and writing, "Might kill at least 15 [cops] tomorrow." She allegedly posted the rant under the name Tiffany Milan.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/...?utm_hp_ref=crime&ir=India&adsSiteOverride=in

:nailbiting:

No, but seriously, this is going to solve the current issues.....how? She truly believes calling for more racial hatred and violence will somehow end the current race relation issues?

:banghead:

People like this, of any race, just continue to perpetuate the very injustice they claim to be standing up for!

Are we sure she's not from Ferguson? o_O Because my local Little Ceasars is still a burned pile of shit. And that store is owned by a minority, an Arabic man. :shifty:

Woman who threatened to kill white cops on Facebook has legal degree

635658577553269340-EbonyMoniqueDickensMug.jpg

Ebony Monique Dickens (Photo: East Point PD)
EAST POINT, Ga. -- The woman who threatened to kill white police officers -- Ebony Monique Dickens emerged in court Wednesday afternoon. Dickens was charged with dissemination of information to facilitate terroristic threats after she posted on a Facebook page under the name Tiffany Milan.

The threat included a call to action and specifics about her plan to "kill at least 15 tomorrow" and "I can pull it off."

11Alive's Duffie Dixon was inside the East Point Magistrate Court when City Solicitor Antavious Weemes said Dickens, 33, should have known better, since she had a criminology degree. Her public defender, Tracey Moran, corrected the Solicitor saying Dickens had a Masters Degree in "legal studies”.

That legal knowledge played out in her online threat:

Freedom of speech tho. So when you can absolutely show me in the 1st amendment where it explicitly says you can't say 'kill all cops', then I'll delete my status. Other than that.... NOPE!
The judge disagreed with her First Amendment argument. Along with setting a $10,000 bond, Dickens is banned from all social media activity. The judge insisted a condition of her bond required her to freeze all social media accounts.

"My client was simply venting. . . it was a horrible mistake," Moran told the court. "The chance of her doing this again is highly improbable.”

Dickens had family in the courtroom for the bond hearing, including her twin sister. After visiting behind closed doors, the sister yelled at the assembled media, telling them to not point the cameras at her. The Solicitor reprimanded her, telling her he understood her family was going through a difficult time, but she was "just making it worse".

Dickens is expected to appear before a Fulton County judge on Thursday morning at the Fulton County Jail.

What a complete IDIOT.. this proves you can't teach COMMON SENSE.. And the twin sister obviously has the same stupidity gene.. I love the fact they prohibited her from social media .. that in itself is probably killing the big mouth.. I hope the d.a. catches her if she does violate this order..

Free speech lawyer examines woman's call for cop-killing
EAST POINT, GA (CBS46) - Ebony Dickens is accused of advocating the death of all white police officers after posting a threatening message on Facebook.

The first line of Dickens' post on Facebook reads, "Black people should rise up and shoot every white cop in the nation starting now."

Once she was arrested, Dickens claimed she didn't mean for anyone to kill in real life. Dickens' daughter defended her, telling our cameras her mother was just venting.

Dickens seemed to think she was protected by the first amendment, including a reference to it in her post, but police disagree. CBS46 went to an expert to get his take on the subject.

"I just think that the law itself is not geared for something like this," said Attorney Alan Begner.

Begner has a record of success defending clients in cases involving constitutional rights. He said he's not sold on this being an open-and-shut case against Dickens, but there's at least one glaring issue.

"If the post said, 'kill all police officers who are white,' it probably is not actionable, but it says 'now,'" said Begner.

He said because Dickens gives a specific time when she is telling people to kill police, added to her other remarks about "plotting" to do this herself, he thinks that part makes it especially difficult to defend her in this case. But he added that it's not impossible.

East Point police mentioned that they thought Dickens' threats were credible because she had a gun in her apartment. Begner said he did not think her ownership of a firearm was relevant.

Begner said he thinks it's possible to argue in Dickens' defense with her written Facebook statement as-is, but it would be a lot easier if she had been more vague when she was making those remarks.

"A sort of generalized observation is probably not terroristic threats," said Begner.

In his evaluation of the case, we never asked Begner if he thought Dickens' statements were right or wrong, but only whether they are covered by the first amendment.

He said he is interested in hearing the decision that a Fulton County judge or jury makes if this continues all the way to trial.

I'm glad that they have Attorney Begner chiming in because he's addressing exactly what my questions were: The First Amendment.

I find what she posted to be incredibly stupid anytime but especially right now with everything that is happening but I wondered how her arrest worked when weighing the 1st Amendment against it.

I didnt think you could even call someone a bitch on fb I do it like b!%@# if im commenting on fb, does anyone know if its true? and thats a threat i would say not free speech, some dumb fuck out there probably will take her serious.

There's quite a few people on fb saying close to the same unfortunately and it would be interesting to see ho many are nailed for it and how. I didn't even think of the 1st amendment thing until Crystal brought it up and think that any fuel to the fire is wrong because it is always the innocent that end up getting hurt for someone elses actions imo. trying to change something that is wrong isn't gonna happen by acting like a moron.

How does singling out WHITE cops do any good. The power structure is the problem. You can elect a black president, but he's still in the pocket of big business. You can put a woman in charge. Ask any Brit how they feel about Margaret Thatcher. The cops are just the guard dogs, there to protect the rich man's property and serve you with an eviction notice if you're late on the rent. Racism is the mask that capitalism wears to keep us fighting each other. Some cops might be racist but not a damn thing would really change if every cop was black. The system needs to change.

I didnt think you could even call someone a bitch on fb I do it like b!%@# if im commenting on fb, does anyone know if its true?

Nope, that's not true. The First Amendment protects your right to insult someone (there are some questionable laws around cyber bullying in some states, but they're not very sturdy).

The areas where speech can become criminal are harassment (like if you were to repeatedly call someone on Facebook a bitch, going so far as to create fake profiles when you were blocked to continue), obscenity (you can't write a book about raping a child in graphic detail for entertainment purposes) and, of course, threatening speech. This attorney said defending this woman would not be impossible. That's because hardly any case is so strong that defense is impossible. But, I think she'll be convicted.

The cops are just the guard dogs, there to protect the rich man's property and serve you with an eviction notice if you're late on the rent
Yep.. that's all they do :sarcasm:

So when someone breaks into your house, assaults you, rapes your loved one... etc etc etc.. who do you call? Not the cops right? They are obviously too busy serving you an eviction notice.. so who do you call?

My husband puts his life on the line every day for people who don't respect him and could give 2 shits about his life.

I wonder every night if he is going to come home safe. I just found out I am pregnant and the stress of everything going on in Baltimore and all around us is making me fear for my unborn child and for my husband.

Try thinking about their families and the fact that there are decent cops out there who do a damn good job protecting people because they actually give a shit about human life.

So when someone breaks into your house, assaults you, rapes your loved one... etc etc etc.. who do you call? Not the cops right? They are obviously too busy serving you an eviction notice.. so who do you call?

My husband puts his life on the line every day for people who don't respect him and could give 2 shits about his life.

I wonder every night if he is going to come home safe. I just found out I am pregnant and the stress of everything going on in Baltimore and all around us is making me fear for my unborn child and for my husband.

Try thinking about their families and the fact that there are decent cops out there who do a damn good job protecting people because they actually give a shit about human life.

I do think about it. And I feel bad for the few good apples out there. Plenty of people join the police force with the intention of doing good and many of them succeed at it despite the many roadblocks in place to prevent a cop from doing good. But the fact is, cops have to do their job, and many times that job is downright evil. They uphold the laws, even when those laws are unjust or criminal. And the many instances of abuse perpetrated by cops are being hailed as a job well done by their captains. If you really are a good person, I can't imagine how you can stay working as a cop... how you can back your fellow officers when they attack and kill the citizens you're sworn to protect. A racist gang called the Vikings, for instance, thrived in the police force with department heads encouragement. This was proven in a court of law. Cops are like soldiers. I'd rather see them put their force to work for good, but if you are going to follow orders and burn down the village and rape and kill children b/c your commanding officer tells you to, then you ARE the problem.

Hmmm not one of the officers here have ever burnt down a village or raped and killed children. If anything the citizens of Baltimore are the ones burning down their city. And the police are the ones trying to stop it. I'm sorry that you live in the 18th century or wherever the hell you get your "facts" from but you sound ridiculous and your ignorance isn't worth my time

Cops haven't raped children? Cops haven't killed unarmed civilians? Yes people are now burning down their city. But why? You don't believe cops have ever done anything illegal or immoral? All the instances of police brutal are justified? Come on.

@Buffettgirl because I don't hear about them makes them not-so-good in my eyes. Where are all the cops condemning these so-called "rogue cops" or "bad apples"? Why do the "good" cops cover for the ones making them all look bad, and making their jobs that much more dangerous? If you really are a good person, stand up against what's going on, don't just tow the line.

I was asked (and have been asked many times in the past) what I would do if someone broke in my house (or etc etc). Would I call the police? Well, I'm not black and I no longer have long hair so it's much less likely a cop is going to mistake me for an intruder, put a gun to my face and force me down to the ground, so of course now I have no problem or hesitation with calling them. But it wasn't always like that. Spend some time being harassed by cops and your view of them might change.

Cops/civilians/doctors/priests/secretaries/babysitters/unemployed asses haven't raped children? Cops/gang members/soldiers/local thugs/spouses/friends/random 12 yos haven't killed unarmed civilians? Yes people are now burning down their city. But why? Because the cops are the problem, so robbing cvs and fencing the stolen goods, beating our fellow protestors despite them being on your side, and threatening the lives of spouses and kids will solve this injustice! You don't believe cops/basically every single person reading this, nay, on the planet have ever done anything illegal or immoral? All the instances of police brutal are justified? Absolutely not! No way shape or form! However all the times an arrest is procured without use of force isn't broadcast on your boob tube. Come on.
There. :)

@Buffettgirl because I don't hear about them makes them not-so-good in my eyes. Where are all the cops condemning these so-called "rogue cops" or "bad apples"? Why do the "good" cops cover for the ones making them all look bad, and making their jobs that much more dangerous? If you really are a good person, stand up against what's going on, don't just tow the line.

As usual, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. You make many valid points, but don't seem to appreciate the danger and hurdles whistleblower cops face. If there's even one bad apple above them in rank, not only will the whistling fall on dear ears, but nothing is anonymous, retaliation can range from demotion and dismissal to physical threat to self and family.

I can honestly say that my circumstances have never asked that I throw away my career to do the right thing. I mean, take a moment to consider what level of atrocity it would require for you to give up your ability to support your family in the hope of correcting a coworker or department?

The biggest problem is the human condition. We are social, hierarchical creatures programmed to survive above all, and we respond very, very well to authority as a result. Are you familiar with the famed Milgram Experiment and it's variations over the years? Dr. Milgram asked study participants to administer "shocks" to actors on the other side of a wall when the actors answered questions incorrectly. 70% of study participants administered what they honestly believed to be fatal levels of electricity, simply because the research scientist *insisted*. The participants knew everything was voluntary, and that the scientist had no true authority over them, and they still killed people because someone who looked kinda authoritative told them to.

Hitler had no problem finding S.S. Manson had no problem finding young people. It's not that the majority of cops are bad. It's that the majority of cops are human.

As usual, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. You make many valid points, but don't seem to appreciate the danger and hurdles whistleblower cops face. If there's even one bad apple above them in rank, not only will the whistling fall on dear ears, but nothing is anonymous, retaliation can range from demotion and dismissal to physical threat to self and family.

I can honestly say that my circumstances have never asked that I throw away my career to do the right thing. I mean, take a moment to consider what level of atrocity it would require for you to give up your ability to support your family in the hope of correcting a coworker or department?

The biggest problem is the human condition. We are social, hierarchical creatures programmed to survive above all, and we respond very, very well to authority as a result. Are you familiar with the famed Milgram Experiment and it's variations over the years? Dr. Milgram asked study participants to administer "shocks" to actors on the other side of a wall when the actors answered questions incorrectly. 70% of study participants administered what they honestly believed to be fatal levels of electricity, simply because the research scientist *insisted*. The participants knew everything was voluntary, and that the scientist had no true authority over them, and they still killed people because someone who looked kinda authoritative told them to.

Hitler had no problem finding S.S. Manson had no problem finding young people. It's not that the majority of cops are bad. It's that the majority of cops are human.

This. Just this.

I can not begin to speak of the atrocities I have witnessed in my profession. I have seen bad shit go down, and administrative staff pull people to warn them to keep their mouths shut.

I support my family. I make more money than my husband. If I lost my job, we would be on the streets. I do not bow, bend, or break in my ethical or moral compass. If I don't like how stuff is ran, I seek employment elsewhere. In a broke system, the good people suffer. No matter how virtuous I am, I can not create the change I seek in those above me if they are part of a corrupt system.

@mobiusclimber
Stop saying "all". I despise vast generalizations. How would you like it if I said, "all guys that consider cheating on their wives are pieces of shit."?
Lace that shoe up and wear it for a minute. Hurts doesn't it?

Get it. Got it. Good.

@Athena as tho that wasn't actually my problem. :) Thank you for spelling it out for me. As I said in my first post, my problem isn't really with the cops, it's with the system that corrupts the corruptible and silences the rest. The problem is when you have the head of the fraternal order of police make a statement, not simply saying "this police shooting was justified on the part of the officers" but "how dare you question whether this shooting was justified or not, and if you continue to question whether it was or not, we won't protect you." I've watched video of police attacking a man on the ground, with no provocation, and when they saw the person videotaping it, they attacked him as well.

I don't believe for a minute that all cops are evil. But their job is to enforce the laws, and I DO believe that many of those laws are evil. So you can either do your job fully and enforce evil laws or find another line of work. What is the other option here? I've been blessed with having run into some decent police officers who didn't feel it necessary to arrest and incarcerate me even tho I had marijuana on my person. But I was lucky (and in this case lucky to not be black). I have in the past been harassed by cops for no other reason than I had long hair and they thought it would be an easy arrest. I mean, we're talking about a period of time in L.A. when Darryl Gates waged war on "punks" and long hairs. As the song goes, "It's not my imagination, I got a gun at my back!" I was there for the riots, tho I didn't take part. I'd have preferred to see the rioting move to Beverly Hills, but police had road blocks set up to cordon off the "ghetto" in order to insure that it was the only place that burned down. It's why I laugh when people ask "why are they burning their own neighborhood?" The cops are out in full force keeping people from straying outside of their 'hood.

@Forensicwx I hold the police to a higher standard, and I'm surprised more people don't. They supposedly go thru a very rigorous screening/hiring process including a psych exam, a thorough background check, etc etc. They are trained (at least I hope to God they are) in the proper use of firearms, non-lethal ways of disarming people, and psychological ways of diffusing situations so they don't escalate to the point where violence is necessary. I expect that anyone failing at this task should be reprimanded, and when necessary, fired. Am I asking too much? I don't think I am.

My point is, I don't expect to never hear about cops using excessive force, using their position of power to take advantage of people, etc etc. But I DO expect to hear how those people were fired and when appropriate arrested and sentenced to prison. It's why I'm so fuckin' disappointed.

@Buffettgirl - You have been lucky, and likely gave the officers no reason to do anything else. Not everyone is as lucky as you. It doesn't always come down to what you say or do tho. I know from first-hand experience. I'm always courteous to police. They haven't always extended the same courteous to me. Sometimes it's tough to keep a straight face during a rousing round of Good Cop/Bad Cop. I manage, but it isn't always easy.

Here's another example of what I'm talking about:

rally.jpg

Real cute way to make light of someone's death. Seriously, fuck you guys.

@Athena as tho that wasn't actually my problem. :) Thank you for spelling it out for me. As I said in my first post, my problem isn't really with the cops, it's with the system that corrupts the corruptible and silences the rest. The problem is when you have the head of the fraternal order of police make a statement, not simply saying "this police shooting was justified on the part of the officers" but "how dare you question whether this shooting was justified or not, and if you continue to question whether it was or not, we won't protect you." I've watched video of police attacking a man on the ground, with no provocation, and when they saw the person videotaping it, they attacked him as well.

I don't believe for a minute that all cops are evil. But their job is to enforce the laws, and I DO believe that many of those laws are evil. So you can either do your job fully and enforce evil laws or find another line of work. What is the other option here? I've been blessed with having run into some decent police officers who didn't feel it necessary to arrest and incarcerate me even tho I had marijuana on my person. But I was lucky (and in this case lucky to not be black). I have in the past been harassed by cops for no other reason than I had long hair and they thought it would be an easy arrest. I mean, we're talking about a period of time in L.A. when Darryl Gates waged war on "punks" and long hairs. As the song goes, "It's not my imagination, I got a gun at my back!" I was there for the riots, tho I didn't take part. I'd have preferred to see the rioting move to Beverly Hills, but police had road blocks set up to cordon off the "ghetto" in order to insure that it was the only place that burned down. It's why I laugh when people ask "why are they burning their own neighborhood?" The cops are out in full force keeping people from straying outside of their 'hood.

@Forensicwx I hold the police to a higher standard, and I'm surprised more people don't. They supposedly go thru a very rigorous screening/hiring process including a psych exam, a thorough background check, etc etc. They are trained (at least I hope to God they are) in the proper use of firearms, non-lethal ways of disarming people, and psychological ways of diffusing situations so they don't escalate to the point where violence is necessary. I expect that anyone failing at this task should be reprimanded, and when necessary, fired. Am I asking too much? I don't think I am.

My point is, I don't expect to never hear about cops using excessive force, using their position of power to take advantage of people, etc etc. But I DO expect to hear how those people were fired and when appropriate arrested and sentenced to prison. It's why I'm so fuckin' disappointed.

@Buffettgirl - You have been lucky, and likely gave the officers no reason to do anything else. Not everyone is as lucky as you. It doesn't always come down to what you say or do tho. I know from first-hand experience. I'm always courteous to police. They haven't always extended the same courteous to me. Sometimes it's tough to keep a straight face during a rousing round of Good Cop/Bad Cop. I manage, but it isn't always easy.

Dude, how old are you?
You believe most laws to be evil?
You got little anarchy A's on your jammies?
Did you really just ignore my entire statement?
:rolleyes:

Ok @mobiusclimber, all u did when u addressed me was prove my point even more. There are background checks. There are credit checks, criminal history checks, personal references needed, physical fitness tests, small arms training, learning state and county laws, rules and regulations, use of force training......ALL of these are required and you do not begin working, until you have completed that entire process. How are the powers that be supposed to predict that someone who passes all that has a chip on his shoulder? It's imposible. But that doesn't mean the rest of us that also go into a position of power because we're narcissistic, control hungry assholes.

It's the same way with a bank. You go in needing a loan, with a beautiful credit history, a nice debt to income ratio and a perfect credit card payment history past. U get that loan, lose your job the next day, and don't make a single payment. Is that the bank's fault for trusting you?

I notice you aren't mentioning the cops who are being criminally prosecuted for their split second decisions. The old man thinking he was using his taser? Then cop in SC arrested for what was obviously murder? Why aren't we acknowledging those?!

Lastly, I agree with @Macabre, your overall sweeping generalization about LE is absolute ignorance on your part. It wouldn't be fair to apply that word, ALL, to other professions, and just because your personal experience has been negative, doesn't mean that all cops are "working for the man" or "like soldiers" that take direct orders and rape and pillage.

I RESPECT that fact that many people have had bad experiences with cops, the same that you should RESPECT that your blanket statements are insulting to some.

@Macabre Nice way to engage in personal attacks. Twice. You can stop walking thru the forums swinging your e-peen around. No one's impressed with that little thing and, trust me, if the ladies haven't even touched it yet, you ain't getting any.

And btw, learn to fuckin' read. I never said "most." I said "many." There's actually a really big difference. Funny that you even quoted me and got the quote wrong.

Yes I did ignore you're statement. When you have something relevant and not-pathetic to say, I'll listen and respond.

What's sad is the way you guys just keep deflecting and misrepresenting what I'm saying so that you don't have to face the reality of it. I never said all cops were evil or anything like that. I never said all laws were evil. It just seems like you guys don't want to hold the police to any sort of standard, and I find that appalling. What do you think should happen when cops overstep their bounds, use excessive force, or abuse their power? Should we all just look the other way and hope it doesn't happen. Again. Let the cops police themselves because they've been doing such a crackerjack job of it so far? Seriously.

Back