• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

MadeaBecBec

Trusted Member
GarrettGower-BrittanyMunozdied.jpg

Garrett Cole Gower,20 DL photo
FLOWER MOUND – A 20-year-old Fort Worth man has been charged with capital murder in connection with the beating death of his 16-year-old girlfriend, who was about six weeks pregnant.

Flower Mound police Capt. Wess Griffin said detectives found and arrested Garrett Cole Gower at a Bedford mental health facility Friday afternoon.
Insanity defense???
Police believe that Gower "fled the area, turned off the cellphone and did not make contact with family" until Friday when checking into a psychiatric facility, according to an arrest warrant affidavit written by Denton County-based Texas Ranger Tracy Murphree, who is assisting police in the case.
According to the affidavit, Gower was at Brittany's family's apartment Monday evening to spend the night, which was common, her mother, Judith Munoz, told police. Gower apparently left because about 2 a.m. Tuesday, Brittany sent Gower a text message: "I'm texting your mom to make sure you get home and don't do anything stupid. I'm going to tell her I'm pregnant."

Sometime later that morning, Gower returned to Brittany's apartment. As Brittany's mother left for work at 6 a.m., she noticed him sleeping on the living room couch and Brittany nearby asleep on the floor.

Brittany's older sister, Crystal Munoz, entered the apartment about 10:15 that morning to get ready for work and saw Gower's jacket next to the television, but she did not go into Brittany's bedroom, the affidavit states.

Police say images from a neighbor's security camera reveal that Gower returned to his mother's house for about a minute, then left, all just before 11 a.m. that morning. Records reveal Gower turned off his cellphone about 11 a.m., the affidavit states.
It wasn't until 4:15 p.m. that Crystal Munoz returned to the apartment. She found Brittany dead in bed, lying on her back with the covers pulled up to her chin. She called 911.

Investigators say Brittany suffered blunt force trauma to the head. Glass was found on her face, in her hair and around the room.

"To my knowledge, the only sign of struggle was the broken glass in the bedroom," Griffin said.

She "appeared to have been drug up onto the bed after the glass had been broken," the affidavit stated.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...enslain_15met.ART.State.Edition2.4ba3437.html
I'm going to go search and see if I can find photos of Brittany Munoz. I suppose Garrett didn't want to be a father, shame that he didn't reason it all out.

According to the affidavit, Gower was at Brittany's family's apartment Monday evening to spend the night, which was common, her mother, Judith Munoz, told police.

He's 20, she's 16. Spending the night together was common? Am I the only one that finds this oh, so wrong?

RIP Brittany & baby.

What was this pretty thing doing with Captain Dork-o?! I mean, I like geeky fuckers myself but I'm no fucking prize!!

Fuck this guy.

You fuck a girl without protection (or common sense) and there's a good chance she'll get preggo. Figured at 20 years old, he should know that. Too bad he couldn't man up.

RIP Brittany

More and more parents are allowing this behavior (the boyfriend/girlfriend staying over) in their home. It sickens me that they would put their children (and until 18 these are children) in a position to get pregnant with basically condoning behaviors in their home...

The fact that he knew she was prego and he was on the couch while she slept on the floor speaks volumes about the relationship.

She was very beautiful and I am sure she will be sorely missed by her family and friends.

He's 20, she's 16. Spending the night together was common? Am I the only one that finds this oh, so wrong?

No you are not. What kind of idiot parent allows this? It's wrong and also illegal and for good reason.

And if the mother knew they were having sex why didn't she at least make sure her daughter did not get pregnant?

I know I should feel bad for this mom, but I can't help thinking that she was (more than a little) responsible.

Brittanys Obit

Munoz-BrittanykilledbyGarrettGower.jpg

Brittany Munoz, turned 16 in June
Brittany Michele Munoz, 16, of Flower Mound was taken from us Tuesday afternoon, Nov. 10, 2009.
Funeral: 10:30 a.m. Friday at Our Lady of Lebanon Maronite Catholic Church, 719 University Place, Lewisville, with Father Assaad El- Bacha, M.L.M., officiating. Interment: Flower Mound Cemetery. Visitation: 10 a.m. at the church.
Brittany was born in Bedford on June 13, 1993, to Judith and Rick Munoz.
Survivors: Parents, Judi Munoz of Flower Mound and Rick Munoz of Fort Worth; sisters, Elizabeth Hawbaker and her husband, Stan, of Flower Mound and Crystal Munoz of Flower Mound; brother, James Munoz of Fort Worth; grandparents, Barbara Robinson of Tecumesh, Okla., Dora DeLeon of Corpus Christi and Valintin DeLeon of Corpus Christi; two nieces; one nephew; numerous aunts and uncles; and many friends.
http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dfw/obituary.aspx?n=brittany-michele-munoz&pid=135866427

A jury has convicted a Fort Worth man of capital murder in the November killing of his pregnant 16-year-old girlfriend.

A judge in Denton on Wednesday then sentenced 21-year-old Garrett Gower to an automatic life prison term. Prosecutors did not seek the death penalty.

Investigators say Brittany Munoz was about six weeks pregnant when she was slain. A medical examiner ruled the cause of death was suffocation.

Prosecutors say Gower attacked Munoz when she had threatened to tell his mother that she was expecting the couple's child.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/7172223.html

This is so sad, so very tragic, all over threatening to tell his mother? christ, sounds like he will have a life time to think on it....rotting.

My deepest sympathies to family and friends. Rest in peace Brittany Muñoz and baby.
BrittanyMunoz.jpg

Last edited:
Back