• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Sarah Oropeza grabbed whatever she could find to break a window and save a toddler trapped in a sweltering car in Kansas as temperatures reached triple digits on Saturday, CBS affiliate KCTV reports.

Investigators said the windows to the car were shut and there was no parent or guardian for the child in sight. Oropeza is a manager at Famous Footwear, in Merriam, Kansas. She tells KCTV she was ringing up a customer when one of her co-workers, who was leaving, came running back inside the store screaming for help.

The windows were totally rolled up, all the doors were locked. She was covered in sweat," Oropeza told KCTV about the little girl trapped inside. "When I looked in the back window, she was covered in sweat. She had pulled her hair back and sweat was just dripping."

Oropeza said her employee opened her trunk to try and find something to break the driver's side window to get to the 2-year-old girl, but the window didn't crack. Oropeza recalled screaming for help that there is a baby in the car. Oropeza herself is a mother of two.

She told KCTV that another woman came with a screw driver to see if that could help, but again, the window did not break. Oropeza was not giving up though. She began whacking the window with a tire iron. She got it to crack. Then another woman came up with a truck hitch and threw it at the window. Oropeza said at least four women stepped up to try and help her get to the toddler.

"I was just praying, "Break the window. She is going to die," Oropeza said.

The entire ordeal only lasted about two to three minutes KCTV reports, but Oropeza said it felt like eternity. She believes the toddler may have been in the dangerously hot car for about 10 minutes.
[…]
"Her shoes were wet, her socks were wet. She was so drenched in sweat. I just started crying," Oropeza said.

Once rescued from the car the child was given medical attention by a nurse at the scene. An ambulance arrived and a police officer bought diapers for the toddler, because there was no diaper bag in the car. Paramedics checked the girl's vitals and she was later picked up by her godmother.

It is believed the couple that drove the child to the shopping area left her in the car while they were at a nearby cellphone store. Oropeza said they claimed the toddler was their niece. They came in the shoe store and asked to get the child back.

"No emotion at all, whatsoever. The only question they had for police was if insurance was going to pay to cover the window that we broke," Oropeza said.

Oropeza and an officer told the couple to leave the store. Police ticketed the couple for child endangerment, and the case is going to the Johnson County District Attorney.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/caught-...-window-to-rescue-toddler-trapped-in-hot-car/

I think it said they were aunt and uncle and the child was picked up from the parking lot by her godmother, nothing at all on the parents.

As an aunt and a godmother, a part of me hopes this was just stupidity on their part and now the mother knows not to trust them with her child. I don't want to think they did this on purpose.

The last time I went in a cell phone store I stood around waiting about 30 minutes for 1 of the 2 clerks that was working that day. How in the hell did they think they could get away with leaving that baby in the car? Two people walked away from the car with a 2 year old inside, Nawww they knew, they didn't want the trouble of chasing her while they got their phone fixed.

The last time I went in a cell phone store I stood around waiting about 30 minutes for 1 of the 2 clerks that was working that day. How in the hell did they think they could get away with leaving that baby in the car? Two people walked away from the car with a 2 year old inside, Nawww they knew, they didn't want the trouble of chasing her while they got their phone fixed.

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking... I know EVERY time I have to deal with a cell phone business that it ALWAYS takes at least 30-60 min.

They intentionally left the kid in the car, no question
I don't think they realized they were killing her
I think they just happen to be stupid beyond belief

Last edited:
They didn't both have to go into the damned store at the same time. Why not just take the child in with you. She'd probably entertain herself looking at all the pretty phones. It would be a cold day in hell before they'd ever be in charge of my kid again, but, of course, I hope I would've been a better judge of character.

They intentionally left the kid in the car, no question
I don't think they realized they were killing her
I think they just happen to be stupid beyond belief
it's kansas. what do you expect? (i live here and as a transplant, i can say it sucks.)

At the end of the video at the link the reporter tells of another set of kids, older, like 8-9 year olds left in a car in the same parking later the same day, granted this time the windows were down and the kids capable of leaving ,but still way too MFing hot in the car for anybody. I'll bet the adults wouldn't want to spend the time in the car, that should be their sentence, an hour in a hot car in the middle of a asphalt parking lot in the summer in Kansas. Only appropriate sentence there could be.

Leaving little kids alone like that out in public is dangerous enough on its own.

If she was sweating that much it seems she must have been well hydrated though, so it's not like the guardians were being COMPLETELY neglectful.

I moved to KS 5 years ago....We're moving BACK to Michigan the end of August. What an ass backwards place this is. I'm out.

??? Why not move somewhere good for a change?

I moved to KS 5 years ago....We're moving BACK to Michigan the end of August. What an ass backwards place this is. I'm out.
I've heard Michigan is actually quite beautiful, and I've always wanted to see it. How would you feel about adopting a Canadian?

I've heard Michigan is actually quite beautiful, and I've always wanted to see it. How would you feel about adopting a Canadian?

She doesn't need to. You can own a house in Detroit for like $200. Go get your dream!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/how-walmarts-new-car-seat-will-save-babies-lives-124839891187.html
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/how-walmarts-new-car-seat-will-save-babies-lives-124839891187.html
In the wake of yet another child tragically left locked alone inside a hot car — a 2-year-old in
Kansas, rescued Saturday by a group of strangers after her 23- year-old cousin admitted that “it just slipped [his] mind” that she was asleep in the back seat — Walmart announced Thursday that it’s releasing a first-of-its-kind car seat that sounds an alarm if the driver leaves an infant in the vehicle.

The Evenflo Advanced Embrace DLX Infant Car Seat with SensorSafe technology ($150 at Walmart.com) features a sensor on the harness’s chest clip that transmits a signal via Wi-Fi to a wireless receiver plugged into the car’s data port when the ignition is turned off. If the chest clip is not released after the ignition turns off, the clip projects a sound, described on the Today show as a “jingle” that reminds drivers there’s a child in the back seat.

When the harness is unclipped, the sound stops. The alarm also goes off if the chest clip is unbuckled midride. (The two-piece system doesn’t require Bluetooth, cellular or other devices, but the catch is it can work only in vehicles made after 2008.)

“This car seat will eliminate the chance of a baby being forgotten in a car,” Sarah McKinney, Walmart’s director of corporate communications, tells Yahoo Parenting. “Our hope is that no one would ever need the SensorSafe system, but the reality is that one child dies every nine days” from being left in a car.

“Every car on the market today sounds an alert to remind passengers to put on their seat belt,” she continues, “and we feel this similar type of reminder will help ensure children don’t suffer from vehicle heatstroke.”

And there is a grave need for such reminders. Earlier this month, an 11-month-old baby in Florida died after his parents left him alone inside a car to unload groceries and forgot he was in the vehicle. That death is the ninth vehicular heatstroke death in the U.S. since the start of 2015, according to the Florida Department of Highway Safety.

As Marques Anderson — the man who left his 2-year-old cousin in the car outside a mall in 90-degree heat this weekend — told KCTV, it was an accident. “It wasn’t on purpose,” said Anderson (charged Wednesday with felony child endangerment, along with his sister, whom he was talking to when the pair forgot the child and went shopping). “I hopped out of the car. We didn’t really think about it. It happened so quick. It was just a bad day.“

But with Evenflo’s new car seat, McKinney tells Yahoo Parenting, caregivers and parents have the opportunity to help prevent these tragedies from happening: “This extra feature could help save their child’s life.” Forgetting once, after all — as the charity Kars4Kids reminds us in its Hot Kar Challenge video — “is regretting forever.”

Last edited:
Michigan is beautiful. Fall and Winter are GORGEOUS. There's water everywhere...which I love.

Don't you love how these jackasses call it R-kansas instead of ark-in-saw?
no shit right?? the arkansas river goes through how many states? they seem to have no problem with ark-in-saw...you move to kansas and it is a whole different language. this state is more rebel flag than anywhere i have ever lived actually south of the mason-dixon, and never mind the fact that arkansas was a state before kansas EVER was. so yeah, fuck these idiots.

In the wake of yet another child tragically left locked alone inside a hot car — a 2-year-old in
Kansas, rescued Saturday by a group of strangers after her 23- year-old cousin admitted that “it just slipped [his] mind” that she was asleep in the back seat — Walmart announced Thursday that it’s releasing a first-of-its-kind car seat that sounds an alarm if the driver leaves an infant in the vehicle.

The Evenflo Advanced Embrace DLX Infant Car Seat with SensorSafe technology ($150 at Walmart.com) features a sensor on the harness’s chest clip that transmits a signal via Wi-Fi to a wireless receiver plugged into the car’s data port when the ignition is turned off. If the chest clip is not released after the ignition turns off, the clip projects a sound, described on the Today show as a “jingle” that reminds drivers there’s a child in the back seat.

When the harness is unclipped, the sound stops. The alarm also goes off if the chest clip is unbuckled midride. (The two-piece system doesn’t require Bluetooth, cellular or other devices, but the catch is it can work only in vehicles made after 2008.)

“This car seat will eliminate the chance of a baby being forgotten in a car,” Sarah McKinney, Walmart’s director of corporate communications, tells Yahoo Parenting. “Our hope is that no one would ever need the SensorSafe system, but the reality is that one child dies every nine days” from being left in a car.

“Every car on the market today sounds an alert to remind passengers to put on their seat belt,” she continues, “and we feel this similar type of reminder will help ensure children don’t suffer from vehicle heatstroke.”

And there is a grave need for such reminders. Earlier this month, an 11-month-old baby in Florida died after his parents left him alone inside a car to unload groceries and forgot he was in the vehicle. That death is the ninth vehicular heatstroke death in the U.S. since the start of 2015, according to the Florida Department of Highway Safety.

As Marques Anderson — the man who left his 2-year-old cousin in the car outside a mall in 90-degree heat this weekend — told KCTV, it was an accident. “It wasn’t on purpose,” said Anderson (charged Wednesday with felony child endangerment, along with his sister, whom he was talking to when the pair forgot the child and went shopping). “I hopped out of the car. We didn’t really think about it. It happened so quick. It was just a bad day.“

But with Evenflo’s new car seat, McKinney tells Yahoo Parenting, caregivers and parents have the opportunity to help prevent these tragedies from happening: “This extra feature could help save their child’s life.” Forgetting once, after all — as the charity Kars4Kids reminds us in its Hot Kar Challenge video — “is regretting forever.”
pfft...i hope Evenflo charges these dip-shits for copy-right. really. now you have cars that can figure out how to park for you, and now you have kid's seats that remind you that there is a kid. fuck the world, i so do not feel bad about having the idea that half the people i work with, or are in contact, are idiots from hell. *and i am supposed to care?*

Last edited:
this is bullshit or people are idiots or faking. i have done plenty of fucked things. leaving a child to swelter, nope. somehow i figured out how to not do that...

Why is it there's been such an explosion of deaths in the last 20 or so years. I can remember being left in cars in parking lots, there were about 4 of us, told if you get out of the car, I will beat your ass all the way back to the car, and she would have too.

But I guess part of the difference is that, at least, we could have the windows down and we weren't cooped in those hot confining baby seats. And (big AND here) we were not used to air conditioning at all, ever, not at home and definitely not in a car. When it was hot, and it gets hot in Georgia, always has, we were just hot, we fanned ourselves with a fancy plastic hand fan with the funeral home logo on it or not at all.

Our mothers, most of the time, were housewives, without an outside job and not as distracted or distractible. Dad's never took kids anywhere for the most part and usually mom was there to ride herd on the unruly hellions in the back seat, while dad just drove and yelled shut up, sit down, and stop kicking my seat, ocassionally. (Oh yeah, I forgot, get down outta that back window, I can't see)

I'm just having a few old lady moments, wondering why the world has changed so much in the last 40 years, the world is almost not recognizable as the same world as when I was a child. The 70's was definitely a game changer.

Back