• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Forensicwx

Final Roll Call 4153. STLCO 10-42 10/13 @ 1519
209ldtx.jpg

The Franklin County Sheriff's Office have charged Hope McVey Perdue with second-degree murder in connection to the death of a 3-year-old child that was in her care.

Deputies say at 3:56 a.m. Tuesday, May 12 David Perdue placed a 911 call from his home located in the 7000 block of Old Franklin Turnpike in reference to an unconscious child. Mr. Perdue advised that the child appeared to have been severely beaten

.....Rescue personnel arrived on the scene and determined that the child was not breathing.

Before law enforcement officers could arrive on the scene they say Hope Perdue, custodial guardian of the three year old boy, fled the scene on foot.

Deputies say they arrived on scene and began a search for Hope. Rescue squad members continued to attempt to revive the toddler. Despite their efforts, the child was pronounced dead at the scene.

Numerous law enforcement agencies were called to the scene and began a 12 hour manhunt for Hope Perdue.........She was located in a garage Tuesday at a residence on Byrds's Mill Road and taken into custody without incident.

The Sheriff's Office says Hope Perdue has been charged with second-degree murder as well as felony abuse and neglect of the three year old. She is being transferred to the Western Virginia Regional Jail where she will be held without bond.

http://www.wsls.com/story/29052295/...nd-degree-murder-in-death-of-3-year-old-child

WDBJ7 is learning new details into the murder investigation of 3-year-old Callen Lee Mullins.

Search warrants obtained by WDBJ7 describe what Hope and David Perdue were doing in Franklin County the night the child died.

According to court documents, David Perdue told investigators the two were smoking marijuana and drinking liquor.

The document states, "Perdue also stated that he and Hope smoked marijuana and drank mixed drinks containing Evan Williams liquor the evening before this incident happened."

David Perdue also told them Hope was the last person to hold Callen and that the child was "alive and injury free."

According to investigators, David Perdue made a 911 call around 4 a.m. Tuesday to report Callen's injuries.

http://m.wdbj7.com/news/local/only-...ng-the-night-callen-lee-mullins-died/33048384

I can't wrap my head around the facts of child abuse. I can't understand, comprehend, or even slightly put myself in this position. It is so foreign to me to think of ever striking a child in anger this way, and believe me, I have really good anger but never towards a child. I see children as sweet little sponges, wanting to learn everything, even when they're bratty, its expected and adorable or the parents fault..these people fight these babies as adults..How? Why? Never will understand this.

why was he in the care of a drunk pot smoking foster "parent" in the first place? what in the world did he do to piss the ugly bitch off. JC.

Wasn't quite as heartbroken until I saw his sweet little face. :(

I hope this miserable excuse for a human gets a massive dose of her own medicine.

Obituary for the poor lad and then a couple links to family and bio-mom comments.....Playing In Paradise always and forever now Callen Lee
http://www.roanoke.com/obituaries/m...cle_f167d867-13fd-5249-be28-e16e57e636be.html
Callen Lee Mullins, three year old son of Adam Mullins and Carol Bates, of Rocky Mount, Va., passed away tragically on Tuesday, May 12, 2015.

Callen always had a smile for everyone, never met a stranger, was full of energy, loved the outdoors and his precious cars. He was a big fan of Oreo cookies, "G's" flyswatter, and had a great love for all animals especially his dog, Little Bit, or better known to him as Damm Itt. Callen loved life as all little boys with a smile to brighten the dullest day and to the fullest. He is loved by so many and will be missed by all.

In addition to his parents, he is also survived by his loving brothers, Dylan Bates and Caden Mullins; grandparents, Gerald and Pat Mullins, Cheryl and Bobby Bailey; great-grandmother, Wanda Walters; uncles, Brett Mullins (Lisa), Ivis "Nathan" Prillaman Jr.; aunts, Christi Cook (Lee) and Courtney Prillaman; numerous cousins and other family members and friends

http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/f...cle_2eca5461-c3e2-5586-969e-3e4e4d8f6e16.html

http://www.roanoke.com/news/local/f...cle_755681e0-c1b0-5d88-a074-a90bc89d2c6f.html

EDIT: and the bitches mugshot from this incident

Last edited:
A Glade Hill woman who was accused last year of killing the 3-year-old boy she was caring for now faces a first-degree murder charge and the possibility of life in prison.

This new indictment was brought against Hope McVey Perdue, 29, by a Franklin County grand jury Monday.

Perdue initially was indicted last month on charges of felony child abuse and second-degree murder in the death of Callen Lee Mullins.

On Wednesday, Franklin County Commonwealth’s Attorney A.J. Dudley said he couldn’t comment on the amended charge and declined to say whether new or additional evidence was introduced during this week’s grand jury session.

First-degree murder in Virginia carries a penalty that ranges from 20 years to life in prison; the punishment for second-degree murder typically falls between five and 40 years.

Perdue was charged May 12 after emergency crews were called to her home by her husband, David Perdue.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/f...cle_d1476b55-e845-5c22-9acb-4e1c5cb5b015.html

Attorneys in a troubling Franklin County homicide case continued their debate Friday concerning access to the social services records of both the defendant and the victim.

Hope Perdue, 29, was charged nearly one year ago in the death of Callen Mullins, a 3-year-old boy who had been placed in the care of both her and her husband, David.

Deputies summoned by David Perdue arrived at the couple’s Old Franklin Turnpike home on May 12, 2015, to find Callen severely beaten. The boy later died of his injuries, and his younger brother, Caden, who was also in the Perdues’ care, showed signs of mistreatment as well, officials have said.

After police arrived at her house that night, Hope Perdue went missing for about 12 hours. She was later discovered hiding in a garage about a mile away.

In March, she was indicted on a charge of first-degree murder and also faces one count of child abuse with serious injury.

Since February, both sides in the case have wrangled over a defense request for three sets of filings within the Department of Social Services.

Those include Hope Perdue’s records from when she was a child in the foster care system, plus the foster care records for the Mullins brothers and the documentation behind their placement with the Perdues, as well as any related social services records created in the aftermath of Callen’s death.

At a motions hearing Friday in Franklin County Circuit Court, defense attorneys David Furrow and Brian Mangano, chief county prosecutor A.J. Dudley, and Carolyn Furrow, the lawyer acting on behalf of the Department of Social Services, agreed to the prospect of a hearing to review the use or restrictions of the files in question. David Furrow will enter an order for it this month, which will then be considered by Judge Clyde Perdue.

Friday’s hearing came less than two weeks after Judge Perdue on April 25 granted Social Services’ earlier motion to quash the defense subpoenas seeking access to the files. On Monday, defense attorneys filed a motion asking him to reconsider or clarify his decision.

A key point of the debate is whether the department, by conducting an investigation, has become a party to the action, a standing that could make it immune to a subpoena.

Dudley called the debate a matter of “confidentiality versus materiality” and said the issues at hand could have repercussions for commonwealth’s attorney’s offices across the state.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/f...cle_88ba6952-3ee9-5243-86bd-42435a069419.html

All these setbacks and continuations and motions are bullshit. This woman needs to finally be put on trial so that everyone can find out the details surrounding Callen's brutal death.

I'm assuming the defense isn't gonna try the "it wasn't me" defense. And the request for her records from when she was in the syste makes me suspect they are going after after an emotional, she was abused too, tried to do the right thing but was triggered...or something along those lines.

Those include Hope Perdue’s records from when she was a child in the foster care system,
Oh let me guess- she was an abused foster care child, so therefore it's totally understandable that she'd grow up to be an abusive foster care mother!?
Defense Fail!!:mad:

She only had the babies for the check!!! all the abusive pos foster parents are only there for the check! Most likely the check she got probably was used to buy the liquor and weed she consumed.... SMH
Why arent foster "parents" backround checked or screened

My 8 year old would make a better foster mother than most of them!!

She needs to die! RIP to that little boy

http://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/f...cle_9db79ebb-2834-521c-bca4-3806233f92ae.html
Less than a month before it was due to be heard by a Franklin County jury, Hope McVey Perdue’s long-in-the-works first-degree murder trial has hit another delay, and it could be delayed until next year.

Perdue, now 31, was charged more than two years ago, in May 2015, in the blunt force trauma death of 3-year-old Callen Mullins, whom she and her husband, David Perdue, had been caring for at their home in Glade Hill.

The case was set for a five-day trial, to start Aug. 14, but last week her lawyers sought and were granted a continuance to allow them more time to find a neuropsychiatrist who can appear as an expert witness.

[...]
Furrow told the judge at the July 20 hearing that he is still evaluating potential neuropsychiatrists and their availability with regard to trial dates.

Previous hearings in the case, both last month and last year, have grown contentious after Furrow’s requests for access to records within the Department of Social Services, files regarding both Perdue’s history in the system and those of Callen and Caden Mullins.

jfc

"We spent the past year finding the perfect neuropsychiatrist for this case. Dr Soandso, can you confirm that drinking alcohol, smoking marijuana, and having a past history of abuse could cause someone to abuse their own beloved child?"

"It's possible, yes."

"Thank you, doctor. No further questions."

Her defense is not important. She acted as an irresponsible foster parent, she took the life of a child entrusted to her care, who really gives a fuck about WHY or WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN? Just sentence her and be done with it.

While it is absolutely ridiculous that she has not gone to trial yet, i am happy that she is locked up. All the babies she would have access to are safe from her.

Mar 9, 2018

Bearing both a stern gaze and quietly spilled tears on her cheeks, Hope McVey Perdue struck a surprise agreement with Franklin County prosecutors early Friday afternoon, entering an Alford plea to a reduced charge of second-degree murder.

It was a move that came just 10 days before the Glade Hill woman was due to stand trial for first-degree murder in the 2015 death of 3-year-old Callen Mullins. Callen and his brother Caden were in the temporary custody of both Perdue and her then-husband when the child was found dead in May 2015.

Perdue, 31, was given a 40-year sentence, with that time to be suspended after she serves 20 years in prison. As part of her agreement, prosecutors dropped both the higher murder charge as well as one count of child abuse.

Continue reading at link
https://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/...cle_6ede7919-520b-53ba-a3e8-a662f3dfb503.html

Post automatically merged:

Last edited:
The boy’s mother, Carol Bates, has said that a temporary guardianship agreement had been established through a judge in Franklin County between Bates and the Perdues for medical reasons.
https://www.roanoke.com/news/crime/...cle_7078c98d-565a-5ba5-a3cc-f9dbda6bef3a.html

At the time or the article she kept in touch with the husband.

They have divorced and there currently is no information on appeals or lawsuits.

https://www.wsls.com/video/exclusive-callen-mullins-mother-talks-about-losing-son-hope-purdue

Last edited:
While it is absolutely ridiculous that she has not gone to trial yet, i am happy that she is locked up. All the babies she would have access to are safe from her.
Maybe she hadnt gone to trial yet for a reason.. Consider your own ignorance

jfc

"We spent the past year finding the perfect neuropsychiatrist for this case. Dr Soandso, can you confirm that drinking alcohol, smoking marijuana, and having a past history of abuse could cause someone to abuse their own beloved child?"

"It's possible, yes."

"Thank you, doctor. No further questions."

Her defense is not important. She acted as an irresponsible foster parent, she took the life of a child entrusted to her care, who really gives a fuck about WHY or WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN? Just sentence her and be done with it.
You people dont know the first thing about any of this. Why is it so hard to keep your mouth shut

That's gangsta... And creative... I love it
No. This is fucking sick. Awesome your both sicker than who your shit talking. Right on idiots

Last edited:
You people dont know the first thing about any of this.
I know she entered a plea under the Alford Doctrine, whereby she asserted innocence while conceding the state had sufficient evidence to bring in a conviction. As a result, the public will not get to see that evidence. And since she pled out to a charge of second-degree murder, the state was able to find enough evidence that she intended to kill young Master Callen.

Change my mind.

--Al

wowza > this happened in 2015 Reading back stories or even finding, all the stories - is not a treat. Confusing as F*ck, to get straight info . He was and was not foster child , lost in the paper work? I read where the bio mom comes out at funeral I give her a minus, neg zero -- Then look at all the mug shots of the perp What is with these people that smile , for their mug shot? It not a Selfie, stupid humes ....She aging fast . TO bad she just does not go rot My compost pile, is to good for her remains - She wld give it cooties
I scratch my head at Asynner ----- Sick, is what we do Sorry, i should be more eloquent here and polite > Sick, is what I do

Maybe she hadnt gone to trial yet for a reason.. Consider your own ignorance

LOL. What does this even mean? I said it was ridiculous for the trial to be postponed--TRUE STATEMENT. Also, that i was happy she has not had access to other children. Clearly, they are not safe around her--EXTRA TRUE STATEMENT!!!

Your comment was stupid.

Obviously, she hadn't gone to trial yet because her atty was working out a deal with the Prosecutor. A deal which she eventually agreed to and entered a guilty plea.

Last edited:
I know she entered a plea under the Alford Doctrine, whereby she asserted innocence while conceding the state had sufficient evidence to bring in a conviction. As a result, the public will not get to see that evidence. And since she pled out to a charge of second-degree murder, the state was able to find enough evidence that she intended to kill young Master Callen.

Change my mind.

--Al
Deal.. Or I will give it a go. But in reality can it actually be changed? That's not me being an ass, it's an honest question.

Okay.. Your right about the plea except you failed to mention that they were going to fight it. The fact that she took the plea came out of no where. Also in some reports you can fins where her lawyer said that it was due to his urging. He also said that he was convinced of her innocence but he could not bare to gamble a life sentence in a case that was mostly no evidence vs no evidence.

You stated that now the evidence wouldnt be known but it had all been discussed before. The whole prosecution's case was centered on the fact that she.. "Fled the scene." In defense of that action.. Actually sorry I misspoke, it's not defense but explanation rather. And I'm thinking y'all know the story. She was abused as a child. Also I saw above where someone said, weed + alcohol + history of abuse = becoming an abuser. Its too much to go into here but obviously blanket statements are scary business.
If you imagine (with an open mind) for a second that she didnt kill him, she woke up and this boy she was trying to save was beaten to death but in his bed oddly. Other kids are there. Ptsd and all that? It is possible she just blanked out. Of numbed. She actually didn't "run" in the way that in all those 12 hours she was a few miles if that up the road. At her uncle's old house. Also not speaking of doing anything. Just blanked out reportedly, that's why there was no resisting like you would normally see from someone fleeing.

I said trying to save because after seeing the neglect and to him and his brother she asked for and received from social services the custody.

Her now ex husband only talked after being granted immunity.
After the divorce was through he remarried within the year. An ex erotic dancer that he had known since before the ordeal.

.. I might not have changed your mind but it should at least give You pause. Also honestly thanks for the oppurtunity to speak her case. Sorry I was just insulting before.. Well I'm nkt sorry over the lighter fluid thing.. Cause what?

Back