• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2017/08/flint_councilman_pawned_city_l.html
FLINT, MI - A Flint city councilman pawned his city-issued laptop for a $100 loan nine times over the course of two years, police say.

Flint police swore out a single misdemeanor warrant against First Ward Councilman Eric Mays over the allegations Wednesday, Aug. 23, before Genesee County District Judge William H. Crawford II.

In court, police said the city councilman began pawning his laptop to Music Man Pawnshop - located across the street from Flint City Hall - on Jan. 15, 2015.
[....]
After Mays failed to reclaim the laptop from the shop on May 3 - the last day of his loan - the computer was technically owned by the shop, police said.

However, Music Man's owner told officers that he allowed customers a grace period to renew their loans or reclaim their property with interest, and Mays bought the laptop back for $116 on May 23, police said in court.

The charges come three months after an investigation was launched into whether crimes were committed when Mays allegedly pawned the city-issued computer.
[....]
Police began investigating the case in late May after Ninth Ward Councilman Scott Kincaid filed a criminal complaint with the department after learning Music Man Pawnshop -- located within one block of Flint City Hall -- had taken in the laptop issued to Mays.

Mays previously called Kincaid's complaint a "political allegation," as he and his fellow councilman are often at odds. Kincaid previously said his concern in the matter is the "misuse of taxpayer-funded equipment."

"Kincaid is out here making political allegations, but I pray and hope that there are no criminal charges," Mays previously said. "I will say, where is (the laptop) safer? There or City Hall? City Hall has had break-ins. Other than that, I have no further comment."
[....]
The police department's internal affairs division - a division assigned both criminal and non-criminal allegations against Flint city employees relating to their official positions - spearheaded the investigation into the allegedly pawned computer.

Mays has neither confirmed nor denied to The Journal that he used the city's computer as collateral at the pawn shop, but said the city of Flint has "fallen on hard times."

However, other publications reported that Mays admitted to pawning the equipment.

"I don't think it's criminal," Mays told FlintBeat.com regarding the allegations. "It just shows I'm poor."

Mays has said since that he has the laptop back in his possession.
-1e4126c75e532c96.JPG

Well, the best way to keep your political enemies from making allegations against you is to not do anything wrong!!

Back