• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
2myc3uo.jpg

Jeffery Allan Klein, who claims his weight won't allow him to go to court, is accused of calling in a bomb threat to a Cedar Springs, Mich., mobile home park in 2012.​
A 625-pound felon has been putting off judgment by claiming he’s too fat to appear before a Michigan court, but even his own mother reportedly doesn’t believe it.

Diane Klein says her son, Jeffery Allan Klein, has been to prison before and doesn’t want to go back.
[...]
she didn’t hold back when it came down to describing her 44-year-old son.

“He is a con man,” Klein told
[...]
The man served time in Michigan and Florida for prior crimes. Then in 2012, he was arrested after police tracked a fake bomb threat against a Cedar Springs mobile home park to his own home. But Klein’s case has yet to be concluded.

Klein admitted to calling in the bomb threat in an interview
[..]
and said he wanted the case to be over, but that his health problems were punishment enough.

“I am living in my own prison system,” Klein told
[...]
in a phone interview. “I am suffering.”

Klein has managed to skip several hearings at Kent County District Court by falling ill at the last minute and has sent several doctors' notes to the court claiming he suffers from diabetes, back pain and a lung disease — all because he is extremely obese
[...]
His attorney, Damian Nunzio, claims it would cost too much, about $2000 to $3,000, just to move Klein. If he was convicted, he'd get at least 10 years in prison, and his weight would be a challenge for corrections staff.

At this point, Judge Dennis Leiber jsays he ust wants the case to end.

“This case is exceedingly old and involves a defendant who is exceedingly large,”
[..]
“This simply cannot continue.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/felon-claims-fat-michigan-court-article-1.1888488

fine then take all food from house and deliver 3 smart meals a day
and make him pay for that
then once he loses weight make him appear in court

The fat bastard can't even get out of bed much less detonate a bomb, I say they make him walk 100 feet a day for a year as punishment.

His attorney, Damian Nunzio, claims it would cost too much, about $2000 to $3,000, just to move Klein. If he was convicted, he'd get at least 10 years in prison, and his weight would be a challenge for corrections staff.

So... being incredibly obese is now a criminal defense?

Who is buying his food for him? They need to cut it way back. The judge should put someone in charge of him and declare him mentally and physically incapable of caring for himself. It's obvious he needs help.

2myc3uo.jpg

Jeffery Allan Klein, who claims his weight won't allow him to go to court, is accused of calling in a bomb threat to a Cedar Springs, Mich., mobile home park in 2012.​
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/felon-claims-fat-michigan-court-article-1.1888488

fine then take all food from house and deliver 3 smart meals a day
and make him pay for that
then once he loses weight make him appear in court

See there? Now, that's good problem-solving. You should send that recommendation to the judge. :)

Argh. Honestly people. MAYBE it's not food making him fat.
Just looking at him makes me wonder if he has Familial Mediterranean Fever. However, what the Hell do I know?
Yes, I realize that MAYBE food is an issue, but what if it isn't?

Just looking at him makes me wonder if he has Familial Mediterranean Fever. However, what the Hell do I know?

You make a valid point. Without any med. history or first person statements, we don't know anything re: the "whys" of his weight gain.

I dont give a rats ass whats making him fat to be honest
he committed many crimes not just this one and that excuse shouldnt get him out of paying for what he has done
disease or eating its no excuse either way
man enough to commit the crime then man up and do the time!!!

I have a feeling he's trying to pull the weight card as a set up for, "I'm too fat to go to prison for 5 years for Terroristic Threat," hoping he can weasel out on video court appearances & House Arrest instead of prison. Sorry, Charlie. Accomodations are made for the morbidly obese in lots of facilities all the time. It falls under Disability housing. Why wouldn't they make accomodations for court? o_O

At my next missed court hearing (hoping never); I'm going to try to claim chronic laziness. Chronic makes me lazy. Seems to sound medically logical. . . . Chronic is prescribed and taken as directed. Side effect: Immobility further than kitchen and /or yard of home. . . . Do you think this is credible? I could still get sentenced for whatever and just do home monitoring, just like the morbidly obese. . . .hey, would you look at that, a solution. . . . . lol

Thanks @gatekeeper. . . just seen ur post a second too late. . looks like we were thinking the same more less, at same time. . lol

Lol! Yep, posting at the same time, too. Hey, let me know how that Chronic Laziness angle works if ya ever need to use it. I'm mulling around Intermittent Fatigue and Raging Bitch Disorder due to Perimenopausal Symptomology. X-D

I'm perplexed by this case. Had the court system decided he was too large I would agree. Him trying to use it as a defense, makes me want to call bs. I'd want to know his weight in 2012 when he did time. His lawyer says it "would" cost a few grand to move him, yet there he is right there in that pic. He would be a nightmare in a prison, but he'd b in a med wing and become @gatekeeper's worst nightmare.

Aside from his attempt to use it as a defense, it's a good question. How large is too large for prison?

I'm perplexed by this case. Had the court system decided he was too large I would agree. Him trying to use it as a defense, makes me want to call bs. I'd want to know his weight in 2012 when he did time. His lawyer says it "would" cost a few grand to move him, yet there he is right there in that pic. He would be a nightmare in a prison, but he'd b in a med wing and become @gatekeeper's worst nightmare.

Aside from his attempt to use it as a defense, it's a good question. How large is too large for prison?

That is NO lie, lol! Truthfully, though, the only major problem he'd have besides being inconvenienced would be the fact he'd be fed the same amount of calories any other inmate gets - 2500 cal./day. If he's got commissary cash, you already *know* he'd be running them out of junk food for sure. But, if he's diabetic (which is likely), his calorie count drops to 2200 cal./day including his bedtime snack. While most inmates gain weight, he'd probably lose for a month or two b/c of the commissary limit, then plateau for a couple months, and so on. Between the "gourmet" chow, :vomit: and the cal. restrictions, he would be one *growly* SOB from jump :vamp::vamp::vamp:.

I don't know about other facilities, but I'd assign a nurse to him in his plan of care, not for special treatment *at* all, but b/c @ that weight, he qualifies for a Disability rating which means he needs help with showering and wheelchair transfers if he truly can't walk. Lots of ppl try to lie their asses off about that, but here they ask family, friends, and neighbors, and the DA's office will assign a Special Duty officer to do video surveillance on him :spy:.

As for your great question, the answer is...*drumroll, please*...I really dunno. Our biggest boy was an avg. 650lbs., but his weight would go +/- 20lbs. due to fluids/swelling. My guess would be a judge would have to rule on the premise that when a morbidly obese person is of such a weight s/he is, or becomes unable (not unwilling, just unable) to be maintained in jail/prison without compromise to their health and basic quality of life, other arrangements for incarceration must be made. It's just a guess, but it sounds like a reasonable compromise. I'm sure there's precedent on a case by case basis already set somewhere.

I did see a documentary on a case some others may have seen on TLC (?) where the 900lb.-ish lb. woman "confessed" to rolling over on her 2 y.o.'s nephew's head, squashing him to death. She would have had to have had a special court order for incarceration, but bless her sweet, sad heart, she finally admitted her fucking, rotten, cruel BITCH of a sister had threatened her into that bullshit story b/c she'd beat her kid to death and busted his skull open inside his head. And, the stupid breeder had something like four other kids besides the toddler. The innocent sister said she did it b/c her sister 'threatened to dump her' and, 'her life was already over anyway.' *sniff* :(

Great question. Think I'll some googling. :bookworm:

What the fuck ever. Convict him in absentia and then send the Marshalls with a cattle truck to haul his ass to prison. They can get him in through the loading docks.

Short & sweet, @Forensicwx commented: "How large is too large for prison?"

Actually, it's pretty slim pickens on actual rulings here in the U.S., but an Ohio judge in 2012 did rule that a convict was too large for prison. The U.K. drew the line at a convict who weighed 43 stone/602 lbs. Either criminals at this weight are pretty rare, or sentencing them to prison isn't a major problem.

Here's a couple more rulings on the issue:
http://www.conservativeactionalerts.com/2014/03/too-fat-to-go-to-jail/

Look around. 600+ is still not common, but it is not so uncommon as to be shocking anymore. There are people in prison with all kinds of health problems. It's usually only the patients who are terminal that are given suspended sentences or probation for compassionate reasons. But they still go to trial and get convicted.

I'm sorry but medical conditions, i.e. inflammation alone will not make someone weigh 600+ lbs. That requires a hell of a lot of calorie intake to gain and maintain that weight. He ate himself into disability and is using it as an excuse. He is an addict and food is his drug. We can't start excusing criminals due to weight issues.

In prison he would be separated from his precious bucket loads of junk food and possibly be forced to (gasp) move off his ass for a few hours a day! Damn this guys pisses me off. I just want to throat punch his stupid, fat, smug face.

On a different note, I feel sorry for the CO that has to delouse this guy. Do they still do that? I can't imagine how.

*carries podium to the center of the Michigan State Senate floor* There ya go, @Britefutr , don't be nervous. *adjusts her mike and hands her her post copy* Just read! :)

Back