• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
Former world boxing champion Eamonn Magee has been convicted of beating up a woman in a north Belfast flat.

The 43-year-old, of Eskdale Gardens in Belfast, had repeatedly denied the assault.

Belfast Magistrates' Court heard Magee had dragged Louise Mullan to the ground by her hair before kicking and hitting her.

The victim said the "no-warning" attack happened during a drinking session at a friend's apartment in July 2014.

Denying the allegations, the defendant instead claimed Mullan, a nursing home worker, had punched him 10 times.

The judge, however, said he did "not believe a word" he had heard from Magee, and told the court the boxer had given a "completely incredible version of events where he would have me believe he was somehow sparring with the victim".

Under cross-examination, she denied that she had been "a bit lairy" and struck Magee first, knowing his status as former world champion boxer.

"Could you picture me wanting to punch a boxer?" she told the court.

Magee, known as The Terminator during a professional career that saw him capture the WBU welterweight title, said the violence had not come from him.

He said: "Why would I do that to a woman? It's not in my genes, come on."

The boxer told the court that Mrs Mullan could "fight like a man" and claimed she had hit him with a right-left-right combination as he tried to restrain her.

However, convicting Magee of common assault, the judge said the boxer had given "a performance so far removed from the truth that I put no weight in it whatsoever".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30991576

Former world boxing champion Eamonn Magee has won an appeal against being found guilty of beating up a woman.

The 44-year-old had been facing a four-month jail sentence for assaulting Louise Mullan in July last year.

But his conviction was overturned on Wednesday after she failed to turn up for a re-arranged appeal hearing.

Ms Mullan previously accused Mr Magee of launching a no-warning attack during a late-night drinking session at a friend's apartment in north Belfast.

Belfast County Court heard on Wednesday that the appeal hearing has already been adjourned twice - once because of the bereavement and another occasion when the witness did not attend.

Prosecution counsel confirmed on Wednesday that Ms Mullan was again not present, having "forgotten" about the case.

His application for a further adjournment was resisted by a defence barrister.

The defence barrister said: "The appellant has been having to deal with this case hanging over his head for a significant period of time, and also had to deal with a personal tragedy in his life.

"This case has now run its course."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-33889603

I've punched my husband in the face before...He retaliated with a hard ... if i don't squeeze you and hug you like this right now I will fucking kill you...type of embrace. I'm pretty sure if he hit me back his fist would go through my face...he isn't no boxer but he isn't a small man either.

I've punched my husband in the face before...He retaliated with a hard ... if i don't squeeze you and hug you like this right now I will fucking kill you...type of embrace. I'm pretty sure if he hit me back his fist would go through my face...he isn't no boxer but he isn't a small man either.

The 44-year-old had been facing a four-month jail sentence for assaulting Louise Mullan in July last year.

hahah why even bother appealing it?

I'm glad he won the appeal though. Hard to tell simply from reading an article, but it seemed like the judge didn't give his defense any consideration whatsoever from the getgo. Not too fair. Didn't see what was so implausable about it myself.

hug you like this right now I will fucking kill you...type of embrace.

Surprised anyone would hug you any other way.

I'm pretty sure if he hit me back his fist would go through my face..

If only huh

Hard to tell simply from reading an article, but it seemed like the judge didn't give his defense any consideration whatsoever from the getgo. Not too fair. Didn't see what was so implausable about it myself.

I get the impression the woman might be of the opinion that he has suffered enough recently (through the death of his son) and decided it was not worth any more of her time to put him away for only four months, anyway. Who knows?

Back