• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...olice_inaction_caused.html#incart_river_index
magic-the-dogjpg-5001a5af4287f16b.jpg

tamala-bemis-f98114beb2100112.jpg

A Eugene woman arrested on a warrant about 3 a.m. on a city street pleaded with officers to take care of her dog, trapped in her car nearby.

She urged Eugene officers to contact her brother and remove the dog from the vehicle as the windows were up and the dog, a Red Heeler, had no food or water.

The woman, taken into custody on an identity theft allegation, was released 17 days later. She found her car parked on the dead-end street where she had left it, and her dog Magic dead inside.

Now Tamala Bemis, 47, is suing the Eugene police in federal court, alleging deprivation of her constitutional rights.

Exhibit 1 is the police in-car video that captured about 40 minutes of the woman telling officers repeatedly about her dog, the location and make of her car. She, though, couldn't provide a phone number or contact information for her brother.
[....]
"That Magic died in such a cruel fashion, alone without water, and in extreme heat, haunts her to this very day,'' Price wrote in the federal lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Eugene.

Bemis was charged with identity theft in October 2015 and later pleaded guilty. She was released 17 days later.

It should, it was her who put the dog in that position to die.
I guess you could look at it that way.
The officers are pieces of garbage.
It would have taken 1 minute or less to radio dispatch and have animal control pick the dog up on a police impound.
That dog suffered horrible.

What a minute! She was arrested in the early hours on Wednesday October 5. That's means she would have had an initial hearing around 9am at the morning docket in which she had numerous chances to tell not just the police officers, but the bailiffs, the judge, her lawyer, not to mention her family that she could have called, hell even an inmate could have helped her because they are not all inhuman shitbags. The temperature in Eugene, Or on that day ranged for 32 to 72 degrees, with a mean of 52. You telling me in all that time she couldn't get someone to get her dog out? I'm calling bullshit.

What I believe happen was she initially told the cops about the dog, but later either she thought, or someone told her in lock-up, that if she does not say a word and the dogs dies she could sue for emotional distress and her constitutional rights for some big bucks, which is why she is suing in Federal Court and not in an Oregon State Court.

What a minute! She was arrested in the early hours on Wednesday October 5. That's means she would have had an initial hearing around 9am at the morning docket in which she had numerous chances to tell not just the police officers, but the bailiffs, the judge, her lawyer, not to mention her family that she could have called, hell even an inmate could have helped her because they are not all inhuman shitbags. The temperature in Eugene, Or on that day ranged for 32 to 72 degrees, with a mean of 52. You telling me in all that time she couldn't get someone to get her dog out? I'm calling bullshit.

What I believe happen was she initially told the cops about the dog, but later either she thought, or someone told her in lock-up, that if she does not say a word and the dogs dies she could sue for emotional distress and her constitutional rights for some big bucks, which is why she is suing in Federal Court and not in an Oregon State Court.
I could see that. Or maybe she thought they got the dog out already

How did she know she needed to because the officers were supposed to have the dog impounded when they arrested her.
. Exhibit 1 is the police in-car video that captured about 40 minutes of the woman telling officers repeatedly about her dog, the location and make of her car.

Last edited:
She was stopped while walking down a sidewalk and her car was parked away in some alley. 2 reasons not to impound the car, the first it wasn't used in a commission of a crime and she was not in her possession at the time of her arrest. I'm not saying the officers didn't do their due diligence, but I'm not buying her story.

I wonder if this woman has mental issues or drugs problems that interfere with her credibility. I know a bipolar man who tells so many stories, most of them untrue, when he finally does tell the truth, no one believes him.
It's hard to believe there wasn't somebody, a jail chaplain, Service League, some acquaintances who wouldn't have helped her dog. She asked them to contact her brother but could not provide contact information.
This sounds like a woman who has used up all her coupons and a lot of brain cells too.

Last edited:
She was stopped while walking down a sidewalk and her car was parked away in some alley. 2 reasons not to impound the car, the first it wasn't used in a commission of a crime and she was not in her possession at the time of her arrest. I'm not saying the officers didn't do their due diligence, but I'm not buying her story.
I wonder if this woman has mental issues or drugs problems that interfere with her credibility. I know a bipolar man who tells so many stories, most of them untrue, when he finally does tell the truth, no one believes him.
It's hard to believe there wasn't somebody, a jail chaplain, Service League, some acquaintances who wouldn't have helped her dog. She asked them to contact her brother but could not provide contact information.
This sounds like a woman who has used up all her coupons and a lot of brain cells too.
Quoting the original article
. Exhibit 1 is the police in-car video that captured about 40 minutes of the woman telling officers repeatedly about her dog, the location and make of her car.
Her request to get her dog from the car was on the dash cam.
No need to look for the brother or a chaplain, the officers were supposed to radio for animal control.

No need to look for the brother or a chaplain, the officers were supposed to radio for animal control.
I agree the officer's could have done better, but she still had many avenues to get her dog help and she did not do her do diligence herself. She's the one who locked the dog in a car (which I think all here will agree you don't fucking do in the first place), she's the one with a warrant out on her arrest, she's the one that left the dog without food or water, she's the one that didn't call for a friend or family to get the dog or anyone else beyond the police officers. Now she wants a payday for the situation she herself put her dog in. I don't think we should reward people for bad behavior or wrong choices they make.

I agree the officer's could have done better, but she still had many avenues to get her dog help and she did not do her do diligence herself. She's the one who locked the dog in a car (which I think all here will agree you don't fucking do in the first place), she's the one with a warrant out on her arrest, she's the one that left the dog without food or water, she's the one that didn't call for a friend or family to get the dog or anyone else beyond the police officers. Now she wants a payday for the situation she herself put her dog in. I don't think we should reward people for bad behavior or wrong choices they make.
You have missed the point that the officer had a duty to do his/her job.
All the things you say she should have done one can assume are unnecessary because society has taught us that the guy with the gun, handcuffs, citation book and the power to take you to jail will do his job. He/ she had a job to contact animal control and have to dog impounded.

You have missed the point that the officer had a duty to do his/her job.
All the things you say she should have done one can assume are unnecessary because society has taught us that the guy with the gun, handcuffs, citation book and the power to take you to jail will do his job. He/ she had a job to contact animal control and have to dog impounded.
Then reprimand the officers. Why should the woman who, on purpose, locked her dog in a car be rewarded with millions of dollars?

Then reprimand the officers. Why should the woman who, on purpose, locked her dog in a car be rewarded with millions of dollars?
I would be satisfied with that. But si far, I have seen no mention of that.
So her only way of being heard is to file a lawsuit.

Just so you know, when someone is homeless, their car (if they have one) is the only place they have to contain their dog and personal belongings. Her dog was put in the car at night when it was safe to do so. Upon her arrest, her concerns were for her dog. That's why she asked them repeatedly to do something.

Don't be jelly because this homeless criminal might get some money.
That is a side issue. I can't help but wonder if you would feel differently if she wasn't homeless and a criminal.
Keep in mind, at the time if her arrest, she was still an innocent person suspected of a crime.
To top it all off, the dog wasn't a criminal. That dog shouldn't have suffered.

I would be satisfied with that. But si far, I have seen no mention of that.
So her only way of being heard is to file a lawsuit.
Why would we see if they were, this story and the lawsuit only tells that she is suing and showing that the police were reprimanded the officers were be detrimental to her case. Also, she's homeless? I was unaware she was homeless, but I didn't know that gave people a pass to lock dogs in cars. As for a making money, I do have a problem she might get some money paid for by the taxpayers for a situation of her own making. If she was homeless and can't properly take care her dog, what is she doing with one? Any suffering of the dog came for the decisions made by the woman. I think the only fair solution is to reprimand the officers and award the original offer of $700 offered by department.

Last edited:
That is a side issue. I can't help but wonder if you would feel differently if she wasn't homeless and a criminal.
To top it all off, the dog wasn't a criminal. That dog shouldn't have suffered.
I do keep that in mind because it's main point of the article.
What I do know is after 17 days in jail she was unable to get a single person to help her dog.
Aside from the 40 minutes on police dash cam. What about the next few days in jail,?
Why couldn't she get a single person interested in her abandoned dog? How hard did she try?
I'm looking at this from the point of view of the law
We all agree that the police screwed up, but did the police officers break a law?
If any money is awarded, it should go to animal rescue, not to her.
Screw her and her messed up life that let her dog die.
And that was a hell of a dead end street that no one ever looked in the car or heard the dog barking.

Last edited:
Back