• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Utah couple to be charged in death of 4-year-old boy

Authorities expect to charge couple with aggravated murder, other charges
(CNN) -Utah prosecutors announced Friday that they expect to file murder charges against the mother and stepfather of a 4-year-old boy whose disfigured body was found this week in a canyon near Salt Lake City, Utah.
Local police said Ethan Sloop's body was buried in a shallow grave after he had been severely beaten, according to CNN affiliate KUTV.
Nathan Sloop, 31, and Stephanie Sloop, 27, are being held without bail at a Davis County, Utah, jail. Davis County prosecutor Troy Rawlings said local authorities expect to charge the couple with aggravated murder, child abuse, obstruction of justice and the desecration of a dead body.
If convicted, they could both face the death penalty.
Authorities delayed an expected filing of charges on Friday, Rawlings said, because "we don't want to make any mistake in our charging decision."
But "make no mistake: We intend to file formal charges with the court once the evidence we need to substantiate the crimes ... is obtained and submitted and processed."
Rawlings said he anticipated that charges would be filed in the "not too distant future."
Ethan's father, Joe Stacy, was required by a divorce settlement to send him to spend the summer with his mother, KUTV reported. Joe Stacy and Stephanie Sloop were officially divorced April 28.
Ethan arrived in Utah on May 1. He was locked in his bedroom while the Sloops were married May 6, according to court documents reviewed by KUTV. Ethan, who had been beaten by this time, died three days later at the couple's home in Layton, KUTV reported.
[...]
"It's like a nightmare come true," Brenda James, a friend of Joe Stacy's, told KUTV. "I believe that [Nathan Sloop] does not deserve to take another breath."
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/05/14/Utah.murder.charges/index.html?section=cnn_latest

Mother of slain, disfigured Utah boy might face murder charges
FARMINGTON, Utah — Prosecutors in Utah said Friday they may file murder charges against the mother of a 4-year-old boy whose body was found in a canyon earlier this week.
Searchers dug up Ethan Stacy's badly beaten and disfigured body Tuesday, about 10 days after he arrived in Utah for a summer visit with his mother, Stephanie Sloop, 27.
Davis County Attorney Troy Rawlings said Sloop and her husband, Nathanael Sloop, 31, will likely be charged with aggravated murder in the boy's death. Before Friday, the possibility of murder charges had only been discussed for Nathanael Sloop.
"We're looking at aggravated murder — both defendants are suspects at this point," Rawlings said.
Police said Stephanie Sloop initially told officers her son had wandered away from her Layton apartment.
But probable cause statements said Nathanael Sloop acknowledged beating the boy for days before his death on Sunday and Stephanie Sloop did nothing to stop it. After the boy died, Nathanael Stoop used a hammer to disfigure the boy's face and teeth to keep him from being identified, then buried the body in a canyon, according to the documents.
The Sloops may also be charged with felony child abuse, obstruction of justice and desecration of a corpse, Rawlings said.
At a court hearing Friday, both separately agreed to waive their right to be bailed out of jail until at least their next court appearance on May 28.
Nathanael Sloop kept his head low and wept softly during his court appearance. Stephanie Sloop appeared withdrawn and showed no visible emotion during the twin hearings that together lasted less than 15 minutes. Earlier, Nathanael Sloop's court-appointed attorney, Todd Utzinger, would not discuss specifics of the case or possible charges. He said he met with both Sloops Friday morning at the Davis County Jail and advised them to stop talking to detectives.
[...]
Prosecutors are waiting to file charges because there is the potential for the death penalty.

"We're not going to file charges before all of our ducks are in a row and we're ready to go, but we intend to get there," Rawlings said.

The 2nd District Court hearing in Farmington drew about two dozen members of the advocacy group Bikers Against Child Abuse and many other people unconnected to the case.
"That boy didn't get mercy. They shouldn't get mercy," said August Teuscher, 32, a mother of four from Clinton, who stood in the courthouse holding a hand-drawn sign condemning the Sloops. "They should be tortured."
Public defenders for the Sloops said the couple had received hundreds of requests for visits from reporters and strangers while in jail. Judge David M. Connors signed an order prohibiting anyone from trying to visit the Sloops.
Utah State Courts records show that between 2000 and 2003, Nathanael Sloop had several convictions, including for criminal mischief, disorderly conduct and drug possession. No criminal history was found for Stephanie Sloop.
Ethan's biological father, Joe G. Stacy of Tazewell, Va., agreed to share custody of the boy on April 28 so he would spend the school year with his father and summers with his mother.
http://www.twincities.com/news/ci_15088753?source=rss&nclick_check=1

Couldn't resist.
HE thinks he's scared. imagine how terrified little Ethan was.

had i been the judge as he asked to see his momma, i would have flipped him off and said oh so wickedly, "who's crying now, baby killer!" ...yeah, i could never be a judge.
a3779b6c.jpg

Last edited:
This is one of the most horrendous cases I've read.... and I am still left pondering WHY these dumb fucks WANTED little Ethan to come and stay for the Summer??? Was this the plan the whole time. Perhaps to not pay child support?? To punish the ex.

Breaks my heart.

i want to see stephanie sloop cry in agony knowing that she lost her child because of her own stupidity. i want to see the moment of clarity hit her, and i want to laugh at her while she weeps.
tell me about love stephanie, i really want to understand your side of this. really. what is it about this man that you let him torture your son and kill him, while you did nothing. was it the smile he brought to your face (while he put feces in your son's mouth)? was it his bad-boy side (ghost? sorry, if you name your personalities, you are stupid and sick, not insane). stephanie, you are a waste of a uterus, and a waste of oxygen. please die soon.:dong:

Last edited:
But probable cause statements said Nathanael Sloop acknowledged beating the boy for days before his death on Sunday and Stephanie Sloop did nothing to stop it. After the boy died, Nathanael Stoop used a hammer to disfigure the boy's face and teeth to keep him from being identified, then buried the body in a canyon, according to the documents.

Obviously I can't imagine causing my childs death.... but if my child did pass.... I don't know that I could ever let go of my little one. They would need to forcibly remove her from me. I would want to hold her forever.

To think they further hurt this little angel after his passing ... I need to hug my own 4 year old ....

After the boy died, Nathanael Stoop used a hammer to disfigure the boy's face and teeth to keep him from being identified, then buried the body in a canyon, according to the documents.

Horribly morbid thought here, but it's haunting me and making me feel sick.

The sound. The sound of a hammer crushing that beautiful little face.

yep Lizard, that's my thoughts too.

It is beyond any reasonable thinking that someone could kill a child... THEN go find a hammer and smash his precious little face.

SICKENING

Great pictures. They are very different from the wedding site photos, aren't they? These two are not looking so cocky and pretty without their duds and makeup, and getting a very little sleep. How funny big "bad boy" wants his mommy and is crying like a baby about it. Awww! How sweet. Makes me want to hit him upside the head with a baseball bat.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see the bitch will be getting charged with murder as well. I have no doubt she took part in some of the abuse and if nothing else, she did nothing to stop and was willing to burn her own child to delay idenfication. I have a hard time believing Nate did all the injuries to Ethan. Especially seeing how he's such a crybaby in court. I hope the inmates put their soaps in towels and proceed to do a free for all beatdown.

"Every little Angel lost brings us one step closer to Hell, with no Angel counting greater than another." ~unknown

Sleep well, Little Angel. Rest ligthly on your daddy's shoulders; he will need you now more than ever.

What happened to his right ear in this picture?

ETA: According to a friend on his FB page, he used to do that to his own ear just to be goofy. That just makes it sadder...he seemed like such a vibrant child.

Last edited:
Liz this has torn me up also and I think alot of people and I know its b/c I dont like to think there is such evil out there
The hammer attack did me in
I also could hear and see in my head no matter how much I tried to block it out you cant
I dont care if anyones a parent or not,anyone with ANY contact with kids will fall apart with this story
I honestly cant get over how similar Robert Manwill case is to this

Thias is a super long 5 page article from the hometown and the Memorial for Ethan so Ill post a bit and the link
Thousands mourn Ethan Stacy's death
Layton > > Sherry Durst didn't know Ethan Stacy -- few in Utah did. But Saturday, she felt drawn to his memorial near the apartment where his short life brutally ended.

"I come out here every day, just to see," Durst, 44, of Syracuse, said. "You have to feel it. If you have a heart, you have to feel this."

Davis County prosecutors claim the 4-year-old boy died May 9 following four days of abuse by his stepfather and mother. He had recently arrived in Utah to spend the summer with his mother as part of a child custody agreement.

His death has struck a chord in thousands of people. By Saturday, three Facebook pages dedicated to his case had a combined total of nearly 32,000 fans. Davis County attorneys have been flooded with e-mails offering both sympathy for Ethan's family and demanding swift justice for the crime.

The abuse started May 5, when 31-year-old Nathan Sloop dealt a brutal beating to the boy's head and face, according to police documents. Ethan's 27-year-old mother Stephanie Sloop did nothing to stop the beating, and might have had a substantial hand in the abuse, prosecutors said Friday. The couple married one day after the beating, locking the injured boy in a bedroom and going to the Davis County Memorial Courthouse.

Ethan got no medical attention and suffered further abuse, including burns to his feet and legs, before his death, police said. After he died, the couple allegedly disfigured
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_15094513?source=rss

I just mailed a check to Ethan's funeral fund this morning, I got a couple of my friends to donate too. I know it is only a small gesture, but I felt a bit comforted to think that maybe we could help this grieving family even just a little.

Usually in these kinds of stories I find some satisfaction in reading other's posts about the cruel and unusual ways we could punish the baby killers, but it's not working for me this time. I think, like many of us here, I feel very helpless.

I hope everyone will do what they can for Ethan's dad and family- whether it is donating to the memorial fund, or sending our prayers. I hope that it will bring Ethan's dad some peace to know how much we all care for him. Rest peacefully Angel Ethan.

I hope to God that The judge that led this little lamb to his slaughter is out of a job next election. Not only did she ignore Ethan's father's warnings, but she made that fucking statement. His blood is on her robes.

Ethan certainly looked just like his daddy. Must make it even harder for his dad's family. :(

And this is the pic that got me. Knowing Ethan had to look at this crazy eye motherfucker as he died :(

4vk7b6.jpg

B.A.C.A. members give their take on this pustule

For the record, I love B.A.C.A. I would be willing to get a bike if it meant I could join.

Several members of B.A.C.A. a biker organization that lends support for victims of child abuse, attended the hearing as well.

They weren’t surprised by what they saw inside the courtroom.

“It was apparent by his (Nathan Sloop) character with his head down throughout the court hearing that this is exactly what 99.9% if not 100% of these child abusers are, they're down right cowards,â€￾ said a member of B.A.C.A. who goes by the name of Ish.

Prosecutors aren't ruling out the death penalty if there's evidence of aggravated murder.

And for some that's the kind of justice they want.
"To be honest with you and eye for an eye,â€￾ said Sandi Turner another member of B.A.C.A. “But no matter what it is it won't be enough."

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/to...op-hearing/CQIcyuUjkk-lbrk3KSwBLw.cspx?rss=20

As I said before, I hope this is a case where both of them face the DP. I'm sick of seeing cases where a mother ignores or particpates in the beating and murder of her child and gets LWOP or less (sometimes only probation)while the penis gets death.
Sorry, this bitch had a hand in the injuries inflincted to her child. She admitted she made his gums bleed,and left him locked in a closet with massive injuries while she eloped with the POS stepdad. More to the point, she was willing to desecrate her child's body so she wouldn't be arrested. She deserves the needle right along with her POS penis.

She deserves the needle right along with her POS penis.

I respectfully disagree. Have you ever seen an animal put to sleep? If it is done correctly, it is quick, gentle, and after the needle prick, painless. And then their suffering is over. I want the people to die a long, slow, barbaric death. I want their faces beaten in with a hammer while still conscious. Because we can always find more baby killers, but there was only one little Ethan.

I respectfully disagree. Have you ever seen an animal put to sleep? If it is done correctly, it is quick, gentle, and after the needle prick, painless. And then their suffering is over. I want the people to die a long, slow, barbaric death. I want their faces beaten in with a hammer while still conscious. Because we can always find more baby killers, but there was only one little Ethan.

Who's to say they can't poke around a few times first? Finding those veins can be sooo hard to do....

I just mailed a check to Ethan's funeral fund this morning, I got a couple of my friends to donate too. I know it is only a small gesture, but I felt a bit comforted to think that maybe we could help this grieving family even just a little.

Usually in these kinds of stories I find some satisfaction in reading other's posts about the cruel and unusual ways we could punish the baby killers, but it's not working for me this time. I think, like many of us here, I feel very helpless.

I hope everyone will do what they can for Ethan's dad and family- whether it is donating to the memorial fund, or sending our prayers. I hope that it will bring Ethan's dad some peace to know how much we all care for him. Rest peacefully Angel Ethan.

Wonderful mommyx3! I think even the smallest of donations is not just about the money but the gesture of kindness during a very dark time. Me along with some fellow care2.com folks are sending a small donation too. I agree it's the feeling of helplessness, you just want to do something, just about anything to help.

Amber Navarre Llewellyn can hardly recognize Stephanie Sloop, a woman she once knew as a friend.
"I knew her very well, and I never thought something like this would come from her. She doesn't even look like the same person I knew," said Llewellyn, of Fort Benning, Ga. "It kills me to look at pictures. I'm angry. I'm hurt. I'm heartbroken."

She spent barbecues and vacations with 4-year-old Ethan Stacy, and baby-sat him when he was an infant. On Thursday night, she heard the terrible news that Ethan was dead after four days of abuse by his mother, Stephanie, 27, and her new husband, Nathan Sloop, 31.
"I thought, 'This is fake, this is not for real,'" Llewellyn said. "I remember talking to her before she went and picked him up about how excited she was to get him."
When Llewellyn met Stephanie Sloop in 2005, she was pregnant with Ethan and married to Joe Stacy. Both of their husbands were stationed at Hunter Army Airfield outside Savannah, Ga. and they became close friends.
Ethan was a sweet, talkative boy, Llewellyn said, remembering how he made funny faces by pushing in the top and bottom of his ears.
"Ethan was very loving, he loved hugs, and he was a funny kid. He would make you laugh just being himself," she said. "He was always happy, and he loved his daddy."
Ethan's mother seemed to love him too, she said.
"She took care of him. He loved her. I thought that he was her pride and joy, I really
did," she said. "I never saw her spank Ethan, never saw her raise her voice at Ethan."
Still, Stephanie Stacy had another side. She could be vindictive when she felt wronged and always want more money, and was a "compulsive liar." Stephanie Sloop told her she planned on keeping Ethan "for good" after taking him back to Utah. The Stacys moved from Georgia to Florida about a year and half ago, and she lost touch with Stephanie. Then, last year, Stephanie left Joe and Ethan and moved to Las Vegas, according to Llewellyn and divorce papers. In October, Stephanie re-connected with Nathan Sloop, with whom she had gone to high school, the couple wrote on a wedding page on theknot.com. The posting has since been removed.
Stephanie reconnected with Llewellyn on Facebook after Nathan and Stephanie got together.

"I think she completely changed when she got with Nathan," she said. They seemed "obsessed" with each other, she said. Stephanie often wrote online that she had found her soul mate, that her life was complete. They planned their wedding for July 4, and she had an expensive dress from Nathan's mother, Llewellyn said.
Then, on May 6, her relationship status on Facebook suddenly changed to "married," Llewellyn said.
According to police, Nathan and Stephanie Sloop went to the old Davis County memorial courthouse to wed the day after Nathan dealt Ethan a brutal beating. They locked him in a bedroom, according to arrest documents, so people would not see his injuries.
"The day she got married to Nathan, she put on her updated status 'married,' and something to the effect of being so happy she was finally Mrs. Nathan Sloop," Llewellyn said. "She seemed excited. In the midst of this, while I was writing 'congratulations,' he was in a bedroom dying. It just makes me sick to my stomach."
The Sloops allegedly disfigured the boy's face before burying him near Power Mountain ski resort. They reported him missing, but later admitted the location of his body, police said. Both are now being held without bail on suspicion of aggravated murder, and could face the death penalty.
The alleged crime has had ripples of despair through the group who knew the family in Georgia, Llewellyn said. She finds herself thinking about Ethan and the abuse he suffered, and wishing Joe Stacy will find some kind of comfort for his loss.
She remembered a night she and her husband watched Ethan, just before she became pregnant with her own daughter.
[...]
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_15099438?source=rss

Mmmm, Shelby's Law!!! Thanks Representative Ray!

If it is capital murder, the death penalty could be one of the sentences.

The 2006 murder case of Shelby Andrews in Syracuse caused lawmakers to change the law so parents and adults who abuse children and cause their death can be charged of capital murder.
The law now includes a provision allowing prosecutors to charge anyone who recklessly causes a child's death through physical abuse to be charged with capital murder. That offense carries the death penalty, life without parole in prison or 20 years to life in prison with the possibility of parole.
Additional evidence has pointed that Stephanie Sloop could be charged with aggravated murder, but because of rules of ethical conduct, he cannot discuss what that evidence is.
http://www.standard.net/topics/etha...-make-court-appearance-formal-charges-pending
Representative Paul Ray was so outraged by Shelby Andrews' death, he got a bill passed the very next year.

Shelby's law now makes it easier for Utah child killers to get the death penalty.

Friday, Representative Ray told ABC 4,

"I don't want taxpayers paying $32,000 dollars a year to house this guy for the rest of his life and so it's come down simply to he's better off being removed from the gene pool."

Ray is saddened and stunned Shelby's law now has to be used just 3 years later.

While it does help punish killers, he knows it can't bring back their victims.
And this is a great idea;
Ray says he is now thinking about another bill for next year's legislature.

One that would limit the number of appeals condemned killers can file.
http://www.abc4.com/content/news/to...an-for-the-Sloops/83CF6xw0VECGOsaTyHQjBA.cspx

I like the idea of LIFE in prison without parole, more so, because then these two will have to struggle (possibly fight) for their survival there, in general population and then die knowing somewhat the torture that Ethan suffered and everytime they close their eyes, the nightmare of Ethans death comes over them!

Almost forgot...

Sloopslops Moms Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1397207203

A cousins facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1735857234&v=wall
Good Morning. I would like to ask for prayers for my cousins that live in Utah. There little boy that is 4 1/2 years old. His name is Ethan , he has wondered off from there apartment and they have not found him yet. It is not great weather there and they need alot of prayers that god would keep him safe until they find him.
May 11 at 10:25am
It is with great sadness to inform you that yeaterday Ethan was found around 5 pm. I please ask every one to continue to pray for our family in this horrify time.May 12 at 9:43am
I'll keep looking....

Comments from the page of a relative (?) Matthew Sloop. May 12 status:
I'm thankful for a GOD who is greater than I can imagine! I'm thankful for a GOD who loves deeper than I can fathom! I'm thankful for my GOD's Grace, because all of us don't get what we deserve! Thank you JESUS for paying for my sins on that Cross!
Commenter 1:
We prayed for your family this morning at our monthly "Christ in Real Estate" study Matthew, and I also sent a request to another couple of prayer groups. As I woke up burdened for Nathan this morning, the Lord put Saul of Tarsus on my mind. I'm praying for a road to Damascus experience for Nathan. His greatest impact for the Lord could well ... See Morestill be in front of him. God is in the resurrection and renewal business, and there's nothing He didn't already die for. Who are we to not believe that He can do ANYTHING??!!
Commenter 2:
Laurie, I don't know you, but I've known Nathan since he was six years old. I've had many, long, deep conversations with Nathan over the past months and I just wanted you to know that he told me he is, "A Saul turned Paul." I agree with you that his greatest impact for the Lord is yet to come...my life verse for him that I pray over him everyday is Phil 1:6, "being confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ."
Commenter 1:
When did he tell you this, Sandy? Very interesting. "Lord, we thank You, by faith, for hearing and answering our prayers for Nathan."

Back