• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...assenger-throws-coins-engine-luck-delays-take
[....]
Passengers boarding the flight reportedly saw an elderly woman throwing coins at the engine for “blessings” from the middle of the boarding staircase and alerted the crew.

Ground staff said the woman, who appeared to be about 80 and had limited mobility, was accompanied by her husband, daughter and son-in-law.

After maintenance crew inspected the aircraft, they found nine coins in one engine.

The captain was quoted as saying the metal, if sucked up by the engine, could have caused serious damage, including failure.
[....]
China Southern Airlines told reporters that passengers were reminded to comply with civil aviation laws and regulations, which prohibit behaviour that could jeopardise the safety of the flight.

Mainland air travellers have been responsible for several safety incidents in recent years, including opening emergency doors and assaulting cabin crew. Beijing has responded by creating a tourist black list, with offenders banned from travel.

OK, this is crazy, but also kind of funny to me.

How in the hell was this entire family in a position to get down on the tarmac and close enough to the plane for an old ass lady with limited mobility to throw coins into the damned engine?!?

Is there just no airport security in other countries? I'll admit my flight experience is limited, but generally you enter the cabin from an enclosed catwalk, and you're definitely not able to get down on the ground and fuck with the plane.

What if it had been a grenade instead of a handful of coins? :eek:

Some places take passengers to the plane on a bus and they will then climb an airstair to board. I would imagine this was something like that.

--Al

I can tell you that getting shit out of an engine is an incredible pain in the ass. I've seen mechanics drop tools, washers, bolts and just about whatever else. We had a guy slice his hand open on an engine blade once. They had to use a bore-scope to find all the pieces of flesh and bone.

What a fucking moron.

OK, this is crazy, but also kind of funny to me.

How in the hell was this entire family in a position to get down on the tarmac and close enough to the plane for an old ass lady with limited mobility to throw coins into the damned engine?!?

Is there just no airport security in other countries? I'll admit my flight experience is limited, but generally you enter the cabin from an enclosed catwalk, and you're definitely not able to get down on the ground and fuck with the plane.

What if it had been a grenade instead of a handful of coins? :eek:
They were on the boarding stairs.

Like a wishing well only different.

Ive been close enough when boarding to have tossed things in. Depends on the type of plane and the way the airport is structured.

This fucking idiot should have been charged with a crime. I refuse to believe anyone would be unaware of the immense damage this would cause.

The "could have caused" serious damage is a load of shit too. It definitely WOULD have caused damage. Shit woulda been wrecked.

Then again, it is China, where the overwhelming majority of the population has never attended school and has lived in poverty and squalor their entire lives. This may have been the first time this woman had ever even seen a plane. I suppose i can give her a pass if she's mentally impaired, but then Chinese culture on the whole takes the brunt of my disdain and factual and rightful bashing. What a worthless fucking country.

Hate china all you want.
You wouldnt even have accesd to the internet without china making all the bits and pieces for what ever device you are using.

Ill never bash em for the sweat shop slave labor that benefits American consumers. Some third worlds are good for the world that actually matters(Merca).

Damn good buffets too.

Back