• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

CbabyRKO

Trumperdink Mussolini
A Northern Arizona University freshman has been arrested after killing a fellow student and injuring three of the victim's fraternity brothers in an early morning campus shooting.

Flagstaff Police Chief Greg Fowler identified the shooter as freshman Steven Jones, 18, and the victim as fellow student Colin Brough.

Fowler says that the fatal shooting broke out after members of two 'student groups' got into a confrontation in a parking lot outside Mountain View Hall - the campus' all-Greek dorm where the majority of the school's fraternity and sorority members live.

When the fight turned physical, Fowler says Jones pulled out a handgun and shot Brough, a member of the fraternity Delta Chi, to death.

Brough's fraternity brothers Nicholas Prato, Kyle Zientek and Nicholas Piring were also injured, after reportedly tackling the gunman to the ground.

It's still not known what sparked the fight.

Jones was subdued as officers arrived at the scene at 1:20am. They were able to take Jones into custody and he has reportedly been cooperating with police.

One witness told the Arizona Daily Sun that the shooter opened fire as a party was ending in the parking lot outside the dorm.

'We had just left a party and were standing in the street getting ready to walk home when a guy walked up with a pistol and just started shooting,' the witness said.

'I heard five or six shots and then my friends just tackled him. They got him really quick. We were leaving and it all happened on the sidewalk across from Mountain View.'

'He didn't get a chance to hurt himself. I saw him in handcuffs when the cops came.'

The three others who were injured in the shooting were taken to a nearby hospital to be treated for their injuries. Their conditions are not currently known, but Fowler says that they all suffered multiple gunshot wounds.

Fowler described the victims and shooter as members of two student organizations, but would not officially confirm whether those organizations were fraternities.

However, the national office of Delta Chi fraternity confirmed the Washington Post that some of its members were 'involved' in the shooting, but said it 'was not a chapter related incident'.

Student Maria Gonzalez was awake when the shooting happened, and says she first suspected the gunfire was just firecrackers.

'I was studying for an exam so I looked out the window and see two people running, and that's when I realized they weren't fireworks they were actually gunshots,' she said.

Students were notified of the shooting through a text message alert system, but because of a glitch - most students never got the first warning of the shooting and were only notified later once Jones was in custody.

NAU freshman Mackenzie Cutrone told the New York Daily News: 'That’s what’s absolutely crazy. The only way I found out about all of this was because of Twitter and Yik Yak.'

NAU President Rita Cheng also spoke at the morning press conference, describing the tragic shooting at 'isolated and unprecedented'.

However, she said that classes would go on.

'This is not going to be a normal day at NAU,' she said. 'Our hearts are heavy.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-dead-3-wounded-university-shooting-Ariz.html

It should be law not to release these assholes names, to make sure these guys don't get any of the attention they're wanting. The folks that need to know, know already, the rest of us, have no need to know.

Won't never happen, but it would be nice, tho.

A man charged with a deadly shooting at Northern Arizona University has settled a negligence lawsuit against him and his parents.

Steven Jones has said he acted in self-defense when he fatally shot 20-year-old Colin Brough and wounded three others on the Flagstaff campus in 2015. Prosecutors said Jones was the aggressor.

Nicholas Piring, Kyle Zientek and Nicholas Prato were wounded. None of the victims was armed.

The lawsuit filed on behalf of Brough’s parents, Piring and Prato alleged that Jones was immature, prone to outbursts, disrespected authority and never should have been allowed to have a handgun. It sought damages for the emotional and physical toll on the victims and for medical and other expenses.

Jones was punched in the face after he and two pledges from his fraternity rang the doorbell of an apartment and ran away as a prank. He then retrieved a .40-caliber handgun from his car, authorities said.

The civil case was short-lived, being dismissed about five months after it was filed in late June. Attorneys on both sides declined to comment on the settlement this week, saying the terms are confidential.

Each side is responsible for its own attorneys’ fees, according to court documents.

He's fucked.

Arizona has the "reasonable man [sic]" doctrine, in which the jurors determine whether a normally rational person would have apprehended a threat sufficient to cause that person to respond with deadly force. And I don't see where deadly force was necessary.

He got to his car and unlocked it then entered it and removed the handgun from the glove box, charging the chamber as he did. That takes two hands. Then he exited the vehicle and approached his purported assailants instead of locking himself in the vehicle.

None of that is a reasonable response.

If he had been using one hand to fight off assailants? If he had stood his ground and told his alleged assailants to back off or he would fire? It might be a different story. If he hadn't fired warning shots? A different story. But he wasn't and he didn't and he did, and that will get him convicted.

--Al

Latest posts

Back