• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Jaded

Staff member
A $22 million lawsuit has been filed against the Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) on behalf of the little boy who nearly starved to death in Snohomish County.

2nqd5dk.jpg

Shayne Abegg was rescued by firefighters last March from the family’s apartment in Lynnwood.

The 4-year-old weighed just 25 pounds, which is what a 14-month-old baby should weigh.

His father, Danny Abegg, and his girlfriend, Marilea Mitchell are both serving 8 year sentences in prison for starving Shayne as a form of punishment.

Shayne’s attorney, David P. Moody of Hagens, Berman, Sobol, Shapiro law firm says state social workers didn’t properly investigate a string of warnings that the little boy was in deep trouble.

Shayne Abegg is currently living with relatives in the area. He has gained weight and is doing better, although medical professionals obtained by his attorneys have determined he suffers from cognitive delays due to a prolonged lack of hydration and nutrition.

DSHS also tells us that soon after Shane was rescued, the agency instituted mandatory training to help social workers recognize children who are malnourished. That training is for all social workers in Snohomish, Skagit, Whatcom and San Juan counties.

http://www.nwcn.com/statenews/washi...WAB_dshs_lawsuit_starved_boy_JM.958b2d1a.html

When I first read about this little guy and seen his pictures on the news, I cried for days. There is a bit more to this story then what was mentioned in this article. DSHS was called numerous times on this boy's family...social workers responded numerous times and had to have seen his condition. One social worker blamed the calls on a 'nosy neighbor with a grudge' and recommended that Abegg's just move out of the apt. complex. I truly hope they win this lawsuit. I hope that Shane can recover from this completely and I hope he never has to lay eyes on those shitheads again. :mad:

DSHS also tells us that soon after Shane was rescued, the agency instituted mandatory training to help social workers recognize children who are malnourished. That training is for all social workers in Snohomish, Skagit, Whatcom and San Juan counties.

Training? Like what? Opening your eyes and looking?! It's friggin' common sense what a four-year-old should look like. Even people who know nothing about children would look at that boy and know something was wrong. I hope he gets every cent.

Training? Like what? Opening your eyes and looking?! It's friggin' common sense what a four-year-old should look like. Even people who know nothing about children would look at that boy and know something was wrong. I hope he gets every cent.

Exactly!! I think it should just be part of the job qualifications ya know? Another qualification should be....I don't know.....common fuckin sense?!?! I guess vision would be a plus too.

The shitheads that did nothing to help this child should be sitting right along side his parents.

The picture...so very sad. I am so sorry little guy. What did he do? Try to steal food from the kitchen?
Fucking ass parents and SS.
Malnourishment training? Fucking hello, open your fucking eyes.

Another tragedy. Poor little guy. I hope he gets every penny, of course the lawyer will take his cut. What is that a standard 1/3 of the amount received?

DSS sucks to high hell. :mad:

I don't know how I missed this write up. Woo living in Lynnwood...ick I can't say I am surprised. One of my neighbors is a social worker, she's one of the best too! Even she'll tell you so many people who should be locked away get away with really horrible shit. If no one saw this boy was in some serious trouble they need to say screw training and start firing and finding new staff, for Christ sake how could you not see the danger this kid was in (sorry to be redundant but it just boggles my mind)?

I'm glad that he won but until he's of age what's going to happen to him? After everything he's been through he really needs a stable, loving and PERMANENT home. He needs people who understand what he's lived through who are willing to work with everything that's ahead for him.

I'd take him in a heart beat. I just can't understand starving a child or anything else for that matter. How could you bear to eat and not feed your children?

I feel so sorry for these children who, by chance were given wastes of air and space as parents. My family was far from perfect and considered poor but we were taken care of. My mother was exceptional in her duties and my father loved to say 'you don't have to be hungry to eat'. (which is why I am a BBW today...lol) I never knew so many children were suffering until I started reading the crime blogs and D'D has become my favorite. This is a good thing going on here, keep up the good work!

i can safely say from experience, CYS (which is our children and youth services) have no concept of what a real problem is, they spend their time screwing with families that don't need the intervention, and neglect the ones that do. its almost like they took applicants off the street, or out of a mental hospital, did no screening or training and threw them out there. i hate these bureaucratic agencies!

Exactly!! They couldn't see?? My 7 month old granddaughter weighs more than that!! Holy crow, that picture just put me to my knee's crying. I want him! I will love him and take care of him and spoil him rotten.

How? How could anyone let alone a parent do that? And how freaking stupid or uncaring do you have to be to not SEE it and DO something about it?!

Oh my God, I want to get my hands on every adult that hurt him or failed him and make them pay!!!

Since this article is almost year old, I wondered what became of the case:
A lawsuit over the near-fatal starving of an Everett boy has been settled for $6 million, with much of that money to be paid by the state of Washington.

The settlement reached on behalf of Shayne Abegg, 6, is the largest the state Department of Social and Health Services has ever agreed to pay for a single child victim.

[...]
David P. Moody, Shayne's Seattle lawyer, alleged state caseworkers failed to protect the boy despite numerous warnings the boy was being abused and neglected. DSHS workers didn't adequately investigate reports that Shayne was being starved.

A state Department of Social and Health Services review of the boy's case concluded that the state missed a pattern of abuse and neglect, didn't follow policy to make sure Shayne was safe and failed to hold his father, his girlfriend and the boy's mother more accountable for the boy's well-being.

Some social workers involved in Shayne's case have since resigned.

DSHS also has made changes to address the issues found in the state-ordered review, including taking steps to make sure more experienced supervisors oversee these types of cases and social workers get training to help recognize the signs of malnutrition. The state has reconfigured some staff to decrease caseloads.

Doctors believe Shayne will suffer from long-term developmental and cognitive problems as a result of his trauma. Any money awarded to Shayne would be put in a trust fund that will be monitored by the court.
http://heraldnet.com/article/20090324/NEWS01/703249735

i can safely say from experience, CYS (which is our children and youth services) have no concept of what a real problem is, they spend their time screwing with families that don't need the intervention, and neglect the ones that do. its almost like they took applicants off the street, or out of a mental hospital, did no screening or training and threw them out there. i hate these bureaucratic agencies!

I see this problem in Wisconsin as well. A friend of mine daughter was diagnosed with "failure to thrive" by their medical doctor. When this beautiful little girl went to preschool at age 3, the staff called Human Services and filed a complaint. HS was up their asses, even after a discussion with their doctor. This little girl would do ok for awhile and then not too well, so she would have a feeding tube. HS was in their lives for 2 years. Even after she was doing well and finally gaining some weight and growing taller, they were all over them.

I think each state needs to take a look at their policies and they all need revamped.

Back