• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Great post DS , but I get the impression that they want to test the off duty cop's blood. Of course ours would have been tested already and the results splayed out on the nightly news, but these are cops, and certainly other cops wouldn't want to embarrass them.

The article is just trying -so hard- to make that police officer sound like an awesome dude.

I'd assume that they couldn't test the driver on the spot on account of him being dead. Law may require them to get a warrant in order to test the body for its blood alcohol content. Seems more likely then them trying to protect anybody.

""We were all young once and I'm sure we've all done stupid things in our life," said Linden Police Chief James Schulhafer. "But that being said, because this is an ongoing investigation, it would be way too premature to speculate on what caused this accident.""

I'd venture to guess driving the wrong fucking way had something to do with it.

"Rodriguez didn't seem angry at the driver, saying that "it doesn't matter if the driver was drinking because accidents happen.""

Not to mention you son had to of known whether the driver had been boozed up or not. He willingly became a passenger of a drunken driver(if the driver was drunk at least).

""The 3 of us, are decent people. There's a decent woman out there for each of us. Sure it's cool to be single every now and then, but I don't give a damn what ANYONE says. At the end of the day, I want a family. I want to settle down. We all do. So here's to finding that which we all hope for.""

What a douchebag.

The article is just trying -so hard- to make that police officer sound like an awesome dude.

Driving drunk prevents someone from being an awesome person?

I would like more info on the truck drivers condition, hopefully he's not hurt too bad. All the article says is that he suffered non life threatening injuries. He could still be horrifically injured. If he turns out to be okay, then i don't see any reason to drag any of the officers through the mud. Had he survived, the driver should have been fired, of course. But given the circumstances and his death, not seeing any point in bashin him, again, as long as the innocent motorist who justh appened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time is okay.

Obviously the other driver was the one that needed a breathalyzer?

I didn't read that this occurred.

It is a shit article, very pisspoorly written. Hopefully the author is merely some dipshit unpaid intern at yahoo and received nothing for his/her awful efforts.

Last edited:
This story is being talked about all over my facebook, alot of my family members are state troopers so its been a big debate among them whether the cops were partying at the strip club or perhaps working security now that its coming out that they were drunk I think it's obvious that they were partying

I bet that paid vacations are in these officers' future. Anyone want to bet against me?

Are you talking about a paid leave of absence while they undergo physical therapy for their severe injuries? Yes, i agree, likely will get that. I wouldn't call it a vacation though, pretty callous of you.

Are you talking about a paid leave of absence while they undergo physical therapy for their severe injuries? Yes, i agree, likely will get that. I wouldn't call it a vacation though, pretty callous of you.
I'm talking about the vacation the driver will get as opposed to the jail time that you or I would get after leaving the hospital - and you know it. I stand corrected on the surviving passenger.

Last edited:
I'd assume that they couldn't test the driver on the spot on account of him being dead. Law may require them to get a warrant in order to test the body for its blood alcohol content. Seems more likely then them trying to protect anybody.

""We were all young once and I'm sure we've all done stupid things in our life," said Linden Police Chief James Schulhafer. "But that being said, because this is an ongoing investigation, it would be way too premature to speculate on what caused this accident.""

I'd venture to guess driving the wrong fucking way had something to do with it.

"Rodriguez didn't seem angry at the driver, saying that "it doesn't matter if the driver was drinking because accidents happen.""

Not to mention you son had to of known whether the driver had been boozed up or not. He willingly became a passenger of a drunken driver(if the driver was drunk at least).

""The 3 of us, are decent people. There's a decent woman out there for each of us. Sure it's cool to be single every now and then, but I don't give a damn what ANYONE says. At the end of the day, I want a family. I want to settle down. We all do. So here's to finding that which we all hope for.""

What a douchebag.

Driving drunk prevents someone from being an awesome person?

I would like more info on the truck drivers condition, hopefully he's not hurt too bad. All the article says is that he suffered non life threatening injuries. He could still be horrifically injured. If he turns out to be okay, then i don't see any reason to drag any of the officers through the mud. Had he survived, the driver should have been fired, of course. But given the circumstances and his death, not seeing any point in bashin him, again, as long as the innocent motorist who justh appened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time is okay.

I didn't read that this occurred.

It is a shit article, very pisspoorly written. Hopefully the author is merely some dipshit unpaid intern at yahoo and received nothing for his/her awful efforts.
The driver of the car is still alive. There is no fucking excuse for them not testing his blood, a warrant takes a fucking hour, which leads me to believe they haven't asked for one yet. I can assure you that one was done for medical purposes already, so its really as simple as getting the results.

Must have misread that detail then. Yes, i am in agreement then, these cops are all corrupt. Fuck em.

The off-duty New Jersey police officer who was behind the wheel during a wrong-way crash that killed another officer and a friend last week in New York City had previously had his driver's license suspended for driving under the influence, an official said Tuesday.

Linden Officer Pedro Abad Jr., had his license suspended for seven months starting in October 2013, said Elyse Coffey, spokeswoman for the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.

The suspension stemmed from an accident in Rahway, New Jersey, in February of that year. A judge found he refused to submit to a chemical test and was also driving under the influence.
Hours before the crash, Abad had posted a photo on his Instagram page of three shot glasses filled with what he identified as "Jack Daniels Fire on the house." Investigators have applied for a warrant to test Abad's blood-alcohol level.

Officer Frank Viggiano and friend Joe Rodriguez — both 28 — died in the crash. Abad, 27, and 23-year-old Officer Patrik Kudlac were in critical but stable condition.

All three of the officers were off-duty at the time.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/of...crash-had-dui-in-2013/ar-AA9X48x?ocid=UP97DHP

The off-duty New Jersey police officer who was behind the wheel during a wrong-way crash that killed another officer and a friend last week in New York City had previously had his driver's license suspended for driving under the influence, an official said Tuesday.

How was he permitted to become/stay an officer? Outrageous. It's as if police depts in this country have zero standards.

You get ONE DUI in the military nowadays and you're fucked, that's it, career over. It's exceptionally rare for someone to survive after a single fuck up like that. Apparently with cops it's different, apparently they aren't held to standards anywhere near as high as what some fucktard 18 year old fresh out of highschool is held to. Shocking, and absolutely fucking terrifying.

I wonder how that warrant worked out. If they couldn't get it soon after the incident, how worthwhile will the blood test be at all? Fucker will prob get away with it, cop friends prob pulled every trick and strongarmed thug shit in the book to avoid having that blood tested for alcohol. Hopefully the deceased were corrupt scum too, makes this less tragic.

How was he permitted to become/stay an officer? Outrageous.
Absolutely agree.
It's as if police depts in this country have zero standards.

It may seem that way from reading D'D and watching the news when these embarrassments to the force come up, and there are definitely some depts. who will use deceit to try to cover for officers who do despicable shit, but of the 1.1 million+ law enforcement officers employed on a full-time basis in this country, they're actually a minute minority. Thankfully.

ETA: Hey, that turned out cute. HTH did I do that, lol?

I have zero sympathy for the cop and non-cop (can't stand it when citizens are called "civilians" by media and LEOs. Cops are not military.) who were killed in the accident if they knowingly got into a vehicle with an impaired driver. As far as I am concerned, if the 2 cop passengers knew the driver was impaired, they should be fired and charged accordingly the same way the cops will charge a getaway driver in a bank robbery gone bad that results in a death with murder or manslaughter, even though the getaway driver never entered the bank. Same goes for the non-cop passenger, had he lived.

But alas, I'm going to rub my crystal balls and predict that after a thorough internal investigation, the blame will be laid on the driver of the big rig who was going the correct direction on the highway. :shrug:

That pesky Thin Blue Line.

if the 2 cop passengers knew the driver was impaired, they should be fired and charged accordingly the same way the cops will charge a getaway driver in a bank robbery gone bad that results in a death with murder or manslaughter, even though the getaway driver never entered the bank. Same goes for the non-cop passenger, had he lived.

That's a total load of nonsensical bullshit.

Although i do agree about them facing administrative actions. It shows a complete lack of responsibility and a disregard for standards of safe and acceptable behavior. Again, the military will often punish passengers of drunker drivers who get busted. They should be reprimanded in some serious manner.

its been a big debate among them whether the cops were partying at the strip club or perhaps working security now that its coming out that they were drunk I think it's obvious that they were partying

Big deal if they were partying...cops should have the ability to enjoy their down time, at the strip bar or otherwise without to much criticism...its not a crime to get a lap dance...its a crime to drink and drive.

What a dip shit....I hope he loses his license and keeps his job....and has to do all his patrolling on a mountain bike.

As far as I am concerned, if the 2 cop passengers knew the driver was impaired, they should be fired and charged accordingly the same way the cops will charge a getaway driver in a bank robbery gone bad that results in a death with murder or manslaughter, even though the getaway driver never entered the bank.

100% different scenarios. As the getaway driver, you are actively helping the crime. As a passenger of a driver in a DUI, you are witnessing a crime. You truly are not contributing to the crime or participating. Obviously it's not intelligent for your well being and isn't morally responsible, but it's simply not your crime.

I'd hate the idea of people being arrested just because they witness a crime and don't stop it. Also, in court it would be so hard to prove whether or not the passengers knew the level of intoxication of the driver. How am I supposed to know if my DD drank before I was picked up? Why should I be legally liable to count how many drinks they have when they're out? We are not made to police each other, that is thankfully not a passenger's legal responsibility.

I have absolutely no desire to pay to put passengers through the court system and potentially in jail. When you're just a passenger, you're risking your own life and the life of no one else. The driver is the only one who is risking it all.

That said, cops should be held to a moral responsibility so I have no issues if they face consequences at work. Just not in court.

I'd hate the idea of people being arrested just because they witness a crime and don't stop it. Also, in court it would be so hard to prove whether or not the passengers knew the level of intoxication of the driver.
I wholeheartedly agree but only want to point out that bartenders (in some jurisdictions not all) can be arrested and charged if one of their customers causes an accident. It's the same idea.

I've owed a bar so obviously bartended a lot and judging a person's level of intoxication is difficult at best and often a nightmare, sometimes the best a bartender can do is guess, they only know what they personally have served the person and not what they drank elsewhere or even have in their car "for the road".

But, like I said I wholeheartedly agree.

@Krystal - The bar would be investigated, but from what I've read over the years they don't typically get in any trouble unless they personally have served an unreasonable number of drinks, regardless of how the customer enters the establishment. I think the bar's liability gets thrown out in other cases because of that exact reason, that there is no way of knowing what happens on the side.

but from what I've read over the years they don't typically get in any trouble unless they personally have served an unreasonable number of drinks
Please keep in mind that my experience on this goes back to when the bar and bartender's criminal and civil liabilities were just really starting to be called into question, we're talking 18 years ago now, so bear with me on that. In the town where I had the bar, a bartender was charged, I do think that the charges were dismissed but they were charged.

Obviously in the 18 years since then, could be like 16 or 17 since that particular DUI but you get my point, things have been solidified but I do remember seeing a bartender charged. Not convicted but charged.

100% different scenarios. As the getaway driver, you are actively helping the crime. As a passenger of a driver in a DUI, you are witnessing a crime. You truly are not contributing to the crime or participating. Obviously it's not intelligent for your well being and isn't morally responsible, but it's simply not your crime.
I'd hate the idea of people being arrested just because they witness a crime and don't stop it. Also, in court it would be so hard to prove whether or not the passengers knew the level of intoxication of the driver. How am I supposed to know if my DD drank before I was picked up? Why should I be legally liable to count how many drinks they have when they're out? We are not made to police each other, that is thankfully not a passenger's legal responsibility.

Interesting, well thought out reply. Personally, I would not get into a vehicle knowing the driver was intoxicated, let alone allow an intoxicated person to operate a motor vehicle.

I wholeheartedly agree but only want to point out that bartenders (in some jurisdictions not all) can be arrested and charged if one of their customers causes an accident. It's the same idea.

Along the lines of the above quote, I've read where people hosting parties have allowed intoxicated guests to drive off from their homes and ended up being charged after the guest causes an accident.

Sorry, but as my original post says:

if the 2 cop passengers knew the driver was impaired

It is the knowledge of the driver being intoxicated that, IMO, should make the passengers responsible as well.

Just my $0.02

A lawyer for the New Jersey police officer who law enforcement sources say had a blood alcohol content three times the legal limit when he hit a tractor-trailer head-on on a Staten Island highway last month, killing a fellow officer and a friend and critically injuring a third cop, says his client is in the process of hiring a new attorney and offered no comment on the case.

The NYPD, which is investigating the March 20 wrong-way crash on the West Shore Expressway, also had no comment on the toxicology results of Pedro Abad Jr., which showed a blood alcohol level of .24 percent, according to sources familiar with the case.
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...-Three-Times-NYPD-Lawyer-Death-301433531.html

Back