• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/a-dr...he-anniversary-of-her-death-in-jail/412931646
Screen%20Shot%202017-02-22%20at%2010.29.21%20PM_1487824078282_8643825_ver1.0.png

[....]
Emily was a 34-year-old with tons of friends, who loved the arts, exercise, and her dog Sullivan. On February 10, 2015 she was loading up her car after a workout in Dallas' Cole Park. She was struck and killed by a driver. The distracted and drunk man behind the wheel was then 23-year-old Travis Elwell of Mesquite.

Two years after Emily's death, it was time to go to court.

The Javadis were advised by their legal team that Dallas County juries often give drunk drivers accused of intoxication manslaughter probation instead of jail time that could amount to five to 20 years behind bars.

So they drew up a plea deal for 10 years of probation, with an exception ensuring Elwell would serve 180 days in jail. He will serve 120 now, and the rest one week at a time for the next nine years on the anniversary of Emily's death.
[....]
"To have that annual reminder and the purpose of the annual reminder, while you're sitting in solitude incarcerated, I think it's a really creative way to create more of a deterrent effect," she said.

"That was the only thing that was important for us," said Michael. "That there needs to be some sort of accountability for the irresponsible actions that he took."

The Javadis say they were never interested in locking Elwell up for life. Now they'll get back to spending their lives honoring their daughter.
[....]
Elwell is currently serving his first 120 days in the Dallas County Jail.

So they drew up a plea deal for 10 years of probation, with an exception ensuring Elwell would serve 180 days in jail. He will serve 120 now, and the rest one week at a time for the next nine years on the anniversary of Emily's death.
[....]

Hark! I love this Judge.

"That was the only thing that was important for us," said Michael. "That there needs to be some sort of accountability for the irresponsible actions that he took."
The Javadis say they were never interested in locking Elwell up for life. Now they'll get back to spending their lives honoring their daughter.

That made me cry, but at the same time, smile. :):pout:<3

These cases get me because many times someone is killed and the person who did it has no intent, and may even be a good person but had a terrible lapse in judgement. The family who lost a loved one deserves justice. But removing what could possibly be a useful member of society may not always grant that. This man will remember his mistake for the remainder of his life. if he really is a good person he will show his gratitude to the family by using himself as example of how serious drinking and driving can be.

I really hope this guy sees how lucky he is and isn't another "had 4 previous DUIs and given 4 chances then crashes, kills a family, and of course survives unharmed"

I would have made it two weeks annually as long as he lives.
No vacations for him.
1 week for her birthday
1 for her death day

Back