• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/909...m-purse-seiner-fishing-net-off-tauranga-coast
A Tauranga fishing boat skipper who was forced to release an estimated 30 tonnes of jack mackerel to save six dolphins caught in his net is being praised for his actions by fishing company Sanford Ltd - and by a boatload of recreational fishers who saw the drama unfold.

"They tried their hardest to get them out of their net without losing their catch, because they had a huge amount of fish in there," said recreational fisher Paul Bowyer.
[....]
Paul Bowyer said there were about five or six dolphins in the net. The San Columbia crew used the purse seiner's dory (small boat) to try and round up the dolphins and herd them towards a gap they created in the net, but the dolphins just swam around or under it.

About 45 minutes after recreational fishers arrived, the San Columbia crew released the catch.

"One guy was yelling, swearing, and carrying on, he must have been the skipper," said Paul.

The crew was fishing on the middle ground between Motiti and The Mount last Thursday. It was about sunset when the recreational fishers arrived on scene and was approaching dusk by the time the catch was released.
[....]
"He either took further steps to try and free the dolphins and risk losing the catch of 30 tonnes of jack mackerel, or he faced the prospect of killing the dolphins.

"He believed that his first priority was to try to save the dolphins, so he made the decision to release one at end of the net near the bow and that enabled all the dolphins to swim away, totally unharmed. In the process all the jack mackerel accidentally escaped too."

While no fish were caught or harmed, Sanford is now required to report the jack mackerel as a catch and it counts against the company's annual catch entitlement for this species, said Fiona.

"Sanford supports what the skipper of the San Columbia and his crew did in this situation. The skipper felt that he simply had no viable choice. He believes that any New Zealander in his position would have done the same and Sanford agrees with him.

"The skipper is a very experienced fisherman who has been fishing for 40 years and he goes to a lot of trouble to avoid fishing when dolphins are present [....]

While 30 tonnes of fish is a potentially significant financial loss, Fiona said Sanford's focus was on sustainability.

"Sanford supports the skipper and believes he did the right thing in saving the dolphins and all the fish. Costs comes second in a situation like this."

While no fish were caught or harmed, Sanford is now required to report the jack mackerel as a catch and it counts against the company's annual catch entitlement for this species, said Fiona.

Huh? So, basically, we want to ensure that most captains do the wrong thing.

About 45 minutes after recreational fishers arrived, the San Columbia crew released the catch.

Peer pressure is a bitch though.

I could be wrong, but I bet if those recreational fishermen hadn't showed up to watch, those dolphins would have died with the rest of the fish. They don't catch fish, none of them get paid, bottom line.

it pisses me off they are getting docked for the markerel and that needs to be looked into as it would be an obvious disuader to do the right thing and let those dolphins go

it pisses me off they are getting docked for the markerel and that needs to be looked into as it would be an obvious disuader to do the right thing and let those dolphins go

EXACTLY. So not only do they not get paid, they get docked? No way those dolphins would have lived if those fishermen weren't watching.

Back