• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Dakota

FORUM BITCH / Beloved Cunt
Bold Member!
nqstc0.jpg

Mohammed Shafi and his wife Tobba Yahya
The tale of three Montreal sisters and their aunt who were found dead in their car in the Rideau Canal in Kingston has taken a dramatic turn with the arrest of three family members, who may have been trying to flee the country.
[...]

The three suspects, believed to be the sisters' father, Mohammed Shafi, his wife, and his 18-year-old son, were apprehended yesterday morning while heading to Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport, possibly to flee the country, La Presse newspaper reported, citing unnamed police sources. They were taken to Kingston.

The Shafi sisters – Zainab, 19, Sahar, 17 and Geeti, 13 – died along with their aunt, Rona Amir Mohammed, on June 30. The family was returning from a trip to Niagara Falls and Toronto when they stopped for the night at a motel in Kingston.
[...]
http://www.thestar.com/article/670481
e8mr89.jpg

A photo sent to Kingston Police by
Diba Masoomi, of France, who claims
the photo shows Mohammed Shafi
marrying Rona Amir Mohammed
30 years ago in Kabul, Afghanistan.
It's not clear what charges are being laid, but The Whig-Standard learned that Kingston Police have been investigating, for at least two weeks, the allegation that the deaths were an honour killing.

"We are convinced that this is a crime of honour," Diba Masoomi told Kingston Police, in an email sent to the police chief's office roughly two weeks ago.

The newspaper obtained a copy of the email from Masoomi, who lives in Niort, France. She claims she is the sister of Rona Amir Mohammed and she also offered the stunning allegation that the dead woman was the first wife of Mohammed Shafi, the father of the three dead girls.

She provided photos that she claims show Shafi and Mohammed at their wedding in Afghanistan 30 years ago. The couple never divorced.

Masoomi said the marriage has been hidden since the family moved to Canada two years ago.

In interviews after the deaths, Shafi and the woman he presented as his only wife, Tooba Mohammed Yhaya, said Rona Mohammed was a cousin.

"For some time, my sister, as well as the Shafi couple's oldest daughter, Zainab, had been receiving death threats for social, cultural and family reasons," Masoomi's email to Kingston Police states.

In an interview through translation, Masoomi, who does not speak English or French, explained that Rona Mohammed has stayed in regular contact with relatives in Europe, and has told them she feared for her life.

"She was really afraid," Masoomi told the Whig-Standard, through her daughter Elaha Masoomi. "There were death threats."

Diba Masoomi said that Rona Mohammed married Shafi in Kabul, Afghanistan. When she could not have children, he took a second wife, a practice that is not uncommon in Afghani culture.

Shafi and his second wife had seven children.

Masoomi said her sister remained with the family and raised the children, even when they moved to Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates, 17 years ago.
[...]

In interviews four days after the car was found underwater at Kingston Mills, Mohammed Shafi and Tooba Mohammed Yhaya surmised that the car ended up in the water as the result of a joyride.

They said their eldest daughter, Zainab, had taken the car without permission in the past, even though she did not have a licence. She was trying to learn to drive.
[...]

Yhaya said sometime later, Zainab came to her room and asked for the keys to the family's Nissan so she could get some clothes from the car.

The next morning, when she awoke, the mother said the Nissan was missing along her three daughters and Rona Mohammed. The family could not reach anyone by cellphone. They filed a missing-person report with police and drove on to Montreal, believing the other group had left without them.

Ali Shafi, who was on the trip to Niagara Falls, told the newspaper he could not remember at which motel the family stayed.
[...]

The only turmoil the family displayed, according to Carpanzano (a neighbor), occurred about a month before the deaths at Kingston Mills when the oldest brother told him that his sister, 19-year-old Zainab, had left home suddenly.

"The older brother said, 'We called the police because my sister, she ran away,'" recounted Carpanzano. "From what we heard it seemed she was going out with somebody the parents didn't want and she ran away, defying her parents' authority."
[...]

Kingston Police have described the incident as perplexing from the start, noting that a car would have had to negotiate many obstacles to make it into the water at that spot in Kingston Mills.

There was no damage to any of the lock equipment, tables or other objects around the edge where the car is presumed to have plunged into the water.

The submerged car was first spotted by a lock worker who was preparing to move the first boats through the canal that day just after 8:30 a.m.

The car was resting on its wheels, its front end up against the lock wall, as if the vehicle plunged in backwards.

Police have never released any information about what was learned when autopsies were done on the victims.
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2009/07/22/10225341-cp.html

When this first happened we all believed the story the dad spewed out.But after rereading everything lastnight dad was setting up the story the daughter took the car on her own when he was sleeping.Then he said she came and asked for keys to car to get clothes and took off.Either way,how many arabic women/girls are going to go against dad???None they raised very subservient.Turns out hes been married to the aunt"30" yrs but b.c she couldnt have kids he married this last one.And where they dumped the car a car cant drive in the way it was found so no clue how they got it in there but the locks have steel gates and walls and a car cant get through so Im curious as to how he got it in there.Thats what tipped off the whole story was the way the car was found

KINGSTON, Ont. —
A man, his wife and their son are charged with four counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of three Montreal sisters and their caregiver, who were found dead in a submerged car near Kingston.

The bodies of the three teenaged sisters and the 50-year-old woman were found in the car in the Rideau Canal on June 30.

Kingston police Chief Stephen Tanner told a news conference this afternoon he was saddened at the “needless and senseless loss of innocent human lives,” in what he described as a case of domestic violence.

The girls’ father, Mohammed Shafi, had told police the deaths occurred as the family was headed home after vacationing in Niagara Falls and had stopped for the night at a Kingston hotel.

He said the family was traveling in two cars and that he awoke to find one car missing. He reported the car missing to police and said

his eldest daughter was known to take the family car without permission or a licence.

Police said their investigation proved that allegation to be false, and that in fact all three accused had operated the vehicle that wound up in the canal.

The three accused have also been charged with conspiracy to commit murder.

Police identified for the first time that the caregiver was in fact Shafi’s first wife. Shafi had told police she was his cousin.

Police held a moment of silence for the victims at the beginning of the news conference.

“All shared the rights within our great country to live without fear, to enjoy safety and freedom ... and yet had their lives cut short by members of their own family,” said Tanner, before asking for the silent tribute to the four female victims.

The accused are Mohammed Shafi, his wife Touba Yahya Shafi and his 18-year-old son Hamed Shafi.

The victims are Zainab Shafi, 19, Sahar, 17, and Geeti, 13, along with Rona Amir Mohammed.

The family, originally from Kabul, Afghanistan, spent 15 years in Dubai before moving to Montreal two years ago.

In the immediate aftermath of the drownings, the surviving Shafis had grieved their loss openly and shared family photographs with the reporters they allowed into their home.

Both parents described the eldest, 19-year-old Zainab, as a rebellious young woman.

The family filed a missing-persons report with police, saying they couldn’t reach the missing family members by cellphone. The remaining Shafis then drove on to Montreal, saying they believed the other group had left without them in the second car.

Kingston police were baffled by how the submerged car left the roadway and ended up under about three metres of water in the Kingston Mills lock.

There were no skid marks and there were several obstacles that would have made it difficult for the car to fall into the canal.

Police said they weren’t certain who was in the driver’s seat but confirmed that all four females were still in the car when it was recovered.

The Nissan was first noticed by a lock worker early morning June 30. It had its front end up against the lock wall as if the vehicle had plunged in backwards.

Autopsy results have not been made public so far
http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2009/07/23/10236951.html

Sidenote: Afghanis are not Arab. These folks are most likely Pataani and they are reknown for their tribal/backwards ways. Incidently they are also famous for their wonderful treatment of guests....weird, huh?

I hope this man is comfortable with the fact that the Qu'ran states any man who kills his children will burn for all eternity in hell. I don't have an issue with polygyny, it's allowed in Islam with some very strict guidelines. (which are rarely followed by polygynist men) But if they are all consenting adults then who am I to tell them no? I find it strange that a man sleep with innumerable women and even make children with them but the moment he wants to marry more than one and support them he is a criminal. But I digress.

This guy should be punished according to the Shariah law, stone him to death...or beheading..I am flexible. :crazy: Too bad Canada doesn't have a death penalty.

TY for saying exactly what I said in a pm to someone.I didnt want to get anyone on me but I agree lets stone them!this update is 10 minutes old,,,,,,Parents, brother charged in Kingston canal deaths
A Montreal family has been charged in the deaths of their three teenage daughters and a 50-year-old caregiver, more than three weeks after police pulled four bodies from a car submerged near Kingston, Ont.
According to Kingston police Chief Stephen Tanner, the deaths are a "needless and senseless loss of innocent human lives" which could be an extreme case of domestic violence.

The girls' father, mother and brother all face four counts of first-degree murder each. The four bodies were discovered on June 30 in the Rideau Canal.

The victims are 19-year-old Zainab Shafi and her sisters Sahar, 17, and Geeti, 13. The fourth victim is Rona Amir Mohammed, who was revealed to be Shafi's first wife. She was previously described as a cousin.

Police allege that the parents and their son all operated the car which was dumped in the canal, and that the father lied when he told police the deaths occurred by accident during a family vacation.

Three weeks ago, the girls' father Mohammed Shafi told police that the family was driving home from a vacation in Niagara Falls in two cars.

But after the family had stopped in Kingston for a night, the car carrying the girls went missing, Shafi said at the time.

Shafi reported the car missing to police and said that the eldest girl had been known to take the care out without permission.

Autopsy results haven't been released.

The family is originally from Afghanistan but moved to Canada after spending 15 years in Dubai. Police say the family's culture may have contributed to the deaths.

"All shared the rights within our great country to live without fear, to enjoy safety and freedom ... and yet had their lives cut short by members of their own family," said Tanner.

He also asked for a moment of silence for the victims.

Mohammed Shafi, wife Touba Yahya Shafi and their son Hamed Shafi, 18, all face four counts each of murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

Early on, the deaths appeared to puzzle investigators as they pieced together how the Nissan had plunged into the water. There was speculation that the deaths were the result of careless driving or had occurred after the car's driver lost control.

However, there were several barriers between the roadway and the water, and police couldn't find significant tire marks which would have been consistent with a case of reckless driving.

After the car was discovered, the remaining family members shared their grief with the media and openly discussed their loss.
http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/ab...itemid=CTVNews/20090723/kingston_canal_090723

However, there were several barriers between the roadway and the water, and police couldn't find significant tire marks which would have been consistent with a case of reckless driving.
Thats what I want to know is how they got the car into that water in the position it was in b/c the locks have steel gates and walls in and out of water so Im lost as to how they did it,

Sidenote: Afghanis are not Arab. These folks are most likely Pataani and they are reknown for their tribal/backwards ways. Incidently they are also famous for their wonderful treatment of guests....weird, huh?

I hope this man is comfortable with the fact that the Qu'ran states any man who kills his children will burn for all eternity in hell. I don't have an issue with polygyny, it's allowed in Islam with some very strict guidelines. (which are rarely followed by polygynist men) But if they are all consenting adults then who am I to tell them no? I find it strange that a man sleep with innumerable women and even make children with them but the moment he wants to marry more than one and support them he is a criminal. But I digress.

This guy should be punished according to the Shariah law, stone him to death...or beheading..I am flexible. :crazy: Too bad Canada doesn't have a death penalty.
Your right and I didnt even think of that b/c when I do the Canadian Census I have 5 houses over from meand I had a hardtime explaining to them that we dont need the Tribal Name.Up until that first time I did I didnt realize they have Tribal Names!!Learn something new all the time.But they insisited it be included in the census so I did while I was there then removed it once I was at home doing the papers b/c the gov didnt want the Tribal Names included.

Honour killings occur not only amongst "backwards" Paatani peoples, but in Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia etc... This practise cannot be confined to a peripheral group within the greater Muslim population. It is a practise that is not unknown even among the Muslim population in the United Kingdom, Canada and the United States. To place the blame for this sickening culture on a small group is disingenuous.

Honour killings occur not only amongst "backwards" Paatani peoples, but in Jordan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia etc... This practise cannot be confined to a peripheral group within the greater Muslim population. It is a practise that is not unknown even among the Muslim population in the United Kingdom, Canada and the United States. To place the blame for this sickening culture on a small group is disingenuous.

I wasn't stating that they (Pataanis) hold the corner market on Honor killings. Basically honor killings have existed in the Middle East and Asia long before Christianity and Islam were religions in those areas. It is their backwards cultures that encourage this crap, not the religion. People try to use religion as a backdrop for these killings when in fact it was an ingrained part of the culture before any of those religons came into the area.

As a matter of fact Islam strictly forbids "honor killings" but that doesn't stop the idiots from practicing it. I believe Christianity forbids murder...yet look at all these gleaming examples of Christianity shown on this very board. Most of these My Spaces of murderers have "Christian" as religion...yet no one says it was their religious beliefs that made them chose to kill.

Ignoring the problem within the Islamic population is not going to solve anything. Mainstream Christians in the Western World...and atheists, agnostics and Jews....do not do this sort of thing. They do not make excuses for this sort of thing.

Also...why is there no outrage in the Islamic community over the Chinese government's treatment of the Muslim Uyghur community? Muslims were outraged, and committed acts of violence over a Danish cartoonist's depiction of the Prophet Mohammed, but I have yet there is almost complete silence in regards to the Uyghur issue. Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt...etc....have buried their collective heads in the sand. Only the secular Turkish government issued words of condemnation. It seems that the Islamic people do not seem to care if it is a non-white government that maltreats Muslims.

Ignoring the problem within the Islamic population is not going to solve anything. Mainstream Christians in the Western World...and atheists, agnostics and Jews....do not do this sort of thing. They do not make excuses for this sort of thing.

Also...why is there no outrage in the Islamic community over the Chinese government's treatment of the Muslim Uyghur community? Muslims were outraged, and committed acts of violence over a Danish cartoonist's depiction of the Prophet Mohammed, but I have yet there is almost complete silence in regards to the Uyghur issue. Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt...etc....have buried their collective heads in the sand. Only the secular Turkish government issued words of condemnation. It seems that the Islamic people do not seem to care if it is a non-white government that maltreats Muslims.

I am a member of two Muslim boards and there is constant discussion and movement to have the plight of the Muslims in China highlighted. The board is mostly UK members but they've been appealing to their government to apply pressure to China about it's acts against humanmity. Here in the states the mosques have been gathering information and appealing to the media as well as government to DO something.

There is a large outcry from Muslims in the West and East alike but the media seems only interested in portraying some half literates screaming jihad (and they don't even know the true meaning of jihad) and setting buildings on fire. If you are waiting for true unbiased news reporting (showing the good and bad of a people) then you will die an unfulfilled man.

Four women gone forever: Kingston canal car deaths timelinePosted: July 23, 2009, 7:50
A Montreal couple allegedly began making plans to kill their three daughters, along with the husband's first wife, weeks before the bodies of all four victims were found in a car submerged in the Rideau Canal.

Mohammad Shafia, 56, his wife Tooba Mohammad Yahya, 39, and their eldest son Hamed Shafia, 18, all face first-degree murder charges in the deaths which came to light after a Nissan Sentra was discovered in the canal near the Kingston Mills Locks. Conspiracy charges filed at the Kingston courthouse Thursday reveal investigators believe plans to commit the murders were hatched as far back as May 1.

Below is a reconstructed timeline of events leading up to the arrests.

June 30 The Shafia family, from Montreal, returns home from a trip to Niagara Falls when they decide to stop for the night in a Kingston, Ont., motel in the early hours. They were travelling in two vehicles, and say they slept in two hotel rooms.

June 30 The family alleges that at about 1:30 a.m. ET 19-year-old Zainab Shafia asked her parents for the keys to the family’s Nissan Sentra. (The family later say Zainab often took the car without consent, but police believe that to be untrue.)

June 30 At some point after that, police allege Hamid Mohammad Shafia, the girls’ brother, drove the family’s other car, a Lexus SUV, back to Montreal. (According to one published report, the father said that upon waking up and discovering the girls were gone, they drove on to Montreal planning to catch up to the Nissan.)

June 30, 9:30 a.m. ET A black 2004 Nissan Sentra was discovered underwater in front of the north most lock wall at the Kingston Mills locks. The Nissan was resting on its wheels under water, its front end up against the lock wall. The bodies of four women, Zainab Shafia, her sisters Sahar, 17, and Geeti, 13, and their father’s first wife, Rona Amir Mohammad, 50, were discovered inside the vehicle.

June 30, 12:30 p.m. ET Mohammad Shafia and Tooba Mohammad Yhaya walk into Kingston police headquarters to report their daughters and the Nissan missing. Police say they are accompanied by their son, Hamid, who has returned from Montreal and acts as a translator for his father, an Afghani.

July 2 Autopsies are performed on the four women. The results have not been released.

July 3 Mr. Shafia and Ms. Yhaya cry openly as they speak with reporters inside their Laval, Que., home. Mr. Shafia says his eldest daughter, whom he described as rebellious, may have taken the car with her sisters and aunt, even though she did not have a driver’s licence. Police say they consider the deaths suspicious and are baffled by how the car got into the water. It had to cross a patch of grass, either over a concrete barrier or through a gate, and through two poles on the dock.

July 5 The Shafia family buries the dead at an Islamic cemetery in Laval.

Days later Kingston police Chief Stephen Tanner receives an email from someone claiming to be a relative of deceased Ms. Mohammad in which she suggests the deaths could have been for “honour.” Reports said Ms. Mohammad’s sister wrote to the Chief to say her sister and the eldest Shafia daughter had been receiving death threats “for social, cultural and family reasons.”

July 22 The parents and brother are arrested, reportedly while on their way to Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport in Montreal. Police believe at least one of the three had plans to travel to a foreign country.

July 23 Police say they have charged Mr. Shafia, Ms. Yhaya and their son Hamid Mohammad Shafia with four counts each of first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder. Police said they have been able to “link” the Lexus SUV and the three accused to the locks. They believe that on the night in question, it was the three accused who “operated” the Nissan.
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...rever-kingston-canal-car-deaths-timeline.aspx

Canada faces prospect of dealing with more 'honour killing' cases: expertJuly, 23, 2009 - 08:05MONTREAL
A psychiatry professor at Newfoundland's Memorial University who has studied so-called honour killings said he is working with Justice Canada to define the term in the hopes that it will be included in the Criminal Code.

"The legal system in Canada was not familiar up to now about the context of honour killing and now cases are coming up," said Dr. Amin Muhammad, who estimated it has surfaced in about a dozen cases in Canada.

Muhammad says it is becoming more common as people from countries where such acts persist immigrate to Canada.
He's currently working with Justice Canada to properly define "honour killing," the premeditated murder of a female relative believed to have brought dishonour upon her family, typically by engaging in pre-or extra-marital relations.

The term came up Thursday in the case of the deaths of three Montreal sisters and a caregiver who were found in a car submerged in the Rideau Canal. Police allege the four had been murdered by the girls' parents and brother in a possible "honour killing."

The accused father in the case, Mohammed Shafi, had told police the deaths occurred as the family was headed home after vacationing in Niagara Falls and had stopped for the night at a Kingston hotel. He said the family was travelling in two cars and that he awoke to find one car missing.

Noting the so-called honour killings are not condoned by Islam and are illegal in many countries like Afghanistan and Pakistan even if perpetrators are not always prosecuted for such crimes, Muhammad said many try to use their religion and culture to defend their actions.
"
They try to use the Canadian government's leniency towards respect for different cultures," he said, noting cases often get bogged down in the courts.
On Thursday, police in Kingston, Ont., charged Shafia, his wife Tooba Mohammad Yahya and their 18-year-old son Hamed Mohammad-Shafia with four counts of first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

Earlier this month, the bodies of their daughters Zainab, 19, Sahar, 17, and Geeti, 13, were found dead in the family car which had somehow been submerged in the Rideau Canal near Kingston.

Rona Amir Mohammad, 52, was also dead inside the vehicle. She was initially believed to be a cousin but police now say she was actually Mohammad Shafia's first wife.

While police alluded to differences in cultural values, they would not disclose a possible motive for the killings, but indicated they were investigating allegations from a family member that it might be an "honour crime."

The allegations against Shafia, his wife and son have not yet been proven in court.

The family spent 15 years in Dubai before moving to Montreal two years ago.

In May, an Ottawa jury convicted Hasibullah Sadiqi, 23, of two counts of first-degree murder. Born to Afghan parents, the Indian native gunned down his 20-year-old sister Khatera and her fiancee Feroz Mangal, 23, in 2006.

The so-called honour killing was an attempt to restore his family's status after the couple moved in together before their wedding.

Jamal Kakar, executive director of the Afghan Association of Ontario, said arrests in the Shafia case have "shocked" Canada's approximately 120,000 strong Afghan community.

"It's really unbelievable to me," he said Thursday, noting colleagues are "very disappointed and very saddened" by what's happened.

He said culture shock is a very real problem for new immigrants and that it's not altogether uncommon for situations to become violent.
Organizations like his assist families with the transition, provide mediation and help newcomers understand the rules of their adopted country. He's calling on the government to invest more into services and resources for new immigrants so that things like honour killings won't happen.

"
Every immigrant community needs services to prevent these types of incidents," he said.

According to the United Nations, as many as 5,000 girls and women are murdered every year around the world as part of so-called honour killings.[/
QUOTE]He's currently working with Justice Canada to properly define "honour killing," the premeditated murder of a female relative believed to have brought dishonour upon her family, typically by engaging in pre-or extra-marital relations.

The term came up Thursday in the case of the deaths of three Montreal sisters and a caregiver who were found in a car submerged in the Rideau Canal. Police allege the four had been murdered by the girls' parents and brother in a possible "honour killing."

The accused father in the case, Mohammed Shafi, had told police the deaths occurred as the family was headed home after vacationing in Niagara Falls and had stopped for the night at a Kingston hotel. He said the family was travelling in two cars and that he awoke to find one car missing.

Noting the so-called honour killings are not condoned by Islam and are illegal in many countries like Afghanistan and Pakistan even if perpetrators are not always prosecuted for such crimes, Muhammad said many try to use their religion and culture to defend their actions.

"They try to use the Canadian government's leniency towards respect for different cultures," he said, noting cases often get bogged down in the courts.

On Thursday, police in Kingston, Ont., charged Shafia, his wife Tooba Mohammad Yahya and their 18-year-old son Hamed Mohammad-Shafia with four counts of first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

Earlier this month, the bodies of their daughters Zainab, 19, Sahar, 17, and Geeti, 13, were found dead in the family car which had somehow been submerged in the Rideau Canal near Kingston.

Rona Amir Mohammad, 52, was also dead inside the vehicle. She was initially believed to be a cousin but police now say she was actually Mohammad Shafia's first wife.

While police alluded to differences in cultural values, they would not disclose a possible motive for the killings, but indicated they were investigating allegations from a family member that it might be an "honour crime."

The allegations against Shafia, his wife and son have not yet been proven in court.

The family spent 15 years in Dubai before moving to Montreal two years ago.

In May, an Ottawa jury convicted Hasibullah Sadiqi, 23, of two counts of first-degree murder. Born to Afghan parents, the Indian native gunned down his 20-year-old sister Khatera and her fiancee Feroz Mangal, 23, in 2006.

The so-called honour killing was an attempt to restore his family's status after the couple moved in together before their wedding.

Jamal Kakar, executive director of the Afghan Association of Ontario, said arrests in the Shafia case have "shocked" Canada's approximately 120,000 strong Afghan community.

"It's really unbelievable to me," he said Thursday, noting colleagues are "very disappointed and very saddened" by what's happened.

He said culture shock is a very real problem for new immigrants and that it's not altogether uncommon for situations to become violent.

Organizations like his assist families with the transition, provide mediation and help newcomers understand the rules of their adopted country. He's calling on the government to invest more into services and resources for new immigrants so that things like honour killings won't happen.

"Every immigrant community needs services to prevent these types of incidents," he said.

According to the United Nations, as many as 5,000 girls and women are murdered every year around the world as part of so-called honour killings.

TIMELINE FOR DEATH
What allegedly happened, according to statements from family and police.

June 30

* 1 a. m.: Shafifamily arrives at east-end motel driving a black 2004 Nissan Sentra and a silver Lexus SUV, they say.

* 1:30 a. m. or later: Zainab Shafi, 19, enters her parents' room and asks for keys to Nissan to get clothes out of car.

* 7:30 a. m.: Tooba Mohammed Yhaya and her husband, Mohammed Shafi, awake to find Nissan missing. They go into police headquarters that morning to file a missing person's report before heading back to Montreal.

* 8:30 a. m.: First boats head into locks at Kingston Mills. Parks Canada workers notice oil plume on water and then see a submerged car at the northeast corner of the upper lock gates. A police dive team is called in and the car and bodies are removed in the afternoon.

July 2

* Autopsies performed on the four women found in the car - Zainab, her sisters Sahar, 17, and Geeti, 13 and their relative Rona Amir Mohammed, 50, described by family as their aunt. Why didnt autopsy show anything relate4d to murder?Unless, they have toxicology back now showing something??

July 3

* Police send two-man survey crew to plot the terrain around the lock station. There are very few hints of a car coming through the area and tire tracks don't appear to be conclusive. Im dying to know how they got that car into the water

July 5

* Shafifamily buries the four dead women at an Islamic cemetery in Laval, Que. Further services are held in the coming days.

July 1 -10

* Kingston Police visit area businesses along Hwy. 15 to check security video and hotel logs.

July 22

* Police arrest three people but remain mum about further details. An afternoon news release announces a 2 p. m. news conference today to announce "a change in the status of this ongoing investigation."
http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1668566

News organizations also received an email, purportedly from a relative, that alleges Rona -- Shafia's first wife -- feared for her life and was regularly threatened by her husband.

The email also states that Shafia thought Western culture was negatively influencing his family, and alleges that "the daughters were beaten regularly, either by him or his son Hamed, because their behaviour was a disgrace to him in his eyes," The Canadian Press reported.
I am in no way trying to be disrespectful but if you dont want anothers countries influences on your family then stay the hell in your country!!Cant have it both ways,you move to a new country you follow the rules and laws of that country.Just as if I was arrested in your country and I commit a crime I expect to face that countries laws.I cant tell you how many times at work I hear "oh my country beautiful,my country no pollution,my country this that or thre other thing,.then if ours is so bad why did you come here??Aside from escaping death or wars etc,etc,thats different.Sorry but its pissing off b./c 2 weeks ago again on Americas Most Wanted they re ran the story of that Iraqi father in New Jersey who took his 2 teen daughters out to a back road and murdered them b/c 1 had been accepted to University and he didnt like the way the girls were becoming American b/c all their friends were and hes still out there so thats 6 females in that short of a time dead for Hinor Killings!!Fucking sickening sorry,

Last edited:
Parents, son charged in canal deaths

KINGSTON, Ont. --
As soon as Diba Masoomi learned that her sister Rona Amir Mohammed had been found dead with three younger women in a car at the bottom of the Rideau Canal, she believed she knew the motive.
From her home in western France, Masoomi began an e-mail campaign to convince police that her sister’s husband, Mohammed Shafi, had committed mass murder at Kingston Mills, but that it was a “crime of honour.”

Shafi, his wife Tooba and their 18-year-old son Hamed are charged with first-degree murder.

The true motive for the killings may be revealed if the three accused go to trial, but the tragedy has reopened a debate about the clashes that occur – and the violence generated – when people from conservative cultures try to fit into western society with all of its liberal leanings.

The e-mail from Masoomi painted a picture of ongoing physical abuse and control, with Rona fearing for her life.

“It’s not unheard of that women are killed in cold blood for, supposedly, the defence of men’s honour,” said Haideh Moghissi, associate dean of the faculty of arts at York University and an expert on gender relations in Middle Eastern cultures.

This is a gruesome murder but whether we should call it an honour killing or not, I doubt it.”
Moghissi said that even though most Mideast countries have adopted European-style codes of civil law, Muslim Sharia law tends to guide personal laws and relations, with the women slotted into subservient roles.

“It means that, first of all, if she’s below 18, she needs the permission of the father [to marry],” Moghissi explained. “Once she enters that marriage, she is bound by certain regulations in terms of obedience.”

It appears that two members of the Shafi family circle fell afoul of both requirements.

In her e-mail, Masoomi said that 19-year-old Zainab had been beaten by her father and older brothers, and “had been receiving death threats.” She had carried on a romantic relationship, not approved by her father, with a young Pakistani man in Montreal.

Masoomi's sister, Rona, was seeking a divorce so that she could get on with her life.

“It must be known, in Afghani tradition, only the husbands are allowed to divorce their wives, which Mr. Shaffi [sic] had refused to do for my sister for 20 years, despite the demands of our brothers,” Masoomi wrote.
In both instances, Rona and Zainab were defying the wishes of the family patriarch.

“Defiance is a very important article in the civil code of many Muslim countries,” said Moghissi. “If a woman refuses to respect some of these legal rights of men and perhaps leaves the house without his permission, or if she gets engaged in extramarital relationships, that’s very harshly punishable by law.”

Moghissi said courts in countries such as Afghanistan will never order the woman put to death as punishment.

Muslim law doesn’t require punishment. If it is adultery and he kills her, then if he can prove that [it was adultery], the law is quite lenient in the man’s punishment. It is somehow sanctioning the murder.
” Click here to watch the video of the press conference
Moghissi, who studied and taught at Queen’s University in Kingston for nine years, is hesitant to frame the murders as being motivated by cultural forces.

“Most women killed, even in Canada, the statistics tell us they are killed by someone they know, if not their husband,” she said. “It is really similar. There is no difference. It is a jealous, authoritarian ignorant man who thinks he owns the woman. If he can’t have the woman, no one else can.”

At yesterday’s press conference, Kingston Police Chief Stephen Tanner spoke of a monument recently unveiled outside the police station remembering women killed in domestic violence in the city. A moment’s silence for the four victims was also observed.

Tanner spoke about young women in Canada having the right to personal freedoms and free speech.

Joanne Young is executive director of Interval House in Kingston, which provides a safe haven for women and children escaping violence. She agreed that the concept of the honour killing can be over-emphasized.

“As soon as we heard about the car being found, and four women in the car, is that this is a domestic violence killing,” she said. “Based on the work we do here … that was suspicious.”
Young said culture can be a contributing factor.
“This is a family that is fairly new to Western culture. In my experience over the years working in shelters (culture) sometimes does precipitate violence. Women come here and see freedom. They speak out. At times it just causes that frustration within the family, as in ‘We’re losing our cultural identity.’”

One of the Shafis’ neighbours in Montreal said that Hamed Mohammed told him that his sister, Zainab, had run away about a month before the deaths and that police were called in to find her.

“Were the right questions asked when the police came?” Young asked. “Kingston police are very good at asking those right questions to determine what this is.

“A 19-year-old leaving home and calling the police in? That sounds very fishy. Police are trained to ask those questions.”

Diba Masoomi’s letter said that Zainab had “started proceedings with social services in Montreal after having been hit severely by her dad and older brothers.”
Young said counsellors at women’s shelters are trained to consider everything according to the woman’s point of view.

“The first thing we do is work on safety planning. We do lethality assessments. We work through the assessment to see how at risk this woman is,” she said.

“No ifs ands or buts about it. Any violence toward women and children is criminal, period.”
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2009/07/22/10225341-cp.html

Last edited:
This is latest and its diff relatives even some defending them for the honor killings!!Family conflict led to canal tragedy, says relative24/07/2009 11:08:53 PM
The eldest of three sisters found dead in a submerged car last month was in a forbidden relationship with a young man before her death, according to a relative, who says the 19-year-old girl had clashed with her family earlier this year.
News Staff

Zainab Shafia's body was discovered with those of two younger sisters, Sahar, 17, and Geeti, 13, on June 30. Also found dead in a submerged car in the Rideau Canal was Rona Amir Mohammad, a 50-year-old woman now identified as their father's first wife.

Father Mohammed Shafi, wife Tooba Mohammad Yahya and their son Hamed Mohammad Shafia, 18, have been charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder in connection with the deaths.

Kingston police are investigating the possibility that the three girls and the woman were victims of a so-called "honour killing."

Rona's brother says that the family was locked in conflict and that the eldest daughter's romantic relationship with a young Pakistani man may have been a contributing factor in the tragedy.

"The parents of this girl did not want her to marry a Pakistani boy who didn't have any money. They didn't want that," relative Wali Abdali, who lives in France, told CTV Montreal on Friday.

Rona, who had previously been identified by the family as both an aunt and a cousin, lived with her husband, his second wife and their seven children at the family's Montreal home.

But the family arrangement was causing strain, according to Abdali.

"They didn't have a good relationship. The other woman didn't want my sister to stay in the house with them," he said in French.

The father reportedly took a second wife after it was found that Rona couldn't conceive. The marriages took place in Afghanistan in the late 1970s and early 1980s, where it is legal to have two wives.

According to Zarmina Fazel, who is the aunt of wife Tooba, Shafia is a smart businessman who has worked hard to build a life for his family in Canada.

Shafia owns at least three business, and last year, he bought a retail mall in Laval, Que., which is worth around $2 million, CTV Montreal reported.

Shafia was also building a large family home in a gated community in Brossard, a suburb east of Montreal.

Originally from Afghanistan, the family lived in Dubai for 15-years before coming to Canada two years ago.

Community reaction

Another relative defended her family members, in an interview with the Toronto Star.

But Zarmina Fazel, the aunt of the girls' mother, Tooba Mohammad Yahya, has alleged that the four victims died as part of a suicide bid by the eldest daughter, Zainab.

"Zainab was not normal," Fazel said. She defended both parents, saying that father Mohammed is "a very honest man" and that the teens' mother was "not that kind of person."

The three accused are being held in police custody until their next court appearance on Aug. 6.

The whole family was on the way back to their home near Montreal, in Saint-Leonard, Que., around the time the submerged car was discovered. They had been returning from a trip to Niagara Falls.

As rumours surrounding the deaths continue to circulate, Ihsaan Gardee, spokesman from the Canadian chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said the term "honour killing" is troublesome.

"With regards to the term honour killing thrown about, all Canadians soundly reject killing, by whatever name -- a killing is a killing," he said.

The term has been used to describe other high-profile cases in Canada, including the 2007 death of Toronto teenager Aqsa Parvez, who was allegedly killed by her father and brother after she refused to wear the traditional Muslim headscarf.

But Gardee said using the phrase sends the message that "the killing of women and children is the exclusive monopoly of any one faith or culture or ethnicity."
http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/ab...itemid=CTVNews/20090724/submerged_folo_090724

2qx2war.jpg
A Montreal mother, father and son accused of murdering four family members were attacked and subjected to death threats within hours of arriving at a detention centre in Napanee, Sun Media has learned.

Hamed Shafia, 18, was assaulted by other inmates at the Quinte Detention Centre when he was allowed out of his cell for yard time.

Jail staff had allowed him to exercise with other protective prisoners who were thought to be compatible.

He was not seriously hurt and did not require hospitalization.
[...]

Hamed Shafia's father, Mohammed, was not attacked.

Tooba Mohammed Yahya, who is being held in the separate women's section at Quinte, has not been attacked.

"It's just a matter of time," a prison source said.

Other inmates have been screaming threats and calling Yahya "baby killer." She is permitted daily exercise by herself.

The two Shafia men were being held in an eight-cell wing of the maximum-security section known as unit 1B. They have now been moved to the jail's segregation unit, or hole, where they are isolated from other inmates, held in single cells.
[...]

"At this point, the detention centre is supposed to put them under protection ... how they intend to do it I do not know," Dube said, in an interview yesterday.

Because Quinte is so overcrowded, some protective custody inmates -- those who must be isolated from others -- are double or triple bunked.

Sex offenders, child killers and some other high-profile inmates are despised by the general population and could be killed if not kept isolated.

Quinte does not have a protective custody unit for women. In some cases, women who require segregation are moved into the men's section of the facility, a practice that creates new logistical security problems.

Montreal lawyer Waice Ferdoussi, who represents Mohammed Shafia, ... accused Kingston Police of whipping up anger at the three accused.
[...]
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2009/07/29/10295936-sun.html

There was a march downtown the other day to with this b/c they dont want Canadians to think this is the norm b/c its not they said.I think no matter what the belief system is in any country people are pissed.Canada is holding referendums and meetings and planning on talking at school here(in Windsor I know they are) b/c theres a huge muslim,arabic,pakastani etc population here.And they want to get the info out there to the girls in the schools that they can go to a teacher/councellor and let someone know whats going on.Like I said before this makes 5 teens in a little over a month plus that woman thought to be the aunt that was really the first wife.So its getting some attention here and Im sure it will get more as the charges and trials begin to move forward.

Lawyers seek better protection for alleged canal murder conspiratorsJuly 30, 2009
Lawyers representing Mohammad Shafia and his son, Hamed, accused of killing four of their relatives in Kingston, Ont., have asked that their clients be placed in more secure facilities after inmates at a detention centre allegedly assaulted one and tried to attack the other.

Lawyer Jean Claude Dube, a Montreal lawyer representing Hamed Shafia on murder and conspiracy charges filed last week in Kingston, said he and fellow lawyer Waice Ferdoussi, have made written requests that their clients be better protected while in custody.

Dube said Hamed Shafia was assaulted by inmates at the Quinte Detention Centre during the weekend. Dube said he hasn't spoken to his client since the assault, but was told inmates tried to assault Mohammad Shafia, 56, as well.
received information that several inmates tried to do them harm. They injured (Hamed Shafia), but his father was not injured.

"The son was taken to a hospital, but was returned to the detention centre shortly after," Dube said.

Hamed Shafia filed a complaint after the assault which has since been passed on to a local police force for investigation.

He was arrested last week along with his father and mother, Tooba Mohammad Yahya.

All three have been charged in Kingston with four counts of first-degree murder and four counts of conspiracy to commit murder. The bodies of Yahya and Mohammad's daughters -- Zainab, 19, Sahari, 17, and Geeti, 13 -- and Mohammad's first wife, Rona Amir Mohammad, were found in a car submerged in the Rideau Canal on June 30.
http://www2.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=2b75f877-f3f3-46e0-a813-9ee30b51c8d8 BOO FUCKING HOO They deserve as much protection as they showed their daughters,sisters,aunt,first wife whatever!!Always the way they commit the crime and yet they are the biggest fucking whiners in the world.

Canal death suspects share cell July 31, 2009
Mohammad Shafia and his son, Hamed, accused of murder in the canal deaths in Kingston, are now sharing a cell in protective custody, LCN reports.

Prison authorities decided Tuesday to place the two accused in the same cell in the isolation unit at the Quinte Detention Centre in Napanee, Ont., to protect them from other prisoners, the French-language TV network reports.

Mohammad Shafia, Hamed and his mother, Tooba Mohammad Yahya, have all been charged with four counts of first-degree murder and four counts of conspiracy to commit murder.
The bodies of Yahya and Mohammad's daughters -- Zainab, 19, Sahari, 17, and Geeti, 13 -- and Mohammad's first wife, Rona Amir Mohammad, were found in a car submerged in the Rideau Canal on June 30.

http://www2.canada.com/windsorstar/news/story.html?id=f3bbe6c5-93b6-4b75-9e69-b326788d2a1e

August 1 2009Slain Montreal teen tried to marry, says `groom'.MONTREAL -
The eldest of three teenagers found dead in a submerged car in Kingston, Ont., in June, made as many as three attempts to get married before she, her two sisters, and another relative were killed, allegedly at the hands of her parents and brother.

In an interview with Canwest News Service, a 26-year-old Montreal man said he and Zainab Shafia were married in a religious ceremony at a suburban Montreal mosque in May. The wedding was never officially registered with the province of Quebec because both his and his bride's families disapproved of the union.

The couple decided not to register the wedding the day after it took place, he said adding he believes Zainab was engaged to another man at some point last year.

According to Sun Media, Zainab, 19, was about to announce her engagement to another man, a 27-year-old Montrealer, on July 1. She was found dead inside a car discovered submerged in the Rideau Canal on June 30. The bodies of her two younger sisters - Sahari, 17 and Geeti, 13, also were found inside the car along with the body of Rona Amir Mohammad, Mohammad Shafia's first wife.

Mohammad Shafia, his second wife Tooba Mohammad Yahya and their son Hamed Shafia each face four counts of first-degree murder and conspiracy.

A relative of the 27-year-old Montrealer declined to be interviewed by Canwest News Service last week. He said he would have something to say after the trial is over.

Relatives of Rona Amir Mohammad have alleged that her husband felt his oldest daughter had disgraced his family by her behaviour in Canada. They also alleged the homicides were carried out as so-called honour killings. The family, originally from Kabul, moved to Montreal from Dubai two years ago.
http://www.canada.com/Slain+Montreal+teen+tried+marry+says+groom/1852893/story.html?id=1852893

Parents, son, don't enter pleas in canal deaths
A
Montreal couple and their son did not enter pleas as they made separate video appearances in a Kingston, Ont. court on first-degree murder charges.
Mohammed Shafi, his wife Touba Yahya Shafi and his son Hamed Shafi, 18, have also been charged with conspiracy to commit murders.

They were charged after the deaths of three of their daughters and a female relative, who were found dead in a submerged car.

The bodies of 19-year-old Zainab Shafi, along with her sisters, 17-year-old Sahar and 13-year-old Geeti, were found June 30 in a Nissan Sentra that was submerged in the Rideau Canal.

Rona Amir Mohammed, described by police as a 50-year-old relative, was also inside the same car.

The accused family members have hired new Kingston-area lawyers.

The new lawyers say they have received no discourse of evidence from the police and are expecting some information by Aug. 12.

The accused are due back in court on Aug. 14.

The court has authorized the couple's other children to make unsupervised visits at the detention centres they are being held in.

Following the discovery of the bodies at the end of June, Mohammed Shafi claimed his daughters and first wife -- the 50-year-old woman found in the car -- died after the family was making its way back to Montreal after a trip to Niagara Falls.

The family had stopped for the night at a Kingston hotel and Mohammed Shafi said that he woke up and found one of his cars missing. He claimed his eldest daughter, Zainab, was prone to taking the car out on the road without his permission.

But more than three weeks after the bodies of the four women were found in the car, police charged Mohammed Shafi, as well as his wife and son, with the killings.

Police allege that the three accused operated the car that was found in the canal with the four bodies inside.

Rob Tripp, an investigative reporter with the Kingston Whig-Standard, said that relatives of the accused contacted police to relay their suspicions that the four women had not died as a result of an accident.

"We've got four relatives, in this case, of one of the victims who all live in Europe," he told CTV's Canada AM during a phone interview from Kingston on Thursday morning.

"Within days of this event, of the four women being pulled out of the canal, these relatives were calling and e-mailing the police in Kingston, alleging that this could not be an accident. They believed it was an honour killing orchestrated by the patriarch, the father in this family, along with his wife and his oldest son, to restore his honour because of apparent offences to his honour by his daughter and his first wife."

Another relative, however, has denied that the four women died as a result of an honour killing.

In a recent interview with the Toronto Star, Zarmina Fazel has alleged that the victims died as part of a suicide bid by the eldest daughter, Zainab Shafi.

"Zainab was not normal," Fazel said. She defended both parents, saying that father Mohammed is "a very honest man" and that the teens' mother was "not that kind of person."

The Shafi family is originally from Afghanistan, but lived in Dubai for about 15 years before moving to Canada in recent years.

Mohammed Shafi had a successful business selling Japanese cars in Dubai, and last year purchased a shopping mall in Laval, Que., for more than $1 million.
http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/Ho...line=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=True

honour schmour...how about calling it ' i'm a man and your a woman and you pissed me off now your dead' killing....oh wait, we have that in the USA..its called MURDER!

Here is the outcome to one of the "Honor Killings" I listed above
Father, son given life for teen's honour killing
More than two years after her death, Aqsa Parvez received justice Wednesday, the Crown says -- an ideal the 16-year-old fought for even as her father and brother conspired to strangle her inside the family home.

In a scathing ruling that decried their "twisted, chilling and repugnant mindset," Justice Bruce Durno sentenced Muhammad and Waqas Parvez to life in prison with no chance of parole for 18 years.

"Aqsa finally got in death what she didn't get in life in terms of justice and dignity," Crown attorney Mara Basso said outside court, noting the stiff sentence "sends an incredibly important and necessary message to our community."

Muhammad and Waqas Parvez pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in Aqsa's 2007 slaying this week. As Durno issued the final word Wednesday, the pair sat expressionless in the prisoners' box as family members looked on; Aqsa's mother, Anwar Jan, occasionally dabbed her eyes.
The Crown has characterized Aqsa's murder as an honour killing, and while the defence has shied away from that label, Durno appeared to accept that notions of honour played a role in the tragedy.
[...]
The youngest of eight children, Aqsa Parvez was 16 years old when her father and brother strangled her to death. An agreed statement of facts details a clash of cultures, pitting Aqsa against her father's oppressive, patriarchal rule.
Originally from Pakistan, Aqsa became increasingly enmeshed in western culture after the family relocated to Mississauga, Ont., in 2001, setting the stage for increased tensions at home.

Women in the Parvez family were expected to dress traditionally, to rely on men for financial stability, and to spend most of their free time confined to the household. Arranged to be married to a Pakistani man, Aqsa longed for the freedom to dress as she wished and spend evenings with her friends; she craved privacy, as her bedroom had no door.

In late November 2007, Aqsa decided she had had enough, and elected to leave home.

"She confided in her closest friends that her father had sworn to her on the Qur'an that if she ran away again, he would kill her," Crown attorney Sandra Caponecchia told the court this week.
Days before she died, Aqsa enjoyed a movie for the first time, and had started to take steps toward a part-time job. But on Dec. 10, 2007, her brother picked her up from the bus stop as she waited there with a friend.

Half an hour later, Aqsa's father called police to say he had killed Aqsa with his bare hands. He was charged in her murder the same day.

Almost more chilling than the crime itself was the family's willingness to defend it in statements to police.
The teenager's siblings agreed Aqsa deserved violent retribution for her disobedience; Aqsa's mother, Jan, suggested it was acceptable in Pakistan to kill children for such behaviour.
http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Father+given+life+teen+honour+killing/3163826/story.html

Canal murder trial jury selection underway

KINGSTON, Ont. — Three Montreal residents accused in the killings of four family members who were found in a car at the Kingston Mills locks in 2009 pleaded not guilty Tuesday as an extensive jury-selection process began.

Mohammad Shafia, his wife Tooba Mahommad Yahya and their son, Hamed, are each charged with four counts of first-degree murder.

On June 30, 2009, Rideau Canal staff discovered a car submerged at the upper lock gates at Kingston Mills with four bodies inside, later identified as the Shafias’ daughters — Zainab, 19, Sahar, 17, and Geeti, 13 — as well as Mohammad Shafia’s first wife, Rona Amir Mohammad, 50.

The trial could run eight to 12 weeks and there are 57 names on the list of potential witnesses.

The main courtroom in the historic Frontenac County Court House has been retrofitted with the latest technology to allow simultaneous translation of the proceedings from English to Farsi for the elder Shafias, who are from Afghanistan.

Translation will also be provided in French and Spanish
Seven days have been set aside for jury selection, with more than 1,000 people on call as potential jurors.

On Tuesday, eight were chosen from more than 90 people who were presented. Twelve jurors plus two designates need to be selected in total.

A number of the potential jurors were dismissed by presiding Ontario Superior Court Justice Robert Maranger for health reasons, because they had made previous travel plans or if they would experience economic hardship for being away from their work.

Others said they were hard of hearing and would have difficulty following the proceedings.

Several had child-care issues
[....].

They were also asked if they would have any biases because the accused come from Afghanistan and are Muslim.

The trial is officially set to start on Oct. 20 but could begin earlier if jury selection moves along more quickly than expected.

The selection was scheduled to continue Wednesday at 10 a.m.

The judge also announced he was boosting the pay for the trial.

Normally, jurors are not paid for the first 10 days of trial, receive $40 for each of the next 39 days and get $100 a day thereafter.

Maranger said because the trial was expected to run for such a long time, they would receive $40 a day immediately and then $100 starting on the 25th day.
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2011/10/12/18813751.html

We've heard about why they probably killed the first wife/cousin, and the eldest daughter, but not why they included the other younger daughters. I can only surmise they were sympathetic to their more rebellious female family members.

The concept of honor killing baffles me. I guess because they choose to call it "honor" and not "female sin". A guy can rape a woman, steal her from her family, rob a store, fornicate outside of marriage, kill someone, stray from the Koran, drink alcohol, and none of that is scar on the family honor? Hell, we even hear about men marrying the woman their father disapproves of, they still don't get killed for their disobedience. It seems that the "love" these parents feel for their daughters is pretty shallow, if not non-existent.

Also just have to interject here that the first wife probably was also a cousin. In many Middle Eastern cultures, the cousin marriage is considered the most desirable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage

Back