• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Forensicwx

Final Roll Call 4153. STLCO 10-42 10/13 @ 1519
Even people from foreign countries know Detroit is a shithole. Thanks for the story @Podargus

20pa2i8.jpg

When a Detroit mother called police to report her 9-year-old son missing on Wednesday, they didn’t have to look far: it turns out he was already in juvenile detention.

But mom Stephanie Horton is looking for answers because she didn’t find out about the boy’s whereabouts until the following day.....

She’s also pleading for help with her troubled child, who has been kicked out of school and arrested on home invasion charges....

Horton looked all over for her son after she returned from work Wednesday night and notified authorities of his absence, according to WDIV. Police had already booked him and a teenaged alleged accomplice for breaking into a vacant home in their northwest Detroit neighborhood, the TV station reported.

She didn’t know the boy was in custody because he couldn’t supply her phone number to authorities and nobody was home when cops knocked on her door on Wednesday,reports WJBK-TV.

Law enforcement authorities dropped the charges against her son because he is a minor and they released him on Thursday, according to WDIV.

But Horton hopes to get connected with services to help her steer him clear of some older roughs, who she says have led him astray.

The boy allegedly once stole a bicycle and covered a defenseless cat with gasoline before setting it afire, sources told WDIV. He and the 16-year-old arrested with him may also be connected with a second break-in in the neighborhood....

“I don't know if it's a gang, I just know that it's a group of individuals that he has no business being with,” Horton said.

“They're older. They're never in school. They're never doing anything, but they're out here robbing people, breaking into people's homes. I just want him to be away from it.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ported-missing-mom-arrested-article-1.2192571

So, she voluntarily wants her family name to be in the newspaper for this?! They can't print this classy behavior without her consent, correct?

Wow, she seems to have a bigger problem with the fact that the cops couldn't find her than the fact that she couldn't find her 9 YEAR OLD!

I have a 9 year old and guess what? It's my fucking job to know where he is and when, you know BE HIS PARENT. Christ what an unbelievable level of failure here.

I don't know if it's a gang, I just know that it's a group of individuals that he has no business being with,” Horton said.
“They're older. They're never in school. They're never doing anything, but they're out here robbing people, breaking into people's homes.

Sounds like a gang to me, even if they don't have a formal street gang name. Get a clue Mom.

“They're older. They're never in school. They're never doing anything, but they're out here robbing people, breaking into people's homes. I just want him to be away from it.”

Sounds to me like they are doing plenty.....

Sounds to me like a budding Psychopath, the next serial killer wannabe. Mama needs to get him into some kind of therapy and spend more time with him. I know you need to work but he doesn't need to be left alone, obviously, he's already proved that.

I guess I wasn't given kids for a reason..
Because I feel like a wanna punch that mother and kid in the head (fuckin little dickface ) ... he's probably bigger then me.
....maybe I can get away with it :crack:I can feel another big red x or a pile of shit coming :nana:

I have to be the bleeding heart here guys.

The kid is 9 yrs old! That's practically still a damn baby. My daughter is 9 yrs old and no, she hasn't been kicked out of school, nor does she enjoy lighting cats on fire BUT, she has a super fucking awesome mom.

I have a couple things going through my head here. 1 - mom obviously cares enough about the kid to call the cops when he doesn't come home. 2 - if he has been kicked out of school, the state should be providing options, like bad kid youth detention for him. 3 -

If you want to get him away from there, then you take him away from there!

For people living in poverty (like I think 98% of Detroit) getting away from there is almost impossible. I see little bad ass kids walking down the street in my neighborhood on occasion and you can tell some of them are just cursing to fit in with the others. 9 years old is certainly not too late for this kid. I just hope someone does help the mom.

My daughter is 9 yrs old and no, she hasn't been kicked out of school, nor does she enjoy lighting cats on fire BUT, she has a super fucking awesome mom.
I didn't blame the child, I place the blame on the mother. You said it yourself, as did I (my middle son is 9), I know mine is a good kid because of how he was raised.

The problem goes back to Mom and her lack of parenting which is showing up quick in this child, he's doing nothing more than what we read about with teenagers who are rebelling, he's just younger.

His mom has failed him, and it could be completely unintentional but it's still a level of failure because at 9 years old he's lighting cats on fire and committing crimes, something is wrong somewhere. She could very easily have to work long hours, not be able to afford to move, etc., but she clearly needs to make changes to save her son from his friends and himself.

Look at what she said, she wants the gov'mt to control her child who has been in trouble. You see it isn't HER fault, it is the gov'mts. The gov'mt should control the other children too. But when they try to take the childs away, The bad gov'mt try'n to git mah kideses. SMH. With the hood rats no one can win. They are the victims and the perpetrators of crime. You can never punish the victims (the little kid, as he is the victim of the older kids and seriously he IS too young to really know better). You try to do something to the mom, and she does not have anything, not even a job, so what does the government, aid agencies do? just throw more money at the mom? She will most likely use it for more drugs or beer. You can't lock the kid up. You can't punish the mom for the kids behavior, she most likely has no assets to try to seize for recompense. So the kid goes scott free until he is older and has more crimes again not his fault but everyone has told him by their actions that he is not responsible for his deeds. So he learns now that he can get away with anything. Is this not the inverse but direct correlation to the afflenzua? He is too poor to be punished?

It appears she does have a job, which she was at when he got into trouble?
Right, but if mom gets in trouble for neglect or whatever, she'll likely lose her job and have to go on the dole, at least I think that's what's being said.

Right, but if mom gets in trouble for neglect or whatever, she'll likely lose her job and have to go on the dole, at least I think that's what's being said.

I understood Mr Clayton to be blaming the kid's fucking up on the mother being a benefit scrounger?

I know mine is a good kid because of how he was raised.

Right. But what part do you think resources play in ones ability to raise their child well? Take away your husband. Any family or friends that have helped. Any child support you may have received. Imagine you make just enough to not qualify for any state support, and that the only place you can afford to live on that income is a terrible neighborhood. Oh, and for good measure, imagine yourself with a lower level of completed education.

Anyone who thinks their brand of parenting alone would stand up to those circumstances might be in for a rude awakening if I were Clarance the angel from It's a Wonderful Life and could poof them into that reality. Statistically, black, white, brown or otherwise, if you are a single, working parent lacking economic security and living in a neighborhood with a bunch of other people in the same boat, it is practically invariable that your child will engage in criminal activity to one degree or another. We all read Lord of the Flies, right? When a bunch of kids get together under a chronic lack of supervision, they certainly aren't marching down to the local homeless shelter to volunteer.

This child is 9 and clearly headed down a dangerous path, but it's not too late steer him back. I have no doubt that this mother would if she could. But she's got to work, and you can't lock a kid in the house. She is throwing her pride to the wind and making a public appeal for assistance.

This exact scenario, minus the public appeal, is playing out all across the nation, and we're just letting them twist in the wind. THE most reliable indicator of juvenile criminal activity is a fatherless home. And it's not because all these women are terrible parents. It's because it's nearly impossible to do it alone and get good results.

I understood Mr Clayton to be blaming the kid's fucking up on the mother being a benefit scrounger?
I wish I could puzzle it out, too. Coherence is not one of Mr Clayton's strong suits when he gets excited about a subject he feels strongly about.

But what part do you think resources play in ones ability to raise their child well? Take away your husband. Any family or friends that have helped. Any child support you may have received. Imagine you make just enough to not qualify for any state support, and that the only place you can afford to live on that income is a terrible neighborhood. Oh, and for good measure, imagine yourself with a lower level of completed education.
Then I can bring up my 14 year old. When he was younger, you just described our life. Today he's a freshman in high school, never been in any trouble, honor roll student, member of the track team, so on and so forth.

I brought up my child that was the same age as the one in this thread but I have an older son who is going to be 15 in less than 3 months, his father was out of his life for over a decade, no support, I worked on an ambulance and made too much for any public assistance, lived in Rochester, NY. Yes, I had an education then, my EMT certification, but my son also has Aspberger's, so maybe that's kind of a comparison wash-out with those two facts.

I'm not blaming her for having to work or trying to support her child(ren) but plenty of Moms have it pretty shitty and don't have kids at 9 years old setting cats on fire and being arrested for home invasions. And I think that comes back to a parenting failure somewhere, maybe trying to overcompensate for no father around and letting him get away with too much when he was younger and now he's running wild because she's not around and he could when he was say 4 so why not now?

Her son is starting early but we've read many stories of teens committing crimes and it comes back to their parents babying them when they were younger for whatever reason (no Dad/Mom around, because they can, special needs, etc.), it's the same thing here only her son is starting young.

I sort of hate to bring this up, @Krystal , as I am sure you have done an amazing job with you sons, but are you sure the situation is comparable? Wherever you have been living, was it as scuzzy as I get the impression Detroit is? And .... well .... you are not black. I realise that was not choice, but it does affect the choices available to you and your child(ren).

you sure the situation is comparable?
Spot on, no, but enough similarities to be able to say that she is shouldering blame in this. She is, the boy's father is. You don't have to have the mirror image of her life to know that your child at 9 years old shouldn't be setting cats on fire and committing crimes and to realize that if those things are occurring that changes need to be made within the family.

He's 9 years old an barring serious and severe mental illness causing his behavior, something made him the way he is right now. His parents are the ones who have had the responsibility of raising, teaching and molding him for those 9 years. Good, bad and ugly, it was their job and clearly there are failures there. Now, if he's a schizophrenic or has bipolar disorder then that puts a different light on things.

I wish I could puzzle it out, too. Coherence is not one of Mr Clayton's strong suits when he gets excited about a subject he feels strongly about.

I think he's talking about the general mindset of those who, rather than be accountable for themselves, feel the gov't needs to fix their problems for them.

Spot on, no, but enough similarities to be able to say that she is shouldering blame in this. She is, the boy's father is. You don't have to have the mirror image of her life to know that your child at 9 years old shouldn't be setting cats on fire and committing crimes and to realize that if those things are occurring that changes need to be made within the family.

He's 9 years old an barring serious and severe mental illness causing his behavior, something made him the way he is right now. His parents are the ones who have had the responsibility of raising, teaching and molding him for those 9 years. Good, bad and ugly, it was their job and clearly there are failures there. Now, if he's a schizophrenic or has bipolar disorder then that puts a different light on things.

Except, that could be completely inaccurate.

Few people appreciate the sheer power of peer influence. Even the most stable, value-based parenting can be undone by a group of shitty friends. There are stories all over the internet about good kids lost to toxic friends. Dozens upon dozens of articles giving advice on how to successfully distance your child from toxic friends (and none of it is even remotely foolproof). This one describes the varieties of bad influences - "The Unhygienic Kid," "The Hanger-On", "The Little-You-Know-What"...

Those are the "first-world problems" variety of bad influences. You don't see "The Sociopath," "The Crip," or "The Animal Abuser," on that list. And when your kid is surrounded by these kids, there isn't a single change you can make in your own home that combats it.

I know first-hand. I watched my sister go from a softball player with decent grades to a meth dabbler who flunked her freshman year in no time flat. My parents, one of whom was a stay-at-home-mother, were doing everything they could. Groundation, regular room searches, eventually counseling... Nothing worked. Unless you can remove that child from the environment that is poisoning them, you're screwed. I was fresh and my husband was on board, so we took custody. Tried to keep her in the same school to lessen the impact, still fights. Still getting picked up by the cops. Still suspected drug use. No matter what I did.

So I moved her out of district. Forced her to make new friends. And just like that, grades shot back up, no more fights, no more drug use... she went on to graduate with an actual diploma. I can't even begin to take full credit for that, because I knew my success with her was at the mercy of the quality of friends she fell in with at the new school. I got lucky.

And I watched it happen to more than a few kids whose parents didn't get lucky.

I think he's talking about the general mindset of those who, rather than be accountable for themselves, feel the gov't needs to fix their problems for them.
That's what I figured, but the line about her being unemployed took it from speculation about her mindset to a generalisation. Yes, the mom is not doing a good parenting job, she's likely on some sort of aid if she has more than one child as a single mother in Detroit, and she does seem to think that the powers that be should be helping her child instead of taking on the responsibility herself, but she seems to be at least somewhat aware that she's failing, even if she refuses to see that it's her fault.

She is hoping to be connected with "services". She neither blamed the government for her situation nor did she insist they correct it for her. "Services" that assist parents in this capacity are often provided by private non-profits, local community centers and such. There is no report of her having any other children, or being on assistance of any kind...

Clayton's mindless rant was the stereotypical mating call of the out-of-touch, middle-aged white male. He called this caring, employed mother a "hood rat". I'm forced to assume he doesn't actually know what that means. :rolleyes:

The boy allegedly once stole a bicycle and covered a defenseless cat with gasoline before setting it afire, sources told WDIV. He and the 16-year-old arrested with him may also be connected with a second break-in in the neighborhood....

Was this a feral cat by any chance?
:hilarious:

I
Thank you, and yes It was poorly written out. I blame the meds today. I made several long rants after that and thankfully deleted them before I posted. I took from the article several things, 1) Detroit-The stereotype. 2) She is indeed working. BUT she has a troubled child and (assuming from the lack of information) that she did not make any arrangements for someone responsible to watch over the child during her absence from the home allowing him further access to the "older kids". Is it her responsibility or the "services" that should curtail his behavior? He is also a child that is not in school evidently as he was expelled for unknown behavior there. If this woman cannot keep her child in some type of supervised environment and he is too young to be prosecuted for his crimes, he will continue to run roughshod over the entire neighborhood because he can. I hope this post clears up any misunderstandings in my earlier post. Thank you.

Right. But what part do you think resources play in ones ability to raise their child well? Take away your husband. Any family or friends that have helped. Any child support you may have received. Imagine you make just enough to not qualify for any state support, and that the only place you can afford to live on that income is a terrible neighborhood. Oh, and for good measure, imagine yourself with a lower level of completed education.

Anyone who thinks their brand of parenting alone would stand up to those circumstances might be in for a rude awakening if I were Clarance the angel from It's a Wonderful Life and could poof them into that reality. Statistically, black, white, brown or otherwise, if you are a single, working parent lacking economic security and living in a neighborhood with a bunch of other people in the same boat, it is practically invariable that your child will engage in criminal activity to one degree or another. We all read Lord of the Flies, right? When a bunch of kids get together under a chronic lack of supervision, they certainly aren't marching down to the local homeless shelter to volunteer.

This child is 9 and clearly headed down a dangerous path, but it's not too late steer him back. I have no doubt that this mother would if she could. But she's got to work, and you can't lock a kid in the house. She is throwing her pride to the wind and making a public appeal for assistance.

This exact scenario, minus the public appeal, is playing out all across the nation, and we're just letting them twist in the wind. THE most reliable indicator of juvenile criminal activity is a fatherless home. And it's not because all these women are terrible parents. It's because it's nearly impossible to do it alone and get good results.
Athena---I will post this to show that a hood rat does not have to be in a black neighborhood.

I grew up the last of 6 kids to a mother that had been twice divorced by the time I came along. My father divorced her when I was in preschool. A brother had these crimes before he was 13: Burglary, robbery, assault, sexual assault, rape, child abuse, animal abuse and several others I can't think of right now. He was charged with actual burglary and robbery and the sexual assault and went to reform school when he was 14. (I was one of his victims) He stayed in the reform school for just over 18 months or so. Then he came right back to the home. My parents let him stay at their homes off and on until my mom passed away and my father let him stay at his house until about a few years ago. Unless this child gets some professional help, he will follow the path my brother took which involves spending the majority of his life in some type of lockdown, be it prison or mental institution. The kid is already showing 2 of the MacDonald triad, he might show the third, but it isn't reported. (BTW, my brother had all three). I am serious though about the afflenuza though, if the mother does not show any ability to punish him, and he continues to commit crimes isnt that the same rationale that doctor claimed for Eric. (you know Eric...)

Athena---I will post this to show that a hood rat does not have to be in a black neighborhood.

I grew up the last of 6 kids to a mother that had been twice divorced by the time I came along. My father divorced her when I was in preschool. A brother had these crimes before he was 13: Burglary, robbery, assault, sexual assault, rape, child abuse, animal abuse and several others I can't think of right now. He was charged with actual burglary and robbery and the sexual assault and went to reform school when he was 14. (I was one of his victims) He stayed in the reform school for just over 18 months or so. Then he came right back to the home. My parents let him stay at their homes off and on until my mom passed away and my father let him stay at his house until about a few years ago. Unless this child gets some professional help, he will follow the path my brother took which involves spending the majority of his life in some type of lockdown, be it prison or mental institution. The kid is already showing 2 of the MacDonald triad, he might show the third, but it isn't reported. (BTW, my brother had all three). I am serious though about the afflenuza though, if the mother does not show any ability to punish him, and he continues to commit crimes isnt that the same rationale that doctor claimed for Eric. (you know Eric...)

Not to belittle your experiences in the least, but this also has nothing to do with "hood rat". Just for the sake of clarity, a hood rat is a woman of particularly low socioeconomic station who is promiscuous and/or (usually and) engages in scandalous behavior for the sake of ghetto social status. And they are urban. You might find similar traits in a rural woman, but she's got some other slur associated with her that I'm not familiar with. Trollop, perhaps? I've lived in the city my whole life, lol.

I wholeheartedly agree with you in regard to the path this child will take if no intervention can be found. However, there's nothing the state can do through the judicial system at this point. The minimum age of criminal responsibility in Michigan is 14. They can't criminally prosecute a 9-year-old. That is surely one of many reasons this mother is crying out for help. A parent only has the ability to punish a kid like this when they're home. A kid like this isn't going to sit quietly in his room until mom gets home because mom said he's grounded. So what can she do? She's asking for help. THAT is what she can do.

The kid broke into the vacant ("home invasion" my ass) home with a 16-year-old, for christ's sake. This kid's learning things from that kid that no 9-year-old should know. She can't say for sure it's gangs, but why the hell else is a 16-year-old hanging with a 9-year-old? It's typical grooming activity in gangland, U.S.A. And so, so many well-meaning, good families lose kids to that shit. I grew up with one. A mixed boy born to a white mother. Dad took off early on. They lived down the street from us. Great kid. Marcus was his name, and he was friends with my little sister. Studious, polite, considerate, grew up in a safe neighborhood... You wouldn't imagine the shock on my face when, years later, he walked into my household for a Super Bowl party she had invited to a Hoover Crip, covered in tats with a blue rag hanging from his back pocket. Kids start hanging with the wrong crowd, and everything you worked for falls apart.

And the "affluenza" ruling wasn't just about the lack of consequences the child faced. It was about his parents actively indulging him. Not simply that no one was around to stop or punish him, but parents who would bail him out and facilitate his bad behavior when he was busted. That's different from what this mom is going through.

Nature Vs. Nurture. And some of you are taking an overly polarized stance without regard to the overlapping grey areas.

Back