• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Riley said the parts were found on a grate about 50 feet down.

"They were not skeletal. Exactly what they are I can't tell you a this point, but from the description of what they are they definitely appear to be human and they don't appear to have been there a tremendously long time," he said.

A tattoo was spotted on one of the parts and the Medical Examiner’s office is working to piece it together.

A photo has been provided to the media.
[...]

Talking to WWJ's Pat Sweeting at the scene, Gene Schabath, Deputy Public Works Commissioner for Macomb County, said there appeared to be numerous "small parts" measuring about 6 inches long.

"Between 10 and 15 (parts), and they don't know where they came from. I mean, in terms of the body, arm, leg or whatever," Schabath said
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/08/15/police-body-parts-found-in-sterling-heights-sewer/

The sewer line itself is 21 miles long, stretching from Detroit to Oakland County. Since the sewer water has flowed southwest in the last 24 hours, officials believe they could have been dumped in one of several hundred manhole covers located northeast of the site. Workers assigned to the sewer have been have been descending daily -- nobody saw the parts yesterday, the paper says.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...terling-heights-michigan-sewer_n_1783553.html

The "tattoo" pieces:
EKiLZNc.jpg

Police Release Images Of Body Parts Found in Sterling Heights Sewer

STERLING HEIGHTS, Mich. -
A crew repairing a sanitary sewer in Sterling Heights have discovered what appear to be human body parts.

Sterling Heights Police Lt. Luke Riley describes the parts as a dozen "small pieces." Contractors found them after shutting off two sewer lines Wednesday morning to drain water from the pipe so they could perform repairs.
The remains got caught on a metal grate, which workers were using for their repair operations 50 feet below the surface.

Macomb County Public Works Commissioners Anthony Marrocco says some of the remains have tattoos. Police hope images of the parts with tattoos can help identify the body.

[,,,]
The 21-mile-long line begins in the Clarkston area and runs south to the Detroit River.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ttoo/-/1719418/16135036/-/48w4yx/-/index.html

images

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/-/1719418/16141900/-/terp7wz/-/index.html

That seriously looks like skin...not sure if I'd call it body parts though...I wonder if there was more found and those were the least gross looking to show.

Can you imagine the family of this poor person?? Checking out the news and seeing cut off skin from their loved one. Great way to find out your family member is dead :frown:

Thats cleaned up by police before they released them
I watched lastnight as they took them to tattoo artists and he kinda pieced together like a puzzle

The tattoo on body parts found last week in a sanitary sewer line in Sterling Heights may be 15 to 20 years old and is starting to blur, tattoo experts told Sterling Heights police.

Police have been working to determine whom the body parts belong to since they were found Wednesday under 15 Mile Road when crews were clearing a platform in the line as part of preparation for repair work. The 21-mile line stretches from Oakland County to Detroit.

Police don’t have much to go on — the 10 softball-size body parts belong to a Caucasian, but they don’t know if the person is male or female or the person’s age, Police Lt. Luke Riley said.

Many of the body parts had part of a tattoo on them, but it’s unclear what part of the body the tattoo may have appeared.

Riley said cuts to the body parts appear to be made with a sharp object, but the type of object is unknown. There were no skeletal remains.

Police have been scouring missing persons reports and following up on calls in an attempt to identify the victim. They have not found anything substantial.
[...]
http://www.freep.com/article/201208...ears-old-experts-tell-police?odyssey=nav|head

Thats cleaned up by police before they released them
I watched lastnight as they took them to tattoo artists and he kinda pieced together like a puzzle

Did he have any suggestions as to what it would have been before it was cut up? Is it known flash?

Tattooed body parts found in a sewer line in Sterling Heights in August are those of a Caucasian female with a large build, police said Monday.

The new information comes from examination of DNA samples from the parts that were submitted to the University of North Texas Center for Human Identification, Department of Forensics and Investigative Genetics and the Macomb County Medical Examiner's Office.

The Texas lab determined the remains belonged to a woman. The other information came from the Medical Examiner's Office.

Police previously said the tattoos may be 15-20 years old.
[...]

Authorities said the parts likely were dumped upstream and floated down in wastewater. Based on their condition, the parts likely were not in the line for long, Sterling Heights Police Lt. Luke Riley previously said.

Police said the DNA results will be entered in a state and federal DNA index system where they will be periodically checked for possible identification.
http://www.freep.com/article/201211...-Caucasian-female-with-large-build-police-say

Body parts found in sewer again
Sewer contractors working in the Oakland Macomb Interceptor found two small, fleshy body parts Thursday morning near 10 Mile and Schoenherr roads in Warren, a source told The Macomb Daily.

The parts were found in the sanitary sewer, about 85 below the surface of the ITC Corridor, shortly after 8 a.m.

The workers, employed by Inland Waters, made the gruesome discovery as they prepared to continue a project sealing cracks in the 12-foot, 9-inch diameter sewer.

The sanitary flow in the massive, 21-mile-long sewer usually is approximately six to seven feet deep. Upstream gates were shut at 5:30 a.m. to gradually reduce the flow to enable workers to enter the sewer through a manhole and to reach a metal staging platform positioned about four feet above the bottom of the pipe.

The body parts, estimated by a source as 4 square inches in size and Caucasian, had snagged on the metal staging platform. The pieces were taken to the Macomb County Medical Examiner’s Office for examination.

On Aug. 15, an Inland Waters crew made a similar discovery in the sewer under 15 Mile Road at Maple Lane in Sterling Heights.
http://www.macombdaily.com/article/20121220/NEWS01/121229989/body-parts-found-in-sewer-again

Do you reckon a serial killer is operating somewhere up there and is freezing his victim putting them thru a meat grinder and then pouring the results down a sewer opening somewhere. I used to have a city sewer head in my back yard, all I would have had to do was pry the top off and pour whatever I wanted into it. I also had a opening for the runoff of a street drain in my back yard too. That was so easy to get into we had to have the top on it cemented down cause the kids were opening it and playing in it all the time. Other than that I can't imagine how random bits of people keep getting down in the sewers.

Yet again:
For the third time in just over a year, body parts have been found in a sewer line in Michigan's Macomb County.

They were found at about 8:15 a.m. Wednesday on a grate in the sewer line in a Sterling Heights power line corridor by workers making repairs to the sewer system, Sterling Heights police said Thursday.

The body parts could be medical waste improperly disposed of via the sewer system at an unknown location, police said.

The body parts found Wednesday are from a Caucasian. There were three pieces of fatty tissue and skin with no markings on them, police Lt. Kevin Reese said.

They are very similar in size and appearance to body parts found last year less than a quarter-mile away in Sterling Heights and later in Warren. As with the other incidents, no vital organs or appendages were discovered, police said.

The body parts were turned over to the Macomb County Medical Examiner's Office. DNA samples will be submitted for additional testing, including to determine gender.

Parts found in Sterling Heights in August 2012 and in Warren in December were found to be from white women.
[...]

Authorities haven't been able to identify whom the body parts belong to and now are "back in the same boat again" with the latest find.

"You can see where our frustration comes in," Reese said. "(The body parts) are small enough to be flushed down the toilet."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-body-parts-found-in-mich-sewer-line/2879915/

I still think they got a serial killer that likes to grind up his victims and flush 'em! It could happen!

Wouldn't be the first time someone flushed their victims. We need more originality in so many things these days!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Nilsen

Dennis Andrew Nilsen (born 23 November 1945) is a serial killer and necrophiliac, also known as the Muswell Hill Murderer and the Kindly Killer,who committed the murders of 15 young men in London, England, between 1978 and 1983. He retained his victims' bodies for extended periods of time before dissecting their remains and disposing of them via burning or flushing the remains down a lavatory

Dennis Nilsen is exactly who I was thinking of when I wrote that. See, it could happen and has!

This is such an awesome story. I was thinking about it again and did a search(both here and google) to see if anything new has popped up, nope. So fucking creepy.

Ya gotta wonder how much was put into the sewer system. It was mere shocking coincidence that this crew happened upon the small amounts they found. You know this wasn't the only bit someone flushed on down.

Or was it. Maybe some killer has women tied up in his basement with chunks cut out of em right now. Could be.

If it is a serial killer situation, how many has he done over the years. How many has he done since?

Anyways, just had to bump this olllddd thread, too good a story and i had to get my thoughts out on it. Fuck what a mystery. People get hung up on the jon benet ramsey case or jack the ripper, this here is a more interesting one to me. Fuck what's goin on with these bits of flesh!?

What's most interesting and scary is that they haven't found the flusher or the flushee, he/she/it is still out there.

Do you reckon a serial killer is operating somewhere up there and is freezing his victim putting them thru a meat grinder and then pouring the results down a sewer opening somewhere. I used to have a city sewer head in my back yard, all I would have had to do was pry the top off and pour whatever I wanted into it. I also had a opening for the runoff of a street drain in my back yard too. That was so easy to get into we had to have the top on it cemented down cause the kids were opening it and playing in it all the time. Other than that I can't imagine how random bits of people keep getting down in the sewers.
a meat grinder wouldn't turn out parts like this skinning the person and cutting up the skin would these are huge sized pieces

There might not foul play- when I was a kid in Oklahoma, a woman's dog kept bringing home pieces of people from a big ass field by the housing development- obviously upset by this, she called the cops- I don't remember all the details, but some company that supplies cadavers and such to med schools went out if business, and instead of paying the money to propey dispose of the "specimens" or whatever you call that, they just dumped all the stuff in a field and called it good.

There might not foul play- when I was a kid in Oklahoma, a woman's dog kept bringing home pieces of people from a big ass field by the housing development- obviously upset by this, she called the cops- I don't remember all the details, but some company that supplies cadavers and such to med schools went out if business, and instead of paying the money to propey dispose of the "specimens" or whatever you call that, they just dumped all the stuff in a field and called it good.

Yeah one of the articles said this was a possibility, that it could be medical waste being improperly disposed of, although it quotted an investigator as saying it's highly unlikely or something to that effect.

My questions though is if this is merely someone disposing of some remains lazily, why would a funeral home or hospital or whoever else deals with human remains ever have such finely cut pieces of human tissue? What reason could there be for that tissue to be removed in the first place? The one picture shows an entire tattoo was cut out, which screams to me someone trying to remove an identifiable feature from a body. And if someone was taking it upon themselves to cut apart bodies into tiny pieces to flush them away, are they grinding up the bones and flushing those as well? How exactly would it save money to utilize the flusher method unless they're somehow dispoing of entire corpses. Seems incredibly time consuming and not worth the effort for someone just out to save a buck.

Plus i'd think they'd investigate any nearby funeral homes or places with access to dead bodies to check out this possibility. Any nearby ones that went out of business would surely be high on the radar. I wouldn't think this type of thing would be the easiest to cover up.

Jack, you're absolutely right, I wasn't aware that this possibility was considered and rejected by the relevant authorities in Michigan- to be honest with you, I just kinda wanted to tell that story cause it really freaked me out when I was a kid! I hadn't even thought about the tattoo being removed to make the body harder to ID, good call!

Back