• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

BostonBurns

Insufferable Bastard
Bold Member!
This isn't big news by DD standards, but the kid was my neighbor growing up in Boston, and our families still live across the street from each other. There was talk of a video of the shooting, but I'm not sure if it's been released at this time.
highly decorated Boston police officer was fighting for his life Saturday after being shot in the face "assassination-style" by a violent career criminal, authorities said.

Officer John Moynihan, 34, was shot point-blank below the right eye by suspect Angelo West, 41, who emptied his revolver at cops during a routine traffic stop in the city’s Roxbury neighborhood Friday
Moynihan, a former Army Ranger who served in Iraq, was taken to Boston Medical Center, where he is in a medically induced coma with a bullet still lodged behind his right ear.

The critically injured cop is undergoing tests and being monitored for bleeding in his brain.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/boston-shot-face-traffic-stop-reports-article-1.2165184
4OkwKm6.jpg

dSJGiun.jpg

I hope the policeman pulls through. It would suck to make it through the fighting in Iraq to be killed by a two bit AssHat crook in your hometown.

But at least there won't be any trial money or other resourses wasted on the AssHat. Yay!

It's big news by my standards, BB - I'm praying for his recovery. What in that asshole's car was so bad that he "emptied his revolver at cops during a routine traffic stop in the city’s Roxbury neighborhood". I thought I read that suspect was killed, is that right? I hope it's true, no second chances when you shoot a cop.

omg, look at your avatar Lori! Someone just pointed it out to me in another thread - so cute!
I don wanna change my avie to Satan but should so you can see the beast. His tail is like a cougars and his disposition is bizarre. He wants to be held and cuddled and attacks you went you toss him off because he is so damn heavy!

So shitty, @BostonBurns , damn. :( Lives through Iraq then this after a routine traffic stop. Ffssmh. I'd love to get a look at this low-life, pos', career f**khead rap sheet. I can't help but wonder if the legal system helped put him back on the street.

If you're in contact with his fam. at any time, please let them know there are a lot of folks out here across the nation who're thinking good, healing thoughts and sending them love and support from across the miles. Crossing my fingers he makes it, too, and with a decent quality of life. <3

Last edited:
Decorated Boston cop in coma after being shot in face
BOSTON (AP) - A decorated Boston police officer remained in a medically induced coma Saturday, a night after he was shot in the face by a man with several gun convictions during a traffic stop that ended when other officers fatally shot his attacker, the city's police commissioner said.

Officer John Moynihan, 34, was struck just below his right eye, and the bullet remains lodged below his right ear, Commissioner William Evans said. He was listed in critical condition,

Evans said Moynihan is undergoing tests and is being monitored for bleeding in his brain. "We are hoping and praying there's not further damage," Evans said.

"He's a fighter. I am sure he's going to pull through," the commissioner said.

Moynihan and five other gang task force members, traveling in two cars, stopped a car Friday night in the city's Roxbury neighborhood after reports of shots fired, Evans said.

The commissioner said the officers had blue lights flashing but none had pulled out their weapons. He said video from the scene shows Moynihan approaching the driver's door, and the suspect, Angelo West, 41, suddenly pull a gun and shoot him at point-blank range.

Evans said West continued firing at the other officers as he tried to run away, emptying his .357 Magnum handgun, and was killed at the scene when police returned fire. A woman driving by in a car suffered a flesh wound; she is recovering and was in good spirits, Evans said. Three other officers were taken to a hospital with stress-related problems.

West had a violent criminal past with several prior gun convictions, Evans said. He fired on police in a 2001 incident, with officers saying they narrowly avoided being shot as they wrestled the gun from him, prosecutors said. They said West told them he didn't care if they shot him.

West was convicted of two counts of armed assault with intent to murder and firearms charges in that incident. He was sentenced to seven to ten years in state prison, said Jake Wark, a spokesman for the Suffolk County district attorney's office. He got off probation in August for his third conviction for illegal possession of a firearm, according to court documents.

Mayor Marty Walsh said Moynihan and the other victim from Friday's shooting are in his prayers.

"I have spoken with Officer Moynihan's family and Commissioner Evans and I am hopeful that under the experienced and talented team at Boston Medical Center the officer will continue on a strong path to recovery," Walsh said.

Moynihan is on the police Youth Violence Task Force and is a highly decorated military veteran, Evans said.

He is a former Army Ranger who served in Iraq in 2006-2007 and was honored at the White House in May with the National Association of Police Organizations TOP COPS award. Moynihan received the award for being one of the first responders in Watertown following the April 2013 gunbattle with the Boston Marathon bombers.

Moynihan had helped transit police Officer Richard Donohue, who was shot in the leg and nearly bled to death when police tried to apprehend Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, Lieutenant Michael McCarthy said.

Evans said Moynihan is single, and his girlfriend, sister and other relatives were at the hospital along with clergy members.

Two other people in the car with West have not been charged in the shooting, Evans said, but are held on unrelated outstanding charges.

District Attorney Daniel Conley said the top prosecutor from his office will investigate the killing of West as state law requires and it will be "completely transparent."

Such shootings are rare in Boston, but firearms are a major concern in the city, the commissioner said.

A clergymen and anti-violence leader, the Rev. Mark Scott of the Azusa Christian Community, said he is praying for Moynihan and his family, and for a neighborhood that has been plagued by violence.

"There is much work that people have done with the police that has made our community a lot safer," he said.

West was convicted of two counts of armed assault with intent to murder and firearms charges in that incident. He was sentenced to seven to ten years in state prison, said Jake Wark, a spokesman for the Suffolk County district attorney's office. He got off probation in August for his third conviction for illegal possession of a firearm, according to court documents.

Thanks @Cameray . That's what I was waiting for... :(

@BostonBurns glad to hear your buddy is gonna pull through:)

BOSTON — A decorated Boston police officer shot point-blank in the face by a suspect was in stable condition at a hospital Sunday and improving after surgery to remove a bullet lodged below his ear, police said.

Officer John Moynihan, 34, underwent several hours of surgery at Boston Medical Center, where he was upgraded from critical condition after he was shot Friday night. After the shooting, doctors put him in a medically induced coma so they could monitor him for bleeding in his brain.

Police Commissioner William Evans said Moynihan is expected to be moved from intensive care within days and make a full recovery.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...urgery-to-remove-bullet/ar-AAabhxg?ocid=HPDHP

Reverend Scott was a great man for them to interview. He was extremely well-spoken and truthful. He didn't sugar coat anything to appease the masses, he laid it right out there: the suspect was the aggressor and the police responded appropriately.

@BostonBurns , I agree it was very refreshing to see/hear.

This guy looks like he might be kind of a prick on the job. Glad he's on some anti-drug task force and not out patrolling traffic, def looks like the type to bust you for going 5 over or neglect to give just a warning for a bad headlight.

Hope his face isn't too mangled though, seems like a good man, all appearances aside.

This guy looks like he might be kind of a prick on the job. Glad he's on some anti-drug task force and not out patrolling traffic, def looks like the type to bust you for going 5 over or neglect to give just a warning for a bad headlight.

Hope his face isn't too mangled though, seems like a good man, all appearances aside.

You little troll! What color jewel you sporting on the belly button? You playing for the pink team?

I still don't see the 'muzzle flash" - I know it happened, but I can't see if the cop is in the street or the sidewalk; the shooter (I think) was shot too....all I can make out is 2 cop cars with flashing lights pulling over a car, then I see some people on the sidewalk. It's surveillance video so not the best quality, but thank God the cop wasn't the bad guy in this case.

DA: Video of Boston officer shot 'speaks for itself
The shocking video released today of a Boston gang unit officer being shot point-blank in the face "speaks for itself," Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley said today.

The footage shows Officer John T. Moynihan, 34, being shot just below his eye last month by Angelo West, 41, who was killed in the aftermath.

Boston Police Commissioner William Evans said the officer and his family have seen the video.

"He realizes he's real lucky to be talking about it," Evans said of Moynihan. "He's a very lucky man."

He also said he's "remarkably doing well" and will be released from the hospital in the next few days.

Moynihan is a decorated Army veteran of Iraq, and was also honored for his role in the Watertown gun battle with the Tsanaev brothers before dawn on April 19, 2013, in the days after the Boston Marathon bombing.

On March 27, a Friday night, Moynihan was taking part in stopping a vehicle after a report of shots fired on Humboldt Avenue in Roxbury, when he was shot in the face by the driver, identified as West. West was then killed in an exchange of fire with other officers.

Police have said it was an unprovoked shooting, and the officers didn't even have their guns drawn as the approached the car. West had served time after opening fire on a pair of police officers in the Theater District in 2001.

As the video shows, Moynihan walked up to the car with no gun drawn and you see West come out with a gun in his hand and immediately fire at the officer's face.

Evans said at today's unveiling of the video at the DA's office that the footage shows Moynihan is "strong and brave."

"We're just thankful he's alive," Evans added.

Conley said of releasing the video today: "Not releasing it would be to withhold it unnecessarily from the very public we serve." He added the release is meant to quell rumors that "inflame, not inform."

Members of the media winced as Boston police officials played grainy images of Moynihan's shooting, which took place moments after he approached the driver's side of West's car.

Law enforcement and civil rights leaders at the press conference stressed the importance of transparency in investigations like the Moynihan's shooting.

"Not all cases that we investigate come with video evidence. Not all video evidence illuminates the public understanding of what happened and why," Conley said. "But in those instances in which video evidence can inform the public as to what happened and why, it is in everyone's best interest to share that information as soon as possible in order to tamp down speculation and rumors meant to inflame, not to inform."

Conley said the investigation is ongoing, and did not say how long it would take.

"This is an exacting process that we will not rush," he said.

The Rev. Mark Scott of the Azusa Christian Community in Dorchester praised law officials for releasing the video, saying "the more transparency, the faster we can heal."

Boston Cop Shot in Face Released From Hospital
Boston Police Officer John T. Moynihan has been released from the hospital after he was shot in the face in late March, the Boston Police Department confirms.

According to the department, Moynihan's condition is best described as "serious but improving." Moynihan credits the quick reaction of the other officers on scene with saving his life.

"John and his family have been strengthened, humbled and inspired by the outpouring of love and support they've received - not only from his closest friends and fellow officers - but also from concerned citizens and strangers from all over the country wishing him a full and speedy recovery," the Boston Police Department added in a statement.

Back