• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
You can read the whole story from day one in order here
Debra Evans
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/keyword/debra-evans

23vfb6x.jpg
Fetal abduction
Deborah Evans was murdered in her apartment in Addison, Illinois. Jacqueline Williams, her boyfriend Fedell Caffey, and her cousin Lavern Ward went into the woman’s home and shot Evans in the head. She had three children and was pregnant with a fourth. Two of Evans' children were murdered along with their mother. Evans' murderers then proceeded to cut through her womb with scissors and remove the fetus. One of the children, a baby boy, survived, as did the fetus. The three murderers were caught and sentenced to life in prison
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_abduction
Addison Murder Suspects Indicted
Robbery Charges Added By Grand Jury
December 13, 1995
The list of charges faced by the three people accused of killing a pregnant Addison mother and her two children grew longer Tuesday
[..]
Joseph Birkett, DuPage County's chief prosecutor, said he added the robbery charge because a jacket and a portable stereo were taken from the North Swift Road apartment where Debra Evans was shot and her full-term baby cut live from her womb. Evans' 10-year-old daughter, Samantha, was stabbed to death with broken-handled scissors that night, and her son Joshua, 7, was abducted and killed the following day.
[....]
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1995-12-13/news/9512130132_1_wheaton-debra-evans-fbi-crime-lab

Former witness in '95 slayings to be asked about drug claims
March 02, 2004.
A DuPage County judge will allow the defense attorney for a man convicted of the 1995 murder of Debra Evans and two of her children to question a former witness in the case about his comments on alleged drug use by county officials.

Judge Peter Dockery granted a motion Monday by Richard Kling, attorney for Fedell Caffey, to take a deposition of Dwight Pruitt. Pruitt testified in Caffey's trial that Debra Evans' son, Joshua, stayed at his Villa Park-area apartment the night before he was killed.[...]
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2004-03-02/news/0403020106_1_drug-claims-deposition-attorney
2rdgq5l.jpg
Debra and Samantha​
11ui7b7.jpg
Joshua Evans​
1zr0svl.jpg
Jordan was spared​

Grandfather Raising Boys Out Of Tragedy
March 09, 1998
BRIDGEPORT, Ill. — Elijah Evans was brought into the world as his mother was taken from it in a death so violent it stretches the perceptions of human viciousness.
But now he is nearly 250 miles away and more than two years from that beginning, living in the country on what was a hog farm about 14 miles east of Downstate Lawrenceville.
He sleeps in his own bed. His big brother, uncle and grandpa sleep a few feet away. He is surrounded by family photos on the walls, toys and videos. His aunt and three cousins live next door. On a shelf behind a box is his great-grandfather's painting of Jesus' resurrection. In the barn is an appaloosa named Pistol Pete and 17 acres of his grandpa's land to explore.
He is too young to comprehend his history. But those who do know the cataclysmic events that put him in this pastoral setting--the events his maternal grandfather, Sam Evans, wrestles with daily--will hear them unfold again Tuesday, when opening statements are scheduled in the trial of Jacqueline Annette Williams, the first of three people charged with Debra Evans' slaying.
Elijah Evans' birthday is Nov. 16, 1995, the day he was cut from his mother's womb in the attack that killed her. His older sister was stabbed to death in her pajamas in the family's Addison apartment during the attack. An older brother was abducted, stabbed to death and dumped in an alley the next day. His only living sibling, older brother Jordan, was found splattered with blood but unharmed in the apartment.
His father, Lavern Ward, 26, of Wheaton, is one of the three charged in the crimes.
"There'll be a day when I have to tell him," said Sam Evans, who is raising "Eli" and Jordan, "but not today, not today."
Day to day is all Sam Evans can cope with, and even that gets overwhelming.
"Sometimes, yeah," he said, nodding his head of shoulder-length graying blond hair. Evans, a stout man who favors T-shirts with images of country/western performers, jeans and sneakers, is a soft-spoken 49-year-old Vietnam War veteran who teaches sociology and truck-driving part-time at Wabash Valley Community College in nearby Mt. Carmel.
When the boys came to live with him, Evans returned to church after many years. He began attending New Hope Christian Church in Bridgeport with his grandsons. In February, he sat down with his new pastor, David Stevenson, for nearly an hour, talking about the financial strain and his need for a church family for spiritual and emotional support.
The 150 or so parishioners will shower them with compassion and give them security, Stevenson added. Sam Evans, however, is experiencing enormous grief, Stevenson said.
"This is something that he'll never get over," Stevenson added. "I know it's had to change him in a lot of different ways, but Sam is strong enough and determined enough where he'll be fine. He'll be fine."
[...]
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1998-03-09/news/9803090204_1_debra-evans-living-older-brother
wmm3ia.jpg
Debras dad Sam Evans raised the boys Jordan and Eli​
Baby cut from mother's womb;16 years later
November 16, 1995, Debra Evans - who was 28 years old and pregnant with her fourth child, was shot and stabbed to death in her apartment in west suburban Addison. Also killed were her two children Samantha and Joshua.
Her 22 month old son Jordan was spared by three the killers who then used a pair of shears to cut the un-born baby from her womb. The killers took the baby, but he was quickly rescued when police tracked them down a few hours later.
The baby survived - and 16 years later he is a smart, strong and ambitious teenager.
"I mean I’m known as a sports guy. Who I am, how I treat people,â€￾ says Eli Evans. “My main goal is to go to the NFL, people say it can't be done, I'm the type of person [that] make me wanna do it even more."
Eli and his brother Jordan were raised by their grandfather, Sam Evans, Debra's father.
“What came out of the whole thing is that Eli lived, Jordan lived,â€￾ says Sam Evans. “Living for their mom and sister and brother. That will continue the rest of their lives."
The boys have had no contact with their father Levern Ward. One of the three people convicted for the killings, all serving life in prison.
"I was taught to forgive,â€￾ says Eli Evans. “Maybe he has felt sorry for what he's done."
“When I was a rookie reporter I was just starting out in Chicago,â€￾ says Chicago Tribune Reporter Christy Gutowski. “I was one of the many reporters who covered this story, and it's just one of those you never forget and I was always wondering how this boy was doing."
In preparing for the story, Gutowski spent three days with Eli's family.
"So he's very typical in many respects but in other ways he's very aware that his story,â€￾ says Gutowski. “At 16, he's still trying to figure it all out."
[..]
http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-baby-cut-from-mothers-womb-16-years-later-20111217,0,4201132.story

Elijah
339oniv.jpg

1h3y94.jpg

66j2bs.jpg

30dcriv.jpg
Eli and his brother Jordan​

Last edited:
I remember reading this book years ago. It was the first case I'd heard about of a woman being killed for her unborn baby. It's nice to see an updated on how he's doing. Thanks for posting this.

I remember reading this book years ago. It was the first case I'd heard about of a woman being killed for her unborn baby. It's nice to see an updated on how he's doing. Thanks for posting this.

Your welcome I was happy to see a happy update at least

Last edited:
The whole story is horrifying. I remember reading it some years ago and being particularly affected by the kidnapping and murder of Joshua.

Illinois woman who cut baby from Debra Evan's womb wants case reopened
KANKAKEE, Ill. (AP) - A woman serving a life sentence for the gruesome 1995 murders of two children and their mother, whose unborn son was cut from her womb, has asked for her case to be reopened and reconsidered by a judge.

The Daily Journal in Kankakee reports Tuesday that 45-year-old Jacqueline Annette Williams has filed a letter with the DuPage County court petitioning for a judge to reopen and reexamine her case. In the letter Williams says she is a "changed woman" and deserves "a second chance." Prosecutors say she got her second chance when her death sentence was commuted to life in prison.

Williams was convicted in the death of 28-year-old Debra Evans of Addison and Evans' 10-year-old daughter Samantha and 7-year-old Joshua.
[...\]
http://www.ksdk.com/rss/article/299207/3/Woman-who-cut-baby-from-womb-wants-case-reopened

Illinois woman who cut baby from Debra Evan's womb wants case reopened
http://www.ksdk.com/rss/article/299207/3/Woman-who-cut-baby-from-womb-wants-case-reopened

As far as I am concerned that bitch can rot. She gave no one in that house a second chance except the littlest boys. What she did to Josh in particular is gruesome. How she can even ask for chances is beyond me. She should hang her head in shame. This should be wallpapered on her cell.............

according to what witnesses say Joshua told them, the boy was hiding.

When he attempted to flee, Williams allegedly caught him and brought him to the Villa Park apartment shared by Scott, Pruitt and their three children.

It was there that Joshua reportedly made his revelation, about 6 a.m. Nov. 17, authorities contend. Nine-year-old Teshema Sade Scott testified Friday that she heard Joshua's ghastly story and tried to comfort the distraught boy by reading him "The Lion King."

Pruitt also testified that he heard Joshua tell his story to Patrice Scott.

Williams returned about 9 a.m. and, upon learning what the boy had said, authorities say, became enraged. She first attempted to poison Joshua and then convinced Scott to ride with her to the Schaumburg apartment Williams shared with Caffey.

There, Scott said, Williams and Caffey attempted to strangle Joshua. When that failed, they took him back in the car. While Scott rode up front, she testified, Caffey allegedly stabbed the boy to death in the back seat.

She first attempted to poison Joshua and then convinced Scott to ride with her to the Schaumburg apartment Williams shared with Caffey.

There, Scott said, Williams and Caffey attempted to strangle Joshua. When that failed, they took him back in the car. While Scott rode up front, she testified, Caffey allegedly stabbed the boy to death in the back seat.

Jesus Christ.

That is the sanitized version. This is what I was really looking for................

Patrice Scott testified that, shortly after midnight on November 17, 1995, defendant, who was a friend of hers, came to the Villa Park apartment Scott shared with Dwight Pruitt and Scott's three daughters. Joshua was with defendant, and defendant had blood on her sweater. Joshua was wearing a coat and boots but no socks or pants.

According to Scott, defendant asked if Joshua could spend the night at Scott's apartment because his mother had been shot "out west" during a drug deal, and defendant was going to visit her in the hospital. Defendant also told Scott that she, defendant, had given birth and would bring the new baby with her when she came to retrieve Joshua in the morning.

After defendant left, Scott asked Joshua what his name was. He told her his name and said he needed to use the bathroom. Joshua used the bathroom, and Scott put him to bed on her living room couch. During the night, Scott heard Joshua whimpering and crying in his sleep. Around 5 a.m., Scott arose to feed her newborn, Alexis. Joshua was still whimpering and crying in his sleep. When he awakened around 6 or 7 a.m., he was crying.

Scott testified that she asked Joshua if he was worried about his mother and told him that his mother would be okay. Joshua replied, "No, no, she's not," and said that his mother and sister were dead. He explained that four burglars had come through the window and cut his mother and sister. He said that his little brother had been left in the apartment and asked Scott to get Jordan. Joshua told Scott that he had been hiding in the apartment and that, when the burglars left, he ran out after defendant, who brought him to Scott's apartment. Joshua repeated this story several times.

Scott asked Joshua if he knew who the burglars were. Joshua identified the burglars as Annette, Fedell, Vern, and "Boo-Boo." According to Scott, defendant is usually called Annette, and defendant has a relative named Bo Wilson. Scott admitted that she did not initially tell police that Joshua had named Fedell and "Boo-Boo" as two of the burglars. She testified that she was afraid of Fedell.

Joshua continued crying after he told Scott what had happened to his family. Scott's daughters entered the living room and one of them read Joshua a book. Joshua listened to her read, but his emotional state did not change significantly. When Scott's daughters left for school, Joshua told Scott to chain the door because the burglars might return.

Scott further testified that, around 9 a.m., defendant returned to the Villa Park apartment. Scott informed her that there was a discrepancy between what defendant said had happened to Joshua's mother and what Joshua said had happened. Scott also told defendant that Joshua had named her, Vern, and Fedell as the "burglars" who had entered his apartment. Defendant became angry at Joshua, cursed at him, and accused him of lying. In response, Joshua asserted repeatedly, "No, no, that's what happened."

According to Scott, defendant then told Joshua that his mother had left him some medicine. Joshua replied, "What medicine, I don't take any medication." Defendant brought him into the kitchen and gave him something, after which he gagged and vomited. Scott again asked defendant about what Joshua had told her that morning. Defendant said that Joshua talked too much and that Caffey had told her to take him south to the "projects."

Scott testified that she then agreed to go to defendant's house so that defendant could give Scott some baby outfits for Alexis. Defendant drove Scott, Alexis, and Joshua in a gray four-door car to her Schaumburg townhouse. At the townhouse, defendant first brought Scott to a bedroom. Caffey and a white baby boy with blond hair and tape on his stomach were on the bed in the bedroom. Defendant then asked Scott to bring Joshua to the laundry room in the townhouse.

Scott testified that Caffey and an unidentified man were already in the laundry room. Scott denied that this man was Ward or Bo Wilson and denied that Wilson had threatened to kill her. After the unidentified man left, defendant told Caffey, "[Joshua's] got a big mouth. He knows - he knows our names. He said my name, your name and Vern's name." Caffey asked defendant why she had brought Scott to the house and why she had not taken Joshua "out south" as he had instructed.

Defendant told Joshua to sit on the day bed in the laundry room and picked up a rope from the floor of the laundry room. She wrapped it around Joshua's neck, and she and Caffey began strangling Joshua with the rope. Joshua and Scott screamed, Scott pushed defendant, and defendant dropped the rope.

Defendant then left the laundry room and returned holding a knife behind her back. According to Scott, Caffey did not instruct defendant to get the knife. When Scott saw the knife, she screamed and asked Caffey and defendant to take her home and to free Joshua. Defendant threw the knife on the bed. Caffey instructed defendant to take Scott home and informed Scott that, if she told anyone what had happened, he would kill her and her whole family. Scott grabbed Alexis and sat in the front seat of the gray car, which was parked in the garage of the townhouse. Defendant instructed Joshua to sit in the back seat, which he did. Scott looked into the back seat and saw Caffey stabbing Joshua as defendant appeared to be holding Joshua's arm. Scott felt Joshua kick the seat and heard him gagging.

Defendant then moved to the driver's seat of the car, and Caffey told her, "You know where to go." Joshua was whimpering in the back seat, and Scott was afraid for her life and her baby's life. They drove to Maywood, where defendant and Caffey took Joshua from the car and helped him walk to the back of a building. Defendant and Caffey returned without Joshua. Defendant left Caffey in Maywood and drove Scott to her apartment in Villa Park.

When Scott and defendant arrived at Scott's apartment, defendant asked Scott for cleaning products to remove vomit from her car. Scott gave her some cleaning supplies, and defendant drove away.

http://www.state.il.us/court/opinions/supremecourt/2000/october/opinions/html/85453.htm

The whole story is one of horror and insanity, but the final hours of Joshua haunt me. That poor helpless child, left in the hands of a murderer he knew was responsible for his family's death.

I have been super traumatized by the thought of him just sitting in the back seat of the car, with that evil fuck holding onto his arm and stabbing him to death - there is nothing that little boy could do except sit there and take it.

It was like a horrible nightmare for him. He thought he was safe with Patrice, and she turned him right back over to his killers. Yes, it was shitty what happened to Deborah and Samantha, but what happened to Josh was one of the worst things I have ever read.

Samantha's real Dad, Scott, is an acquaintance of mine from the city I grew up in. I can tell you personally that he is still affected by this each and every day. A lot of the things he now does is because of the murder of Sam. I've always wondered how people can move on after things like this; how can you have faith in humanity after such an awful thing? Scott baffles me each and every time I see him to see that he still likes people in general. He's such a good guy; all he wants to do is make sure people know how to defend themselves and protect his family.

I originally saw this story on Investigation Discovery. I was listening to it as I was working on my laptop, but when I heard the name Levern Ward, the TV got my full attention. As soon as they flashed his picture, I realized that this was my friend from high school. At this point, I rewound the show to the beginning & realized that Deborah was also someone I knew. Needless to say, I was in complete shock. The Levern I knew was funny, sweet & fun to be around...the class clown type. Boy, how times change. I was so happy to run across this update on the children. I think about them occasionally so to know they're doing well makes me very happy. As far as Levern goes, he's where he needs to be & I hope he's miserable. :-\

That is the sanitized version. This is what I was really looking for................

http://www.state.il.us/court/opinions/supremecourt/2000/october/opinions/html/85453.htm
That is without a doubt the most horrifying thing I have ever heard. That poor little boy, surviving the initial attack, watching half of his family being butchered, only to be brutally murdered himself the next day. Those cretins made him spend his last hours on Earth in absolute terror, all while grieving the loss of his family, knowing he's probably next. How can that woman sleep at night, after turning him over to those monsters? I'd love to go back in time, so I could cunt punt her, and comfort him.

Is the shithead who turned him over to be murdered in jail? They punish her at all?

Don't got time to read through the full story at the moment, i assume the murderers were friends or acquaintances of the victim?

Could the woman not concieve herself? If so, i get her and her bfs motive, but what about this other asswipe? Who would agree to help with something like this.

@JackBurton Jacqueline Williams and Fedell Caffey were a couple, Lavern Ward was Williams' cousin. Williams already had three children and wasn't able to get pregnant anymore, however Caffey wanted to be a father.

Deborah Evans had three children also as we know, was pregnant with a fourth, and was Lavern Ward's ex girlfriend. The younger child (Jordan) was believed to be Ward's as was the unborn child (Elijah). So when Williams and Caffey decided they wanted a baby, Ward told them about his ex who was about to give birth.

That's why all three were involved...the couple wanted a baby, and the cousin wanted to punish his ex (and in doing so gift his own son to his cousin).

I followed this story and also read the book about this case. I've also read updates over the years about the grandfather raising the two boys. This case will never leave me. They tortured that poor little boy who tried so many times to get help. They all should have got the DP. What they did to this mother and entire family is horrific.

I knew Leverne Ward, from first grade, until,he left Fairhope. Man the stories of that guy! Crazy in first grade, actually got into a fight with him over a girl.

This is by far one of the most horrific tales I've read. I can't even stand to think of poor Joshua...but this Scott chick, holding her baby? To actually be in her shoes, knowing her girls were at school & here she finds herself all caught up in a most violent homocide, all the while holding her baby. What would you do, in that predicament? Seems everything happened at warp speed, from the time they left Scott's apartment.

Then to be there...seeing them try to strangle this child, after Williams already tried to poison him?! I can't fathom sitting in the same vehicle, holding a child while the one behind me gets murdered...:nailbiting: Yet to actually think of it...I honestly don't know what I would've done??? I'd want to protect the child I'm holding but how is that possible, while attempting to save the little one in the back from two animalistic barbarians?!

A hellish story to say the least. I can't stop smh on this one. :sorry::bored::arghh::punch:

Will do! This was very disturbing to me, knowing Leverne Ward since first grade, however everyone ironically in school called him "voodoo"! No kidding! As far as who he was then was just as kind of odd and he was doomed in my opinion unless many thing changed in his life. He lived in the "bad part", most didn't frequent growing up in a small quaint little to of Fairhope Alabama. Retirement type community, "utopia" as it was founded in the late 1800's. But voodoo was very much an outcast. I remember him turning blue, yes blue, it seemed to us at the time while he chased around all the white girls on the play ground. It seemed he always went after the white girls and deep down in my opinion wanted acceptance. Everyone in school was basically scared shitless of the guy, even at that age as he was constantly violent, angry, a bully, very well fit and strong. I do t recall even the guys bigger than him even getting into any altercations with him. I did one day due to the fact he was trying to "kiss" my then first grade girlfriend one day on the playground. As he turned his witch like "blue" skin tone, and basically scare the shit out of Brandy. I did step in and defend her and we got into it. I just remember picking up a pine tree stick to protect myself from VooDoo. Mrs. Boone, our teacher wasn't having it and we both were sent to principles office and given the 5 stroke punishment with the paddle, back in those days.
From that day forward I always stayed far away from this guy. It's really amazing someone could even think to do something remotely close to this. Voodoo remained in trouble throughout school and from what I remember dropped out at some point around 1985-86. He just went away.
I wonder if his childhood would have been different with stable parents, stable relationships would change his outcome as a human being. Fairhope was and still is a great little town and things like this rarely happen, well like this rare for anywhere, but if you got in trouble in Fairhope everyone knew about it.
This whole story is very disturbing. I could probably go through some pictures and find old school pics of him, class pics.

You realize certain lighting makes black look blue, right? No, he's not BLACK, but lighting plays tricks.

Back