• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

LeaveMeBe

Zombie Hunter
Recorded 911 tapes reveal that the suspected drunken driver whose vehicle struck and killed two young brothers near Alvin was fatally shot in the head shortly after the collision and his wound was not self-inflicted, officials said Monday.

The Harris County Medical Examiner's Office ruled Monday that 20-year-old Jose Inez Banda Jr.'s death was a homicide.

"One of the 911 callers reporting the tragic crash that claimed the two young brothers' lives was talking to dispatch when he reported hearing the gunfire," said Dominick Sanders, an investigator for the Brazoria County Sheriff's Office, who is still trying to unravel who pulled the trigger. "This incident has been such a tragedy with so many dynamics involved."

Midnight collision

Moments before Banda was shot shortly before midnight Friday, his Chevrolet Malibu had plowed into David Barajas Sr. and his two sons - 12-year-old David Jr. and 11-year-old Caleb.

The boys were pushing the family's Ford 250 truck that had run out of gas just 150 yards from their driveway. The truck, carrying Barajas' wife, Cindy, and their 8-year-old daughter and 3-month-old son, was partially knocked into the roadside ditch.

No one inside the truck was injured, but the 12-year-old died shortly after his body was crushed in the collision, while his younger brother was flown to Memorial Hermann Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

Barajas Sr., a construction worker, has since been released from an area hospital after being treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Banda was unable to provide a statement when found critically injured inside his car. He was flown to Memorial Hermann Hospital but never regained consciousness before he was pronounced dead.

Investigators also have not obtained statements from the surviving Barajas family members, except for an initial explanation that the Chevrolet Malibu had slammed into their vehicle, Sanders said.

"We cannot compel anybody to talk to us," Sanders said, but would not say if they are refusing to do so. No murder weapon has been recovered.

The collision occurred on County Road 144, a narrow, two-lane road with no shoulders that had no street lights.

Witnesses sought

Investigators canvassed that area Monday to interview anyone who may have witnessed the incident.

"We believe alcohol was a factor in the initial crash," said Sanders, but the medical examiner has not yet released Banda's blood-alcohol levels. Banda has one prior conviction for evading arrest in 2010.

Funeral arrangements for the young brothers are pending.

"Their parents aren't doing too good," Mark Barajas said. "There's a lot of second guessing about what they could have done to stop it from happening."

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...-suspect-fatally-shot-after-crash-4106270.php

Cannot say I feel terribly sorry for the drunk driver. I just wish the family of the two dead boys hadn't added to the heavy load they are carrying.

That woman needs helps,she can get PPD even more easily with the loss of 2 sons who I bet, helped her a lot with the baby.

Cannot say I feel terribly sorry for the drunk driver. I just wish the family of the two dead boys hadn't added to the heavy load they are carrying.

No one knows who the shooter was. There wasn't a weapon found so it's likely the person who shot him left the scene with the gun. Since the family members were all still at the scene, and without a gun, it's safe to assume they didn't shoot him.

I sincerely hope you are right; but who would this enigmatic shade be? Was there a passenger in the drunk driver's car?

I sincerely hope you are right; but who would this enigmatic shade be? Was there a passenger in the drunk driver's car?

Hmmm...maybe the drunk driver was being chased by someone when he collided with the family, the person chasing him took the opportunity to shoot him once he was stopped due to the accident and then ran off again?

Hmmm...maybe the drunk driver was being chased by someone when he collided with the family, the person chasing him took the opportunity to shoot him once he was stopped due to the accident and then ran off again?

Works for me!

ETA: It might even go a little bit of the way to explain why the accident happened, - apart from the driver being drunk.

Last edited:

Some people are speculating that it may have been a neighbor since they were only 150 feet from their driveway, or another family member who lived within the area. Dad was injured and mom had an infant and an 8 year old in the front with her, I can only imagine she was focused on her injured boys and husband and not thinking of shooting the asshole who hit them. Her boys were still alive after they were hit.

Spent my teen & young adult years in that town. It had a really bad gang problem in the 90s. We moved way after Hurricane Ike hit (Lost our roof) but we lived within a mile of the scene for many years. People drive like dicks out in the county. Act like its their own little drag strip. Brazoria County is huge & there just isn't enough Sheriffs to keep up with all the assholes racing around out there.

Like I said, there was a really bad gang problem in the 90s & in the last few years, it seems to be making a "come back" (We joke it's cause all the old "Bangers" made parole) We still have family & friends in the area & know that there is allot going on around there that it's even making the news. Last year there was a "shoot out" at the park not far from our old home.

Anyways, it's been reported that Banda may have been found in the passenger seat & witnesses saw two other men running from the vehicle he was in. One of the (MANY) stories going around is that one of the two who ran shot Banda. I guess not to leave any witnesses. Who knows...

But I do know that the Sheriffs are going to have a hard time getting anyone to talk if that's the case.

News Video: http://www.khou.com/news/local/Accident-leave-two-kids-driver-dead-in-Alvin-182671661.html

Here is the Facebook page for the boys. It’s just so sad: http://www.facebook.com/RipDavidCaleb

And the Facebook page for Banda: http://www.facebook.com/RipJoseInesBandaJr

Investigators canvassed that area Monday to interview anyone who may have witnessed the incident.
And who, incidentally, might be the shooter. I bet they're trying to get swabs of everyone's hands.

And who, incidentally, might be the shooter. I bet they're trying to get swabs of everyone's hands.

I read that while someone us on the phone with a 911 operator, three gun shots were heard. So there is a really good chance that someone saw who did. But who I don't know.

I agree with [MENTION=5172]LeaveMeBe[/MENTION], very unlikely the parents were the shooters. They probably did even notice a damn thing about the other vehicle. Just that their babies were hurt. BAD. But sadly, many people associated with Banda are already blaming the father. Very upsetting since he must already have so much weight on his heart right now.

So it had to be someone in the neighborhood or in the vehicle that Banda was in. But like I said before, it's gonna be hard to get anyone to talk if they saw something.

One time there was a dog OR coyote attacking animals on our street. It got two of our cats & later went after our dachshund (BIG mistake cause that little bitch is MEAN) My Husband ran out to see what was going on & grab up our dog, when it went after my HIM! So of course we call the the county Sheriffs for help, Over a WEEK LATER some comes out & left a little card on our door saying they "Stopped By". I don't know about y'all, but if I call 911 cause there is some wild animal trying to eat pets & people, you kinda want them to come out RIGHT AWAY!

So, I can understand no one wanting to talk to them. It's not like there is allot they can or will do to help them from becoming victims themselves.

I don't know about y'all, but if I call 911 cause there is some wild animal trying to eat pets & people, you kinda want them to come out RIGHT AWAY!
Well, yes, it is an emergency number after all. If they don't seem to feel like it's an emergency, you can always hurry them up a bit by threatening to take care of matters yourself with your good friend the rifle. This has worked wonders for my family. Only problem is they're usually looking for the wrong person when they arrive.

David Barajas, 12, and his 11-year-old brother Caleb were helping their father push the family’s truck after it ran out of gas on County Road 144. They were yards from their Alvin home when Banda’s car slammed into them.

It happened around midnight on the narrow road, which doesn't have street lights.

The two boys and David Barajas Sr. were pinned between the vehicles.

http://www.kvue.com/news/Search-con...r-who-struck-killed-2-brothers-183033871.html

If dad was pinned between the vehicles then he probably didn't shoot Banda unless he had a gun in a holster on his person. But if that's the case, where is the gun now? All of this is tragic but the driver being shot in the head is so bizarre.

It was Colonel Mustard in the Boudoir with the candlestick.

Nah, it was the baby. (à la Maggie Simpson)

I'm glad the bastard who killed those boys is dead. I hope he felt tremendous pain before death took him - worse than the pain the family are feeling at the loss of their children. I wish it WAS one of the family who got the revenge bullet in, but I seriously doubt it. Obs scenario of someone chasing him, then taking advantage of the tragedy to shoot him sounds plausible. People who drive drunk deserve to die, but they usually walk away from the carnage they cause. Glad this POS didn't.

Well, yes, it is an emergency number after all. If they don't seem to feel like it's an emergency, you can always hurry them up a bit by threatening to take care of matters yourself with your good friend the rifle. This has worked wonders for my family. Only problem is they're usually looking for the wrong person when they arrive.

My Husband wont keep a gun in the house. Afraid I might try to shoot him. (Or myself in the foot)

My Husband wont keep a gun in the house. Afraid I might try to shoot him. (Or myself in the foot)
Who said you had to be telling the truth? If it gets the police to come out . . .

Some older kids were lighting and throwing firecrackers in the general direction of a little girl one merry Fourth of July day. My folks saw this and after admonishing the kids with no response, called the local sheriff. The response was to question if they were actually hurting the girl. (She was unhurt, in tears, and the game was still going on.) They said they could get someone out there later on. My folks waited 20 minutes, then my father called back and said they should not bother themselves, he had a gun and would take care of it himself. The cops were there in minutes, looking for the lunatic with the gun. He was out in the backyard watering the lawn while my mother answered the door. Of course, the mere presence of a cop car caused the kids' misbehavior to cease altogether. Mission accomplished.

I'm glad the bastard who killed those boys is dead. I hope he felt tremendous pain before death took him - worse than the pain the family are feeling at the loss of their children. I wish it WAS one of the family who got the revenge bullet in, but I seriously doubt it. Obs scenario of someone chasing him, then taking advantage of the tragedy to shoot him sounds plausible. People who drive drunk deserve to die, but they usually walk away from the carnage they cause. Glad this POS didn't.

"We believe alcohol was a factor in the initial crash," said Sanders, but the medical examiner has not yet released Banda's blood-alcohol levels.

Not 100% sure if he was drunk. Plus, there is speculation he was in the passenger's seat. Also, he could have been in the driver's seat with a gun held to his head and, quite literally, accidentally hit the family.

I'm not going to say he deserved to die just yet.

Not 100% sure if he was drunk. Plus, there is speculation he was in the passenger's seat. Also, he could have been in the driver's seat with a gun held to his head and, quite literally, accidentally hit the family.

I agree with you. I normally have no sympathy for drunk drivers but this doesn't really appear to be case here.

I agree with you. I normally have no sympathy for drunk drivers but this doesn't really appear to be case here.
Other than rumor, it has been repeatedly reported that he was the driver. Althought nothing so far has been revealed about his alcohol level. It would be surprising if he wasn't impaired but possible.

The driver found shot to death after he struck and killed two young brothers in Alvin Friday night was a homicide victim, the Harris County Medical Examiner has ruled.

Jose Banda, 20, was found unconscious behind the wheel of his car with a gunshot wound to the head. He was flown to Memorial Hermann Hospital where he later died.
http://www.kvue.com/news/Search-con...r-who-struck-killed-2-brothers-183033871.html

I'm hoping he had someone else in the car with him and that person(s) is to blame. The family has enough to deal with without a friend or family member having to face charges.

Tundratot -

BWHAHA! Brilliant!

But I don't think it would work out there in the county. Guns go off all day & all night. Hubby would laugh at me cause everything I heard a gun shot I would count kids & pets.

Last edited:

He was drunk, but I'm still not sure he was driving. Plus, it's been ruled a homicide:

http://thefacts.com/news/article_845ffe54-4414-11e2-9547-0019bb2963f4.html

Driver’s death ruled homicide

ALVIN — A preliminary autopsy report lists cause of death as homicide for an Alvin man who died of a gunshot wound to the head after hitting two boys with his car late Friday.
The report also showed Jose Ines Banda, 20, had alcohol in his system when he hit 12-year-old David Barajas II and 11-year-old Caleb Barajas at about 11:30 p.m. Friday, said Brazoria County Sheriff’s investigator Dominick Sanders.​

I've also read he had just had a baby. So sad. I still feel it's a chance someone riding with him did the shooting. Maybe he wanted to help or call 911, but the others didn't wanna get caught...

Drunk driving suspect fatally shot after crash, officials say

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...-suspect-fatally-shot-after-crash-4106270.php

Recorded 911 tapes reveal that the suspected drunken driver whose vehicle struck and killed two young brothers near Alvin was fatally shot in the head shortly after the collision and his wound was not self-inflicted, officials said Monday.

The Harris County Medical Examiner's Office ruled Monday that 20-year-old Jose Inez Banda Jr.'s death was a homicide.

"One of the 911 callers reporting the tragic crash that claimed the two young brothers' lives was talking to dispatch when he reported hearing the gunfire," said Dominick Sanders, an investigator for the Brazoria County Sheriff's Office, who is still trying to unravel who pulled the trigger. "This incident has been such a tragedy with so many dynamics involved."

Midnight collision

Moments before Banda was shot shortly before midnight Friday, his Chevrolet Malibu had plowed into David Barajas Sr. and his two sons - 12-year-old David Jr. and 11-year-old Caleb.

The boys were pushing the family's Ford 250 truck that had run out of gas just 150 yards from their driveway. The truck, carrying Barajas' wife, Cindy, and their 8-year-old daughter and 3-month-old son, was partially knocked into the roadside ditch.

No one inside the truck was injured, but the 12-year-old died shortly after his body was crushed in the collision, while his younger brother was flown to Memorial Hermann Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

Barajas Sr., a construction worker, has since been released from an area hospital after being treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Banda was unable to provide a statement when found critically injured inside his car. He was flown to Memorial Hermann Hospital but never regained consciousness before he was pronounced dead.

Investigators also have not obtained statements from the surviving Barajas family members, except for an initial explanation that the Chevrolet Malibu had slammed into their vehicle, Sanders said.

"We cannot compel anybody to talk to us," Sanders said, but would not say if they are refusing to do so. No murder weapon has been recovered.

The collision occurred on County Road 144, a narrow, two-lane road with no shoulders that had no street lights.

Witnesses sought

"We believe alcohol was a factor in the initial crash," said Sanders, but the medical examiner has not yet released Banda's blood-alcohol levels. Banda has one prior conviction for evading arrest in 2010.

A great uncle of the two boys killed, Mark Barajas, described them as obedient sons who enjoyed playing Pee Wee football.

"After the collision, their dad was taken to the hospital because he thought he was having a heart attack," he said. "But it turned out to be a panic attack."

Funeral arrangements for the young brothers are pending.

"Their parents aren't doing too good," Mark Barajas said. "There's a lot of second guessing about what they could have done to stop it from happening."

Last night was the viewing for the boys. My family didn't go, but heard it was packed. Anyone in their community wanted to show support.

Other than rumor, it has been repeatedly reported that he was the driver. Althought nothing so far has been revealed about his alcohol level. It would be surprising if he wasn't impaired but possible.

I'm hoping he had someone else in the car with him and that person(s) is to blame. The family has enough to deal with without a friend or family member having to face charges.

There was a rumor going around that someone who claimed to be on scene as or with the First Responders said that witnesses saw two men flee from the vehicle that Banda was in & they shot him before leaving on foot.

I really don't know how true that is since my Husband is a FF/EMT for the city of Houston & if you are working the scene of a open investigation, you keep your mouth SHUT over details. (Really, ANY scene) But this one of those "small towns" where EVERYONE knows everyone's business. So I wouldn't be surprised if someone who worked the scene was telling all.

There is no pain worse than the death of your child; my neice was killed at 18 months old in a car wreck eight years ago, and it STILL affects the whole family.

I agree; so very many times the friggin asshole who felt compelled to become shitfaced and STILL feel it's okay to barrel around in a 2-ton metal death machine on wheels, ends up living while some innocent bystander(s) are killed or badly hurt. It's just not fair.

There is no pain worse than the death of your child; my neice was killed at 18 months old in a car wreck eight years ago, and it STILL affects the whole family.

Completely agree with you on this. I've lost two young family members in my life. One, not unlike this accident. Never goes away & they are ALWAYS missed.

http://www.alvinsun.net/articles/2012/12/12/obituaries/doc50c8cf7196f62055868578.txt

David Kevin Barajas & Caleb Armando Barajas

David Kevin Barajas II, 12; and Caleb Armando Barajas, 11, both of Alvin, Texas, passed away suddenly on December 8, 2012. They were inseparable from each other and loved playing, loved their family, and loved helping out when needed. They were innocent kids that were called to Heaven too early.

They are survived by parents, David and Cindy Barajas; sisters, Jenessah Barajas and Mariah Barajas; brother, Isaac Barajas; grandparents, David R. Barajas and wife Gloria Pina, Juan F. Hernandez and wife Betty, and Gilberto Mejia and wife Cynthia; great-grandfather, Rogelio Renteria; great-grandfather, Pete Flores; and numerous aunts, uncles, cousins, other loving family and friends.

Visitation was held Tuesday, December 11, 2012 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. in the chapel of Scott Funeral Home.

Funeral services will be held in their honor Wednesday, December, 12, 2012 at 1:00 p.m. in the Scott Funeral Home Chapel, 1421 E. Highway 6, Alvin, TX 77511. Interment followed at Southpark Cemetery, Pearland, Texas.

Arrangements under the direction of the Scott Family.

Back