• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
2z9h75g.jpg
Darlene​
2zqhtol.jpg
Jessica​
New details in Burke County murder, mom and daughter remain in jail
As a mother and daughter charged with murder remain in jail without bond, new details are emerging in the killing of Lendon Poteet in Burke County early Wednesday.

Investigators say it appears Poteet was beaten and then run over by his own car.

Darlene Cavanaugh Butler,53, and her 25-year-old daughter Jessica Lynne Cavanaugh are both charged with murder.

Burke County Sheriff Steve Whisenant said Thursday that the two women knew Poteet and actually had spent several hours with him Tuesday night before he was killed.

Whisenant won't say what he thinks the motive was but believes there was some type of altercation that led to the murder.

Wednesday night after the two were charged Darlene blamed what happened on her daughter.

"She did it all," she said, adding "She set me up."
Investigators, though, believe both women were involved. More charges are possible in connection with the fire that destroyed Poteet's home and car. Investigators think the fires were set to hide evidence.

Both women will have a first appearance in court Monday morning
[...]
http://www.wbtv.com/story/17382622/sheriff-mans-body-found-miles-from-burned-home

[..]
When sheriff’s detectives interviewed the pair, they confessed to the murder, said a press release from the sheriff’s office.
The investigation suggests Poteet may have been beaten and run over by a vehicle, said Sheriff Steve Whisenant. An autopsy will be performed on Poteet on Thursday in Winston-Salem.
The odd sequence of events creating three crime scenes began early Wednesday morning.
At 12:59 a.m., the sheriff’s office responded to a fire at Poteet’s home, 5457 Rob Carswell Road, the release said. Enola Volunteer Fire Department had contacted the office after firefighters heard explosions.
At 2:08 a.m., officers found Poteet’s car, a 1996 Mercedes Benz, on the side of Pete Brittain Road near Oakdale Drive. The car had been also burnt.
Responding to a call, officers found Poteet’s body at 4:29 a.m. on River Road, between new and old N.C. 18 South.
Poteet was nude and in the roadway on the bridge, the release said.
Detectives, along with the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigations, Burke County Fire Marshal’s Office and Burke County Narcotics Task Force, canvassed the surrounding neighborhoods and interviewed prospective witnesses.
Investigators were able to piece together a time line of events, which led them to 118 Oakdale Drive and the two suspects.
Investigators declined to release information about the suspects' motive.
[...]
http://www2.morganton.com/news/2012/apr/12/two-women-charged-murder-ar-2154490/

Yeah, I figured that it was going to be a case of a mother throwing her minor child "under the bus" of the law, for the death of another child. Thank God I was wrong about that.

Ya.. these 2 are as crazy as they come. My brother, also crazy, lol, got Jessica preggy and had a baby with her, that my mom is stuck raising now. She was strung out on pills and her mom was on anything she could put her hands on. The baby is 2yrs old. Jessica said something to my brother once about Evan, Poteet, having a very large gold nugget. I know Evan was buying Jessica pain pills and he was paying some of her bills. Also giving her spending money at times. Personally I think Jess and Darlene wanted the Gold. Secondly, I think Jess also led him on to thinking sexual favors was going to take place for even more money and when Evan didn't give her more money, she got mad and did what she did. Maybe scared my brother would find out about them sleeping around, so she silenced him. Jess is trying to say that Evan was forcing himself onto her and she and her mom retaliated. I know better. Jess is was very strong, physically, and could have fought or pushed that old man off at anytime.

Ya.. these 2 are as crazy as they come. My brother, also crazy, lol, got Jessica preggy and had a baby with her, that my mom is stuck raising now. She was strung out on pills and her mom was on anything she could put her hands on. The baby is 2yrs old. Jessica said something to my brother once about Evan, Poteet, having a very large gold nugget. I know Evan was buying Jessica pain pills and he was paying some of her bills. Also giving her spending money at times. Personally I think Jess and Darlene wanted the Gold. Secondly, I think Jess also led him on to thinking sexual favors was going to take place for even more money and when Evan didn't give her more money, she got mad and did what she did. Maybe scared my brother would find out about them sleeping around, so she silenced him. Jess is trying to say that Evan was forcing himself onto her and she and her mom retaliated. I know better. Jess is was very strong, physically, and could have fought or pushed that old man off at anytime.
Was it your brother that they killed?

No, it was her sugardaddy. lol, I do appreciate paragraphs but if you stuck through the wall-o-text, she started screwing this dude on the side for more money, and when that didn't happen, she freaked and they offed him for a chunk of gold.

Secondly, I think Jess also led him on to thinking sexual favors was going to take place for even more money and when Evan didn't give her more money, she got mad and did what she did. Maybe scared my brother would find out about them sleeping around, so she silenced him.

I don't understand, she lead him on, or she was in fact sleeping with him?

No, it was her sugardaddy. lol, I do appreciate paragraphs but if you stuck through the wall-o-text, she started screwing this dude on the side for more money, and when that didn't happen, she freaked and they offed him for a chunk of gold.
She should have gotten a sugar daddy that had more $$

No... Jess killed her own unclr, Potete. My brother just had a bsby with her. Allthis happenrd when the baby was 6 months old. its been bout 2 years ago now. my brother id fine. But hes a pos cause he wont raise his own kids

y
eppers

I know all there is bout them. Before the BS and after. Anyone wanna write a book about it or make a movie then holler at me. i kbow more than most. she lived with us and was part of the family at one time. strange ppl

Ya.. these 2 are as crazy as they come. My brother, also crazy, lol, got Jessica preggy and had a baby with her, that my mom is stuck raising now.

Thats really sad to hear. Every child deserves to be raised by someone that wants to raise them... Not just "stuck" with someone.

Summary: Mother-Daughter oxymethhead hooker team off a trick for his gold nugget. Also, dead trick is the unclebrotherdaddycousin?

Am I close?

Summary: Mother-Daughter oxymethhead hooker team off a trick for his gold nugget. Also, dead trick is the unclebrotherdaddycousin?

Am I close?
I wondered that after she said the sugar daddy was her own uncle. Wtf??

Ive known Darlene and All of her kids for many years. They are not killers. As far as Jessica's baby.....Did someone say stuck raising their OWN grandchild. Thats sick. Sounds like the child isnt wanted. To hell with this entire article. I took care of Jess til she was 6. They are not killers.

Ive known Darlene and All of her kids for many years. They are not killers. As far as Jessica's baby.....Did someone say stuck raising their OWN grandchild. Thats sick. Sounds like the child isnt wanted. To hell with this entire article. I took care of Jess til she was 6. They are not killers.
Then who killed Poteet?

Last edited:
@cathy87 Did they lie when they confessed?

When sheriff's detectives interviewed the pair, they confessed to the murder, said apress release from the sheriff’s office.
The investigation suggests Poteet may have been beaten and run over by a vehicle, said Sheriff Steve Whisenant. An autopsy will be performed on Poteet on Thursday in Winston-Salem.

theres always a defender and you are theirs but your fighting a losing battle here
believe me coming here and bragging about knowing idiots like this is nothing to be proud of
2s6k6c9.jpg

I'll show you what you missed then, in the first post...
they confessed to the murder

Uh, no. Their confession says they ARE murderers.
Twit.

Back