• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Hellsbells

Trusted Member
New slaying suspect named
Body of original suspect was found scattered between training base and Long Beach park Thursday night.

Police have identified Daniel Wozniak of Costa Mesa, as the man who killed a woman inside a Costa Mesa apartment last weekend and Samuel Herr, who was found dead Thursday night and was detectives’ initial suspect in the woman’s killing.
33wla3o.jpg

Wozniak, 27, killed Herr on May 21 at Los Alamitos Joint Forces Training Base and dismembered him to hide the body, police said. He removed Herr’s head, left arm and right hand and discarded them at El Dorado Park in Long Beach, according to police.

Using Herr’s cell phone, he lured Julie Kibuishi, 23, of Irvine, to Herr’s Costa Mesa apartment at the Camden Martinique apartment complex across the street from Orange Coast College, police said. There, he shot her in the head and staged it as a possible sexual assault, police said. Officers initially thought Herr was the killer because they could not find him in the days after Kibuishi was found dead in his bedroom.

Detectives monitoring Herr’s financial activity discovered someone accessed his account through an ATM. When police contacted the person using Herr’s card, a 17-year-old boy, the boy told police he was taking out money for Wozniak.

Wozniak was arrested in Huntington Beach on Wednesday night and is being held in lieu of $1-million bail.

The remaining pieces of Herr’s body were found at the Los Alamitos military base. Both the FBI and Long Beach police assisted in the investigation. Police arrested a second man, Noah Buffett, on Wednesday with Wozniak. Buffett’s relation to the case was not immediately clear but he remains in custody, police said.

http://www.dailypilot.com/news/dpt-wozniak052910,0,1748636.story

I wonder if he had some mushroom tea

Daniel Wozniak, 26, of Costa Mesa, was charged with two counts of murder Friday, the same day he was supposed to get married to fiancee Rachel Buffet in a Long Beach park, said Costa Mesa police Detective Sgt. Ed Everett.

Wozniak's father, Daryl Wozniak, said his son was in a coma after trying to commit suicide. Everett said the younger Wozniak was being treated at Western Medical Center, though he did not describe his condition.

Daniel Wozniak, who recently starred in the lead role as Guido Contini in the musical "Nine" at the Hunger Artists Theatre Company in Fullerton
[...]

Daryl Wozniak said his son had never displayed any signs of violence or of having psychological problems.

"We are stunned," Daryl Wozniak said. "He was an ideal son, he went out of his way to help everybody."

The father said his son stopped accepting phone calls from him about six months ago. No psychological problems??? Daryl Wozniak did not know why and said there had been no falling out.

"He just disappeared," he said.

Prosecutors have not said if they would seek the death penalty. No arraignment date had been set.

Police said Daniel Wozniak killed Herr in a theater at the military base, then cut off his head, left arm and right hand. The torso was left in a seldom-used part of the theater, while other body parts were taken to a Long Beach park, Glass said. Investigators said Daniel Wozniak told them where to find the torso.

A part-time actor, Daniel Wozniak had performed in several productions at the theater, Everett said, but there were no plays scheduled there on the day of the slaying.

The run of "Nine" ended May 23, the day after Kibuishi's body was found. Daniel Wozniak's fiancee, Buffet, starred alongside him in that production.
[...]

Two other people, Noah Buffett, 28, of Long Beach and Daniel Wozniak's brother, Timothy Wozniak, were arrested for investigation of being accessories after the fact.
http://www.fresnobee.com/2010/05/28/1950619/police-socal-man-beheaded-neighbor.html

That's one way to get out of being married, tho not one I would have chosen!!

Wow when this fella went off the deep end he hit the bottom right quick!!

Prayers to the family.

Police searching El Dorado Park have found the severed head of a man who they believe was killed in a bizarre double murder-for-profit plot in Orange County.

A search team of the FBI and the Long Beach and Costa Mesa police departments found a human head that likely belongs to Samuel Eliezer Herr, 26, about noon Saturday in the park's nature preserve area near the El Dorado Nature Center, said Costa Mesa police Sgt. Patrick Wessel.

On Friday, they found Herr's severed right hand and arm in the park about half a mile apart. Wessel said authorities have now called off the search.

"We believe everything has been recovered at this point," he said.
[...]

A stage actor who had recently ended a performance of the musical "Nine" with the Hunger Artists Theatre Company in Fullerton, Wozniak reportedly had financial problems, owed people money and was about to be evicted from his apartment.
http://www.presstelegram.com/breakingnews/ci_15194333

Other than his father's statement, there is no official confirmation on Wozniak's suicide attempt. If it's not true, I hope it soon is - and successful.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQrOWAnv_00"]YouTube- Candid Video of Alleged Murderer Surfaces[/ame]

This is the kind of crime I love...would have been a fantastically entertaining twist if the 17 y/o at the ATM was the actual killer.

This is the kind of crime I love...would have been a fantastically entertaining twist if the 17 y/o at the ATM was the actual killer.

You 'love' this kind of crime? :stupido3:

I'm new here, so maybe I'm missing your sarcasm.

This one curdled my blood a good bit. At first it was reported they were looking for Herr as the suspect in his girlfriend's murder. Over the course of a day or so it came out that it wasn't his girlfriend and he himself was a victim of this gruesome crime by what we can only imagine is a Frighteningly Unhinged Individual.

Not many details to go on, either - like how did he actually kill Herr? He must have befriended him earlier, lured him to the theatre at the Base and when his back was turned clonked him with a hammer???? (I don't know). And then how did he proceed to 'dismember' the poor lad? Did he bring a knapsack with a knife set in it? And garbage bags? And then how did he get what (body parts) he took with him OUT of the theater without being seen? And why would he leave a portion of the remains THERE at the theatre? (because he couldn't haul them all out to the car in one trip, but he didn't go back in for the rest?)

And then... he must have proceeded to the park which he must have pre-selected for disposal site (but yet his brother and another are charged in that 'disposal'?). He must have figured he'd go back to the theatre for the remaining body parts AFTER he lured the tutor/friend/gal to his apartment using the text message? How did he know that would even work? Luring her with his texting? He must have been friends with victim Herr (who lived on 3rd floor, perp lived on ground floor). I feel REALLY BAD for both victims/families/friends in this case. Horrible Case of two young lives snuffed out under the most BIZARRE circumstances.

How were they supposed to protect themselves from this LUNATIC? Especially her; she probably didn't even know the guy. Imagine her horror when she arrives at Herr's apartment (probably for a tutoring session) only to be met with this SHITBIRD and his shotgun and it's all over?

Was he expecting Herr's remains would never be found and her murder would be blamed on Herr? But yet he left some of his body parts at the theatre where surely they would eventually be found/identified?

And he KNEW they watch ATM receipts and can retrieve camera footage... maybe he was going to run this 17 year old from one machine to another until he sucked the account dry and then MURDER THE 17 YEAR OLD? -- but the Nutjob sends him back to the same machine as the first withdrawal which the Cops have staked out?

Like in the Video, this TURD must have mis-read the lines of his own bad play. And then he tries to commit suicide (although we're not told how) and he's supposedly in a coma? But JUST LIKE THAT he's out of the coma and in the custody of the jail...

And two others ASSISTED AFTER THE FACT? Uh... how does that happen? You get a call from a seemingly normal individual (your brother/friend) one day and he says, 'Hey, this guy lost his head, can you gimme a hand with disposal'?

We need ALOT more information on this one to diagnose WTF was going on here.

I feel Really Bad for the Victims and their families. It's just a Scary World these days with so many people doing these bizarre crimes.

Last edited:
My very first thought was "Dear God, the poor parents of the victims." To not only lose a child, but also to lose him/her in such an atrocious way; I would still be screaming. Even punishing the killer to the full extent of the law would not be enough. They are better, stronger people than I am.

Yes, I love these crimes.

We need to post more violent murders here instead of women leaving their children in vans while shopping.

Welcome Knighted! You'll find many of us have a 'different' kind of humor. It's the way we deal with what see here daily. I'm with b&t, these kind of crimes are a lot more horrific and interesting to read and discuss than some person with a house full of cats and untended children.
We don't wish them to happen, but when they do it can be a lively (no pun intended) topic.

As far as poor Julie. It's no surprise that like many of us she puts names to numbers stored in her phone.
If my friend Lisa texted me "Hey let's meet up for a drink tonight at such and such a place" the LAST thing I would think is "She's been murdered and chopped up and this is her killer sending it from her phone" if for no other reason than the fact that Lisa is kind of a lush.

I agree that more info would be good. Was he good friends with these people? What's this noise about "murder for hire"?

Last edited:
I have to feel for both of this victim's but Sam's espcially. Not only is your child murdered and then dismembred, the killer attempts to destroy his name as well.

At about 1 p.m. last Friday, May 21, Wozniak and Herr drove to the Los Alamitos Joint Forces Training Base, where Wozniak allegedly shot and killed Herr in the base's theater facility.

Based on the new information, Costa Mesa police searched the Los Alamitos base and El Dorado Park with the help of the FBI and the Long Beach Police Department. Herr's torso was found at the base, but the search is still on for other body parts at the park.

After leaving the park, Wozniak used Herr's cell phone to text message Kibuishi and arrange for her to come to Herr's apartment. She arrived just after midnight Saturday and, after helping her into the apartment, Wozniak is alleged to have shot and killed her before removing her clothing to make it appear a sexual assault had taken place, according to police.

Kibuishi is listed as one of the friends on Wozniak's Facebook page.

A local theater actor, Wozniak's performance in the Hunger Artists' recent production of the musical Nine was lauded by Weekly theater critic Joel Beers, whose review appeared in print and online 15 days before Herr was killed.

"Dan Wozniak's Guido is superb," Beers wrote. "Though his character should be an unlikable pig--he's self-obsessed, egotistical and a liar who uses women as checkers pieces--Wozniak somehow manages to make Guido eminently likeable and even sympathetic. This is a man absolutely into himself--both his virtues and his flaws. And Wozniak captures the angst of a man staring into the abyss of his own being and seeing his own frailty."Wozniak was on stage for the 8 p.m. performances Friday and Saturday, May 21-22, the days police gave for the murders of Herr and Kibuishi respectively.Chillingly, Wozniak posted the following on his Facebook page May 20:

"Last chance to see me and Rachel in "Nine" at the Hunger Artists! Hope to see you all there - for those who have come...Thank You! It was amazing seeing you all! Have a good one everyone!"

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/2010-homicides/23-year-old-woman-oc-homicide/index.php?page=2

His Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1332601889

Daniel Patrick Wozniak, 26, of Costa Mesa appeared before a judge on two felony counts of murder Tuesday morning.
[...]

Orange County Superior Court Judge Stephanie George noted that Wozniak was on probation at the time of the alleged crime. Court records show Wozniak pleaded guilty in September 2009 to a misdemeanor count of driving with a blood-alcohol level exceeding .08.
[...]

The special circumstances mean prosecutors could seek the death penalty against Wozniak, who at a minimum faces life in prison without parole if convicted.
[...]

Wozniak was scheduled to get married last Friday to Rachel Buffett, an actress he met while working at Hunger Artists.

On Tuesday, Senior Deputy District Attorney Matt Murphy said Wozniak was arrested during his bachelor's party Wednesday night at a Huntington Beach restaurant. The prosecutor declined to give more details.

Rachel Buffett attended Tuesday's hearing. Police initially arrested Wozniak's brother, Timothy Wozniak, and Buffett's brother, Noah Buffett, on suspicion of accessory after the fact, but both were released from jail without charges.
http://www.ocregister.com/news/wozniak-251316-herr-county.html

I just hit up Facebook with the links and asked them to do their best to remove Julie as his friend because that is just creepy as all get out to see.

Though innocent until proven guilty, that's fucked up.

The pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together:

1. Looks like he shot Herr in the theatre (wonder if/how he muffled the sound of that AND knew he'd have time to conduct the 'dismemberment' - that part just curdles me).

2. He expected he wouldn't be found somehow and he'd just carry on with his wedding/life?

There must be more but sounds like a pretty dumb plan in the Final Analysis. This guy must just view other people as 'furniture', or 'objects' to be used for his own end. He's seriously detached, but evidently cunning enough to conceal it up to now. It sounds like he just came into an embarrassing situation (second DWI right before marriage, unable to pay rent) and instead of going to his parents for help, he elected to solve his problem with a dastardly deed.

I can't imagine how his victims families are feeling but I bet his fiance is pretty creeped out, too.

Last edited:
If he knew Julie enough to have her on FB, I'm thinking he was jealous that she and Sam were buddies.
Or maybe he thought she spent so much time with him she would notice he was gone almost immediately.
I do understand that most of your FB friends can be due to farmville or something but that's a bit close to home.
Even if he was engaged, his regard for human life and thus feelings doesn't seem to hold up to scrutiny.

This is just a puzzle.

Mushroom tea had nothing to do with this Hellsbells.Crack or speed is a more likely suspect!!!Why in the fuck did he chop off the left arm and right hand?I understand
the head.But fuck,you went that far.Might as well go all the way and make a neat little package.

Not that anything in this thread is funny, but if you go to his "fiancé's" facebook page, she is "no longer listed as engaged".

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Mushroom tea had nothing to do with this Hellsbells.Crack or speed is a more likely suspect!!!Why in the fuck did he chop off the left arm and right hand?I understand
the head.But fuck,you went that far.Might as well go all the way and make a neat little package.

That's a good point; I didn't think about that -- quite possibly some drug activity in his 'stinking thinking'.

Two BIG HOLES in his plan got him caught quick (only one got him caught but the other likely would have soon): using the same ATM machine twice (got him caught), leaving what had to be an awful mess wherever in the theatre he did the 'dismemberment'; surely that would have been discovered soon.

And it's PROBABLE that forensics in the apartment where he killed the gal (and possibly Herr's vehicle, and/or the theatre) would have led to him eventually.

The scary part is if he somehow took precautions to avoid forensic detection at the crime scenes, and then killed the 17 year old who went to the ATM for him... he might have gotten away with this for a good while. I think it would have caught up to him rather quick, however, as they would have canvased Herr's apt. building and discovered his proximity and looked at him as a suspect -- his theatre activity and the location of the 'remains' being left in the theatre at the Base would likely have cooked his goose soon enough - but possibly not until after his 'Honeymoon' -- ewww... that would have just freaked the young bride out, if she isn't already.

(CNN) -- A part-time actor has been accused of killing his neighbor and then luring the victim's friend to her death in an attempt to cover up his crime, authorities in California said.
The Costa Mesa Police Department last week charged Daniel Wozniak, 27, with two counts of murder. Wozniak is being held without bail and will be arraigned June 25, said Farrah Emami, spokesperson for the Orange County District Attorney's Office.
Wozniak has been accused in the shooting death of Samuel Herr, 26, and Juri Kibuishi, 23, of Irvine, police said.
According to investigators, Wozniak and Herr, who lived in the same residential complex in Costa Mesa, drove to the Los Alamitos Joint Forces Training Base on Friday, May 21. It is at the base that Wozniak shot and killed Herr for financial gain, police said.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/06/01/california.actor.murder.charges/index.html

County prosecutors announced Thursday that they will seek the death penalty against a 26-year-old Costa Mesa man accused of slaying and dismembering an Army veteran and then killing the man's friend to throw police off his trail.
[...]

During a news conference Thursday, District Attorney Tony Rackauckas said Wozniak had no regard for human life, calling him callous and heartless. "He's an actor that considers himself to be a star and all other people to be living props in his play," Rackauckas said.

Rackauckas also called Wozniak a "greedy groom" who was broke and wanted to steal money for his wedding.
[...]

Kibuishi's older brother, Taka Kibuishi, 30, said he agreed with the prosecutors' decision to seek the death penalty. He and his parents spoke publicly about their loss at the District Attorney's office Thursday.

Taka Kibuishi was having dinner with his sister in Long Beach the night she was killed, he told reporters. Julie kept getting text messages – which authorities say were seemingly from Herr but really from Wozniak.

"She described Herr as an older brother, someone who like me would look out for her,'' Taka Kibuishi said.
[...]

On Thursday, Herr was buried during a private military funeral. His father, Steven Herr, said he supported the death penalty for Wozniak.

"I'm behind it 100 percent,'' he said. "This is what I want."

Herr served in the Army from 2006 to 2009, including a 15-month tour of duty in Afghanistan, according to Herr's mother, who declined to give her name.

Herr, who was her only child, was engaged to be married and was a student at Orange Coast College, she said. He wanted to return to the Army one day, she said.
[...]

Authorities Wozniak's motive for the murders was money: Wozniak got the 17-year-old boy to use Herr's ATM card to get about $2,000, they said.

Wozniak had "a spotty employment record," said Sgt. Ed Everett of the Costa Mesa Police Department. He was involved with "some sort of promotions business with his fiancee's brother, but they weren't making any money," Everett said.

His relationship with his parents had been strained for several months due to his relationship with Rachel Buffett, his fiancee, Everett said.

After Herr was killed, somebody continued to use his MySpace and Skype accounts. Everett noticed on May 27 that somebody had logged into Herr's MySpace account that day.

After Kibuishi's boyfriend, Mark Johnson, got the awful news, he saw somebody using Herr's Skype account. At the time, police suspected Herr had murdered her.

"I do not know for sure who it was," Johnson wrote to a reporter. "I thought it was Sam and just sent him a message saying that he can't run forever, and got a reply stating yes he can, and by the way this isn't Sam, and then the person signed off."

Johnson is a Marine combat engineer stationed in Okinawa; he met Kibuishi online. They'd talk on Skype "for hours on end," he said.

He got to know Herr through his girlfriend. Herr even invited Johnson to stay at his place during a visit planned for this summer.
[...]

Johnson "had no idea" who Wozniak was until the arrest.
http://www.ocregister.com/news/herr-252795-wozniak-police.html

14in68n.jpg
w9dus2.jpg

Juri "Julie" Kibuishi / Samuel Herr

2 more arrests in decapitation killing of college student, friend

February 25, 2012
Prosecutors on Friday announced charges against two people suspected of being accessories after the fact in a complicated double-murder case that rattled a Costa Mesa apartment complex in May 2010.

The suspects were arrested and charged in connection with the slaying of college student Samuel Herr, 26, of Costa Mesa and Herr's friend, Irvine resident Juri "Julie" Kibuishi, 23An actor has been charged in their killings.

Police, however, have declined to publicly name the new suspects or describe their alleged roles in the case.

"The release of more information at this stage of the ongoing investigation may compromise witnesses and/or may jeopardize the possible arrest of any additionally involved persons," Costa Mesa police Lt. Tim Schennum wrote in an email.

Those arrested are not believed to have participated in or planned the murders, said Costa Mesa police Lt. Paul Dondero.

"Someone had the opportunity to contact the police or knew there was evidence of a crime and failed to do so," Dondero said of the arrested suspects.

Daniel Patrick Wozniak, 27, who worked as a community playhouse actor, faces the death penalty in the case. Prosecutors allege that Wozniak killed Herr, his neighbor at the Camden Martinique apartment complex on Pinecreek Drive, after luring him to the military base in Los Alamitos.

Wozniak, prosecutors allege, then killed Kibuishi at Herr's apartment. The scene was made to look like a sexual assault so authorities would suspect Herr of Kibuishi's murder, prosecutors contend.

Herr's body was dismembered. Body parts -- including Herr's severed head -- were eventually found scattered in a park in Long Beach, according to the Daily Pilot.

Herr was an Afghanistan war veteran and Orange Coast College student. Kibuishi also attended OCC.
[...]
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...tation-killing-of-college-student-friend.html

2 more arrests in decapitation killing of college student, friend

February 25, 2012
Prosecutors on Friday announced charges against two people suspected of being accessories after the fact in a complicated double-murder case that rattled a Costa Mesa apartment complex in May 2010.

The suspects were arrested and charged in connection with the slaying of college student Samuel Herr, 26, of Costa Mesa and Herr's friend, Irvine resident Juri "Julie" Kibuishi, 23An actor has been charged in their killings.

Police, however, have declined to publicly name the new suspects or describe their alleged roles in the case.

"The release of more information at this stage of the ongoing investigation may compromise witnesses and/or may jeopardize the possible arrest of any additionally involved persons," Costa Mesa police Lt. Tim Schennum wrote in an email.

Those arrested are not believed to have participated in or planned the murders, said Costa Mesa police Lt. Paul Dondero.

"Someone had the opportunity to contact the police or knew there was evidence of a crime and failed to do so," Dondero said of the arrested suspects.

Daniel Patrick Wozniak, 27, who worked as a community playhouse actor, faces the death penalty in the case. Prosecutors allege that Wozniak killed Herr, his neighbor at the Camden Martinique apartment complex on Pinecreek Drive, after luring him to the military base in Los Alamitos.

Wozniak, prosecutors allege, then killed Kibuishi at Herr's apartment. The scene was made to look like a sexual assault so authorities would suspect Herr of Kibuishi's murder, prosecutors contend.

Herr's body was dismembered. Body parts -- including Herr's severed head -- were eventually found scattered in a park in Long Beach, according to the Daily Pilot.

Herr was an Afghanistan war veteran and Orange Coast College student. Kibuishi also attended OCC.
[...]
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...tation-killing-of-college-student-friend.html

2v0o9yw.jpg
Samuel Herr,​

Rachel Buffett, the California actress who is accused of helping her ex-fiance Dan Wozniak cover up an alleged double-murder, says she was duped, and her only crime was falling for the wrong man.

"I'm innocent," Buffett told ABC News Tuesday. "It was like the person I loved never really existed."

Police say the Long Beach, Calif., actress, 25, wasn't tricked at all, and not only knew the real Wozniak, who is charged with killing two friends in an attempted money-making plan, but that she was an accessory, covering up the crime.

Wozniak, 28, is in jail on two felony counts of special circumstances murder, while Buffett is out on $1 million bail after she was taken into custody Nov. 20 on suspicion of being an accessory to murder after the fact, the Los Angeles Times reported.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/california-murder-mystery-actress-rachel-buffet-duped/story?id=17941220

Opening statements were underway Wednesday in the double murder trial of Daniel Wozniak, a man accused of killing two people for money, in part, to pay for his wedding.

Daniel Wozniak appeared to smile as he entered the courtroom for his trial more than 5 1/2 years after he allegedly killed his neighbor, 26-year-old Army veteran Sam Herr, and Herr's friend Juri "Julie" Kibuishi.

Jurors heard how Wozniak allegedly lured Herr to a theatre attic at the Los Alamitos Joint Forces Base on May 21, 2010.

"Sam knelt down and Daniel Wozniak pulled out his father's Llama .380 automatic pistol. He aimed it and shot Sam in the head," Prosecutor Matt Murphy told jurors.

Prosecutors said the first shot did not kill him, so Wozniak fired a second shot into the side of Herr's head. He then allegedly took Herr's wallet and phone.

Prosecutors said it was part of a plan to solve money problems. He had no paying job and was facing eviction.

"He needs money for bills, he needs money for overdrawn bank accounts, and he's getting married in a week and a half," said Murphy.

Wozniak, a local community theater actor, was engaged to a fellow actor Rachel Buffett. They were supposed to be married May 28, 2010.

Prosecutors allege Wozniak's plan included using Herr's cell phone to lure a woman to Herr's apartment.

Authorities allege Wozniak texted Kibuishi, pretending to be Herr, telling her he needed to talk. The prosecutor read part of the text message: "You sure you won't let me down. Julie: 'I never let my friends down when they need me there.'"

Kibuishi arrived at Herr's Costa Mesa apartment around midnight. Wozniak allegedly lured her into Herr's bedroom, telling her to look at something on the bed.

"He pulls out the same gun and he aims at her head and he shoots her twice and kills her", said Murphy.
http://abc7.com/news/oc-actor-stands-trial-5-years-after-alleged-double-murder/1116756/

I can't find anything else on the girlfriend no trial or what not. Hopefully she pleaded guilty to the accessory charge and is serving her time. Or not. She could have gotten off free.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/notes-714699-wozniak-sheriff.html
Orange County sheriff’s officials testified Tuesday they have uncovered dozens of pages of notes kept by deputies that should have been turned over before the double murder trial of community theater actor Daniel Wozniak.

Sgt. Kirsten Monteleone, the Orange County Jail’s custodian of records, told a judge she never knew that deputies in the special handling unit kept logs about Wozniak and a prolific jailhouse informant.

Adam Powell, commander of the sheriff’s investigative services, testified Tuesday that he, too, is stunned to learn of the logs and that no one in the command staff of Sheriff Sandra Hutchens knew of them, either.

The disclosures came in response to a hearing on the latest records subpoenaed by Assistant Public Defender Scott Sanders, who represents Wozniak and has waged an ongoing war with police and prosecutorsover the secret use of jailhouse informants.

As Wozniak’s death penalty sentencing approaches, the notes on the convicted killer and prolific informant Fernando Perez were recently discovered buried in a jail computer system[....]

“The OCDA expects police officers to tell the truth and pursue justice,” prosecutors said in the statement. “The OCDA finds it distressing that these notes would be withheld from the OCDA, the court, and the public until this hearing. The OCDA has been assured by Sheriff Sandra Hutchens that she will take appropriate internal actions to address this issue.”

Sheriff’s Lt. Mark Stichter on Tuesday night responded that the department has worked to comply with all requests for documents and will continue those efforts.

“Sheriff Hutchens also desires all police officers to tell the truth and pursue justice,” he said.

Orange County Superior Court Judge John Conley ordered the supervisor of the department’s special-handling deputies – who work with jailhouse informants – to testify Tuesday and explain 78 pages of newly discovered notes.

Monteleone, who has been on the job for 15 months, said she was unaware that Deputy Ben Garcia and others kept the logs, which spanned 2008 to 2013.

“I have no idea how they were doing it, sir,” Monteleone testified. “I was surprised.”

After a deputy turned over notes in February in another criminal case, Powell said he sent out an email to more than 300 deputies asking them to turn over any notes they might have kept about their work in the jail.

On Tuesday, Conley turned over the notes pertaining to Wozniak and Perez to the public defender and prosecution team and issued a protective order sealing the records to the public.
[....]
Sanders contends that deputies improperly used Perez, the jailhouse informant, in the case. In October, before the trial, Conley ruled that Sanders “failed to show that outrageous government misconduct occurred” in the Wozniak case.

This week, however, Conley questioned discrepancies in the newly discovered deputy notes provided to the court.

On Friday, the judge received 50 pages of notes from the Sheriff’s Department. On Monday, the number grew to 78 pages of notes covering a wider period of time.

The discovery prompted Conley to call in the department’s custodian of records, Monteleone, to explain the handling of the documents.

She spent much of Tuesday discussing the documents, the deputies involved and her own lack of knowledge on the issue until recently.
[....]
Testimony on the newly discovered notes in the Wozniak case is expected to continue Thursday before Conley.

Back